why do rappers use DJs on mixtapes?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Breakfast Club interviews Lavar Ball & Sons On Family Business, Discipline..
80 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #21
notic99 25 heat pts25
space
space
$7,584 | Props total: 0 0
only dj i can stand is Ill Will

others are trash like drama.... puts out good tapes but screams for no reason and rewinds s**t for no reason
 7 years ago '07        #22
dnycem 3 heat pts
space
space
$11,739 | Props total: 1750 1750
 Swisher sweet said:
I always thought of DJ's as hypemen

It gives the mixtape personality....most of the times it's annoying tho.
 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM         #23
Sam Rothstein  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thread starter must be a 90s baby or just started listening to hip-hop. 7 or 8 years ago you really didn't have a choice.

DJ's were getting their hands on exclusive songs, songs the radio didn't play until a month or two later. So, if you wanted to listen to exclusive music and be ahead of the crowd, you didn't have a choice. It was either listen to a Clue tape or wait a few weeks until the songs were out.

Most rappers were doing exclusive songs for mixtapes because they knew how powerful the market was, and they knew how much money these guys were making. So, you had songs that you couldn't get anywhere else and it had tags all over it. It benefited the artist and the DJ.

Nowadays the roles are reverse, the DJ's need the artist, the artist doesn't need the DJ. It's a bumpy relationship, though.
 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM         #24
domo360206  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^

im a 90s baby and proud. :cool-smiley-009:

we don't even need djs at house parties no more. make a 100 song playlist on the ipod and plug it up to the speakers.
 7 years ago '05        #25
DJ Controversy 
space
space
space
$562 | Props total: 5 5
 Rowe said:
Some DJs mix/master/produce?... 1 reason

Some DJs have huge followings with their mixtapes... 2 reasons

A lot of these DJs actually have radio shows & s**t... 3 reasons

Its cross promo, for example:

DJ Drama is widely known, wouldn't it be a good look for your tape to be hosted by him? His name alone will help your tape's chances of being heard if ur that wack, & vice versa. The DJ & artist can grab fans from each other.. not everyone thinks DJs are annoying like yall do, lol
School theese Fools!!!
 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM         #26
Sam Rothstein  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 domo360206 said:
^

im a 90s baby and proud. :cool-smiley-009:

we don't even need djs at house parties no more. make a 100 song playlist on the ipod and plug it up to the speakers.
You never know what might happened at a party, you need someone there to change the song and set the mood. You don't want to listen to the full song, some songs get dull when you're at a party. You still need someone there to press the button.
 7 years ago '10        #27
aka ReeSe 6 heat pts
space
space
$18,697 | Props total: 3744 3744
Only DJs that aren't annoying to me are Drama, Ill Will & Don Cannon.
 7 years ago '08        #28
Gmengfx 75 heat pts75
space
space
$12,650 | Props total: 1220 1220
djs started mixtapes..its there hustle..but ya it gets annoying..

but to the ones who said WHY THE f**k DO DJS SCREAM ON THE SONGS

its cuz if there in the studio with gucci..and its a brand new song

there tagging it..letin everyone no they the first ones with it..or helped put it together

so some no name cant jus come jack it and claim its his..but they always do a tape with no dj

in lots of threads youll see

ANY ONE GOT THE NEW BURPRINT NODJ?

find those
 7 years ago '05        #29
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,187 | Props total: 11750 11750
"The Cannon!" = best drop ever.
Whoo Kid shut used to be decent til he started putting them kids saying Yay! And Tarzan n s**t all over the tracks.
Drama got good drops.
Kay Slay always been annoying with the drops. I listened to his leak of Ether so many times I can remember what he said when the song 1st dropped when I play the album version
 7 years ago '07        #30
kakish 9 heat pts
space
space
$12,936 | Props total: 1532 1532
 Rowe said:
Some DJs mix/master/produce?... 1 reason

Some DJs have huge followings with their mixtapes... 2 reasons

A lot of these DJs actually have radio shows & s**t... 3 reasons

Its cross promo, for example:

DJ Drama is widely known, wouldn't it be a good look for your tape to be hosted by him? His name alone will help your tape's chances of being heard if ur that wack, & vice versa. The DJ & artist can grab fans from each other.. not everyone thinks DJs are annoying like yall do, lol
this exactly...
 7 years ago '07        #31
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,400 | Props total: 16106 16106
 n*gga123 said:
I fukin hate DJs on mixtapes.....(exept maybe whoo Kid) they are soooo annoying. I wish artists would just put tht s**t out there without all these DJs, it holds up the release of the mixtapes and makes it sound like s**t. Can't understand a fukin bar being spit due to DJ's saying their name over and over again..... f**k MIXTAPE DJS!!!!!! :angry14::angry14::angry14:
thats because Deejays started mixtapes but in this world where talent has been sidelined its okay not to "mix" thats why it was called a mixtape.. This is why it is important to study history of culture. Real Dj's make music with their hands not mouths..these aren't deejays they just people who play music...anybody can do that
 7 years ago '05        #32
Flatbush85 54 heat pts54
space
space
$14,388 | Props total: 695 695
Well when file sharing reaches its peak, and selling 10,000 copies of an album starts to be considered a good haul, we know the first place some cuts are going to be made...Drake pretty much proved that without DJ's your mix-tape will sound more like an album....
 7 years ago '05        #33
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
:iough:
 08-18-2010, 06:25 PM         #34
Rowe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What k!lls me is that people are coming in here to s**t on the DJ & dont even know the DJ's job..they're just a.ssUMING he does nothing. learn about the craft before u go s**tting on it damn.
 7 years ago '04        #35
R. Joven 17 heat pts17
space
space
$5,126 | Props total: 65 65
I'd imagine that the best benefit of using a DJ is their distribution channels. But that's less important nowadays, I'd think.
 7 years ago '08        #36
lookin$pac 3 heat pts
space
space
$2,160 | Props total: 100 100
a mixtape is supposed to have a dj thats what they do before we knew mixtapes as being new or exclusive tracks from an artist mixtapes were platforms that showed the djs skill ie. scratching, mixing, and the unique flavor of that dj. its changed a lot now but a mixtape without a dj is like a album without vocals its just not complete. some djs are garbage and some do they thang like superstar j kwik on the gucci tapes he did he would do a lil rhyme at the end or beginning that fully explained the song much like big rube does for an album
 7 years ago '10        #37
aka ReeSe 6 heat pts
space
space
$18,697 | Props total: 3744 3744
Maybe it's just me, but I swear some DJs be having me hype when I'm listening to mixtapes.

n*ggas be rapping and say an average a.ss line and the DJ will be like "DAMN!!! Bring that s**t back!!!". Gunshots go off and they bring the verse back....that s**t be having me hype as f**k for some reason!

When I hear the no DJ version, its just not the same.
 7 years ago '05        #38
Garnet & Gold 42 heat pts42
space
space
$33,296 | Props total: 16 16
 aka ReeSe said:
Maybe it's just me, but I swear some DJs be having me hype when I'm listening to mixtapes.

n*ggas be rapping and say an average a.ss line and the DJ will be like "DAMN!!! Bring that s**t back!!!". Gunshots go off and they bring the verse back....that s**t be having me hype as f**k for some reason!

When I hear the no DJ version, its just not the same.
, there are some mixtapes I'd never be able to listen to No DJ, because the DJ actually adds to it, and I have the DJ's part memorized as well
 7 years ago '04        #39
TrueWest_1 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,937 | Props total: 198 198
The rewind s**t is so f**kin annoying. Can't believe anyone really likes that. Whoo Kid is one of the most annoying DJs ever.
 7 years ago '06        #40
NYC-Banga 107 heat pts107
space
space
$13,521 | Props total: 3463 3463
 TrueWest_1 said:
The rewind s**t is so f**kin annoying. Can't believe anyone really likes that. Whoo Kid is one of the most annoying DJs ever.
man stfu, nobody asked u s**t.
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
65 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
34 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
88 comments
1 day ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy