Underground graffiti artist "Banksy" designed last night's "The Simpsons" opening...

most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
223 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 12 - The Alabama Special Election Live
267 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
86 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
33 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-11-2010, 03:51 PM         #21
YOUNGZERO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Damn FOX took that sh*t down quick... hahaha
 7 years ago '04        #22
slapaho 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,301 | Props total: 2497 2497
the simpson have really stepped it up recently.. part of me wants to a.ssume the great show i grew up watchin was busy workin on tha simpson movie and didnt really focus on the show over the last 8-10 years,but the a**hole show i love is back s**ttin on everyone.
 7 years ago '05        #23
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,999 | Props total: 1318 1318
that was best opening ever
 7 years ago '05        #24
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
$13,831 | Props total: 4097 4097
Who says The Simpsons isn’t as subversive as it used to be? Last night, the animated Fox series raised eyebrows—and corners of mouths—with a daring, bleak opening credits sequence that was masterminded by Banksy, the mysterious British graffiti artist. Viewers were taken on a surreal journey into an Asian sweatshop where kittens were used as stuffing for Simpsons dolls, and a shackled, defeated unicorn was used to make holes in Simpsons DVDs. Shudder. EW.com rang up Simpsons executive producer Al Jean to get the behind-the-scenes story on the Banksy gag.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: How did this collaboration with Banksy come about?
AL JEAN: I saw that movie Exit Through the Gift Shop, and I asked our casting director Bonnie Pietila, who’s had good luck getting people like Thomas Pynchon, if she could track Banksy down. She worked through the producers of the movie, and we just said, “Would you like to do a couch gag for the show?” He submitted boards, which were more or less what you saw last night. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t think about it a little bit, but I showed it to [series creator] Matt Groening and he said, “We should really try to do these as close as possible to what he wants.” We all thought it was really funny. There were some small things we went through with Broadcast Standards for taste, but I was impressed—for an American TV show we did this really satiric thing, and it was 95 percent of what he wanted.

EW:What were the small things that got edited out?
AJ:I wouldn’t go into them, but it was just a little sadder. [laughs] I don’t know if the unicorn made it in the original draft.

EW:And you guys gave him no instruction about what to create?
AJ:Nope. He’s an artist. I just said, “It has to be in this format, and it comes off the beginning of the show.” And we did want to make sure that people knew—we have several clues, we tagged his name twice at the beginning and gave him a credit at the end just so it was clear what was going on.

EW: What were your first thoughts when you saw what he wanted to do?
AJ: Well, my first thought was, “Well, it’s really funny.” And my second thought was, “I hope I keep my job if I do it.” [laughs] So far I still have. But I turned to a higher power, which in this case was Matt, and showed it to him. And we all think Banksy is a brilliant artist. I thought this was a funny idea, and the show to Fox’s credit has been able to do very subversive things right from the beginning, and I think that’s made The Simpsons what it is.

EW: You said Fox execs had some small issues, but what was their overall reaction?
AJ: I showed it to Broadcast Standards in the animatic stage. Certainly this is animated by Fox—paid for by Fox— so this is not something I can just slide in without anybody seeing, nor would I want to. So they’ve been aware of it for several months and we wanted to keep it a secret just because I thought you’d get maximum impact this morning, which I think we did.

EW: Were you surprised that they were cool with it?
AJ: I think Fox is great. There never would have been a Simpsons if there wasn’t a Fox. And there never would have been the style of humor and what other shows have done on Fox if it wasn’t for people who were looking for something that was edgy and funny.

EW: Were you worried that this gag did not paint the show in the best light?
AJ: I can tell you as a fact there are no unicorns working in our DVD production plant. It’s a fantasy—none of it is true. That being said, it’s funny.

EW: Were you looking to make some sort of political statement or respond to criticism of outsourcing [the show is animated in South Korea]?
AJ: Honestly, there was no agenda except I thought it would be great to get this guy. The concept in my mind was, “What if this graffiti artist came in and tagged our main titles?” And we got what I think is the coolest, most technically proficient graffiti artist today. I’d never seen that—a graffiti artist actually graffiti’ing the opening credits of a television show. So when you’re asking for that you’re not really telling him what to do. We’re a show where people are used to seeing edgy things in regards to Itchy & Scratchy or satirizations of society, so I thought it was in line with our past and part of what’s made the Simpsons great.

EW: A BBC News story says that Banksy’s storyboard caused delays, disputes with Broadcast Standards and a threatened walk-out by the animation department?
AJ: All the things that we do are delayed, and we have to deal with Broadcast Standards because it takes us a long time. I would say compared to what the original boards were, I think about 95 percent of it [stayed] true, and it really wasn’t unusual relative to the other stuff that we do, in terms of the length of time or the problems with it…. [The animation department] didn’t walk out. Obviously they didn’t. We’ve depicted the conditions in a fanciful light before.

EW: What kind of feedback are you getting this morning?
AJ: The first word I would use is enormous. Other than showing Katy Perry’s cleavage, I can’t think of anything that’s gotten this much attention. And I would say by my barometer, about 90 percent think it’s really funny and 10 percent don’t like the taste of it, which I would say has been the ratio of the great things we’ve done in the past.

EW: Did you learn more about the identity of Banksy?
AJ: I never met him. Even my emails back and forth to him, I would email Bonnie, who would email his producer, who would email him. I’m pretty sure it’s really him because if it wasn’t him, the real Banksy would have said something.

EW: Are there other things up your sleeve right now?
AJ: There are always are, and the only way to find them out is to watch every episode

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 10-11-2010 at 04:11 PM..
 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM         #25
macadon83 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Simpsons got boring for a few years, but the past few seasons show that they realize they can push the envelope a little more. I missed this and cleveland show cuz of 2k11
 7 years ago '06        #26
youngral 
space
space
$6,649 | Props total: 629 629
 macadon83 said:
Simpsons got boring for a few years, but the past few seasons show that they realize they can push the envelope a little more. I missed this and cleveland show cuz of 2k11

2k can make u just miss life fa real. I played a couple games with my player and hours went by without me noticing
 10-11-2010, 04:22 PM         #27
billieskeet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I liked it
 7 years ago '04        #28
SpittN4Cash 12 heat pts12
space
space
$9,388 | Props total: 592 592
that was dope I fux with the chinese! ... shout out to lil_miss_riot & hittz!

:cash:
 10-11-2010, 04:46 PM         #29
redacted 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
It's only controversial because nobody wants to have to think about this. People would rather plug their ears and cover their eyes instead of acknowledging a problem.

Kudos to Banksy for doing something useful with the intro.

lol @ the "What are you looking at" tag.
 7 years ago '06        #30
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,967 | Props total: 3477 3477
 SpittN4Cash said:
that was dope I fux with the chinese! ... shout out to lil_miss_riot & hittz!

:cash:

..but seriously, I've seen the Simpsons touch bases on sweatshops a bunch of times on the show...but that opening was on a whole 'nother level.
 7 years ago '10        #31
cottonman5grand 7 heat pts
space
space
$1,107 | Props total: 61 61
Family Guy could never have pulled that off, its like every country respects the simpsons enough to not have a problem with them
 7 years ago '08        #32
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,750 | Props total: 12173 12173
at the end of the day its art...no issues ova here....then again imma artist
 7 years ago '05        #33
NomiS 2 heat pts
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 28 28
 ThaNostalgic1 said:
x10...dude was using a dolphins tongue to seal boxes:aloofandbored10:
HELL YEA!
 7 years ago '04        #34
MochaWhitey 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,514 | Props total: 310 310
that s**t was a thing of beauty
 7 years ago '05        #35
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
$13,831 | Props total: 4097 4097
Original post updated with a Hulu video link...
 7 years ago '04        #36
..:Fame:.. 11 heat pts11
space
space
$6,121 | Props total: 975 975
Damn they pretty much said f**k you to fox
 7 years ago '04        #37
WhoThaFuk 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,907 | Props total: 575 575
!Wow! Thought provoking to say the least.
 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM         #38
YOUNGZERO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
There's a lot of symbolism here going over people's heads just like it'll go over most American's heads. Anyone ever heard of the "COVE"??? I don't think BANKSY wanted this to be funny. Through art he's becoming a voice to those without voices..... that's what real tagggging is supposed to be about not about turf wars and bulls**t, right now he's a living LEGEND.
 10-11-2010, 08:19 PM         #39
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

That's why Simpsons > Family Guy

Simpsons have always been this deep.
 10-11-2010, 08:20 PM         #40
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 YOUNGZERO said:
There's a lot of symbolism here going over people's heads just like it'll go over most American's heads. Anyone ever heard of the "COVE"??? I don't think BANKSY wanted this to be funny. Through art he's becoming a voice to those without voices..... that's what real tagggging is supposed to be about not about turf wars and bulls**t, right now he's a living LEGEND.
I didn't find it very funny at all. I thought it was brilliant.
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
47 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
219 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
43 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
323 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
58 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
193 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
151 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
146 comments
23 hours ago