Oct 22 - Yep, Apple killed the CD Today

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
61 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
15 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
30 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Shane Larkin trolls a BX member
11 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #41
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
 Esdot said:
The macbook air doesn't have an optical drive thats why it uses it. The interesting thing is that the new Air doesn't have a HDD just a large internal flash drive.
Bingo. Apple did it for the benefit of their products, to make them look less ridiculous.

"We didn't add a keyboard to our knew .002mm thick macbooks because we believe keyboards are holding the world back from a better future."

Akilleez said:
can n*ggas read??? its a "software reinstall drive". it'll replace the cd that usually comes with all PC's that has a backup operating system.
Thank you. This is the whole point behind this. No one is saying Apple invented the USB flash drive And no, this isn't new, but with Apple going full force behind, you will probably never see another CD on the market in like a year or two.

Between, Netflix focusing on streaming all of their movies and iTunes/AmazonMP3, CDs will be obsolete soon. They're going to be the next floppy disc.

At the same time though, companies are working on 20TB discs. I think it's a waste though.
 7 years ago '09        #42
Akilleez 
space
space
$1,319 | Props total: 23 23
 MumblesDaHumble said:
What about blu rays and games? A lot of people like a physical copy. Even then isn't the quality better on a bluray disc than if downloaded(not to sure).
whats the difference between a physical copy and digital media from a FD when the computer boots and reads the file virtually the same way tho?? and no, the quality isn't better, u can download HD and bluray files with the same clearity. and on the game tip, downloadable content, and fully downloadable games are making disk sales decline.
 7 years ago '04        #43
RYLNYC|m 5 heat pts
space
space
$11,841 | Props total: 1133 1133
 MumblesDaHumble said:
What about blu rays and games? A lot of people like a physical copy. Even then isn't the quality better on a bluray disc than if downloaded(not to sure).
That crossed my mind as I was typing my post, but like Akileez said above me, the quality doesn't suffer (from my experience) -- a movie is gonna be like 25GB via Bluray, but it won't be any worse.

I also wouldn't be surprised to hear Netflix is working on streaming Bluray movies.

The fact is technology is inevitably evolving. Everything is becoming more minimalistic, more thinner, and less tactile. Everyone wants hovering covers and that "Minority Report" stuff with screens and sh!t shooting out of your eye and you controlling the content with your mind. It's all movie hype today, but I believe that's the direction this world is heading into.

The same way you'll never see a floppy disc in Best Buy again, you won't see a non-flat panel TV in a few more months (if not already), and in a few years, "dumbphones" are gonna be extinct.
 10-23-2010, 01:45 AM         #44
bossdawg  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If apple is so smart,then why they aint brought back oregon trail......
 7 years ago '06        #45
jayvivz 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,826 | Props total: 3 3
put this in the 5 disc changer in your Honda and see if Apple k!lled the CD.

7 years ago '09        #46
Akilleez 
space
space
 MumblesDaHumble said:
I don't think so though. I heard people are still buying more physical copies and it isn't slowing down. I would rather have a disc then some bulls**t that I don't even own like some XBL arcade game.
almost any game u can buy at gamestop, u can purchase for digital download in the playstation store. not sure about the 360 tho, haven't played one in a min.
 7 years ago '09        #47
Akilleez 
space
space
 jayvivz said:
put this in the 5 disc changer in your Honda and see if Apple k!lled the CD.

or u could just plug an mp3 player into the deck and pretend like its 2010 and not 1998.
 7 years ago '04        #48
hardcopyhc 
space
space
$1,291 | Props total: 155 155
 Hardkore said:
the day i can stick something like a 1 terabyte USB flash drive into the CD player in my car is the day the world is in its last days.
U can play an ipod through your car speakers so I don't see why this wouldn't be possible
 7 years ago '05        #49
white-chocolate 124 heat pts124
space
space
$15,500 | Props total: 1358 1358
"I"m a Mac" .... "f**k PC!!"
 7 years ago '04        #50
rasheedwallace 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,344 | Props total: 11263 11263
its for the macbook airs because they do not come with a CD drive to re-install on. its a courtesy, not a replacement.
 7 years ago '05        #51
Quddus 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$14,950 | Props total: 6187 6187
I have been seeing this done with flash drives for while. We do this at at my job with flash drives. I applaud apple for bringing it mainstream
 7 years ago '04        #52
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,224 | Props total: 2222 2222
 Hardkore said:
the day i can stick something like a 1 terabyte USB flash drive into the CD player in my car is the day the world is in its last days.
I only use thumbdrives in my deck...cds tend to skip with my system...not sure if there is a limit to what size it can read, but it handles 8 gigs no problem...

you could also get a carputer or even hook up a iPad in there...

so i guess the world is in its last days??
 7 years ago '06        #53
kpdawg2006 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,823 | Props total: 189 189
 http:// said:
Bingo. Apple did it for the benefit of their products, to make them look less ridiculous.

"We didn't add a keyboard to our knew .002mm thick macbooks because we believe keyboards are holding the world back from a better future."

Thank you. This is the whole point behind this. No one is saying Apple invented the USB flash drive And no, this isn't new, but with Apple going full force behind, you will probably never see another CD on the market in like a year or two.

Between, Netflix focusing on streaming all of their movies and iTunes/AmazonMP3, CDs will be obsolete soon. They're going to be the next floppy disc.

At the same time though, companies are working on 20TB discs. I think it's a waste though.
Good Points all around, Apples k!lled the cd since ipod era, so naturally it would be essential to have a usb backup or even sometype of remote back up. Oh, and it just happens to be one of the most technically advanced in dim's n specs for it category. So Cds yes r obsolete but id say the 20tb disc are juss for mass storage, think green is spreading within the technology community
 10-23-2010, 09:22 AM         #54
codeine  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
apple >>>>
 7 years ago '09        #55
K0ntrast 63 heat pts63
space
space
$29,703 | Props total: 13274 13274
so instead of cd cases, were probably gonna need a new way to keep certain drives :hmm: might have to patent something soon. TO THE DRAWING BOARD.
 10-23-2010, 11:20 AM         #56
Steveo54  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Esdot said:
The macbook air doesn't have an optical drive thats why it uses it. The interesting thing is that the new Air doesn't have a HDD just a large internal flash drive.
thats becoming more and more common, using solid state drives instead of the hdd. im cool with it its much better
 7 years ago '05        #57
Crizzo82 
space
space
$1,080 | Props total: 478 478
bring it on, usb>cd
 7 years ago '04        #58
deziking 81 heat pts81
space
space
$19,580 | Props total: 5278 5278
don't forget guys you need apple computer to use this useless crap. So for the windows users out there 85% of the people this is just useless.
 7 years ago '04        #59
ABSOLUTE STYLE 
space
space
$1,877 | Props total: 1 1
 jeehtoven said:
Think about it...it will force customers to download everything, including any updates apple has. Plus, using USB uses less power in the computer. It will cost apple less to provide software post-purchase.

It also benefits the customer, because USB drives last longer, and aren't open to getting scratches so they can't be read.

You guys are right though: it isn't anything new. Most PC guys I know do everything with USB. Most USBs go over 1GB anyway, so you're getting a deal.

The only drawback is you can't burn DVDs anymore...
I don't see usb drives becoming anything bigger then they already are... I like them as they are very useful and one doesn't have to carry a whole TB hard drive around to swap small things between computers. plus i save a lot my work from Adobe , AutoCAD, etc on there. Though I have a couple 8GB ones
 7 years ago '09        #60
Akilleez 
space
space
 deziking said:
don't forget guys you need apple computer to use this useless crap. So for the windows users out there 85% of the people this is just useless.
apple standardized it for mac, so PC's will follow suit soon enough. no cd/dvd drive means more room for better specs. this little change has big implications for the future of computer models.
Home         

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
114 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
320 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
118 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
121 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
82 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
23 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
170 comments
21 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
80 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy