LeBron James says race played role in backlash to his decision

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
37 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM         #361
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Maroon_Tiger said:
key point you missed... 2010 vs. 1996

thats the point kaliz and i are making

the times are VERY DIFFERENT

if lebron left the cavs in 1996, it wouldnt be as much of a big deal
Again, that's a flawed argument...

If it was 1996, Lebron wouldn't have been able to put together the 1 Hour "The Decision" Show...

And if it was 1996, The Cowboys would still be the most dominant team in thne NFL...

And if... And if... And if.

The fact of the matter is, this was fueled by Lebron's camp and their hunger for attention.

He brought this upon himself through his actions... And he can't even be man enough to own it.
 10-01-2010, 12:25 PM         #362
wandering2121 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illstreet said:
Still no answer...

Wow, must be really embarrassing to have been owned so badly.

Who did you own? That's hilarious. I've already dismissed you as irrelevant.
 10-01-2010, 12:26 PM         #363
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Maroon_Tiger said:
NOBODY IS DISPUTING THAT

we're disputing that sports and media have been elevated to A MUCH HIGHER LEVEL and scrutiny of coverage since 1996...

shaq would've faced more of a threat had he been drafted in 2003 had an impact like lebron and carried the team like lebron and left after 7 years in his prime

shaq would've been just as much of a villan as lebron
God... This is just pathetic.

I'm done with this topic boys, I can't do it anymore.

Way too much denial going on in here... It's actually starting to depress me.
 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM         #364
wandering2121 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illstreet said:
Again, that's a flawed argument...

If it was 1996, Lebron wouldn't have been able to put together the 1 Hour "The Decision" Show...

And if it was 1996, The Cowboys would still be the most dominant team in thne NFL...

And if... And if... And if.

The fact of the matter is, this was fueled by Lebron's camp and their hunger for attention.

He brought this upon himself through his actions... And he can't even be man enough to own it.

And you aren't man enough to own up to the fact that you are a doormat to white people. They can walk all over you. You think racism is something that died in the 60's. That can of thinking is funny to me.
 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM         #365
wandering2121 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illstreet said:
Still no answer...

Wow, must be really embarrassing to have been owned so badly.

You are a tool. Going back and forth with you is like trying to debate a mop.
 7 years ago '04        #366
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,097 | Props total: 4108 4108
 Illstreet said:
God... This is just pathetic.

I'm done with this topic boys, I can't do it anymore.

Way too much denial going on in here... It's actually starting to depress me.
You and me both. I'm done. I'm arguing with people who clearly weren't around at the time or don't remember that popularity wise, Shaq was as big as LeBron back then. They think it was the ice age and s**t.
 10-01-2010, 12:33 PM         #367
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wandering2121 said:
We have a right to opinion, b**ch. Just like you have a right to carry white people's bags. If I say race a factor your b**ch a.ss can't tell me that I'm a black panther member that wants to start a race war. I still can't believe you actually mean that. Do you really think that in a forum all people are gonna think the same? You're a fool so you would probably say yes.
Welcome to my ignore list black supremacist. Once you are all gone we can discuss football again.
 7 years ago '04        #368
Kaliz ChamP 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,689 | Props total: 530 530
Society tends to be more in tuned to the negative than the positive..
In this very same thread, a few people acknowledged how Lebrons special generated money for the boys and girls club.. and I swear the very next post someone wrote "it was a tax write off"... as if the children children in need are going to be like" nah, I don't want that scholarship money because its just a tax write off from a millionaire" ... and now I'm understanding why people don't give back because its always somebody trying to find the negative in it
 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM         #369
wandering2121 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Real talk article on ESPN by J.A. adande

"Mav took 'some' blame? SOME?!" @dgoldstein79 tweeted to me. "He's now up for 2 awards: Worst PR decision of the century AND biggest understatement. Congrats!"

No one bothered to parse the racial comments in the same way. How many people noticed that Maverick used the same "s-word" -- some -- in addressing the racial component of the summer-long backlash against LeBron?

"It definitely played a role in some of the stuff coming out of the media, things that were written for sure," Carter said.

It's important to keep in mind that he and LeBron were merely responding to questions. What O'Brien was doing asking them in the first place is another matter. For all we know she could have been trying to gather some sound bites for her next "Black in America" special. She asked and LeBron answered, and according to the transcript, it went as follows:

LeBron quickly evaporated his reservoir of goodwill with the self-serving "Decision." His own actions were responsible for the ignition and the acceleration of the vitriol. Where race comes in is the continuation. The racial element won't be measured in the condemnation, which came from all corners. It will be measured in the willingness to forgive.

Self-indulgent? I always wondered why that tag didn't stick with white athletes such as Eli Manning, John Elway, Danny Ferry and Kiki Vandeweghe, who refused to play for the teams that drafted them until they could force a trade. Did they avoid permanent ostracizing for their blatant attempt to circumvent the rules that are essential for competitive balance in the league simply because they were white? They certainly don't pop up on the list when we talk about spoiled athletes.

LeBron, like the "draft dodgers," never was accused of a major crime against society. But this week LeBron made a transgression that fewer are willing to forgive. He just forced us to discuss the existence of something none of us feels comfortable doing. He caused us to examine the bias that's always lurking, that has the potential to spring from any of us.
 10-01-2010, 12:48 PM         #370
wandering2121 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
Welcome to my ignore list black supremacist. Once you are all gone we can discuss football again.

I'm gonna start a race war, remember? You don't want that.
 7 years ago '07        #371
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$35,778 | Props total: 2740 2740
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
I can't believe some of you dumb n*ggas are actually agreeing with this s**t

Go jump in a lake fam
 7 years ago '05        #372
Sivraj 327 heat pts327
space
space
$45,936 | Props total: 10807 10807
Anybody that thinks that race had to do with the backlash he's getting is ignorant.

48 - 18 STRK: 3 w in a row WIN PCT: 72% 38 (+1) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 20-14, Rank #101 | Aug 16: 163-114, Rank #57 | Aug 15: 638-305, Rank #25 | Aug 14: 350-224, Rank #32 | Aug 13: 442-331, Rank #18 | Aug 12: 1015-657, Rank #9 | Aug 11: 2019-1239, Rank #4 | Aug 10: 1992-1221, Rank #6 | Aug 09: 767-342, Rank #8 *
 7 years ago '10        #373
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$15,166 | Props total: 8195 8195
 wandering2121 said:
Any n*ggas giving Jason Whitlock props is a b**ch. And that means you too.

Agreed, I wish I had aliases like some of these other clowns so I can prop you more than once. I've been reading Whitlock for 2 years now and I swear he and Andrian Wojo from Yahoo are the same people. That n*gga is the biggest uncle tom in sports, acting all holy than thou on Tiger, like he wouldn't have been plugging those hoes.

If you really wanna know what Jason Whitlock is about, look at who he works for, Fox, fair and balance reporting crew, Rupert keeps those darkies on a tight leash.

M.C.daHUSTLA said:
The first time I ever acknowledged you the first impression I got of you was that you were white, am I lying or is this not the truth. Now ask yourself why, and the reason I ask you that is because naturally I will ask myself that and naturally I know it is because of the way you presented yourself. My instincts did not tell me you were black even though your avy is full of slang terms and you have a picture of my favorite rapper. Once I read what you had written, there was no "oh this guy has to be white" or "I think this guy is white", your instincts are created by your experiences in life and based on that, there was not a doubt or a wondering muscle activated in my mind, white is just what you were. But I would like you to do me a favor if you don't, and tell me what you think its about you that would make me think that, not what it is about me, but about you, if you could please.
Hustla is hitting n*ggas with headshots in this thread. If you are a white man you have no clue what its like to deal with racism towards black people and vice versa.

INF4MOUS said:
I can't believe some of you dumb n*ggas are actually agreeing with this s**t

Go jump in a lake fam
You rep NY and if you can't see racism look at your police force, and tell me that race doesn't matter to people.
 10-01-2010, 01:23 PM         #374
-BigC- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
But are people saying racism doesn't exist? I thought the argument was about race playing a roll in the backlash LeBron is getting right now...
 7 years ago '10        #375
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 Nautilus O said:
As least one real n*gga posted in this thread

If this was Dirk Nowitski or Steve Nash people would have been like oh it was great TV and way to go raising money for the kids

Let a black man do it and he's attention whoring, they did the same the to kobe when he went on the radio When's the last time somebody called Donald Trump an attention wh0ore? But Diddy's a **** right??

But its ok for eli manning, roger clemens, and brett farve to stunt on teams openly in public, I aint see no Q rating reports then. Nobody was on tv burning Johnny Damon's jersey

Racism still alive, ya'll just be concealing it.
 JD Adande said:
Self-indulgent? I always wondered why that tag didn't stick with white athletes such as Eli Manning, John Elway, Danny Ferry and Kiki Vandeweghe, who refused to play for the teams that drafted them until they could force a trade. Did they avoid permanent ostracizing for their blatant attempt to circumvent the rules that are essential for competitive balance in the league simply because they were white? They certainly don't pop up on the list when we talk about spoiled athletes.

I need to go work for ESPN, you dumb a.sses in here posting fairy tales, I'm making points days before professional award winning writers even start typing.
 10-01-2010, 01:38 PM         #376
-BigC- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its not the same situation, Kobe did the same thing and was not criticized for it. Magic did the same thing and was not criticized for it.

There is a difference between not wanting to go to a franchise and doing what LeBron did. And since you can't see that no you should not be working for ESPN...
 7 years ago '10        #377
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
 -BigC- said:
Its not the same situation, Kobe did the same thing and was not criticized for it. Magic did the same thing and was not criticized for it.

There is a difference between not wanting to go to a franchise and doing what LeBron did. And since you can't see that no you should not be working for ESPN...
Really, pretty sure they dragged him through the mud for his comments on Bynum and wanting to be traded.
 7 years ago '04        #378
God_Manifested 19 heat pts19
space
space
$1,459 | Props total: 65 65
 Illstreet said:
This has already been addressed... I'm am not going to devolve into some racial, "Inglourious Basterds" Jew Hunter interogation with you... ... Especially so that you can distract from addressing the point that totally blows up the argument you have been using for the past day.

Shaq left Orlando in his Prime to go to the more Hollywood Desination, almost exactly like Lebron, and no one got upset about it...

There was no backlash. No Anger. No Nothing...

Can't explain that can you?

Of course you can't.

Until one of you lames who were in here spewing all your bulls**t can explain this, then everything you have said in here has been complete and utter nonsense.

You're all avioding it like the plague.

Hilarious.

Take your L with dignity... You should be used to it by now.
Because man to try and explain the difference in the two is to much Shaq and Lebron are both big time athletes, it's something you almost naturally have to understand, cause that s**t can get ocean deep. But a challenge is something I have always had trouble resisting so I will do it, but I worry about the intelligence level of you guys and if I am wasting my time, I don't like to do that. But this is a very unique question to answer it's going to take the understanding of relevancy, profit margins, and potential, from an ideal and business perspective. And a lot of things I understand from just my observances and experiences, are things I don't like to say without the numbers to back it up when dealing with the common man. But I am going to do this but you will have to do your own research to either prove what I say right, wrong, or whatever. When dealing with the common man I like to use "shock value" and " "matter of fact", this is a perceptual question almost on the level of discussing them as stocks, or as a business idea or experiment. But I was challenged, so here we go, and I will try to make this as simple as I can. The first thing in making the comparison this guy used null and void is showing the differences from day one between Lebron and Shaq.

Exhibit A: The Hype

Now the first thing I am going to bring to the table is Exhibit A, if you will, and what it is, is a briefing of their lives around the same time in their lives from their wiki pages, Shaqs is titled "Early life" and "College Career" and Lebron's is a lil different, but for the common man's sake we will call it "Early life" and "High School Career". And also just a slight briefing on why I am doing this is just to show the difference between them since day 1. I do not believe I would have to do this if there was no salary cap in the league, because their salaries would do it for me, of course comparing them at the same time in their careers.

And while thinking about that it brings an example to mind, Alex Rodriguez and his departure from the Texas Rangers, now I'm going to be honest here I have never watched a whole baseball game in my life I am not a fan of baseball, I barely know the rules, I am truly an urban black male, only three sport exist to me, Basketball, Football, and Boxing. And also I must say the further along I go, the more the lack of admiration, for the guy that wrote this article you stand by, is increasing. For him to use such a poor comparison, he is either trying to be manipulative to the common man or he is an idiot in a position he should not be in. But back to Alex, the hype that surrounded his salary and team switch was so enormous that even I a person that is not a fan of baseball and did not know who he was before then had to take notice, and what you have to understand is when it comes to the common man hope almost and a lot of time completely revolves around hype.

So what Exhibit A is about is hype and the hope that comes from it and the separation in theirs in the early stages of their, if I may careers, believe it or not what Lebron did in High School could be considered a career and it would make sense, basically the only separation would be payment, and that's another debate.

Shaq:

Early life:

O'Neal credits the Boys and Girls Club of America in his hometown of Newark, New Jersey, with giving him a safe place to play and keeping him off the streets. "It gave me something to do," he said. "I'd just go there to shoot. I didn't even play on a team."O'Neal first gained national attention while playing at Linton Middle School. He led his Robert G. Cole High School team, San Antonio, Texas, to a 68–1 record during his two years there and helped the team win the state title during his senior year.His 791 rebounds during the 1989 season remain a state record for a player in any classification.

College career:

After graduating from high school, O'Neal attended Louisiana State University, where he studied business. He had first met Dale Brown, LSU's men's basketball coach at that time, years before in Europe. With O'Neal's stepfather stationed on a U.S. Army base at Wildflecken, West Germany, and his godfather a First Sergeant at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio,Texas, O'Neal attended Fulda American High School, a DODDS school.
While playing for Brown at LSU, O'Neal was a two-time All-American, two-time SEC player of the year, and received the Adolph Rupp Trophy as NCAA men's basketball player of the year in 1991.O'Neal left LSU early to pursue his NBA career, but returned to school in 2000 and received a Bachelor of Arts in General Studies. He was later inducted into the LSU Hall of Fame.

Lebron James:

Early life:

James was born on December 30, 1984 in Akron, Ohio, to a 16-year-old mother, Gloria. His biological father, Anthony McClelland, was an ex-convict who left Gloria and forced her to raise LeBron by herself. James has two children with his high school sweetheart, Savannah Brinson. The first, LeBron James Jr., was born on October 6, 2004, and the second, Bryce Maximus James, on June 14, 2007. James played football during his high school years at St.Vincent-St. Mary's. In his sophomore year he was named first-team all-state as a wide receiver, and in his junior year he led his team to the state semifinals. Sports analysts have speculated on whether he could have played in the NFL.

High School Career:

James attended St. Vincent–St. Mary High School in Akron, where he became a starter during his freshman year for the f!ghting Irish. He averaged 21 points and 6.2 rebounds, and led the team to a 23–1 record, en route to the Division III state title. Keith Dambrot, now head coach at the University of Akron, was the head coach at St. Vincent–St. Mary. Coach Dambrot started working with James doing $1 clinics at a local recreation center. In his sophomore year, James averaged 25.2 points, 7.2 rebounds, 5.8 a.ssists and 3.8 steals. He led the team to a 26–1 record and a Division III state title for the second straight season. He was the first sophomore to be named Ohio's "Mr. Basketball" and became the first sophomore ever selected to the USA Today All-USA First Team.

In James' junior year his stats improved again. He averaged 29.0 points, 8.3 rebounds, 5.7 a.ssists and 3.3 steals and was again named Mr. Basketball of Ohio. He earned a spot on the All-USA First Team, and was named the 2001–2002 boys' basketball Gatorade National Player of the Year. It was at this time that his nickname "King James" became a household staple in Ohio.

James appeared in SLAM Magazine, which began his nationwide exposure. The St. Vincent–St. Mary basketball team did not defend its state title when increased enrollment forced the team to move up to the more challenging Division II (Ohio high school basketball has four divisions based on annual enrollment figures) and lost to Roger Bacon High School (Cincinnati). James considered declaring for the 2002 draft after the season ended by petitioning for an adjustment to the NBA's draft eligibility rules, which at the time required prospective players to have at least completed high school. The petition was unsuccessful, but it ensured him an unprecedented level of nation-wide attention as he entered his senior year. By then, James had already appeared on the covers of Sports Illustrated and ESPN The Magazine. His popularity forced his team to move their practices from the school gym to the nearby James A. Rhodes Arena at the University of Akron. NBA stars such as Shaquille O'Neal attended the games, and a few of James' high school games were even televised nationally on ESPN2 and regionally on pay-per-view.

In 2003, James' mother, Gloria James, got approval of a loan to buy a Hummer H2 for her son's 18th birthday. The bank took her son's future earning power into consideration, prompting an investigation by the Ohio High School Athletic a.ssociation (OHSAA). Under the OHSAA guidelines, no amateur may accept any gift valued over $100 as a reward for athletic performance. When James later accepted two throwback jerseys of Wes Unseld and Gale Sayers worth $845 from NEXT, an urban clothing store in Shaker Square, in exchange for his posing for pictures to be displayed on the store's walls, OHSAA stripped him of his eligibility. James appealed and a judge blocked the ruling, reducing the penalty to a two-game suspension and allowing him to play the remainder of the season. James' team was forced to forfeit one of their wins as a result. That forfeit was the team's only official loss that season.

Despite the distractions, the Irish won a third state title, with James averaging 31.6 points, 9.6 rebounds, 4.6 a.ssists and 3.4 steals on the season. James was named to the All-USA First Team for an unprecedented third time, and was selected as Mr. Basketball of Ohio for the third year in a row. He earned MVP honors at the McDonald's All-American Game, the EA Sports Roundball Classic, and the Jordan Capital Classic. Although it was a foregone conclusion, by participating in more than two high school all-star events, James officially lost his NCAA eligibility. James finished his high school career with 2,657 points, 892 rebounds and 523 a.ssists.

Now the reason for this is so you can see and understand from a visual stand point the difference in the two of them from the very beginning. This is something the elite already know and understand naturally. But something you have to present to the common man, which is not abnormal for me, obviously from the term common alone, but is something that takes a lot of work. But once you get the common man to understand it, it can be very profitable, and you can walk away with a their whole inheritance. Because rarely do I run across a common man that I would want to even talk to, none the less get him for his minimal wages, unless he has an inheritance of some sort or he has been lucky. And which once he runs across me his luck will end, unless I see him fit to roll with the MOB, if I may, because of other qualities like loyalty, respect, and fearlessness.

But for this to really hit home you have to grasp the concept that for the common man "hope revolves around hype", if not then I have truly wasted my time. But maybe you have an elites around with whom you place trust, and can explain to u when u take hype and present it to the hopeful (common man) in a believable manner, once that hype is put on demonstration and it lives up, money is the least of what you will gain from it, you will now have the power, which in turn will make you "KING".

Another thing I want you to notice is that in the building up of Shaq's hype a key factor is missing from his early life and college career and that is controversy. When people hear that you are in High School and you are under investigation for diving an H2 Hummer, that alone with some people that have not even seen you play, the hype is already becoming a reality. You will already be considered by many common men ,that have not seen you play, to be a great player. One more analogy before I move on to Exhibit B, it is one thing to hear from people you know and trust that a man can walk on water, but once you see it in the flesh that instant your life will change and the person who walked on the water life will too, cause he proved himself to be who he and others said he was, and now you will naturally give him "Power". Now for Exibit B: Livin Up to The Hype ........... To be continued
 7 years ago '10        #379
Marcus Aurelius 49 heat pts49
space
space
$7,900 | Props total: 3973 3973
Do people have no common sense? Ya'll acting like this is the only thing Lebron has done to make him disliked. He acted like a cool guy when he came in the league but it didn't take long for him to act like an arrogant douche bag on NUMEROUS occasions.

Running off the court without shaking hands on multiple occasions? Guaranteeing his participation in the dunk contest then not playing? Throwing his jersey at the feet of towel boys? Dancing all the time during blowouts? Standing at the three-point line and quitting during the playoffs?That's just the tip of the iceberg. How many current players and legends have said something negative about Lebron BEFORE 'The Decision'? The only people who liked him before were Cleveland fans but he played them. Not even all Heat fans like dude. Yet Kobe was accused of raping a chick and running Shaq/Phil out of town and you hear him heaped with praise...isn't Kobe black? Because he learned from his mistakes and went out, kept his head down, and played team basketball and won games. How many BLACK players and legends said something about him AFTER 'The Decision'? Barkley, Magic, etc. I guess they're all racists deep down?

All the other players people are mentioning didn't do classless s**t over and over and over...Eli was a b**ch for forcing a trade but I haven't heard a negative thing about his character since which is why people forgot. Cats like McGwire and Clemens fell from grace real quick when it came out they used roids. Randy Moss used to catch hell all the time for similar s**t as Lebron but then he grew up and stopped doing dumb s**t and he's well-respected. People were ready to forgive T.O. several times but he just kept doing the same thing everywhere he went. Same thing Lebron does.
 7 years ago '05        #380
Chuck Hustle 
space
space
$8,517 | Props total: 0 0
 -BigC- said:
But are people saying racism doesn't exist? I thought the argument was about race playing a roll in the backlash LeBron is getting right now...
Thats what I thought, I have two people(or maybe 1 guy 2 aliases) jumpin on my for saying race wasnt a factor in the LeBron thing... I dont feel it was, does racism exist? Hell yeah it does
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
37 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
245 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
108 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy