Kobe Bryant Say's "Michael Jordan's Comments Dont Bother Him"...

most viewed right now
Jeezy – American Dream (ft. Kendrick Lamar & J. Cole)
90 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
170 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Here is what Disney now owns.
25 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #1
7014 pageviews
76 comments

Avon_Barksdale 4344 heat pts4344
space
space
$42,482 | Props total: 56003 56003
Kobe Bryant Say's "Michael Jordan's Comments Dont Bother Him"...

LOS ANGELES – Kobe Bryant is pursuing his sixth NBA championship, a benchmark that would match Michael Jordan’s career total and immediately launch a debate about how the Los Angeles Lakers star measures up to the league’s greatest player ever.

Jordan, however, doesn’t sound quite ready to allow Bryant to stand toe to toe with him.

“He is always going to be within the conversations of some of the greatest players who’ve played, by the time he is finished,” Jordan recently told USA Today about Bryant. “Where does he rank among those, if you are talking about positions? If you are talking about guards, I would say he has got to be in the top 10.”

Not top five. And certainly not top two.

Top 10.

Bryant didn’t take Jordan’s comments as an insult.

“It’s an accurate statement,” Bryant said. “I’m definitely one of the top 10 guards. It could mean two, it could mean one, it could mean four or five. I’m definitely one of the top thousand. Look, I know how he feels about me.

“There have been a lot of great guards to play the game. For me to sit here and say, ‘He should have said top five,’ that’s disrespectful to the other guards that I’ve watched.”

When asked whether Jordan’s words were motivating, Bryant said: “That stuff doesn’t get to me. You can’t motivate me or take me to a place that I’m not already at.”

So where does Bryant think he ranks amongst the NBA’s best?

“I can’t put myself in that position – I really can’t,” Bryant said.

Bryant, however, is comfortable revealing how he hopes to be remembered after his career is over. He entered the NBA in 1996 as a No. 13 pick. At that time, only former Lakers general manager Jerry West had visions of Bryant becoming a superstar.

“I’ve always been comfortable as a kid growing up to think that when my career is over, I want them to think of me as an overachiever despite the talent that I have,” Bryant said. “To think of me as a person that’s overachieved, that would mean a lot to me. That means I put a lot of work in and squeezed every ounce of juice out of this orange that I could.

“Hopefully, they perceive me as person who did whatever he had to do to win above all else. Above anything. Above stats. … If they say that about me I’ll be happy.”

Bryant claims he isn’t motivated by trying to match Jordan, but he does respect the elite company he would join by winning his sixth championship. Only 13 NBA players have more than five NBA titles. No Laker has ever won more than five titles with the franchise.

“I don’t look at it as motivation,” said Bryant, who hasn’t talked to Jordan since the Lakers played at Charlotte last season. “I’ve never given it thought that I wanted to get six to catch Michael. His six and my six are different. That’s not to say that his were more challenging than mine because I had to play a different role and do something out of character my first three. They’re just different.

“It steps into a territory that only a select few have ever been to. I understand. That’s what special to me, that I’m this fortunate to have this opportunity. So, let’s try to make the most of it.”

Most of the offseason attention has been on the Miami Heat adding LeBron James(notes) and Chris Bosh(notes) to play with Dwyane Wade(notes). But the Lakers also could be better after signing Steve Blake(notes), Matt Barnes(notes) and Theo Ratliff(notes).

“The excitement is warranted,” Bryant said. “Obviously, the trophy remains with us. [Other teams] have made steps in the right direction to try to take it from us. That’s what makes it exciting. The hype is warranted. But for us, it’s business as usual.”

The Lakers’ biggest concerns center on the health of Bryant and center Andrew Bynum who both had knee surgery. Bynum isn’t expected to be back until the end of November, at the earliest. Bryant struggled in his first four preseason games, averaging 10 points on just 22 percent shooting, before scoring 19 points in the third quarter of Sunday’s game against the Utah Jazz.

“I’m pleased with my development,” Bryant said. “I feel like I’m getting better every day.”

For now, Bryant isn’t worried about the Heat. Or Jordan. He’s just hungry to chase another championship.

“For me, the special comes in the challenge of it,” he said. “That’s why last year was so special for me because we were like down and out. I remember doing a press conference when we were down 3-2 [in the NBA Finals] and everyone was saying nail-in-the-coffin stuff. That’s what makes it special for me.”
Source:

[pic - click to view]

For Bryant, it’s all about the chase - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by Avon_Barksdale; 10-19-2010 at 12:18 AM..

76 comments for "Kobe Bryant Say's "Michael Jordan's Comments Dont Bother Him"..."

10-19-2010, 12:07 AM         #2
Kuchiki_Byakuya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hope Lakeshow 4-peats this time around; can't stand that no-talent a.ss f**got Robert Horry having 7 rings.
 7 years ago '04        #3
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
“I’ve always been comfortable as a kid growing up to think that when my career is over, I want them to think of me as an overachiever despite the talent that I have,” Bryant said. “To think of me as a person that’s overachieved, that would mean a lot to me. That means I put a lot of work in and squeezed every ounce of juice out of this orange that I could.

“Hopefully, they perceive me as person who did whatever he had to do to win above all else. Above anything. Above stats. … If they say that about me I’ll be happy.”
:agreement6:

Only a few players in the sport have this type of mindset.
 10-19-2010, 12:15 AM         #4
Lex Lossis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
HOW do n*ggas STILL hate Kobe?

I pray one day I get to shake his hand.
 7 years ago '07        #5
Bkjj11 3548 heat pts3548
space
space
$92,479 | Props total: 69976 69976
watch lebron james be a bust and darko be the best big man in the game
 7 years ago '04        #6
DERRTY CHYBO 12 heat pts12
space
space
$11,716 | Props total: 787 787
 Lex Lossis said:

I pray one day I get to shake his hand.

No idea . I used to be a big time Kobe hater, but he seems like a good dude .
 7 years ago '04        #7
SHOWTIME 
space
space
$4,273 | Props total: 10 10
kobe handled that very well, he knows there are a lot of great players and great guards who have come before him.... including laker greats like magic and kareem... it is ultimately up to the masses to decide who the greatest is, and i think MJ will win that debate (for now)
 7 years ago '07        #8
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,785 | Props total: 14593 14593

[video - click to view]

10-19-2010, 01:03 AM         #9
Cya Nerd 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Who cares what Michael Jordan has to say anymore he doesn't play and he needs to worry about his son following his path with gambling gonna turn that n*ggas shoe line over to someone
 7 years ago '04        #10
pandemon 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,400 | Props total: 376 376
bryant won

jordan lost
 10-19-2010, 08:32 AM         #11
A.O.™ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
“I don’t look at it as motivation,” said Bryant, who hasn’t talked to Jordan since the Lakers played at Charlotte last season. “I’ve never given it thought that I wanted to get six to catch Michael. His six and my six are different. That’s not to say that his were more challenging than mine because I had to play a different role and do something out of character my first three. They’re just different.
Good he acknowledges being Shaq's sidekick...

Lex Lossis said:
“It’s an accurate statement,” Bryant said. “I’m definitely one of the top 10 guards. It could mean two, it could mean one, it could mean four or five. I’m definitely one of the top thousand. Look, I know how he feels about me.
This is why... Why would he think he would ever be no.1... He knows he aint s**t compared to Mike, but he throws them lil jabs out there, that p!ss people off.
 7 years ago '09        #12
Knowledgeable 29 heat pts29
space
space
$11,191 | Props total: 3488 3488
 A.O.™ said:
Good he acknowledges being Shaq's sidekick...

This is why... Why would he think he would ever be no.1... He knows he aint s**t compared to Mike, but he throws them lil jabs out there, that p!ss people off.

Damn A.O are you that f**king sensitive? You sitting there acting like he said he "WAS" top 2 when he only said "COULD" which would be the opinion of the casual fan to say once his career is over.. At the end of the day it's anyone's opinon who they think is the best. What you or anyone else says isn't law. That's the kinda s**t that pisses me off when n*ggas say stupid s**t like "he's throwin jabs" when he's cleary not. s**ts all about eras. I still hear oldschool cats saying Dr. J was the best ever. Dudes in the kobe era may feel like he's the best and I even hear young n*ggas nowadays saying lebron is better than both jordan and kobe even without championships. I think MJ is the GOAT and will reamin that GOAT, but the hating you n*ggas do on here againt kobe is pathetic. Your opinion is your opinion, but you can't get mad when others don't think the same way as you. Get over it already. It's Life.

Last edited by Knowledgeable; 10-19-2010 at 08:45 AM..
 7 years ago '09        #13
Knowledgeable 29 heat pts29
space
space
$11,191 | Props total: 3488 3488
 SHOWTIME said:
kobe handled that very well, he knows there are a lot of great players and great guards who have come before him.... including laker greats like magic and kareem... it is ultimately up to the masses to decide who the greatest is, and i think MJ will win that debate (for now)

Exactly. At n*ggas for always getting butthurt about something that's always gonna be up for debate. Everybody is not always gonna feel the same way. We shouldn't even have to explain little s**t like this, but it's obvious muthaf**kas don't get the picture.
 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM         #14
A.O.™ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Knowledgeable said:
Damn A.O are you that f**king sensitive? You sitting there acting like he said he "WAS" top 2 when he only said "COULD" which would be the opinion of the casual fan to say once his career is over.. At the end of the day it's anyone's opinon who they think is the best. What you or anyone else says isn't law. That's the kinda s**t that pisses me off when n*ggas say stupid s**t like "he's throwin jabs" when he's cleary not. s**ts all about eras. I still hear oldschool cats saying Dr. J was the best ever. Dudes in the kobe era may feel like he's the best and I even hear young n*ggas nowadays saying lebron is better than both jordan and kobe even without championships. I think MJ is the GOAT and will reamin that GOAT, but the hating you n*ggas do on here againt kobe is pathetic. Your opinion is your opinion, but you can't get mad when others don't think the same way as you. Get over it already. It's Life.
Nah bro, i'm done hating on Kobe.. He is that dude, but he still cant f**k wit Lebron...
 7 years ago '05        #15
klew 227 heat pts227
space
space
$9,281 | Props total: 782 782
 Perfectibilist said:
They don't hate Kobe, they hate his fans.
That's retarded. Because his fans think he's one of the all time greats and haters don't....they hate his fans when really it's still hating on Kobe.
 10-19-2010, 09:39 AM         #16
A.O.™ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 klew said:
That's retarded. Because his fans think he's one of the all time greats and haters don't....they hate his fans when really it's still hating on Kobe.
Actually its why I dont like Kobe... Its one thing to be a fan of a player, but Kobe fans go overboard with everything... You are here and you see the s**t people post here.

"Kobe hits a GAME WINNER" - Kobe > Jordan

"Kobe scores 30 points in 1 quarter" - Kobe > Jordan

Its like come on man, He aint playing against Jordan...

If anything...

Kobe hits a game winner ... Kobe > Lebron/Wade/Melo

wtf does Jordan have to do with anything?
 7 years ago '06        #17
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
Kobe stans completely ignore the despicable s**t he's done in his career and just say "how can anyone hate him I want to just shake his hand"

talk about delusional. I could go on a tangent about all the reasons why I hate Kobe, all of them valid reasons, but the Kobe stans will never see it so it's a waste of time.
 7 years ago '10        #18
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
That foo needs to stick to his Hanes commercials...
 7 years ago '08        #19
EvesOfAkira 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,086 | Props total: 0 0
Kobe will never mean what Jordan meant to the old heads, who watched Jordan from start to finish

But to this generation people between 13-25ish

Kobe is our Jordan, equivalent. He's probably the closest thing to it.

I won't speak for everyone, but I will say, yea. I can watch highlights until my eyes are blue,
but that doesn't mean I will get that same satisfaction of seeing it live.

And for the most part, it's highlights, that particular person's best clips.

Jordan ran the 90's and Kobe runs 2000-2010. Simple as that.

I was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of Jordans legacy.
Have my parents bring me to games and we go to the parades after they won.
But I can't appreciate all of his earlier works, because what does it mean to me?
Nothing. I didn't have money on the game, I wasn't rooting for them.

Kobe's worked through his adversities.
He's got unbelievable work ethic.
The guys Basketball IQ is through the roof.
He's athletic.
Probably one of the best mid range jump shooters in a while.
 7 years ago '09        #20
Spiffy 34 heat pts34
space
space
$20,051 | Props total: 26 26
s**ts getting old already, media needs to stop with this mj kobe comparison. I cant wait till farver retires and takes all the spotlight again
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
71 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
84 comments
24 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
197 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
18 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
54 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
23 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
274 comments
18 hours ago