Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
78 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
132 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
76 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-19-2010, 12:09 AM         #101
Lex Lossis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
RIP damn
 10-19-2010, 02:14 AM         #102
CenterField 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ST. PAUL, Minn. — A Minnesota rapper who performed under the name Eyedea has died of unknown reasons at age 28.

Kathy Averill told The a.ssociated Press that her son, Michael Larsen, died in his sleep at home in St. Paul on Saturday. She says she's awaiting autopsy results.

Larsen and childhood friend Max Keltgen recorded three albums as Eyedea and Abilities on Minneapolis hip hop group Atmosphere's label, Rhymesayers Entertainment. Eyedea and Abilities performed with the group in the late 1990s.

Averill says her son reached people through his music and poetry.

[video - click to view]

R.I.P.
 10-19-2010, 02:20 AM         #103
Doc D 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I cannot f**king believe that Martin Luther King was a.ssassinated
 7 years ago '08        #104
AyeDre 13 heat pts13
space
space
$10,533 | Props total: 283 283
already a thread on it...r.i.p again
 10-19-2010, 03:01 AM         #105
MasakoX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
rip
cant believe this s**t..how didnt i see this yesterday
The Many Faces of Oliver Hart was a great album

E&A first 2 albums were also amazing pieces of work, there latest...mehhh
 10-21-2010, 07:10 PM         #106
ace8705 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
R.I.P ma dude
 7 years ago '05        #107
Panopticon 42 heat pts42
space
space
$23,924 | Props total: 11287 11287
Almost 2 & 1/2 weeks and still no autopsy results?
 7 years ago '09        #108
Teddy Loc 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,062 | Props total: 164 164
R.I.P. Eyedea
 7 years ago '05        #109
Panopticon 42 heat pts42
space
space
$23,924 | Props total: 11287 11287
Psalm One Loves You More

Funny how time has a way of sneaking up on you.

Time is one of the most cunning comedians of all. Today, my friend Mikey would have been 29 years old. When I was a kid, 29 seemed light years away, and quite old. Mikey was the oldest child I’d ever met. He impacted my child-like curiosities and my childish, quasi-insane tendencies almost immediately.

I spent a little time with him, and wasted a little time with him. Today, I know I didn’t spend nearly as much time with him as I would have liked.

As you read these words, know that right now I am traveling to Minneapolis, MN for the second time in two weeks…

This is something that wouldn’t seem so odd, given the city’s proximity to my hometown of Chicago. This also isn’t odd considering my label’s headquarters is there. So, why didn’t I just stay up there for a week or two? Especially considering: I lived in Minneapolis a short while?

No, my trips are ill-timed and devastating, to say the least. I didn’t have it in my schedule to be going up to Minneapolis last week–I took a detour to the twin cities for Mikey’s wake. I found out about his passing while I was in New York performing at CMJ, and I spent a week there stewing in the news. Time certainly snuck up on me, and I certainly didn’t plan on being in Minneapolis today.

Hip Hop has lost a bright shining star, and Mikey has passed on, much too soon.

To most of you he was known as “Eyedea”.

It hurts to try and wrap my head around this, and I am deeply affected by his passing. Unfortunately, some of my sadness has turned to anger, and I’m ashamed to say I’ve lashed out at a few people who are close to me. For that I am sorry.

Writing has always soothed my soul, for as long as I can remember. A few months ago, my mother made me cry over the phone. I hung up on her and with tears streaming down my face I immediately started to write. The song turned out pretty damned good, and while I did not specifically write about my mother, she was the primary source of inspiration for it. I wonder if that makes the song subliminal. When my mother hears it, will she know?

Who knows? Who knows why some of us find it easier to run away, or lash out when we’re hurt? Why do we write/smoke/f**k/f!ght/medicate through our pain? The point is just to get through it, right? But at the expense of whom?

I asked myself these questions and more, trying and failing to make sense of it all.

My issues have a lot to do with my unanswered questions, as well as the unfortunate occurrence of finding out a friend died via social networking. I once found out on Myspace that a childhood buddy had died. That s**t really hurts. I was actually having breakfast with my biological family in New York when I found out about Mikey. They didn’t really know how to handle my reaction, so like so many other times in my life, I turned to writing.

It was a bit comforting to know Mikey touched so many people in his short life. He touched them not only through his music and performances, but simply by being himself. I also find comfort knowing that wherever he is, he’s singing songs and he’s just fine; kinda like he was here on Earth. There was this crazy balance of worrying and not worrying about him. I wonder if you hear me.

It only took a little while for the webisphere to learn of his death. A lot of people had the same outlet I did. I fielded some calls and texts from my friends and labelmates, but I am not so good on the phone when these things happen. By my third day of knowing he was gone, which was a Tuesday, I had too many thoughts to even think about.

If you know some things about me, and my Internet presence, then you know I have an almost purging of tweets, via #RealTalkTuesday. That Tuesday was no exception, and I made sure to speak about my friend. In trying to be tactful, and respectful, and not lash out, I made a few specific comments that, for the record, I do not regret. I also repeated, or re-tweeted, comments made about Eyedea.

People mourn differently, and one of the boldest examples of this was a song by a rapper from Ohio whom, upon learning about Mikey’s death took it upon himself to write, record and mix a psuedo-personal song about it. He a.sserted in the song that he’d never met Mikey, but found it appropriate to speculate on the cause of his death. This happened in the midst of the family and label asking for privacy, and in the midst of an unknown cause of death.

Not only that, this rapper was fast; the song was on blogs just hours after the announcement of death. While our wounds were still new, this rapper tried to capitalize on the freshness of a tragedy. Oh yeah, I think he has an album coming out soon too, if it hasn’t dropped already. Great timing.

I didn’t listen to the whole song. I couldn’t. I had heard enough to hear enough, if you know what I mean. The song, which is erroneously referred to as a “tribute”, along with its accompanying youtube clip, was released literally within 48 hours of Mikey’s passing.

I never mentioned the rapper’s name in my comments or tweets, and I won’t mention his name here.

And while he may have had good intentions, it is my opinion that he took his own bad advice. Many others within the hip hop community have made similar comments about the song, but without mentioning the culprit’s name. The act is despicable, and the name is unimportant.

So are these subliminal messages….subliminal tweets? I think not. If you know what I’m talking about, then you know who I’m talking about. In my case, it is not subliminal to simply omit dude’s name–a name that doesn’t need any more publicity for his little publicity stunt. Hell, he might even be getting interviewed by this magazine soon. Good for him.

Frankly, I have battled rappers for less indiscretions, and a few people have encouraged me to do so, but I choose not to go into battle rap mode now. Two wrongs don’t make a right. It is not my place to do so, and, quiet as it’s kept, I do not consider myself a battle rapper. Yes, I’ve battled at Scribble Jam, but I’ve never gotten punched in the face there.

With that said, it’s not worth it for me to go in, guns blazing, in the name of loyalty for a great musician, rapper, battle rapper, singer, labelmate and friend, against an outsider who never even met him. This complete outsider chose to make a tacky, ill-timed song wherein he refers to my friend as an “addict”, all in the name of a tribute?

Yag.

Mikey was better at battle rapping than both me and that other rapper combined. Anyway, it wouldn’t have done any justice.

I am a fan of class, and tact, and good-hearted people. It is my opinion that what the guy did was *classless* at best. These aren’t subliminal shots; this isn’t a subliminal blog.

This is how I feel about a real situation; a situation that is bigger than any song. This is what I am going through. As time marches on, and it becomes clearer that my friend and one-time vocal coach is gone, I am still very sad about it. I think about him everyday, and I’d only known him for 7 years.

Today, loving people are gathering in Minneapolis to celebrate a great artist, and some of us are mourning a truly awesome friend that would have been the ripe young age of 29. We will take the time out of our schedules to honor his legacy, on his birthday. I will hug my loved ones that are still right here on Earth with me.

Time has a funny way of sneaking up on us. As someone pretty close to Mikey, versus a guy who never even met Eyedea, the whole thing stinks at a time when we should be celebrating a beautiful life and career, and not sullying it with hearsay.

But then again….we all mourn differently, right? Only time will tell.

Rest In Peace, Michael “Eyedea” Larson. We love and miss you dearly. Thank you for your advice, and your hugs.
LordBlanco|M gave props

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
87 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
40 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside XXXTentacion gets 7 more charges added to his case and asks fans to sho..
92 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Fans Find Doo Doo Condoms and Lube While Digging into Zac Efrons Trash!
227 comments
21 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
68 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
51 comments
19 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Black In Crew: Chicago Baddie & Potential “No PullOut” Candidate
54 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
31 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy