Basketball Players To Start Wearing Boxing Helmets?

most viewed right now
 NFL So lets speculate what the Antonio Brown injury might be
15 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
63 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 NFL JuJu turns the hit on Vontaze Burfict that got him suspended into a TD cel..
16 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #1
6878 pageviews
39 comments

DrockSteady 44 heat pts44
space
space
$5,974 | Props total: 2 2
Basketball Players To Start Wearing Boxing Helmets?

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

John Peckinpaugh dreaded playing basketball in a boxing helmet in front of a hostile crowd, so imagine his surprise last week when Xavier students largely ignored his clumsy headgear.

"They were making fun of my red hair," the Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne junior said. "I'm like, 'Why are you guys making fun of my hair? I have a boxing helmet on.'"

Whether or not future student hecklers get more creative with their jabs and insults, Peckinpaugh will continue to don a protective helmet the rest of the season in hopes of diminishing the risk of another concussion. Peckinpaugh sustained four concussions during his sophomore season, sidelining him for 12 games and forcing him to seriously consider giving up basketball.

Upon weighing his options for several months last spring and consulting with his parents and neurologists, Peckinpaugh decided the risk of longterm side effects was not severe enough to forgo his final two years of college basketball. IPFW team doctor Eric Jenkinson gave coach Dane Fife permission to play Peckinpaugh only if he committed to wear a mouthpiece and the helmet during practices and games.

[Photo: NFL player's new anti-concussion helmet]

"We're just trying to protect him if he gets hit in the head or takes a charge, falls backward and smacks the back of his head," Jenkinson said. "The boxing helmet comes down around the jaw and so you're lessening the impact around the jaw, which is thought to increase the risk of concussion. That jawbone will get pushed up in the skull and that's what causes the brain to go back and forth."

Although Peckinpaugh understands the need to be cautious with his health, that doesn't make the boxing headgear any less of a nuisance. Not only is the helmet's heavy padding oppressively hot, it also restricts his peripheral vision the way blinders do for a horse.

"The first exhibition game, he tried to hide it in the locker room so he wouldn't have to wear it and coach Fife told him to get it and make sure he had it on during the game," Peckinpaugh's father, Jon, said. "The second game he tried to forget it on the bench and coach Fife pointed it out again.

"Then after the game, coach Fife made a point of telling him, 'Next time you forget the helmet you just won't play.' So he'll be wearing the helmet as long as coach Fife deems it necessary."

It's no surprise to those close to Peckinpaugh that he's susceptible to concussions because he never shied away from contact even as a kid. The Muncie, Ind., native would routinely return home from pick-up games with skinned knees, bruises all over his arms or a knot on the side of his head.

[Related: The dangerous lasting impact of concussions]

As Peckinpaugh grew older and began thinking of playing basketball in college, it became clear that toughness and grit was his ticket to a Division I scholarship. What the 6-foot-5 forward lacks in size, speed and explosiveness he makes up for with his willingness to dive on the floor after loose balls or to step in front of an oncoming guard to take a charge.

"I really have no idea where it comes from," Peckinpaugh's father said. "Off the court John is very soft-spoken, very mild-mannered. When he crosses the line, the competitive juices get flowing and he's a totally different person. He's always played with reckless abandon. He really has no stop button."

Peckinpaugh sustained a mild concussion or two in high school, but his first one at IPFW didn't come until the summer before his sophomore season when he caught an elbow to the head during an open gym. The next two occurred within days of each other in practice a couple months later, the latter of which was severe enough that Peckinpaugh lost consciousness after coming down face first on a teammate's knee.

Although Peckinpaugh endured bouts of dizziness and nausea and couldn't focus for weeks in practice or class, he didn't think twice about returning to the court following an eight-game absence once the side effects cleared. It wasn't until he sustained a fourth concussion a few days before the Summit League conference tournament last March that he and his family began seriously discussing giving up basketball.

From the day of that final concussion until the end of the summer, IPFW coaches forbade Peckinpaugh from running, shooting, dribbling or participating in any sort of basketball activity whatsoever. Midway through that agonizing hiatus, Peckinpaugh decided he wasn't ready to make the temporary break from basketball into a permanent one.

"I decided I didn't want to give up the game I loved and I'd do whatever it takes to keep playing," Peckinpaugh said. "I looked at what some of the long-term side effects were. My doctor told me my concussions weren't severe enough to have those side effects, so I wanted to give it another chance."

Three games into his junior season, a concussion-free Peckinpaugh has no regrets. He's averaging 3.7 points and 5.7 rebounds in 30 minutes per game for IPFW, helping the Mastodons win their season opener and then put a scare into both Xavier and Cincinnati on the road.

[Related: Homecoming king provides a reminder of danger of head injuries]

The only major test the boxing helmet has withstood came during IPFW's first game of the season when an SIU Edwardsville player caught Peckinpaugh in the chin with an elbow.

"I was stunned for a second but I didn't get a headache or anything," Peckinpaugh said. "The padding in the helmet probably helped some, I would say."

It's because of incidents like this that Peckinpaugh will keep wearing the boxing headgear no matter how uncomfortable or embarrassing it is.

For a guy who sustained four concussions in just a few months, a blow to the ego is better than a blow to the head.

[pic - click to view]

Why an IPFW forward wears boxing headgear during games - The Dagger - NCAAB* - Yahoo! Sports

39 comments for "Basketball Players To Start Wearing Boxing Helmets?"

7 years ago '05        #2
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,711 | Props total: 7021 7021
wow
 7 years ago '10        #3
lboog1423 297 heat pts297
space
space
$34,193 | Props total: 15731 15731
n*gga just needs to give it up if he gotta do all that
 7 years ago '04        #4
slipnslide85 88 heat pts88
space
space
$7,723 | Props total: 5104 5104
This guy looks like Butters tryin to play Bball

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '07        #5
jkjb16a 
space
space
$590 | Props total: 1 1
 slipnslide85 said:

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '05        #6
2 Pistolz 13 heat pts13
space
space
$17,694 | Props total: 8 8

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '07        #7
sleep23rd 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,829 | Props total: 333 333
as long as it dont make him over heat, I dont see a problem with this...elbows in the paint could cause concussions...
 7 years ago '10        #8
Rot10MilkSteak 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,741 | Props total: 8 8
is he a tard?
 7 years ago '04        #9
LightsOut 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,609 | Props total: 1 1
why does this thread title say basketball players when it's just one dude with 4 concussions?
 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM         #10
Rich-Young 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 slipnslide85 said:

[pic - click to view]

lmaooo WIN
 7 years ago '06        #11
~ KiLLa KaZi ~ 
space
space
space
$4,869 | Props total: 102 102
 slipnslide85 said:

[pic - click to view]

11-23-2010, 06:52 PM         #12
KingoBling 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dude looks like a hazard on the court.
 7 years ago '05        #13
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$37,000 | Props total: 1319 1319
 7 years ago '05        #14
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Bea5T; 11-23-2010 at 07:22 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #15
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,737 | Props total: 12561 12561
Just from those two pictures alone dude looks like one of the outta control n*ggas you play with at the gym.. I can see why he got 4 concussions in one year..
 7 years ago '06        #16
youngskits718 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$5,119 | Props total: 16 16
 Bea5T said:

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '10        #17
ineedmusic23 2 heat pts
space
space
$775 | Props total: 152 152
I came to realization I should give it up when I had to wear ankle braces.

lboog1423 said:
n*gga just needs to give it up if he gotta do all that
 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM         #18
FreshPrince 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Dumbest idea...
 7 years ago '04        #19
TBX 31 heat pts31
space
space
$2,937 | Props total: 615 615
 Hold That said:
Just from those two pictures alone dude looks like one of the outta control n*ggas you play with at the gym.. I can see why he got 4 concussions in one year..
Exactly what I was thinking
 7 years ago '04        #20
Liquid-Science 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$17,502 | Props total: 793 793
how the f**k do you get 4 concussions playing basketball?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
32 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
119 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
84 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Shane Larkin trolls a BX member
14 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
320 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
170 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside So BX, you smashin or nah? :dead:
23 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
123 comments
24 hours ago