Most Lifters are Still Beginners (Rippetoe Article)

most viewed right now
 41
DONT LET THESE TRAPS FOOL YOU! Here's how to effectively avoid them.
41 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 30
Video inside 50 was ready to stab up Suge back in the day
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 30
Image(s) inside This is what the richest zip code in America looks like
98 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 29
NBA James Harden just PERMANENTLY ENDED Draymond Green tough guy career :mjlmf..
28 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 8 years ago '04        #41
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,179 | Props total: 768 768
 ajheightz said:
Idk how you suppose to do squats 3x a week. I can only do it twice a week and my legs be sore as fuk
Well it's not like your doing a bunch of other bulls**t on top of that. :agreement6:
 10-24-2010, 10:47 AM         #42
eliot ness  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajheightz said:
Idk how you suppose to do squats 3x a week. I can only do it twice a week and my legs be sore as fuk
When you first start out, your muscles will feel that way, but overtime you won't be as sore after each workout. Just to give you some reference, I started out on this program 2 years ago. At the time I was about 140lbs. and could only squat 100lbs. By the time I was done with the program (little less than a year) I was squatting 290lbs. Number is not impressive by any means, but it was amazing to see I made that much gain in a year. I also saw considerable gains on my bench and dl for a beginner. The key most people need to understand is this routine is really geared towards beginners who have very little weightlifting experience. After you get to a certain level, then you move on to other routines.
 8 years ago '08        #43
DUCE 141 heat pts141
space
avatar space
space
$10,563 | Props total: 574 574
im a month into this program and ive been adding 5 pounds every workout

i just got a question, how many reps should i be able to do by myself? for example today i did bench 3 sets, first set i did 5 by myself, 2nd i did 4 by myself 5th someone helped, last set i did maybe 2-3 by myself

is that enough? should i be hitting a certian number of reps by myself?
 8 years ago '08        #44
N/A 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
 cuddyduce said:
im a month into this program and ive been adding 5 pounds every workout

i just got a question, how many reps should i be able to do by myself? for example today i did bench 3 sets, first set i did 5 by myself, 2nd i did 4 by myself 5th someone helped, last set i did maybe 2-3 by myself

is that enough? should i be hitting a certian number of reps by myself?
I just finished reading the book, he recommends being able to get through all of your work sets with little to no help and good form before you up your weight. Maybe you should decrease your weight 5-10 pounds and concentrate on form. Thats what I need to do with my bench and press. My form is suffering because I'm eager to push more weight so I think I'm going to back off 10 pounds next time.
 8 years ago '04        #45
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,179 | Props total: 768 768
 cuddyduce said:
im a month into this program and ive been adding 5 pounds every workout

i just got a question, how many reps should i be able to do by myself? for example today i did bench 3 sets, first set i did 5 by myself, 2nd i did 4 by myself 5th someone helped, last set i did maybe 2-3 by myself

is that enough? should i be hitting a certian number of reps by myself?
You should be able to complete every rep on your own.
 8 years ago '08        #46
DUCE 141 heat pts141
space
avatar space
space
$10,563 | Props total: 574 574
 N/A said:
I just finished reading the book, he recommends being able to get through all of your work sets with little to no help and good form before you up your weight. Maybe you should decrease your weight 5-10 pounds and concentrate on form. Thats what I need to do with my bench and press. My form is suffering because I'm eager to push more weight so I think I'm going to back off 10 pounds next time.
 enetblazin4eva said:
You should be able to complete every rep on your own.
thanks
 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM         #47
-BigC-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I am a beginner and I am wondering if there are any machines that can take place of anything in the workout. The gym I go to I can normally get on the bench but the other s**t is always crowded as f**k and I just don't have the patience to wait right now. In a month when I get off of school I can just go at night and handle it but right now even when I go around 9:00pm its crowded.

So any suggestions?
 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM         #48
MrAmazing  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol @ machines.

here is my advice: whoever is in the squat rack...tell them you would like to use it also. Don't be a girl about it.

profit.
 11-07-2010, 02:56 PM         #49
-BigC-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah I do that but the problem is theres normally a s**t load of people at the time I go. A lot of MMA dudes go there so it gets deep as f**k with people and I don't like standing around wasting time. Machines may not even close to as good as free weights but I don't have that much time most of the time when I go to the gym...
 8 years ago '04        #50
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$11,179 | Props total: 768 768
 -BigC- said:
Yeah I do that but the problem is theres normally a s**t load of people at the time I go. A lot of MMA dudes go there so it gets deep as f**k with people and I don't like standing around wasting time. Machines may not even close to as good as free weights but I don't have that much time most of the time when I go to the gym...
It's a simple concept; follow the program or don't...
 11-07-2010, 05:55 PM         #51
-BigC-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its a simple question, answer it or don't be a douche...
 8 years ago '05        #52
MysticKJ 28 heat pts28
space
avatar space
space
$15,758 | Props total: 5492 5492
 pkilla111 said:
this guy sounds like a f**kin moron. who would follow this plan or listen to this moron

are you serious? Rip is a big name and a leader in this field...

i didn't pack on 50lbs but i've gone from 185 to 225 using a program similar to this about a year ago...
 8 years ago '08        #53
N/A 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$639 | Props total: 1 1
 -BigC- said:
Its a simple question, answer it or don't be a douche...
Different gym? And as far as machines, the concept of better range of motion along with the added benefit of stability and balance using free weights is what gives them the advantage. I was trying to do squats at first in a smith machine, when I switched to actual barbell squats there was a noticeable difference, mainly in being able to maintain better form.
 11-07-2010, 07:15 PM         #54
-BigC-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aight if there is no alternative I will look into other gyms or I will ask the people who run the gym when that area is normally empty or not a zoo.

Thanks for the input I appreciate it.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 15
May 21 - Dad takes late son's girlfriend to prom, one month after fatal crash
58 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside This girl is so fcking ugly Oh my but her body A1
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside TAYLOR BANNER out here looking like something to eat! 🌱
92 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside Damn! Tina Fey Is Getting Thick
74 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 7
Motion Capture King Andy Serkis Takes On Jungle Book In First Trailer For ‘Mow..
33 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 6
Video inside k dot kicks w**** girl off stage for n****
614 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 6
Video inside Jose Guapo out here down bad
61 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
 4
Image(s) inside 🐰 Perfect Snowbunny.IMPOSSIBLE DECISION🐰
119 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy