MLB offseason Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
29 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
100 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
269 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
74 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #61
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,753 | Props total: 13138 13138
Blue Jays Have Inquired On Greinke, Gordon
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 11 at 7:54am CST]

The Blue Jays have inquired about the availability of Zack Greinke and Alex Gordon, according to Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun. As Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reported yesterday, the Royals are looking for multiple top prospects for Greinke.

The Blue Jays have Shaun Marcum, Brandon Morrow, Ricky Romero, Brett Cecil and Kyle Drabek pencilled in to their 2011 rotation. They could either let Drabek begin the year in the minors or trade a starter of their own if they acquired Greinke.

Gordon could play first or third for the Blue Jays, but it’s unlikely that he would patrol the outfield, where Travis Snider, Vernon Wells and Jose Bautista figure to get most of the playing time.

It’s not surprising to hear that the Blue Jays inquired on Greinke, a former Cy Young Award winner, and Gordon, a former first rounder who has always destroyed minor league pitching, but it doesn’t mean that GM Alex Anthopoulos will make the Royals a serious offer.
Even tho thats an ideal spot for him, he probably doesnt want it with the rest of the AL East.
 7 years ago '04        #62
space
space
 keithbm1111 said:
I dont want Werth, i want Crawford. Jason Bay has been a better player than Werth, so why sign him?

Crawford is deadly in all aspects
Werth would beast in Fenway. Dont think he's going to be worth the money he's going to get. Crawford just doesnt seem like a good fit for the Sox. He seems Angels bound.
 7 years ago '07        #63
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,234 | Props total: 20028 20028
Crawford is a good fit for Boston, now i hope he goes to Cubs he prob won't but anyone who thinks he wouldn't fit in Boston is crazy. He is a gold glover and is left handed, he will rake @ fenway
 7 years ago '05        #64
SacTown|B 17 heat pts17
space
space
$16,827 | Props total: 2 2
 stunna2004 said:
KC would probably ask for Latos which wouldnt make sense for SD.
man you jus got all the answers :budden:
 7 years ago '04        #65
space
space
 PLAYERIZM said:
man you jus got all the answers :budden:
If you know baseball, aces locked up in their prime cheaply, GM's always ask for alot in return. KC would definately ask for Latos.

illogik said:
Still don't know why everyone is hyped up over him
Idk either. Had 1 great year sandwiched between 2 decent years. If im a large market team, I don't touch this guy at all.
 7 years ago '05        #66
SacTown|B 17 heat pts17
space
space
$16,827 | Props total: 2 2
 stunna2004 said:
If you know baseball, aces locked up in their prime cheaply, GM's always ask for alot in return. KC would definately ask for Latos.
i never spoke on the likelihood of a deal getting done between SD & KC

I just said SD would would be a perfect fit for Zack

and if KC is asking for a teams ace in return then its obviously not gonna happen
 7 years ago '08        #67
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
$39,321 | Props total: 13700 13700
 Bronx Goes Hard said:

[pic - click to view]

You can definitely classify Royals Ace Zack Greinke under the class of game changer, but he's not in the open market as he is still under the Royals' control. The Royals announced earlier that they would be listening to offers for Zack Grienke this offseason but they are going to require a little more than a bad b**ch, a bag of weed and a bottle of Hennesey. As BX knows, The Yankees and Red Sox have rich talent pools they could use to a.ssemble a blockbuster trade that would land Grienke in their uniform, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

ESPN's Jayson Stark says that Grienke would veto ANY trade to a major market East Coast team, shots fired? Apparently Grienke would be open to pitching in Los Angeles but that's about as far as Stark got with Grienke's preferences for his next club. My problem is, why on earth would either the Royals or Grienke's camp leak out info that he'd veto offers from the Red Sox and the Yankees? That's poor negotiating right there as you've pretty much shaved off a year and 10-20 Mil off your extension and the Royals might have dropped to a Type A/B or A/C/C type of trade knowing that those two powerhouses are out of the running. Grienke better MAN UP and listen to anyone willing to give away prospects for his a.ss, period.

Other Notes:

I wonder if Jeter could ask for...

[pic - click to view]

ONE BILLION DOLLARS...with incentives of course. One key incentive in year twenty-two, give a drunken interview during the game like Joe Namath did for the Jets.
____

Did everyone forget about Brandon Webb? I know teams are very afraid of injury prone arms who never live up to their potential, but if Brad Penny could get signed, why not give Webb a workout? I have a feeling Webb is going to sign sometime in January on a very brief contract with a team just to see if he's going to get his old stuff back over the course of a season.

I forgot all about brandon webb when healthy he is a top 5 pitcher
 7 years ago '08        #68
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Free agent Dye wants to play in 2011

Free-agent outfielder Jermaine Dye, who sat out the 2010 season, intends to play again in '11.

Dye said Thursday he's already been contacted by three teams — the Phillies, Rays and Rockies. Rather than working with an agent, he's representing himself.

Multiple teams also were interested in Dye last offseason, including the Cubs, Brewers and Nationals, but he chose not to play and acknowledged he turned down a one-year. $3 million offer from the Cubs.

Asked if money was as important this time around, Dye said, “No, not at all. I just want to play for a contender and am open to playing other positions. But I won't do a minor league deal.”"

Dye, the 2005 World Series MVP, hit 27 homers and drove in 87 runs for the White Sox in '09. From '05 to '09, he ranked first among American League outfielders in homers and second in RBI.

He was caught in the middle of two recent trends last offseason — the reluctance of teams to sign older players and the increased emphasis by clubs on defense.

At that time, Dye did express a willingness to play first base in addition to the outfield.

7 years ago '08        #69
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Tigers set sights on free agent Martinez

The Detroit Tigers have made clear their intent to acquire a middle-of-the-order hitter.

And right now, they're focused on Victor Martinez.

Martinez, the switch-hitting catcher, has become the Tigers' top priority among all free-agent hitters — including Jayson Werth and Adam Dunn — multiple sources said Thursday.

It's not clear whether Detroit's made a contract offer to Martinez, who's believed to be seeking a four or five-year deal.

Martinez produced close to his career norms for the Boston Red Sox this year, batting .302 with 20 home runs and 79 RBI. The Red Sox, Orioles and Rangers are among the teams that have been linked to him this offseason.

Martinez, who turns 32 next month, would like to catch as much as possible. The subject of playing time behind the plate is certain to come up in discussions between the Tigers and representatives for Martinez.

Alex Avila, who batted .228 this year, is the only catcher currently on Detroit's 40-man roster. His father, Al Avila, is the team's a.ssistant general manager.

The biggest drawback to Martinez is a below-average throwing arm, but he still started an average of 94 games at catcher during the past two seasons. The Tigers should be able to accommodate at least that number of starts, with Martinez spending the rest of his time as a designated hitter.

Martinez also has experience at first base, but he wouldn't figure to play there very often in Detroit. Star first baseman Miguel Cabrera made only two starts at DH this year, despite battling injuries.

Detroit has two advantages with Martinez it doesn't have with fellow free agents Werth, Dunn or Carl Crawford: Martinez is very familiar with living in the Midwest, having started his career with the Cleveland Indians. And the Tigers have become one of the most popular teams in Martinez's native Venezuela, because of Cabrera, Carlos Guillen and Magglio Ordonez.

7 years ago '08        #70
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Free agent Jeter meets with Yankees

NEW YORK (AFP) – Derek Jeter, the New York Yankees captain who is a free agent for the first time, has had preliminary talks with Yankees executives as they prepare for contract negotiations.

"Really it doesn't feel like there's anything different," Jeter said Thursday. "I understand there's negotiations that are going to come and those sorts of things, but for me personally I don't feel any different."

Jeter and his agent, Casey Close, met with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner and team president Randy Levine on Monday in Tampa, Florida.

"It really wasn't that big of a deal," Jeter said. "It wasn't like meeting people for the first time."

Cashman, Jeter and fellow free agent Mariano Rivera - the Yankees' longtime closing pitcher - were all together in New York on Thursday, attending a benefit for former manager Joe Torre's Safe At Home Foundation.

Cashman said the talks with Jeter were in their "infancy stages," but added: "He wants us as much as we want him."

11-12-2010, 04:15 AM         #71
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 dj ac said:
I swear, Joe Torre's "Safe At Home" benefit for the last five years have been a Hot Stove speaking post.
 7 years ago '04        #72
space
space
Fanhouse's Tom Krasovic reports that the Marlins will pick up relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica from the Padres for Cameron Maybin.

So, the Marlins now have four relievers to show for the Miguel Cabrera-Dontrelle Willis trade with the Tigers: Burke Badenhop (a product of the original deal), Dustin Richardson (who was acquired from the Red Sox for Andrew Miller yesterday), Webb and Mujica. Webb could potentially turn into a closer for the Marlins, but this is still an awfully risky trade for Florida. They need to gamble on exciting young position players, not trade them for setup men.
Damn Florida got hosed
 7 years ago '04        #73
space
space
ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Dodgers are close to finalizing a one-year, $12 million deal with free agent Hiroki Kuroda.

The deal was first reported by multiple Japanese media outlets, but it looks to be concrete now that Olney is jumping on board. Kuroda, who will turn 36 in February, posted a 3.39 ERA and 1.16 WHIP over 31 starts in 2010. It's a bit much to pay for the Japanese import, but getting Kuroda back on a one-year pact is a solid move for the Dodgers.
Source: ESPN.com
Dodgers got a decent rotation in Billz, Kershaw, Kuroda and Lilly
 7 years ago '08        #74
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
A's awarded 3B Encarnacion on waivers

The Oakland A's have acquired third baseman Edwin Encarnacion from the Toronto Blue Jays on a waiver claim.

The 27-year-old Encarnacion hit 21 home runs with 51 RBI while batting .244 for Toronto last season.

He made his major league debut with Cincinnati in 2005 and is a career .258 hitter with 100 homers.

A's been the busiest team so far
 7 years ago '08        #75
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Beltran would consider waiving no-trade clause

Carlos Beltran would consider waiving his no-trade clause if the New York Mets approach him with a deal.

The 33-year-old outfielder was limited to 64 games this year and 81 the previous season because of right knee injuries. He is owed $18.5 million in the final season of his contract.

"When they approach me, I have to call my agent," he said Thursday. "I have to listen. I know that I have the no-trade clause, but if the team is searching or looking to trade a guy, I have to listen. I want to be a Met. I want to finish my career with the Mets."

A five-time All-Star, Beltran also would consider a shift to a corner outfield spot with the Mets but prefers to stay in center.

"In my heart, if that happens, I have to listen," he said. "Personally, me feeling the way I feel and looking forward to getting to spring training feeling 100 percent, I still feel that I can play center field, but if the organization has different things in mind, then we have to talk about it."

Beltran is preparing for the opening next year of his high school with a baseball academy attached in Puerto Rico, and new Mets general manager Sandy Alderson plans to visit him this weekend to attend a fundraiser for the school Saturday night.

7 years ago '08        #76
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Sox GM wants to keep Beltre, Martinez

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein says his preference at two key positions is to keep third baseman Adrian Beltre and catcher Victor Martinez in Boston.

Epstein said Friday he doesn't know if that will happen, but made it clear he wants both free agents back.

Beltre hit .321 with 28 homers and 102 RBI in his first season with Boston.

Martinez hit .302 with 20 homers and 79 RBI despite being limited by injury to 127 games.

Epstein also said on a conference call with reporters that there's been very good progress from four players who missed significant time with injuries last season: Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, Jacoby Ellsbury and Mike Cameron.

7 years ago '04        #77
space
space
Mets might as well keep Beltran. They'd have to pay atleast half his salary to move him and won't be able to replace his production in the lineup. Just put the crybaby in RF to preserve his knees, Pagan in CF, and Bay in LF and hope for the best.
 7 years ago '04        #78
space
space
We all know the Redsox aren't going to give V-Mart a 4th year so he'll be Baltimore or Detroit bound. As for Beltre, he'll be back unless they miraculously trade for A-Gonz before the season.
 7 years ago '04        #79
space
space
Yankees GM Brian Cashman told the New York Daily News that he was "impressed" with Cliff Lee after meeting the free agent right-hander Thursday.
"Although it's the first time I've met him, I've seen enough of his interviews," Cashman said. "Excellent at what he does, knows what he wants to do, wants to put his family in the best position possible, wants to be happy, wants to be successful and wants to be part of a winner." Lee posted a 3.18 ERA and 1.00 WHIP over 28 starts this season, fanning 185 batters while issuing only 18 walks. The Yankees and Rangers are expected to engage in a massive bidding war this offseason for his long-term services.
A source tells Craig Calcaterra of NBCSports.com that Cliff Lee was "not terribly happy in Texas" and is concerned about how his body would hold up pitching in the Texas heat.
Lee is a great pitcher no matter the venue, but he is 32 years old and dealt with a back problem during the second half of the season. July and August in New York aren't exactly a treat, either, but if this is a legitimate concern, it could give the Yankees an advantage should he receive similar offers.
@ Lee. I wish we'd have him locked up before Thanksgiving but I guess we'll have to settle for during the Winter Meetings.
 7 years ago '08        #80
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
On Friday, the Red Sox traded left-handed reliever Dustin Richardson, who flopped in his audition with the team this past season, to the Marlins for another left-hander, Andrew Miller. according to an ESPN.com report.

Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
75 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
111 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
45 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
115 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
124 comments
18 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
21 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
116 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
107 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy