Oct 1 - America's smartest cities... and dumbest. Where does your city rank

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
33 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
49 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
189 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
137 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '06        #1
6890 pageviews
84 comments

servesurite 42 heat pts42
space
space
$9,310 | Props total: 1078 1078
Oct 1 - America's smartest cities... and dumbest. Where does your city rank

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Ever wonder what happened to your high school valedictorian? He or she might just have wound up in Washington, D.C. That metro area has the nation's highest percentage of residents with college degrees.

Call it America's brainiest place to live.

In the District and surrounding suburbs, 47.3% of people 25 years or older have bachelor's, master's, professional school or doctorate degrees, according to new Census Bureau data released Tuesday. The national average barely tips 25%.

The figures don't surprise John Schmidt, senior economist with the Center for Economic and Policy Research in D.C. The city is built on jobs that require degrees.

"There's a very high share of federal government employees here," he said, "and people dealing with the federal government, including defense contractors, lobbyists, businesses that want to influence the regulatory process; there's lots of lawyers."

"Clearly, the biggest factor is still the presence of federal government jobs," he added. "But a lot of people in the 20s and 30s come here interested in public policy. There's an excitement about being in Washington, especially among young people who want to make a difference in the world."

In second-place San Francisco, 43.5% of residents have college degrees or better; San Jose, Calif., the hub of Silicon Valley, ranked third at 43.2%; and Raleigh, N.C., one of the points in that state's "Research Triangle," came in fourth at 42.2%.

Boston, where so many great universities are located, also boasts 42.2% of its population having a degree.

Of course, salaries in those towns are also higher than the national average. That's because a highly educated population is a key to growth and prosperity. Washington, D.C., for example, has the highest median household income of any metro area of more than 1 million residents.

"There's a very high correlation between earnings and educational attainment," said Todd Gabe, an economics professor at the University of Maine. .

Cities also tend to specialize in the kinds of educated residents they attract. San Jose, for example, has a high percentage of residents whose degrees are in computer science or information technology.

That works great for those cities where degrees lead to high-paying jobs. But other areas may have just as many college-educated but salaries can be lower than you'd expect because the degrees are in lower paying fields like teaching or journalism.

"Some types of knowledge are much more highly compensated than others," said Gabe.

Many other "creative class" types -- the artists, web designers, innovative business entrepreneurs and other thinkers -- also tend to coalesce around cities with an educated population.

[15 Up-And-Coming Cities]

Places like New York, where 35.6% of over-25 population have degrees, exemplify that kind of city, as does Los Angeles (30.2%) and San Diego (30.6%).

The metro areas with the lowest levels of educational attainment tend to be the "Building or Comforting Regions," as coined by a Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto study.

Comforting Regions include resorts areas such as Las Vegas, which cater to vacationers, and where the percentage of residents with degrees is only 21.5%.

One good example of a Building city is Riverside, Calif., where only 19.2% of the population has degrees. When residential development was in full flower, there were good paying jobs available to construction workers and others without degrees.

Since the bust, however, the unemployment rate there has jumped to nearly 15% and income has declined. The median household income dropped more than 6% in 2009 to $53,815.

[pic - click to view]

sourcy

84 comments for "Oct 1 - America's smartest cities... and dumbest. Where does your city rank"

7 years ago '08        #2
AyeDre 13 heat pts13
space
space
$10,533 | Props total: 283 283
i'm in san antonio right now. And there are mad stupid people here so I'm not surprised. Anyone smart here moves outta here asap
 7 years ago '08        #3
fit2bboss 8 heat pts
space
space
$5,604 | Props total: 1320 1320
I'm from the bay area. It's nice to see SF and San Jose up there.
 7 years ago '10        #4
beast mode 25 heat pts25
space
space
$13,966 | Props total: 1795 1795
i have a degree and let me tell you,i have been to school with plenty of educated people.....but they are far from smart. title of the study should be "most educated cities" not "smartest cities"
 10-01-2010, 06:10 PM         #5
-BigC- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
A college degree without any more information is meaningless though. An a.ssociates in liberal arts does not mean someone is "smart".
 7 years ago '05        #6
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,442 | Props total: 7081 7081

Quite a lot of stupid people get college degrees.

at that determining intelligence.

10-01-2010, 06:25 PM         #7
Joehook 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cleveland stay losing
 10-01-2010, 06:27 PM         #8
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
RIVERSIDE FOR THE LOSS.
 7 years ago '06        #9
KingK 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$15,250 | Props total: 747 747
 fit2bboss said:
I'm from the bay area. It's nice to see SF and San Jose up there.
this..
 7 years ago '04        #10
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,644 | Props total: 13030 13030
 Bronx Goes Hard said:
RIVERSIDE FOR THE LOSS.
Home of Dallas Braden.
 7 years ago '04        #11
slimyellow 4 heat pts
space
space
$13,110 | Props total: 1150 1150
raleigh, nc
 7 years ago '10        #12
illement 10 heat pts10
space
space
$12,473 | Props total: 1522 1522
I'm somewhere in the middle, but I agree with the n*gga that said educated doesn't mean smartest. Likewise, someone who never finished their degree could have genius level intellect just suitable for college or lack social etiquette
 7 years ago '06        #13
Xaiv 149 heat pts149
space
space
$4,280 | Props total: 2189 2189
 stunna2004 said:
Home of Dallas Braden.
Dallas Braden is from Stockton in the bay area
 7 years ago '07        #14
jr2009 
space
space
$428 | Props total: 207 207
:sad2: i knew the D was gone fall under the stupid cities list......but its kinda hard to argue with it
 7 years ago '08        #15
Dunknown24 34 heat pts34
space
space
$16,019 | Props total: 719 719
 stunna2004 said:
Home of Dallas Braden.
sneak diss fail
 7 years ago '04        #16
doczdaname 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$12,969 | Props total: 4994 4994
 -BigC- said:
A college degree without any more information is meaningless though. An a.ssociates in liberal arts does not mean someone is "smart".
i dont think they are talking about two year degrees but you are right, its really vague.
 7 years ago '04        #17
Krairo 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$957 | Props total: 157 157
Raleigh,NC #4 :applause:
 7 years ago '05        #18
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
would have been over if they tried to compare cities in Ontario. dumbasses.
 7 years ago '06        #19
Jersey826 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,824 | Props total: 1170 1170
#4 on Worst: Tampa

So, wait, does this mean that since Tampa has a lower amount of ppl w/ degrees that if I get a degree I'll get paid more?
 7 years ago '09        #20
MS KRISSI lpe33 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$12,015 | Props total: 7801 7801
This is stupid.

This is why statistics are NEVER right and NEVER will be. All it is - is a "supposed" educated guess.

Pitiful.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
45 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
96 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
59 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Sid From Ice Age Says She's Not Black She's "Tan" and "White".
19 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy