Why is drake struggling to sell a miilion when insiders claim his debut album would sell more grodt?

most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
53 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
12 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Israeli "lawyer" with a fatty :kobedatass:
60 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-28-2010, 04:19 PM         #141
MrPolo4MyLogo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CheezyDoDo said:
its a way diffrent market now bruh
you cant tell me if TML was dropped in 2002 that it wouldnt be atleast doubl plat right now

s**t chammilionaire went diamond off one song back in the day
lil flip, paul wall slim thug all went plat or gold back then

08-28-2010, 04:20 PM         #142
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 wtr1906 said:
This n*gga album is plat and n*ggas in this thread talking about it ain't selling....

Do you know how many rappers in 2010 WISH their album was plat and a debut at that. Kids on Boxden, you gotta love em
Let's stay in one lane, talking about drake's buzzz versus 50's. Let stay there. Please dont say they didnt compare the two. 50 around 11.9 worldwide, drake not at a million.
 7 years ago '10        #143
Petty Wap 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,051 | Props total: 315 315
 BabyBatterBoy said:
rappers aren't selling less cause of the economy. rappers are selling less cause rap music is garbage these days. all songs sound the same, no lyrical content, it's all about how hard the beat bangs. f**kin trash. all these clowns would never have even been mentioned back in the 90's cause they would have all flopped hard.
I have to disagree with u on that. It is because of the economy because even mega superstar's is'nt selling like they use too. Remember when Britney and Em use to do like 1+ mill. in a week? that was normal back then. It has alot to do with the economy.

And dont blame the rappers for making "garbage" music blame the record labels. They're the ones who make the final decisions. They have to make their money back somehow.No other way to make their money back if they dont cater to the white/mainstream audience.

That's why local/underground/indie music is the best.
 08-28-2010, 04:22 PM         #144
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iAmKingMook said:
drake buzz was big BUT it wasnt like 50 was....more like 04 kanye
I fully agree with you champ. I think we might need to compare drakes buzz to the new "WOO TANG" album.
 08-28-2010, 04:23 PM         #145
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadyVsEminem said:
It was expected to cruise to platinum though

People can say other rappers would love to be going plat but the fact is this album under achieved and it had all the producers,features and media backing he could of wished for.

^As a matter of interest what sized venues does he play at?
i am not sure but i know i saw him in concert at the white river ampatheatre which was sold out and holds 20,000
 08-28-2010, 04:25 PM         #146
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MasakoX said:
i am not sure but i know i saw him in concert at the white river ampatheatre which was sold out and holds 20,000
20,000, 50 preformed in front of 60,000 proves nothing.
 7 years ago '07        #147
six1twan 3 heat pts
space
space
$981 | Props total: 179 179
Man its so FU<KED up out here just think if OUTKAST-Speakerboxx/LoveBelow came out this day and age that 11 mill sold would be down to about 3 to 4 mill sold trust me
 08-28-2010, 04:28 PM         #148
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 six1twan said:
Man its so FU<KED up out here just think if OUTKAST-Speakerboxx/LoveBelow came out this day and age that 11 mill sold would be down to about 3 to 4 mill sold trust me

No way they sold 11 million.

Source ?
 7 years ago '04        #149
youngmic 407 heat pts407
space
space
$28,434 | Props total: 29667 29667
 Gunner said:
Two different artists and two different times. 5 years ago I was not a a member of BX and I was actually buying albums. The net has changed dramatically in the way music/media/movies is readily obtained. EM is an entity onto himself and his fans are zombies to whatever he drops, so he and his fans undoubtedly helped drive the 50 cent machine. GRODT was a great album and something hip hop needed at the time, so it was the perfect storm for how 50 blew up. I liked Drake alot when his first two mixtapes, but he failed to capitalize on his massive buzz when So Far Gone dropped. Hip hop is a fickle industry and as an artist, you have to strike when the iron is hot because when you cool down it can be ice cold. Only a handful of artists can drop and go platinum off of name alone no matter what type of material they put out and we already know who these artists are. Drake may have missed the boat on album sales, but it's only his first album. The second album will tell us where Drake really is as an artist. Drake has the exposure and the loot, so I can't really hate on him, even though I didn't feel his album like that.
this
 7 years ago '07        #150
six1twan 3 heat pts
space
space
 Barbie l Minaj said:
for a new artist struggling or not he's still doing great numbers. Most establish 10+ yrs. artist cant even do it. and for him to have lost majority of his hype for releasing the album so late and still selling good is great IMO

Exactly Ludacris cant even go platinum now he stuggles to reach gold nowadays and he was a true platinum selling artist in the early 2000's
 08-28-2010, 04:31 PM         #151
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 slimwillie said:
drake doesnt have 9 million fans. regardless of the economy every1 was f**king w em and 50 when they first dropped. drake is an industry f**got who struggles for platinum.

why sell ur self out for less then millions upon millions? aubrey sold himself out to get a million fans

TML is for women and c*cksuckers
You realize artists put out concepts, some sink and some swim. No one album is the definitive measure of an artist. You make claims like sold himself out to get a million fans when you know that's wrong in more ways than one.

1. CD sales =/= fan count

2. You said he sold out ... did you write the contract up for him to sign? What makes you think he's sold out? For all you know he may have always envisioned a debut album men and women can relate to. i liked about half that cd .. im sure girls liked the half i wasn't interested in though.

3. He's not the only one struggling for platinum. There's very few artists getting that platinum, so him doing it is an accomplishment and normal people don't hate on accomplishments.

4. If he sold 1 million and CDs then you can bet he has more than 9 million fans. Not up to 1/10th fans bought a CD. It's just the way of life now that music is so easy to bootleg.
 7 years ago '07        #152
six1twan 3 heat pts
space
space
 ajeana said:
No way they sold 11 million.

Source ?
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
In September 2003, OutKast released a double album, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. It is essentially two solo albums, one by each member, packaged as a single release under the OutKast banner; the two members also appear on each others' discs for a few songs apiece. Big Boi's Speakerboxxx is largely a funk and Dirty South blended party record; André 3000's The Love Below features only brief instances of hip hop, presenting instead elements found in funk, jazz, rock, electronic music, and R&B.[1]

The album is also OutKast's biggest commercial success yet, having debuted on the Billboard 200 albums chart at number-one and stayed there for several weeks. The album eventually sold over five million copies, and, as double-album sales count double for Recording Industry a.ssociation of America certification, the album was certified diamond for 10 million units shipped in December 2004. Its latest certification, in May 2006, reaches 11 million copies in shipping.[1]

The first two singles from the album(s), which were released nearly simultaneously, were Big Boi's "The Way You Move" and André 3000's "Hey Ya!" The video for "Hey Ya!" is based on The Beatles' landmark appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. The video's storyline has "The Love Below"—a fictional band with all members, through the use of special effects, played by André—performing in London. "Hey Ya!" was the number one song on the very final weekend of American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. It was also number one a week later on the very first weekend of American Top 40 with Ryan Seacrest. The singles spent ten weeks at number one on the Hot 100 singles chart, with "Hey Ya!" spending nineteen weeks and "The Way You Move" briefly taking over in February 2004. These singles were seen as a breakthrough for the hip-hop industry, being among the first hip-hop songs to be widely played on adult contemporary radio stations.[1]

OutKast's next official single was not released until the summer of 2004. "Roses", a track featuring both members from The Love Below half of the album, did not meet the level of success as either of its predecessors, but it became a modest-sized hit on urban radio and the American music video networks. The video for "Roses" is loosely based on the musicals West Side Story and Grease. It featured sparring 1950s-style gangs, one representing Speakerboxxx, and one representing The Love Below, parodying the widespread arguing among critics and fans as to which half of the album was better. The final singles were André 3000's "Prototype", which was paired with a science fiction-themed video about alien visitors, and Speakerboxxx's "Ghettomusick", which featured both members of OutKast and a sample from a song by Patti LaBelle, who also makes an appearance in the video.[1]

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below won the Grammy Award for the 2004 Album of the Year, becoming only the second rap album to ever receive the honor (the first being The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill in 1999). OutKast was one of the headlining acts at the show, and gave two performances: Big Boi and Andre performed "The Way You Move" with Earth, Wind & Fire during a medley with George Clinton & P-Funk and Robert Randolph and the Family Band, while André 3000 performed "Hey Ya!" as the show closed. In February 2004, André 3000's performance, which featured dancers moving wildly around a green teepee in war paint and feathered headdresses, was criticized by the Native American Cultural Center, who called for a boycott of OutKast, Arista Records, NARAS, and of CBS, the broadcaster of the awards show. CBS later apologized.[8]
 08-28-2010, 04:35 PM         #153
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajeana said:
20,000, 50 preformed in front of 60,000 proves nothing.
this aint 03 b**ch

drake caused riots in NY when he performed

i know he has had concerts wit 40K

drakes concerts always get great reviews 4.6/5
50 is 4.2/5
(ticketmaster)
and 50 aint even got hype enough to tour right now.

AND at this dumb b**ch not knowing outkast sold 11 mil and that it is the highest selling hip hop album of all time. get the f**k out of here. i work in the industry you know nothing

this b**ch thinks its 2003 on 50's d!ck. his career is

[video - click to view]

10 MIL more than you have made in your life

Last edited by MasakoX; 08-28-2010 at 04:37 PM..
 08-28-2010, 04:37 PM         #154
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 six1twan said:
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
In September 2003, OutKast released a double album, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. It is essentially two solo albums, one by each member, packaged as a single release under the OutKast banner; the two members also appear on each others' discs for a few songs apiece. Big Boi's Speakerboxxx is largely a funk and Dirty South blended party record; André 3000's The Love Below features only brief instances of hip hop, presenting instead elements found in funk, jazz, rock, electronic music, and R&B.[1]

The album is also OutKast's biggest commercial success yet, having debuted on the Billboard 200 albums chart at number-one and stayed there for several weeks. The album eventually sold over five million copies, and, as double-album sales count double for Recording Industry a.ssociation of America certification, the album was certified diamond for 10 million units shipped in December 2004. Its latest certification, in May 2006, reaches 11 million copies in shipping.[1]

The first two singles from the album(s), which were released nearly simultaneously, were Big Boi's "The Way You Move" and André 3000's "Hey Ya!" The video for "Hey Ya!" is based on The Beatles' landmark appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. The video's storyline has "The Love Below"—a fictional band with all members, through the use of special effects, played by André—performing in London. "Hey Ya!" was the number one song on the very final weekend of American Top 40 with Casey Kasem. It was also number one a week later on the very first weekend of American Top 40 with Ryan Seacrest. The singles spent ten weeks at number one on the Hot 100 singles chart, with "Hey Ya!" spending nineteen weeks and "The Way You Move" briefly taking over in February 2004. These singles were seen as a breakthrough for the hip-hop industry, being among the first hip-hop songs to be widely played on adult contemporary radio stations.[1]

OutKast's next official single was not released until the summer of 2004. "Roses", a track featuring both members from The Love Below half of the album, did not meet the level of success as either of its predecessors, but it became a modest-sized hit on urban radio and the American music video networks. The video for "Roses" is loosely based on the musicals West Side Story and Grease. It featured sparring 1950s-style gangs, one representing Speakerboxxx, and one representing The Love Below, parodying the widespread arguing among critics and fans as to which half of the album was better. The final singles were André 3000's "Prototype", which was paired with a science fiction-themed video about alien visitors, and Speakerboxxx's "Ghettomusick", which featured both members of OutKast and a sample from a song by Patti LaBelle, who also makes an appearance in the video.[1]

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below won the Grammy Award for the 2004 Album of the Year, becoming only the second rap album to ever receive the honor (the first being The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill by Lauryn Hill in 1999). OutKast was one of the headlining acts at the show, and gave two performances: Big Boi and Andre performed "The Way You Move" with Earth, Wind & Fire during a medley with George Clinton & P-Funk and Robert Randolph and the Family Band, while André 3000 performed "Hey Ya!" as the show closed. In February 2004, André 3000's performance, which featured dancers moving wildly around a green teepee in war paint and feathered headdresses, was criticized by the Native American Cultural Center, who called for a boycott of OutKast, Arista Records, NARAS, and of CBS, the broadcaster of the awards show. CBS later apologized.[8]
Its not valid enough for me, seems like as if there just talking. Even if its true, still didnt sell more than GRODT worldwide.
 08-28-2010, 04:38 PM         #155
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^yeah it did by a good amount lol how stupid are you?
 7 years ago '10        #156
Petty Wap 21 heat pts21
space
space
$3,051 | Props total: 315 315
I thought Outkast was only Diamond because it was an double disc album.. Counting as 2 sold, instead of 1.
 08-28-2010, 04:39 PM         #157
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajeana said:
Its not valid enough for me, seems like as if there just talking. Even if its true, still didnt sell more than GRODT worldwide.
What's your obsession with GRODT? is that the best album you've ever heard?
 08-28-2010, 04:39 PM         #158
ajeana  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MasakoX said:
this aint 03 b**ch

drake caused riots in NY when he performed
i know he has had concerts wit 40K

drakes concerts always get great reviews 4.6/5
50 is 4.2/5
(ticketmaster)
and 50 aint even got hype enough to tour right now.

AND at this dumb b**ch not knowing outkast sold 11 mil and that it is the highest selling hip hop album of all time. get the f**k out of here. i work in the industry you know nothing

this b**ch thinks its 2003 on 50's d!ck. his career is

10 MIL more than you have made in your life
50 would have to, it was a free concert. Times are hard.
 08-28-2010, 04:40 PM         #159
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajeana said:
50 would have to, it was a free concert. Times are hard.
Would have, but didn't.

Fact.
 08-28-2010, 04:41 PM         #160
MasakoX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^lol his 5 burrough concerts werent selling out or causing riots. in africa people snatched his chain. real popular. if you start talking about fif in real life they will be like WTF? drake is relevant 50 aint
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
46 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
106 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
62 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
113 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
124 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
186 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
71 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy