why do rappers use DJs on mixtapes?

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
129 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
50 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
32 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-13-2010, 11:08 AM         #1
10192 pageviews
43 comments

domo360206 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
why do rappers use DJs on mixtapes?

sounds like garbage. what do they need them for? all they do is scream. they can make the mixtape themselfs. i don't get it.

anybody know?

43 comments for "why do rappers use DJs on mixtapes?"

7 years ago '10        #2
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5678 5678
Dj's gotta get there name out...
 7 years ago '10        #3
nigga123 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,834 | Props total: 1487 1487
I fukin hate DJs on mixtapes.....(exept maybe whoo Kid) they are soooo annoying. I wish artists would just put tht s**t out there without all these DJs, it holds up the release of the mixtapes and makes it sound like s**t. Can't understand a fukin bar being spit due to DJ's saying their name over and over again..... f**k MIXTAPE DJS!!!!!! :angry14::angry14::angry14:
 08-13-2010, 11:15 AM         #4
domo360206  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JETSoverERTHING said:
Dj's gotta get there name out...
so its the djs that go to the artist?
 7 years ago '10        #5
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5678 5678
well im pretty sure it could go both ways, if the artist likes the beats, he is gonna reach out, if the dj likes the music the artist makes... the dj will reach out, ya feel me?
 7 years ago '05        #6
Swisher sweet 87 heat pts87
space
space
$15,792 | Props total: 2 2
I always thought of DJ's as hypemen

It gives the mixtape personality....most of the times it's annoying tho.
 7 years ago '04        #7
Krypt 3 heat pts
space
space
$8,315 | Props total: 234 234
having a DJ host your mixtape just means less people are gonna listen to it

In this internet era DJ's arent needed
 7 years ago '06        #8
"SS" 28 heat pts28
space
space
$10,239 | Props total: 4814 4814
i think its more tradition than anything

also i think when a certain artist teams up with a certain dj it makes it more official

like i trust this n*gga with my exclusives and these aint tracks that somebody downloaded

off the internet and put on a cd
 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM         #9
Rowe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Some DJs mix/master/produce?... 1 reason

Some DJs have huge followings with their mixtapes... 2 reasons

A lot of these DJs actually have radio shows & s**t... 3 reasons

Its cross promo, for example:

DJ Drama is widely known, wouldn't it be a good look for your tape to be hosted by him? His name alone will help your tape's chances of being heard if ur that wack, & vice versa. The DJ & artist can grab fans from each other.. not everyone thinks DJs are annoying like yall do, lol
 7 years ago '09        #10
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,205 | Props total: 19301 19301
i like dj on point i don't mind him
 7 years ago '05        #11
mj21 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$91 | Props total: 17 17
Listen Dj are critical to mixtapes. Without Dj's who is bring the mixtapes to the streets and radio stations. DJ's most of the time now are producing and they can bring a certain style (south, west, east or North) The King of DJ's of the south DRAMA and the gangsta grillz collections. He brought you some hot s**t.....lil wayne Dedication vol 1-III. Young Jeezy Trap or Die (classic). Fabolous There is not competition vol 1-II. So get your mind right and think before u make stupid threads. (p.s i do agree they are annoying lol)
 7 years ago '07        #12
N.O.4Life 45 heat pts45
space
space
$19,591 | Props total: 10548 10548
I like DJs on mixtapes.without them it sound a lil plain like the tape was leaked or something.I jus hate how them n*ggas be acting like they put in a whole lot of work.like when drama be poppin his s**t.I'm like what the f**k you do besides add ur drops and prolly put the tracks in order.
 08-13-2010, 12:01 PM         #13
domo360206  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i just think in this day and age djs are not needed for mixtapes with the internet.

look at kush and orange juice. it sounded like an album and had no djs screaming. and it had lots of promo and it did numbers. :cool-smiley-009:

1000 grams sounds like music i could make in my closit. very bad sound quality and the dj....
 7 years ago '04        #14
DoctorJ|m 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,967 | Props total: 210 210
From a fellow mobile DJ & mixtape DJ myself...it's simply the way of the game.

I'm not particular the type of DJ that yells over everything (and people don't come to me for that), but I'm more simply a host and I add skits & scratching, as well as sequence the mixtape properly.

As someone stated above...
1) DJs (who've been doing this for a long time) have alot more reach, fans, and shows/gigs to promote music at than most artists...so an artist coming to me only helps get his music to the masses more efficiently and faster.
2) Some DJs (like myself) have other skills [production, rapping, scratching, etc]...so artist coming to me often are able to get free guest spots, free collabos, and free (or cheap) production from me for the named mixtape.
3) As a DJ I have libraries of sound effects, tags, and can create cool little skits/themes throughout the mixtape that can make it sound more interesting and more cohesive.
4) Most of us DJs have more pull with radio stations, magazines, venues, and promoters...so an artist having a mixtape hosted/sponsored by me can give him a step-up into possibly getting his record broken and played at more important spots (than he would without me)
5) Some of us DJs know the legalities of music business ALOT better than young artists as well (especially artists with fake-ass managers with no business experience at all)...so if the artist comes to me with a "hit" I'm feeling & want to support; I often will explain to him the ACTUAL steps to take to get copywritten and legally played on air.
6) Also (for physical releases) alot of us DJs already have discounted/brokered deals with pressing companies...so like 1 thing I do is...ask the artist to do his research and get his quotes for pressing his mixtape...and then usually I'm able to broker him a price ALOT cheaper than any quote he can find (typically up to 33% cheaper).
7) As far as live gigs go...alot of artist don't know how to sequence a mixtape...like I've seen the trend of people putting their best stuff first and the tape gets progressive worse as it goes. When I host your mixtape, I sequence the music order in the way I would play/break it at a club gig...by matching tempos, bpms, melodies, and juggling tracks to never let the music end. I dislike alot of these "internet" mixtapes without a dj because it simply sounds like a download hit list with silence gaps between each song, and took no work/skill to put together.

Last edited by DoctorJ; 08-13-2010 at 12:41 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #15
SacTown|B 17 heat pts17
space
space
$16,827 | Props total: 2 2
who ever says DJs are not needed on mixtape's need to buy this

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '08        #16
Showtimegp 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,550 | Props total: 41 41
like i understand DJ got to show love by artist and s**t but damn some DJ just cant shut the f**k and the tags take the piss...i like that dj ill will dude cause he tags are funny and simple and he dont even talk...
 08-13-2010, 06:00 PM         #17
T Bonics  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
thats a good question... i always hated mixtapes where the DJ is yellin out "DRAMA KING EXLUSIVE" or "DJ SKEE EXCLUSIVE" never really understood that, always thought it wrecked the song.
 08-13-2010, 06:06 PM         #18
Lyriceater  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I can't enjoy a mixtape without hearing "gangsta grillz you bastards", "the evil genius", "DJ on point!", "whoooooooooooooooooooo kid" or some s**t like that. I need the DJ's to add that feeling that makes mixtapes special. In other words I love mixtape DJ's n/h
 7 years ago '10        #19
trill jackson 737 heat pts737
space
space
$18,811 | Props total: 13070 13070
djs need love too. let's not forget the dj came before the mc but the mc eventually dominated the shine. the mixtapes gave the dj exposure and a face. we wouldn't know who kid capri kay slay and dj clue were or what they looked like were it not for mixtapes. the mcs already got everything you wanna give them the mixtapes too? no the mixtapes belong to the dj and that's the way it should always be. my only complaint is mixtape dj's that just talk and play records. i f**k with cats that put their own creativity on it like dj juice doo wop dirty harry and tony touch
 7 years ago '06        #20
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
yeah dj shouts are annoying as f**k... people like dj khaled need to be shot.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
50 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
66 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Article inside ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Early Buzz: A Surprising, Funny and Jaw-Dr..
41 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
76 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Holy Camel T0e 19-year-old Model Sofia Richie In White Bikini
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Sony drops the price of PSVR bundles by $100 for the holidays
25 comments
1 day ago