MLB offseason Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
129 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
41 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
9128 pageviews
442 comments

AC_89 200 heat pts200
space
space
$39,238 | Props total: 13601 13601
MLB offseason Thread

Two days after losing in the World Series, the Texas Rangers' offseason began in earnest with the news that the club would not exercise Vladimir Guerrero's $9 million option for 2011, making him a free agent.

The move was anticipated given the nature of Guerrero's deal.

General manager Jon Daniels confirmed Wednesday that when the team agreed to terms with Guerrero last summer, the option in his contract was never meant to be exercised. Rather, it was in place to earn the 35-year-old designated hitter a bonus in the form of the $1 million dollar buyout Texas paid to nullify the second year of the deal.

Daniels said the team would like have Guerrero back next season and that the slugger has expressed interest in staying a Ranger.

"I definitely see a scenario where Vlad can be back," Daniels said. "We haven't had a chance to talk about it but we will soon.

"He was huge for us this year, both on the field and in the clubhouse."

Manager Ron Washington, meanwhile, feels confident Guerrero will remain with the Rangers.

"Vlad has expressed interest in coming back and Jon works magic in negotiations," Washington said.

The Erik Bedard experiment in Seattle is over.

The Mariners cut ties with the oft-injured left-hander on Wednesday, declining to exercise an $8 million option for the 2011 season.

Seattle also turned down options on designated hitter Russell Branyan and third baseman Jose Lopez. The Mariners opted to let Branyan go instead of locking him up for next year at $5 million. Lopez would have been due $4.5 million if Seattle exercised its option on him, but he becomes eligible for salary arbitration.

Seattle will pay a $250,000 buyout on Bedard and $500,000 on Branyan, making each a free agent.

Bedard could never stay healthy following his much-hyped trade from Baltimore before the 2008 season. He made just 30 starts in three years with the Mariners and hasn't pitched in a major league game since the middle of the 2009 season. He finished with an 11-7 record and 3.24 ERA in his time with the Mariners, but was sidelined for nearly two full seasons by shoulder problems.

Branyan was reacquired by Seattle in June in a trade with Cleveland. He was a breakout for the Mariners in 2009, hitting a career-high 31 home runs and 76 RBIs, but a bad back made Seattle leery of bringing him back in 2010.

After coming over from Cleveland, Branyan hit 15 homers for Seattle, starting 30 of his 34 games at DH.

Lopez moved from second to third base with the arrival of Chone Figgins in Seattle and proceeded to have the worst offensive year of his career. Lopez hit just .239 and had an on-base percentage of .270. His homers dipped from 25 in 2009 to just 10 last season and RBIs dropped from 96 to 58.

Seattle also sent several players outright to Triple-A Tacoma: left-hander Ryan Feierabend, outfielder Ryan Langerhans, catcher Guillermo Quiroz, left-hander Chris Seddon and right-hander Sean White.

Quiroz and Langerhans refused the a.ssignments and elected to become free agents.

Seattle also claimed right-hander Brian Sweeney off waivers from Arizona, leaving the Mariners 40-man roster at 30.

The New York Mets have exercised their $11 million option on Jose Reyes' contract for the 2011 season.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Wednesday that ''a long term deal is not out of the question'' for the injury prone All-Star shortstop.

The 27-year-old Reyes signed a four-year, $23.5 million contract before the 2007 season. The Mets held an option for next year with a $500,000 buyout.

Slowed by a thyroid problem and a side injury, Reyes played 133 games last season after missing all but 36 games with hamstring problems in 2009.

He hit .282, with 10 triples, 11 home runs, 54 RBIs and 30 stolen bases. He made his third All-Star team in eight big league seasons.

Aaron Harang knew it was time to move on.

The Reds declined to exercise their contract option for the right-hander on Wednesday, making him a free agent. The NL Central champions also declined shortstop Orlando Cabrera's option, but decided to keep right-hander Bronson Arroyo and left fielder Jonny Gomes.

The move with Harang was no surprise. His option called for a salary of $12.75 million, too pricey for a pitcher who struggled the last few seasons and lost his spot in the rotation. Instead, the Reds paid a $2 million buyout.

"Obviously it was a high option," Harang told The a.ssociated Press in an interview from his home in San Diego. "With the struggles I've had the past couple years and a few injuries and stuff, I just had a feeling that was going to happen and probably end my tenure with the Reds. It was kind of to be expected.

"It's sad in a way, but I guess maybe it's a way of telling me it's time to move on and go somewhere else and see if I can get things back on track."

The 32-year-old pitcher started his career in Oakland in 2002, came to the Reds in a trade the following year, and was the cornerstone of the rotation during a franchise losing streak that lasted nine years. He went 16-11 in 2006 and 16-6 the following season, even though the lineup was in constant flux.

"It's not easy being on a team where it was like a revolving door in the clubhouse," Harang said. "You didn't have the same teammates all year round. You were just getting to know guys and they'd get sent out and somebody else was coming in. But I went out and tried to do my best with what I'd have behind me."

His performance fell off the last three years. Harang went 6-17 in 2008, 6-14 the following year. He made his fifth straight opening day start last season, but back spasms cost him two months. He struggled when he returned and was demoted to the bullpen.

Manager Dusty Baker allowed him to start the final regular season game against Milwaukee, a gesture that touched Harang. He dabbed away tears after the game.

"I think it was kind of a way of informally letting me know that I probably wouldn't be back," said Harang, who was forced to leave in the third inning because of a blister. "But it was a nice gesture on Dusty's part, getting me out there to get a send-off. He gave me a copy of the final game card, stuff like that. It's a good memory to be able to leave Cincinnati that way."

Harang finished with a 6-7 record and a 5.32 ERA.

442 comments for "MLB offseason Thread"

7 years ago '08        #2
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Huff Likely To Hit Open Market Before Reaching New Deal With Giants

Nov 04, 2010 12:57 PM EST
Aubrey Huff and the Giants have mutual interest in working out a new contract and the first baseman said there’s a “pretty good chance” an agreement will be reached.

But Huff will likely become a free agent before a deal is reached.

Huff fired his agency, SFX, earlier this season. He either is shopping for a new agent or could represent himself in negotiations — which usually points to a quicker resolution.

Huff wagered he’d be back because “you want to defend your title. You want to bring back as many people as you can. With our starting pitching, there’s no reason we won’t be in position to do it again.”

7 years ago '08        #3
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Cubs Interested In Kerry Wood, Nick Johnson

The Cubs are unlikely to pursue the bigger name free agents such as Adam Dunn, Cliff Lee or Derrek Lee, but could be in the mix for Nick Johnson and Kerry Wood.

''Everyone knows I have a wonderful relationship with Kerry, and that will be a life-lasting one,'' said Jim Hendry. ''But to get into specifics now ... would be foolish.''

7 years ago '07        #4
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 305 305
Erik Bedard... what a bust he turned out to be

My Red Sox wishlist:
Gonazlez
Crawford
bullpen help
Keep Ortiz
Trade Papelbon and Ellsbury, either together or seperately
 7 years ago '08        #5
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Sox exercise $12.5M option on Ortiz

The Boston Red Sox picked up the $12.5 million option on the contract of slugger David Ortiz, MLB.com reported Thursday.

The team had until midnight to make a decision on whether to retain "Big Papi" or allow him to become a free agent. The sides are reportedly discussing a multi-year extension for Ortiz, who will turn 35 this month.

"I'm not comfortable coming back just for one year, because it's going to be the same roller-coaster that I had this year," Ortiz told Boston radio station WEEI last week.

"All the question marks — people still don't realize what you're capable of doing even after eight years. I'm the kind of guy who likes to be left alone, play my game and be the best at my position. To tell you the truth, like everybody knows, I want to be back, and I want to be here for a longer period of time. Hopefully, next week we'll sit down and make everyone happy."

Ortiz has been one of the most popular Red Sox players in his eight years with the team, beloved for his clutch performances that produced World Series titles in 2004 and 2007.

But his future in Beantown has been called into question in the early part of the last two seasons, in which Ortiz struggled mightily. Both times he responded with improved play as the season went on, and in 2010 the 34-year-old Ortiz led Boston with 32 homers and tied for the team lead with 102 RBIs while batting .270. He also was chosen for the AL All-Star team.

7 years ago '06        #6
Jhnnyblz427 174 heat pts174
space
space
$35,127 | Props total: 17954 17954
 keithbm1111 said:

My Red Sox wishlist:
Gonazlez
Crawford
bullpen help
Keep Ortiz
you bugging out about papelbon and this is coming form a NYY fan, he had one bad year thats all, he will come back on top again
 7 years ago '08        #7
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Padres decline option on RHP Young

The San Diego Padres have declined their $8.5 million option on right-hander Chris Young for next season.

General manager Jed Hoyer said the day after the season ended that the Padres are open to bringing Young back at a lower amount.

Young was sidelined most of the season with a strained right shoulder, his third significant injury in as many seasons. He returned to the rotation in the season's final weeks.

Catcher Yorvit Torrealba has declined his $3.5 million mutual option with the Padres.

7 years ago '08        #8
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Rangers talking to Washington about new contract

While there have been no negotiations yet with free-agent ace Cliff Lee, the American League champion Texas Rangers will talk Thursday with manager Ron Washington about a new contract.

Nolan Ryan, the team's president and part-owner, said he expects ''no issues'' in getting new deals done for Washington, whose contract expires this year, and general manager Jon Daniels, who has one year left on his deal.

As for keeping Lee, that won't be as easy, despite mutual interest on both sides.

''It's hard for me to speculate on that because I don't know where this is going to go,'' Ryan said Wednesday, two days after the team's first World Series ended. ''You read reports that the Yankees are after him and they are determined to sign him. What that means, I don't know. ... I think it will have a life of its own. It will be on a national level, so it's just hard to say where that's going to go.''

Ryan said the Rangers haven't gotten into any negotiations with Lee yet.

Texas made one contract decision Wednesday, declining a $9 million mutual option on designated hitter Vladimir Guerrero, who will get a $1 million buyout and could still be back next season.
 7 years ago '05        #9
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,871 | Props total: 8391 8391
biggest question on our team of course is will we resign werth which it looks like we are not. however, we arent going to have 2 left handers in the outfield so it should be interesting to see what we do
 7 years ago '08        #10
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Werth, Crawford Won't Have Yankees Money To Negotiate With

The Yankees are not expected pursue Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, as the team is satisfied with its outfield trio of Curtis Granderson, Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner.

"Unless they parted with one of those guys, I'm not sure where they would fit," the source said of Crawford and Werth.

7 years ago '06        #11
Jhnnyblz427 174 heat pts174
space
space
$35,127 | Props total: 17954 17954
 dj ac said:
its true though we really dont need him at all, give us DH, picthing and we good to go
 7 years ago '06        #12
Manny05 1 heat pts
space
space
$17,401 | Props total: 1 1
 keithbm1111 said:

My Red Sox wishlist:
Gonazlez
Crawford
bullpen help
Keep Ortiz
Same. Here^^
 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM         #13
Sephiroth757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 keithbm1111 said:

My Red Sox wishlist:
Gonazlez
Crawford
bullpen help
Keep Ortiz
How come you don't want Ellsbury anymore? That kid can play. Who would play CF for you guys? Because if you want Crawford to, he's gonna be like :disdain2:
 11-04-2010, 02:42 PM         #14
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sephiroth757 said:
How come you don't want Ellsbury anymore? That kid can play. Who would play CF for you guys? Because if you want Crawford to, he's gonna be like :disdain2:
Ellsbury might never be the same after this season. It's strange to see how fragile he was all season. I understand the fans desire to see him kick rocks.
 7 years ago '08        #15
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Manny Ramirez Likes Farrell, Blue Jays

Manny Ramirez would like to play for the Blue Jays under new manager John Farrell, the slugger told ESPN's Enrique Rojas (story in Spanish). Ramirez and Farrell crossed paths on the Red Sox, of course. Manny added that he had hernia surgery two weeks ago and was never 100% during the season. He feels like he has a lot of baseball left and can stay healthy as a designated hitter.

Ramirez, 38, hit .298/.409/.460 in 320 plate appearances for the Dodgers and White Sox this year. That's a down year by his standards, but it's also the best OBP of any free agent. Manny said he's liked the Blue Jays since they had great Dominican players in the 80s. To make room for Ramirez at DH, the Jays would have to use Adam Lind at first base

7 years ago '07        #16
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 305 305
 LowaEastSide5 said:
you bugging out about papelbon and this is coming form a NYY fan, he had one bad year thats all, he will come back on top again
I dont think so. He sucked last year, 2 years ago, he didnt "suck" but he certainly wasnt that good. He has one pitch, a fastball...the guy is so easy to read. I've had enough of him anyways. Guy talks way too much. He acts like he's the best closer in the league and he isnt close. Bard > Pap...let some other team deal with him.

Sephiroth757 said:
He's a b**ch. He had the same injury as Hermida, keep in mind he got hurt way before hermida, and Hermida came back way before Ellsbury. He is soft. He cant play through any pain. He's a good fielder and base runner, but I think we can get better.

Apparently Crawford doesnt want to play CF...so I would package Ellsbury with Pap and get a CF and bullpen help. I dont want to name any names because I just cant think of a good trade right now. I'd also deal them both to get Hanley back too....but that seems unlikely.

I've just had enough of seeing those 2 in Boston, their times up IMO
 11-04-2010, 02:59 PM         #17
Sephiroth757 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I agree, Bard looks really good. I don't know what happened to Paplebon, he looked like he was on track to be a good closer -- not anymore.
 7 years ago '05        #18
MATIX 
space
space
$7,986 | Props total: 66 66
rays wishlist so far
trade garza or shields, bartlett,
trade for yonder alonso
resign beniot
matt thornton
a dh like magglio or thames
maybe even mat gamel or kyle blanks
chan ho park

trade bj upton for colby ramus! would be a my biggest wish

Last edited by MATIX; 11-04-2010 at 03:08 PM..
 7 years ago '08        #19
AC_89 200 heat pts200 OP
space
space
Big bat at top of Angels' offseason wish list

With an offense that underachieved significantly, the Angels enter the offseason looking to add a productive bat or two. This is their highest priority -- with the bullpen, also an area of possible need, looming on the backburner.

The X-factor is the return of Kendry Morales, whose absence after his freak May 29 fractured left leg left a major hole in the heart of the lineup. Morales is expected to return, full force, to first base. This, as manager Mike Scioscia put it, "is the biggest free-agent signing you could have."

But that doesn't mean the Angels won't aggressively pursue a run producer or top-of-the-order presence in free agency or in the trade market. General manager Tony Reagins has made it clear the club will explore every opportunity to improve, and history suggests he isn't shy about making the big move.

Since Reagins a.ssumed his position, the Angels have acquired Torii Hunter as a free agent, and Mark Teixeira and Dan Haren in midseason swaps. Deals don't come much bigger than those.

The potential free agents most likely to attract the Angels' attention are Carl Crawford, Adrian Beltre, Jayson Werth and Adam Dunn. The bullpen also could use some fortifying with a left-handed presence to replace the departed Brian Fuentes. As it stands now, there is not a lefty in the bullpen, and the market holds some intriguing possibilities.

The payroll has been in the neighborhood of $120 million the past few seasons, and while owner Arte Moreno would like to keep it in that range, he has given indications that he's open to exceeding that figure if the right deal presents itself.

The club is not expected to bring back Scot Shields or Hideki Matsui, their two veterans ticketed for free agency. Shields has said that he'll likely retire if nothing worthwhile surfaces, while Matsui is determined to continue to swing the bat for somebody.

His strong finish showed that the big man from Japan is still capable of being an effective run producer. But the Angels have a preference for keeping the designated-hitter spot open to a variety of options, not one primary source. Matsui's return is unlikely but not out of the question, depending on the possibility of moving an outfielder such as Juan Rivera in a deal.

The one position that holds a question mark is third base. Alberto Callaspo was acquired after Brandon Wood struggled to create offense, and he had mixed results in the second half. Scioscia likes Callaspo's defense and his ability to make contact, but the preference at that position is always for a run producer.

That could move Beltre to the top of the priority list, although Crawford would seem to hold that distinction, given his career-long production and versatility. Crawford would generate the speed that was lost with Chone Figgins' departure, while bringing a clutch bat and brilliant defense.

After Fuentes was dealt to the Twins, Fernando Rodney struggled with his command in the closer's role. Young power arms Kevin Jepsen and Jordan Walden could a.ssume the role, but the question is whether they are ready now. An import is possible, given the club has some tradeable commodities

11-04-2010, 03:09 PM         #20
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It wasn't just Papelbon, Beckett, Dice, and Lackey underperformed, I expect the pitching to be solid this season so we need to upgrade hitting and middle relief.

I would like to see Crawford and Gonzalez myself, a good OF and 1B while switching Youk to 3rd, our team will be one of the best in baseball.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
76 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Nicki Minaj “She For Keeps”
19 comments
2 days ago