most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
80 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-21-2010, 05:31 PM         #1
6374 pageviews
18 comments

PUA Lifestyle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thinking about opening up Ice Cream shop

Heres the deal, I worked at a Carvel for a little more than 3 years, after the first year or so they bumped me up to shift supervisor, keep in mind im just finishing up my senior year in high school. I practically ran that place on the days that I worked. My shift would usually be 10am-10pm on sat or sun, one or the other, not both, and either 5 or 7 hour shifts on the week days. Owners/managers would come in at 9 and leave at noon, come back close to closing or after closing. So I was always running the store, in charge of employees, working the machines, fixing the machines when there were problems, I felt like I knew that business inside and out.

Now here I am present day going into my last semester at school coming out with 2 degrees. I know for a fact im not going to do this right out of school, but its really something Id like to do within 3-5 years after school.

Anyone have any knowledge on opening up a small business, in the restaurant/food services?
What am I going to have to do to put a plan together and get the ball rolling?

18 comments for "Thinking about opening up Ice Cream shop"

7 years ago '04        #2
big jeffrey 
space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 359 359
a mom and pop ice cream shop? or somethin like carvel or dairy queen?
 7 years ago '07        #3
[MK] 
space
space
$2,826 | Props total: 438 438
In Michigan during the winter Dairy Queen type places are closed due to cold weather, so its not a year round Cash flow. You should go to dairy queen website and look @ the business plan and see the cost of start up, like McDonald's and little ceasars pizza will show breakdown of costs and stuff so you can see what you are getting into.

Don't forget franchise fees, also want to consider if this is a business you will be a hands on owner or have an expeirenced manager you trust who isnt a retard and wont steal your money, those are problems my friend had to deal with owning a few pizza shops. Cash businesses are
n easy way to skim profits so be careful

Good luck

Last edited by [MK]; 08-21-2010 at 07:57 PM..
 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM         #4
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I was thinking a mom and pop niche ice cream shop.

Theres this place a few towns over when you walk in, to the right theres 3 machines with two flavors of soft serve in each and a swirl in the middle. Theres only one size cup and based on the weight thats how much it costs. Then theres a toppings bar and its a complete do it yourself and they make a k!lling there. I wont directly copy that, but over the next years I want to rack up some ideas and put it into action.

I do live in the northeast, and with carvel it was slower during the winter season, but they sold ice cream cakes and for some reason those still sold very well year round, so I was going to have that as well. Plus you can pay kid s**t money lol.

Before I left, I was making $10.50/hour plus tips, I dont know why I left, probably for sales experience.
 08-22-2010, 01:31 PM         #5
hoodnigganick  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
my sister openin a cake shop, u should work wit her lol
na it seems like your lookin at it realistically so i say go for it.
what you need to do is figure out how much its gona cost to get started and whether or not you can pay back that loan.
and i say go for like a "i kno young people" approach. make it seem like its the place to be.
and make it seem like your famous for sum type of ice cream lol
 7 years ago '07        #6
Seb.201 
space
space
$387 | Props total: 12 12
Work on your credit in order to receive the best loans at good rates. Do your market research and see if even Franchising and opening up your own Carvel or Baskin Robbins is better.By where I live they have the Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbin combos they roll in pairs if ur interested in trying to get even more profit in there and if ur doing the mom and pop approach try thinking how you can change the game in a sort of way. Frozen yogurt is really good too and you can pitch health with that.
 7 years ago '08        #7
mh bich who els 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,042 | Props total: 37 37
frozen yogurt is whats hot nowadays....self serve and they charge by the ounce...
 7 years ago '04        #8
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,644 | Props total: 2650 2650
BX members get free ice cream.
 7 years ago '05        #9
FalconBuddha 16 heat pts16
space
space
$7,616 | Props total: 1688 1688
have you thought about gelato? there are a bunch of gelato places opening up here in san diego (i know thats a much difference setting than the north east), and they are a really trendy places, and are usually always busy. I mean there is one by my work over here that is so packed on weekends that you basically have to call in a reservation, but it is more than just gelato, they have REAL italian food there too

Just another idea for you
 7 years ago '06        #10
HYPHY_50 1 heat pts
space
space
$897 | Props total: 207 207
Where do you live? If you live some place where its cold a few months out of the year what are you going to do for residual income? How are you going to compete with bigger business like dairy queen, cold stone, etc? Theres a old retired guy who bought a old fed ex truck and turned into a mobile ice cream shop. He sells only hand scooped ice cream from april-september and does pretty well.
 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM         #11
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 mh bich who els said:
frozen yogurt is whats hot nowadays....self serve and they charge by the ounce...
Yeah and its a bit healthier for you as well.

FalconBuddha said:
have you thought about gelato? there are a bunch of gelato places opening up here in san diego (i know thats a much difference setting than the north east), and they are a really trendy places, and are usually always busy. I mean there is one by my work over here that is so packed on weekends that you basically have to call in a reservation, but it is more than just gelato, they have REAL italian food there too

Just another idea for you
I was considering gelato, but maybe just as an addition to the shop, I have no clue how to make it lol. Im good with ice cream.

I guess we will see what happens, Ive always wanted to work in the sports industry and im getting degrees in sports management and business management, so I will have some options as far as the degrees will take me.

It would also be nice to be my own boss.
 7 years ago '04        #12
big jeffrey 
space
space
$2,385 | Props total: 359 359
dunkin donuts sounds like ana amazing idea
 7 years ago '09        #13
head first 
space
space
$1,987 | Props total: 2 2
Im Just working off Common Sense but If the ice Cream doesn't Taste Good then don't open one at all because you'll lose right out the Gate " Unless your going to sell them Cheap as s**t with some Holiday or Kid Deals" But All in All, The Ice Cream HAS to Taste Good.

How will YOUR Ice Cream shop compete with the Heavyweights like Carvel? and Mcdonalds or Applebees?

You Have to start small. Get 2 for the Price of One and Free for the Kids or something. i mean Yea thats means more work and more money for you and your employees to spend and do but thats also more Customers in the Long Run which means More Money. Also have a Five Star Staff, Hire Good People who can communicate with Customers and not a**holes. The Last thing you want is people being afraid of going to your shop because of a b**chy Cashier. Also You Need People who can work Swift. Customers LOVE seeing people working Swift with their food It Makes them feel special.

Then You have to deal with Location which might be a heavy price depending on where your going to be Located at but my best bet is to be Located in Large Areas and Crowded Strips for more Exposure. Play some Music outside the shop to attract certain crowd, Young and Old. Seed out which music People Like. Some Drake here, Some Temptations here, Some Taylor swift here.

Plus you need a slick and Simple design for your Shop.

Last edited by head first; 09-04-2010 at 10:50 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #14
hily 
space
space
$15,360 | Props total: 689 689
Quite honestly a topping bar is not a big turn on, I don't eat ice cream much in general but a variety of flavors has more appeal.
 7 years ago '08        #15
Keno 19 heat pts19
space
space
$7,035 | Props total: 4861 4861
Just because the main stream spot you were working @ was hot doesn't mean yours is going to be. How much ice cream do people eat around your way?
How many ice cream businesses are there are your way?

Need to answer those questions first, you may can operate the day to day, but can you make profit off of it is the question.
 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM         #16
domo360206  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yo make an ice cream freezer vending machine. throw them b**ches around some hot spots and rake in the money.

you heard if here first.
 7 years ago '05        #17
Sluggernaut 19 heat pts19
space
space
$23,462 | Props total: 4406 4406
Dude...

A man owned a Quiznos by my school... it made money cuz there was competition with a neighboring Subway. His wife really wanted an ice cream shop... Just their luck, the business next to their Quiznos failed so a spot opened up. They made their little ice cream shop and didn't sell s**t... He ended up selling his Quiznos or closing it down too.
 09-05-2010, 06:23 PM         #18
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 OldeEnglish22oz said:
Dude...

A man owned a Quiznos by my school... it made money cuz there was competition with a neighboring Subway. His wife really wanted an ice cream shop... Just their luck, the business next to their Quiznos failed so a spot opened up. They made their little ice cream shop and didn't sell s**t... He ended up selling his Quiznos or closing it down too.
I was talking to friends at my university today, they said the closest ice cream shop closed down, it was a coldstone, which is known to be expensive. Im not saying i would stay in the northeast with it, but by my school theres really nothing close by. Its in the middle of the suburbs.

Right now this is just an idea, I have a lot of time to really think about it and see if its a realistic opportunity.
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
167 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
90 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
227 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy