Has Jay-Z ever dealt with any great adversity?

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA 5 Players Who Were Lebron Before Lebron
50 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
53 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #81
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,883 | Props total: 8407 8407
 China Man said:
Call it picky or what you want, but the specific thing I was aiming for was something that could have completely derailed his career or life.

Like I said, the average music fan probably doesn't know about his nephew's death <-- and it's not really sold as when talking about Jay-Z.
but what does the "average music fan" have to do with HIM going through something. are you saying its not great adversity if the "average music fan" doesnt know about it?
 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM         #82
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Curtisimo said:
Selling drugs is not dealing with adversity everybody and they moms sells or have sold drugs in the hood.

anyway his nephew died

and Just to get where he's at in his career he had to deal with major adversity

You don't think his decision to partwith Dame and Biggs is a great adversity??

You don't think dealing with the bulls**t in the music biz (on screen and behind the scenes) is not dealing with great adversity?
I talked about the Dame thing earlier.

Everyone has to deal with the music biz lol.

Like I've said, I have not said he hasn't dealt with any major adversity. I am talking about a specific type of GREAT ADVERSITY, like those I had listed.

No one seemed to continue the question I brought about the Rick Ross and Chris Brown and Rihanna...I'll say it again...

And let me ask you, has Jay-Z been through anything that could have derailed his career in the same way the C.O. exposure has to Ross?

Just like the Rihanna Chris Brown situation... has Jay-Z ever been through anything that could have almost COMPLETELY derailed his career like Chris Brown?
 08-18-2010, 09:39 AM         #83
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StateProperty88 said:
but what does the "average music fan" have to do with HIM going through something. are you saying its not great adversity if the "average music fan" doesnt know about it?
I'm just trying to explain to what I mean by great adversity, and the core to what I'm asking.

I ain't dissin nobody, I'm just trying to be real and discuss.
 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM         #84
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Curtisimo said:
Jay-z bounced back after the Nas beef

alot of people started taking shots at Jay-z (Foxy Brown, Ja Rule, DMX etc) when Nas put out Ether

before that everyone was on his d!ck
Yeah this was the one thing I had on my mind and probably 1 that sticks out the most at this point.

Props for actually addressing this while other people are posting songs.
 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM         #85
youngbasedkltn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 China Man said:
I talked about the Dame thing earlier.

Everyone has to deal with the music biz lol.

Like I've said, I have not said he hasn't dealt with any major adversity. I am talking about a specific type of GREAT ADVERSITY, like those I had listed.

No one seemed to continue the question I brought about the Rick Ross and Chris Brown and Rihanna...I'll say it again...

And let me ask you, has Jay-Z been through anything that could have derailed his career in the same way the C.O. exposure has to Ross?

Just like the Rihanna Chris Brown situation... has Jay-Z ever been through anything that could have almost COMPLETELY derailed his career like Chris Brown?
 7 years ago '05        #86
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,883 | Props total: 8407 8407
 China Man said:
I'm just trying to explain to what I mean by great adversity, and the core to what I'm asking.

I ain't dissin nobody, I'm just trying to be real and discuss.
yeah im just saying though what does the average music fan have to do with someone going through great adversity?
 7 years ago '04        #87
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,131 | Props total: 4527 4527

[pic - click to view]

ok yes i did but at end, i wish i hadnt
 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM         #88
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AK1 said:
China man if you heard all his albums
You should know that jay doesn't go in specific detail of what you're askin for...
Why don't you wait till his book hits shelves first...
Wait, one minute everybody was talking about how his nephew's death was Armageddon to his life/career, and now you're telling me he doesn't go into specific detail to what I'm asking for?

Honestly, that just sounds like a selling tactic. Dude is 40+... I'm sure he'll get into specific details in his book, but I don't think you'll see anything on the level of what I'm asking for.
 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM         #89
deLeet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think this is what your looking for

Jay-Z pleaded guilty Wednesday morning to stabbing record producer Lance "Un" Rivera in December 1999 and is expected to be sentenced to probation.

He faces up to three years' probation for the third-degree a.ssault charge, according to a spokesperson for the Manhattan district attorney's office.

The incident took place December 2, 1999, at the Kit Kat Club on West 43rd Street in Manhattan, at a listening party for Q-Tip's solo album Amplified. Jay-Z, who had performed earlier that night at a separate party for his own then-new album, The Life and Times of S. Carter, had denied any wrongdoing from the start (see "Jay-Z Turns Himself In To Police For Questioning, Denies Involvement In stabbing").

A sentencing hearing is scheduled for December 6.

Defense attorney Murray Richman had no additional comment, and prosecutor Joan Illuzi-Orbon didn't return calls by press time. Spokespeople at Island Def Jam and Roc-A-Fella, the label Jay-Z co-founded with Damon Dash, couldn't comment by press time, and a spokesperson for Rivera's label, Untertainment, did not return calls.

Before the plea, Jay-Z faced up to 15 years in jail on charges of felony a.ssault in the second degree if found guilty at trial.

Rivera had drafted a civil suit against Jay-Z following his arrest but didn't file it after they settled the matter out of court for between $500,000 to $1 million, according to the a.ssociated Press.

The criminal case had been rescheduled numerous times since Jay-Z's arrest on December 3, 1999 (see "Jay-Z Charged With Felony a.ssault, Lawyer Maintains Rapper's Innocence").

A day before the guilty plea, a separate gun-possession charge against Jay-Z was dropped, according to a Manhattan district attorney spokesperson. The rap star, bodyguard Hamza Hewitt and two other men were arrested April 13 when New York police found a loaded .40-caliber Glock in Hewitt's waistband (see "Jay-Z Arrested On Gun Charge").

Hewitt admitted sole ownership of the firearm, and Judge Charles Solomon dismissed the charges against the other three men. Hewitt will be sentenced for criminal possession of a weapon on December 4.

Jay-Z's latest album, The Blueprint, will be #4 on next week's Billboard 200 albums chart, according to SoundScan figures released Wednesday (October 17). It has sold more than 1.1 million copies since its release five weeks ago.
 08-18-2010, 09:45 AM         #90
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Curtisimo said:
ETHER could have derailed his career

Lucky he was smart enough to announce "retirement" on the black album so people can give a f**k about him again

because people was s**tting on BP2 (except for die hard Jay-z fans) when it came out
I responded to you on another post, and I'd give the same response with this post ha ha
 7 years ago '04        #91
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
1. Got pulled over with trunk full of crack, slipped out luckily.

2. shot at close range three times, all missed him

3. Pun went over his head with a cristal bottle, if this happened today and was on youtube it could do some damage.

4.stabbed Lance and almost went to Jail

5. Lost the Ipod that had his unfinished version of Blueprint 3 but luckily never leaked.

6. Probably the most dissed rapper in history but still made it through all beefs.

7. Was able to survive arguably the hardest diss record of all time (Ether).

8. Dropped a Classic on 9/11 and still managed to go Platinum.

9. The Sunshine Video

10. and he pretty much had a harder time getting in the game than almost any other artist.
 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM         #92
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 StateProperty88 said:
yeah im just saying though what does the average music fan have to do with someone going through great adversity?
Because if the adversity is great enough, it can be sold and the average music fan would probably know about it. That's why it would be career/life threatening...
 7 years ago '05        #93
Swisher sweet 87 heat pts87
space
space
$15,792 | Props total: 2 2
 deLeet said:
I think this is what your looking for

Yes this is what I was talking about earlier. This stabbing case that could have f**ked him over royally.

:agreement6:
 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM         #94
youngbasedkltn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:

3. Pun went over his head with a cristal bottle, if this happened today and was on youtube it could do some damage.

5. Lost the Ipod that had his unfinished version of Blueprint 3 but luckily never leaked.

6. Probably the most dissed rapper in history but still made it through all beefs.

9. The Sunshine Video

10. and he pretty much had a harder time getting in the game than almost any other artist.
time to go back to making my shoes mr china
 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM         #95
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
See, what's funny is, people were hating when I had the eminem thing listed since he brought it on himself <<<--- and ya'll were right.

Now, this Jay-Z stabbing case, he brought upon himself for the stabbing, BUT it could have ruined his career. However, he caught a break. It wasn't something Jay-Z willed his way through.

It's something that could have derailed his career and obviously answers the Chris Brown/Rick Ross question (read the previous sentence twice before making your next post), but it doesn't answer the underlying question. If it had it would have a much bigger deal. He caught a break (or just enough $$$ to get through it).

I mean are ya'll going to really say, damn Jay-Z is real, he won a case.
 08-18-2010, 09:58 AM         #96
deLeet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 China Man said:
See, what's funny is, people were hating when I had the eminem thing listed since he brought it on himself <<<--- and ya'll were right.

Now, this Jay-Z stabbing case, he brought upon himself for the stabbing, BUT it could have ruined his career. However, he caught a break. It wasn't something Jay-Z willed his way through.

It's something that could have derailed his career and obviously answers the Chris Brown/Rick Ross question (read the previous sentence twice before making your next post), but it doesn't answer the underlying question. If it had it would have a much bigger deal. He caught a break (or just enough $$$ to get through it).

I mean are ya'll going to really say, damn Jay-Z is real, he won a case.
yo.... forget it
 7 years ago '07        #97
A-L-P 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,040 | Props total: 1023 1023
Had a still born baby in 2000 (he said he was expecting a child in that 1999 song "Fa Da Fam")
Survivied an attempt on his life where 3 shots were fired at him point blank range
Shot his brother for stealing his ring (he could've done heavy time for that)
stabbed Lance "Un" Rivera in 1999 (He could've went away for a long time but he got probation for 4 years)
The whole church is against him (that could've had a negative effect on his career but he still sells)
He survived Ether (I remember when alot of his fanbase turned on him during late 2001 early 2002 but he came back from it)
Survived verbal attacks from Tupac (Jay was a rookie rapper and Pac was one of the biggest rappers at the time)
His nephew died in a car accident in a car that Jay bought
His father died right after they reconcilied they're differences after his dad was absent from most of his life.
He grew up Marcy Projects and I know thats not easy.

The fact that he started grinding in 86 until his album came out in 96 was great adversity. His first major hit didn't happen until 98 so thats like a 12 year grind. I know people who gave up they're dream after months of grinding lol.
 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM         #98
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:

That's called catching a break. When you deal with adversity, it's about things that have happened.

Like in sports, if a player on a team gets hurt...like say if Dwight was hurt and was out for the year. Magic would have to have deal with major adversity. But if Dwight got hurt and was out for a week? That's a break.

I would a.ssume that you'd understand that I'm asking for something you would respect Jay-Z for getting through. This wouldn't fall under that category.

Addressed.

Catching a break. This actually sounds like bulls**t. If it was lost, the person probably got $ to give it back. Too much money here for this story to be true.

Like I said, I thought about this and I guess this is all that I can really conclude to at this point.

9. The Sunshine Video
Come on, son.

Explain. ALMOST ANY OTHER ARTIST? Yeah, please explain that to me.
 08-18-2010, 10:03 AM         #99
China Man  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 A-L-P said:
Had a still born baby in 2000 (he said he was expecting a child in that 1999 song "Fa Da Fam")
Survivied an attempt on his life where 3 shots were fired at him point blank range
Shot his brother for stealing his ring (he could've done heavy time for that)
stabbed Lance "Un" Rivera in 1999 (He could've went away for a long time but he got probation for 4 years)
The whole church is against him (that could've had a negative effect on his career but he still sells)
He survived Ether (I remember when alot of his fanbase turned on him during late 2001 early 2002 but he came back from it)
Survived verbal attacks from Tupac (Jay was a rookie rapper and Pac was one of the biggest rappers at the time)
His nephew died in a car accident in a car that Jay bought
His father died right after they reconcilied they're differences after his dad was absent from most of his life.
He grew up Marcy Projects and I know thats not easy.

The fact that he started grinding in 86 until his album came out in 96 was great adversity. His first major hit didn't happen until 98 so thats like a 12 year grind. I know people who gave up they're dream after months of grinding lol.
I've addressed everything you listed, and like I said the ether thing is really the only thing that I can say falls under what I was asking.

I know people who've given up their dream after a few weeks of grinding lol
 7 years ago '10        #100
aka ReeSe 6 heat pts
space
space
$18,697 | Props total: 3744 3744
 JoeyPrince said:
No offense but why are u asking this question on boxden?...
Jay is one of the few real ex drug dealers in the game.
He grew up in Marcy projects
He had no father in his life like many children of the ghetto

... and snoop was hit wit a murda case that almost put him away for a long time
even made a song about it
Same thing I was thinking when I read the part about Snoop. I was thinking like "this dude must be a youngin".
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
82 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
126 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
108 comments
23 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy