The History of Madden - Great read

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
75 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
92 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
274 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #1
5633 pageviews
18 comments

Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
The History of Madden - Great read

[pic - click to view]

John Madden once told me that people now recognize him more for his video game than anything he ever did in coaching. Funny thing is, the whole "Madden" phenomenon of sports gaming almost never took place. In fact, John Madden passed on EA's initial concept of the game. So how did the franchise turn into a $3 billion dollar monster?

LONG read so i'll post the first paragraph up and you can read the rest on the site...

n the beginning, there was the word. And that word was no. On a cloudy morning in 1984, three men met in an Amtrak dining car winding through the Rocky Mountains, en route from Denver to Oakland, Calif. The first was Trip Hawkins, a closet "Strat-O-Matic Football" junkie and founder of video game maker Electronic Arts (which has a relationship with ESPN to integrate content into its games). The second was Joe Ybarra, Hawkins' lieutenant, a high school chess champ turned pigskin fanatic. The third was John Madden, the former Super Bowl-winning coach, hardware store pitchman, televised NFL evangelist and poet laureate of interior line play.
Boom! He'll remember that number!
Photo Gallery

See how "Madden NFL" has evolved through the years.

Then, as now, Madden had no use for airplanes. He was nearly as leery of computers. This was before Google, PlayStation or the Internet. People didn't carry credit card-thin smart phones in their pockets, and video games were quarter-eating diversions for nerdy boys. Madden was a football guy. Intelligent as hell, sure. Unafraid of the telestrator. Once taught an X's and O's class at Berkeley. Yet was totally unmoved by "Pac-Man fever." Honestly didn't know what the heck a PC did. Booming and boisterous, an alpha male to the core, Madden brandished a cigar throughout the meeting -- one nearly a foot long with the diameter of a quarter; a veritable kraken of Cohibas to be gazed upon with despair. A chew toy.

Spittle-splattered but unbowed, Hawkins made his pitch, the same one he previously had delivered in a fast-food parking lot outside Madden's Bay Area office: Help me build a game. Lend your expertise. I'll put your name on the box.

Madden was intrigued. Maybe, he thought, this could become a coaching tool. Pick a play, run it on a machine, see if it works. No need to scrimmage.

If it's not 11-on-11, it's not real football. That was a deal breaker. If it was going to be me, and going to be pro football, it had to have 22 guys on the screen. If we couldn't have that, we couldn't have a game.

-- JOHN MADDEN

He sketched formations on paper, lines branching in every direction -- little masterworks of unintentional abstract art that Hawkins would later frame.

The one-time Oakland Raiders coach talked philosophy: Where's my playing field? Below sea level and it rains a lot? Then give me Gene Upshaw. Put the defense on skis and push them all day long.

Hawkins listened. Ybarra took notes. The duo promised they would create as sophisticated a simulation as home computers would allow. Real football, with seven players to a side …

Right there, Madden balked -- even though he was technically under contract with EA to endorse a football game. "If it's not 11-on-11," he said, "it's not real football."

"That was a deal breaker," Madden recalled. "If it was going to be me and going to be pro football, it had to have 22 guys on the screen. If we couldn't have that, we couldn't have a game."

[pic - click to view]

ESPN - OTL: The Franchise - E-ticket

Last edited by Da Ill One; 08-05-2010 at 02:22 PM..

18 comments for "The History of Madden - Great read"

08-05-2010, 02:51 PM         #2
cheguevara 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
never been a madden fan but cool read :D
 7 years ago '04        #3
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602 OP
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 cheguevara said:
never been a madden fan but cool read :D
Yeah same here i'm not the biggest Madden fan but I thought this was a pretty good read...I didn't know some of the stuff that was said in the article...really makes you think
 7 years ago '05        #4
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,218 | Props total: 15780 15780
First madden I played was 93' on genesis...played them hard up until 97' fell back a little and came about around 2001 when it came out for PS2. I remember when 06' came out for 360 s**t was straight a.ss
 7 years ago '07        #5
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
I havent bought a Madden since '08 for some reason i just lost all interest in that game
 7 years ago '08        #6
fly_society_05 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,293 | Props total: 26 26
madden 10 & 11 cover art >>
 7 years ago '10        #7
chenderson12 43 heat pts43
space
space
$2,170 | Props total: 986 986
Madden 03 and 04 are my favs but 11 should shut it down
 7 years ago '06        #8
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
04 Vick in Madden = unstoppable...
 7 years ago '06        #9
O Nasty 96 heat pts96
space
space
$20,419 | Props total: 288 288
"Madden's" secret weapon? A man named Sandy Sandoval. Officially, Sandoval is the director of athlete relations for EA Sports; unofficially, he's the game's answer to World Wide Wes and Winston Wolf -- part fixer, part bon vivant, the guy who helped give the game its inimitable pro football cachet.

Need an in-game ratings boost, what Madden (the man) calls "more juice"? Call Sandoval, as quarterback Byron Leftwich once did. Jonesing for an advance copy of the game? Call Sandoval, as Carson Palmer, Chad Ochocinco and dozens of other players have done. Need to drop a few pounds, albeit digital ones? Consider it done. Last year, Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid asked Sandoval to slim down his in-game avatar, a little quid pro quo for introducing Sandoval to former "Madden" cover athlete Brett Favre

"I just saw Andy at the owners meetings," Sandoval said. "He comes up to me and is like, 'Sandy, thanks for hooking me up. I saw myself in the game. My wife loves it. She loves looking at me skinny!'"
 7 years ago '04        #10
youngsiz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,634 | Props total: 3163 3163
eagles 06 unstoppable
 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM         #11
freakbucket 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
definitely a good read and i'm only 1/8th of the way thru.
 7 years ago '10        #12
beast mode 25 heat pts25
space
space
$13,973 | Props total: 1798 1798
 niceguy954 said:
04 Vick in Madden = unstoppable...
hell yeah,so was the vikings with culpepper and moss you just couldn't stop the roll out then the pump fake, deep pass = touchdown every time
 7 years ago '04        #13
God_Manifested 19 heat pts19
space
space
$1,459 | Props total: 65 65
Been ridin since 96 on Super Nintendo I aint missed a year since. When they find and Im a old man I will probably have a PS50 controller in my hand with my headset on playing Madden 75. Probably die of a heart attack being so mad I lost.
 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM         #14
GhostDigga 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 M.C.daHUSTLA said:
Been ridin since 96 on Super Nintendo I aint missed a year since. When they find and Im a old man I will probably have a PS50 controller in my hand with my headset on playing Madden 75. Probably die of a heart attack being so mad I lost.
But you'll have spent 5 thousand dollars on just Madden by then.
 7 years ago '10        #15
murd410 31 heat pts31
space
space
$3,946 | Props total: 351 351
GOAT .. 04 was nice with Vick but if the defense was a Qb contain and you got hit fumble all day
 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM         #16
tj.iscool 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Last good madden was 2004 to me....Game was a hit & mess after 98
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
95 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
56 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
40 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy