good but long read on SRC records...

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
33 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
242 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-28-2010, 11:53 PM         #1
9116 pageviews
2 comments

goodbarz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good but long read on SRC records...

[pic - click to view]

www.Hot16sand1.com » Blog Archive » SRC-Same Tricks, New Songs, Is it still working?

SRC-Same Tricks, New Songs, Is it still working?
For years the music industry has been in a fickle state. Sales have been down, the breaking of an artist has been harder and harder, but one label has stayed on top. The great SRC, Streets Records Corporation. Steve Rifkind has been called a lot of things in the book, some of them we wouldn’t say around our mothers and other stuff like “genius” and “great”.

One thing that SRC is known for is an old industry trick, buy enough of an artists album/single to make it hit the top of the charts and people will follow suit and buy it. Everybody did it, from Russell to the master Jay-Z.

It was reported in 2009 all over the internet including the SRC wikipedia page that they bought over, 80,000 Itunes purchases of the Asher Roth single, “I Love College”. The song then hit the top 10 on Itunes and went on to sell over 180,000 copies. Some would say, a great move, SRC gets a percentage back from the 80k they bought, and then they sell another 100 thousand.

Yes, I would call that genius.

Now I have to admit, I was at some college bars last year and enjoyed hearing the I love College joint. It had a good beat and the girls loved singing the chorus. I really didn’t even know who Asher Roth was at the time.

As news broke that there was a “gay rapper” last december, I found out that it was the college rapper, Asher Roth. I have no idea if this kid is gay nor do I really care, but when I found out that they had pulled the little trick, I had to chuckle to myself.

So was Asher Roth even a college kid? I guess it didn’t matter, to the screaming fans, the girls, he was the college guy.

SRC then signed Justin Bieber. Yeah under Usher, Justin would come out under the same label. Now I don’t know about you, but I can’t stand this little f*cker, pardon the french, and I probably should just ignore him.

He became the newest trick for SRC to use, and he has a huge following, that I can’t knock. I guess I saw him, listened to half a song, and never went back in that direction again. I am hip hop, I don’t need to listen to teen pop nor do I need to blog about it.

My problem was with my hip hop heads. The college rapper, Asher Roth, came back with a mix tape, Seared something with Duck Sauce, or something, that was him boring people to death over old hip hop beats. He was ruining great beats, and I started to google him, and he was getting a lot of traction.

What in the hell? That is all I could think, I even ask around, did anybody really like Asher or did he just have the machine behind him? Most of the comments on his stuff said, “well he is getting better” all the way to the “this guy is terrible”. I had to agree with the latter.

So today, news hit my email that Asher Roth’s new single, G.R.I.N.D, was moving up the Itunes charts. Well haven’t we been here before? I knew the buzz was manufactured, because the song wasn’t on any torrent sites. It took me over 25 tries to get it on mediafire.com which is usually one click for me when I want a song. SRC was doing it again, and I have to ask my fellow hip hop heads, is that what hip hop has become?

Do you see a song on the top ten of Itunes and buy it, or do you want that raw, that real? Did hip hop fall into the Justin Bieber department? I really hope not. I know there is great music being made, and published on this site alone.

I do not have anything against Asher Roth, wish him the best, but maybe some people shouldn’t be MC’s. Not everybody can play in the NBA, you can’t just walk into Yankee stadium with a wad of money and say, “Hey Jeter, I’mma play shortstop today.”

So why is it accepted in hip hop?

2 comments for "good but long read on SRC records..."

07-29-2010, 12:00 AM         #2
Marvin Hagler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good read pimpin... thang is it don't affect me in any shape way or form because i never let hype or sales dictate whut i like. a n*gga like me will f**k wit the hype machine product Rick Ross & then turn around & f**k wit my n*ggas Cannibal Ox.

why? cause i listen to they s**t and like it period.
 07-29-2010, 12:30 AM         #3
goodbarz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
marvelous hagler, I agree, I didn't write this, I felt it had some valid points.

people are so easily influenced.....
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
108 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
23 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
45 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
56 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
147 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
112 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
341 comments
24 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy