Drake Recalls Being A Lost Kid, "I Dropped Out Of High School Against My Mother's Wishes"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
64 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
91 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne Tha god & Joe Budden Working On A New Show.
147 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #1
6472 pageviews
35 comments

EastBroadway 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,494 | Props total: 5 5
Drake Recalls Being A Lost Kid, "I Dropped Out Of High School Against My Mother's Wishes"

Young Money's Drake has recalled his dark childhood days, battling through his mother's apprehension toward him dropping out of high school and giving up on acting before becoming a rap star.

While he didn't encourage his fans to skip out on education, Drake did stress the importance and value of staying true to your passion.

"At one point in my life, I was a kid who was lost," Drake revealed in an interview with radio personality Sana G. "I knew I wanted to do music, but, I dropped out of high school against my mother's wishes, who happens to be a retired teacher. A lot of people told me it was the wrong decision, that leaving acting was the wrong decision. A lot of the things I was doing was not the smartest choices but passion is what drove me. I'm not advising you to drop out of school, I'm just advising you to follow your heart and if you really believe in something and you project that, I believe that it does come back to you, so, I aligned myself with great people which I feel like is the key to success and here I am." (106 KMEL)

Writing via Twitter over the weekend, Drake's labelmate Nicki Minaj stressed the importance of taking school seriously.

"Congrats barb!!! Dats awesome!! :) ---> RT @MissTahj: @NICKIMINAJ Guess what nicki..im going 2 be valedictorian of my senior class! :)," she tweeted Saturday (September 5).

"LUV IT! :-) --> RT @AmyMacedo: @NICKIMINAJ I'm ready for back 2 school HB! What u think? :) #PinkFridayhttp://plixi.com/p/43220243"

"Dear barbz, this year I want u to truly shine in school. Promise me you'll focus. Put the phones & ipods away and shine. Luv alwayz, HB." (Nicki Minaj's Twitter)

Last year, Drake and Minaj's Young Money labelmate Shanell aka SNL hit up SOHH to reflect on her school days.

"I was a little outcast," Shanell jokingly revealed about her school days. "My whole thing was I moved from Massachusetts which is the East Coast to Atlanta, Georgia which is the South. And when I first moved to the South, they were looking at me like, 'What!?' because it was so different. I had to just maintain what I knew and maintain myself and I always kinda stuck out like a sore thumb but it was okay, I learned to love it. I was different, I was an outcast but nobody ever made fun of me, I was maybe like the girl in school that everybody knew but I didn't know them. Nothing was intentional, it was just what I knew and where I came from." (SOHH)

In the past, Lil Wayne was featured in an education-based commercial to promote a "Get Schooled: You Have The Right" program.

"Growing up in a tough neighborhood is something I know a little about," Weezy said in the commercial's intro. "It's not easy and you have to rise up and stand out. Right now, fewer than one in ten lower income students can expect to earn a bachelor's degree. Odds like that, a better life seems harder to come by. America needs a stronger educational system and the time is now for bold reform. We owe the next generation a brighter future. Motivate. Educate. Elevate. Get Schooled. ("Get Schooled")

Check out Drake's interview below:

[video - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Drake Recalls Being A Lost Kid, "I Dropped Out Of High School Against My Mother's Wishes" [Video] | SOHH.COM

35 comments for "Drake Recalls Being A Lost Kid, "I Dropped Out Of High School Against My Mother's Wishes""

7 years ago '06        #2
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,977 | Props total: 3524 3524
Drizzy's a Triple O.G....

...he went through so much.

...but look at him now.

Livin Life gave props

09-07-2010, 10:03 AM         #3
Icemouth 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
His dark childhood consists of dropping out of high school?

That poor ol boy now i understand the pain he express in his music
 7 years ago '10        #4
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
In a room full of High School dropouts who spend all their time on the internet, im a.ssuming there will be no sympathy or empathy here..
Livin Life gave props

7 years ago '05        #5
A~team 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,779 | Props total: 1590 1590
 Icemouth said:
His dark childhood consists of dropping out of high school?

That poor ol boy now i understand the pain he express in his music
a dark childhood could contain anything its all about what you consider "dark" bruh.
 7 years ago '04        #6
LovinPavan 
space
space
$5,634 | Props total: 1134 1134
i k!lled alot of family pets.... brother's fishes.
went against what everyone wanted.... mother's wishes.

-drake
 09-07-2010, 10:25 AM         #7
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL i just read this s**t on twitter. Young Money pushes for education!??!1

[video - click to view]

This is Lil Wayne as your s3x ed teacher!! haha YEEAAA RIIIITEEEEEE

[pic - click to view]

09-07-2010, 10:27 AM         #8
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Drake's Sad childhood

[video - click to view]

09-07-2010, 10:35 AM         #9
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 09-07-2010, 10:39 AM         #10
Lyriceater 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 LovinPavan said:
i k!lled alot of family pets.... brother's fishes.
went against what everyone wanted.... mother's wishes.

-drake

09-07-2010, 10:44 AM         #11
Beaker 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
why does Drake insist on ethering himself in every interview???
 09-07-2010, 11:04 AM         #12
WorldsStrangest 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

7 years ago '04        #13
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
I thought he went to college for a couple years? How did this happen? I dont think he got a GED
 7 years ago '07        #14
CheezyDoDo 15 heat pts15
space
space
$11,363 | Props total: 184 184
drake such a real n*gga man,
 7 years ago '08        #15
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,109 | Props total: 23333 23333
"Then I looked at my bank stub and laughed all the way home. I'm glad I dropped out" is what should have came after he said that sh1t. Who cares about high school when you're making what your whole graduating class will make in a year for a weeks worth of shows? I damn sure wouldn't give a fukk

Last edited by Arson; 09-07-2010 at 12:07 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #16
Bruce Leeroy 
space
space
$16,662 | Props total: 813 813
 Arson said:
"Then I looked at my bank stub and laughed all the way home. I'm glad I dropped out" is what should have came after he said that sh1t. Who cares about high school when you're making what your whole graduating class will make in a year for a weeks worth of shows? I damn sure wouldn't give a fukk
"You gotta get that education bro! Who cares if you made a million a year for the past 10 years, that education is more important!" On the real though I think most kids should at LEAST finish highschool. But if you can find away around what society deems "right" then congrats to you.
 7 years ago '05        #17
Nickel 118 heat pts118
space
space
$11,231 | Props total: 179 179
 NahLij said:
We all knew he quit school but it wasn't because he as lazy, its just that he's just not the social type and we all know that campus life s crazy......

[pic - click to view]

CheezyDoDo said:
drake such a real n*gga man,
u sound gay right about now man...
[pic - click to view]

type suspect
 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM         #18
tj.iscool 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
who hasnt dropped out of school & went against their mothers wishes?
 7 years ago '05        #19
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818

This guy really wants to sneak some type of "thug imagery" into his repertoire some kind of way doesnt he?
 7 years ago '10        #20
murd410 31 heat pts31
space
space
$3,946 | Props total: 351 351
 TheMindOf said:
In a room full of High School dropouts who spend all their time on the internet, im a.ssuming there will be no sympathy or empathy here..
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
108 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
159 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now