Riley Fires Back at Heat Critics

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
24 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
160 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
126 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
6 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '09        #1
6316 pageviews
163 comments

heatrepeat 8 heat pts
space
space
$1,297 | Props total: 0 0
Riley Fires Back at Heat Critics

The start of the Miami Heat's 2010-11 training camp is still a couple of weeks away.

But team president Pat Riley was in intense playoff mode Friday while finally firing back at those who took painful shots at his team's free agency coup to lure LeBron James and Chris Bosh to join Dwyane Wade.

Speaking to select local beat writers during a 42-minute conference call, Riley addressed several issues facing the team entering the Sept. 27 start of training camp at AmericanAirlines Arena. But none of the subjects he addressed revealed more of his true feelings than his response to TNT's Charles Barkley, Orlando GM Otis Smith and Magic coach Stan Van Gundy.

All three had plenty to say about the Heat and some of its players after James and Bosh shook up the NBA's landscape and joined forces with Wade in Miami. Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan and several current and former players also launched shots at how this version of the Heat came together.

"I think all these people should get a life. I really do." Riley said of the general, league-wide backlash aimed at the Heat. "Most of it has been silly, absolutely silly. But I understand. We live in a different world now. I can't even relate to it. I take a little bit of umbrage to some of the things that came from people in our game that all of a sudden have become the moral conscious or moral authority on the decision every team or some individual might make."

And that set the stage for some pretty direct points from Riley.

He was a bit offended by Smith, the Orlando GM, who raised questions about LeBron's competitiveness for deciding to leave a solid title contender in Cleveland to latch on with Wade and Bosh in Miami.

"When Otis Smith made a point about LeBron's competitiveness because he didn't stay in Cleveland, I thought it was an absolutely stupid remark," Riley said Friday. "He never made any kind of comment like that when he signed (forward) Rashard Lewis, and brought him down from Seattle to a $128 million contract."

And then there were the comments from Van Gundy, a former Heat head coach and Riley understudy before his controversial departure from Miami in 2005. It was Stan Van Gundy who was quoted in referring to Bosh as a "lapdog" to Wade in Miami.

"I don't know what happened to some of these guys along the way," Riley said.

But the best came when Riley turned his attention to Barkley, who referred to James' treatment of Cleveland and the decision to go to Miami as "punk moves." Barkley also didn't like the way the Heat celebrated the signings by putting on a fireworks show and rock concert-type performance at the arena in July.

"Charles Barkley, to me, went way over the top. Way, way, way over the top," Riley said. "For some reason (the media) and the network he works for has given this guy literary license to say whatever he wants to say whenever he wants to say it. I think Charles is the only guy in the league who can get away with what he gets away with ... and we all let him get away with it again. I can guarantee a couple of guys don't like that, being called that. LeBron isn't that. Dwyane is surely not that, and neither is Chris."

So now, it's really on.

"There have been a number of things written all summer long about the three guys we signed," Riley said. "But in the end, they're the ones, all three of them, that showed a world-class personality. They took the hit, and now, they're ready to compete. They've been mentally tough with all these kind of things."

Read more:
[pic - click to view]

On the Beat: Miami Heat
Yeah boi..! That shows a lot when you got your GM backing you up like that. Don't worry, they'll be ready come october. Then we'll seee who be talking.

163 comments for "Riley Fires Back at Heat Critics"

09-10-2010, 07:13 PM         #2
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"When Otis Smith made a point about LeBron's competitiveness because he didn't stay in Cleveland, I thought it was an absolutely stupid remark," Riley said Friday. "He never made any kind of comment like that when he signed (forward) Rashard Lewis, and brought him down from Seattle to a $128 million contract."

:guns: fired
 7 years ago '10        #3
Ambassador 444 heat pts444
space
space
space
$18,665 | Props total: 5 5
Shut the f**k up
 09-10-2010, 07:22 PM         #4
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '10        #5
MrTripleDouble 
space
space
$2,440 | Props total: 177 177
 7 years ago '10        #6
MrTripleDouble 
space
space
$2,440 | Props total: 177 177
 YoungNiNsane said:
Shut the f**k up
So much fail in your avy.
 7 years ago '04        #7
madness 15 heat pts15
space
space
space
$13,021 | Props total: 2914 2914
<<<<<======= cant fukk with the don
 7 years ago '07        #8
sleep23rd 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,820 | Props total: 290 290
I respect Pat Riley's gangsta...........real talk
 7 years ago '09        #9
heatrepeat 8 heat pts OP
space
space
$1,297 | Props total: 0 0
props to the mastermind.
 09-10-2010, 07:27 PM         #10
-BigC- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Did he just compare Rashard Lewis to LeBron?
 7 years ago '04        #11
Mark-Ez 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,054 | Props total: 1281 1281
yep Riley is the Don all you haters are about to get merked.
 7 years ago '07        #12
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,377 | Props total: 13032 13032
GANGSTER! PIMP! GODFATHER! DON!!!

lmao get em riles
 7 years ago '06        #13
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
:sad5:

the poor heat

they have brought none of this on themselves at all :cry:

they have never made any predictions during their introductions :cry:

they have also never had any crazy introductions or anything either

so he's right I don't know what all the fuss is about
 7 years ago '06        #14
ThaShark316 86 heat pts86
space
space
$12,998 | Props total: 53 53
I was with em until he said all 3 showed world class personality ....
 7 years ago '06        #15
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
"Charles Barkley, to me, went way over the top. Way, way, way over the top," Riley said. "For some reason (the media) and the network he works for has given this guy literary license to say whatever he wants to say whenever he wants to say it. I think Charles is the only guy in the league who can get away with what he gets away with ... and we all let him get away with it again. I can guarantee a couple of guys don't like that, being called that. LeBron isn't that. Dwyane is surely not that, and neither is Chris."

and you know what? Pat is right about this too. f**k somebody for voicing their opnion. and most of all f**k Charles Barkley for his commie free speech talk. You know what? if chuck has an opinion why doesn't he go with the f**king commies in China
 7 years ago '04        #16
cali22buck 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,379 | Props total: 42 42
 -BigC- said:
Did he just compare Rashard Lewis to LeBron?
thats what im sayin.....makes no sense...
 7 years ago '04        #17
ImSoBroke 
space
space
$1,058 | Props total: 28 28
The general spoke now its war time
 7 years ago '09        #18
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$48,948 | Props total: 22209 22209
magic fans crying right now.

but it took riley way too long to make a statement
 7 years ago '07        #19
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,377 | Props total: 13032 13032
 beantown said:

and you know what? Pat is right about this too. f**k somebody for voicing their opnion. and most of all f**k Charles Barkley for his commie free speech talk. You know what? if chuck has an opinion why doesn't he go with the f**king commies in China
how's a CELTICS fan of all people gonna have some s**t to say...then be so salty u double post tryna call other people salty
 09-10-2010, 07:55 PM         #20
Joehook 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 beantown said:

Your bitterness amuses me so much
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
85 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
47 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
22 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
40 comments
2 days ago