Am I hurting myself by not drinking protein shakes after workouts?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
78 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
129 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-20-2010, 04:26 PM         #1
20437 pageviews
27 comments

PUA Lifestyle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Am I hurting myself by not drinking protein shakes after workouts?

Simple questions, I take multi vitamins in the morning, eat 4 meals a day now, workout 4-5 times a week, but I dont drink protein shakes or anything like that...I read the article about a lot of protein powders containing arsenic, lead, and mercury so I havent really messed around with them since. Will it negatively effect me by continuing not to do so?

27 comments for "Am I hurting myself by not drinking protein shakes after workouts?"

07-20-2010, 04:44 PM         #2
Sid 6point7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Just eat a chicken after you're done working out instead.

EDIT: I know some fools on here might take that literally, so for reference that was an alternative to protein shake joke.

Last edited by Sid 6point7; 07-20-2010 at 05:17 PM..
 7 years ago '08        #3
ManOfSteel23 28 heat pts28
space
space
$2,981 | Props total: 1 1
as long as you get protein ASAP post workout (within two hours), you are straight. The reason so many people use shakes is because the high amounts of protein in a quick gulp, its more efficient, but it doesn't matter if you get protein from a shake, lean meat, cheese or whatever, as long AS you get it, your straight.
 07-20-2010, 06:09 PM         #4
tech5c  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Protein shakes are not needed but protein after working out is needed. The amino acids in protein are what drives lean tissue growth.

Post workout might be the most important meal of the day. It replenishes all the nutrients lost during you work out. You want to be finished your meal with one hour after finishing your work out.

Last edited by tech5c; 07-20-2010 at 06:17 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #5
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
If you want, go for it. Post workout protein absorption time is debatable. The main reason people prefer "protein shakes" is that they are easy/quick/cheap.

The most overlooked thing about post-wo nutrition is properly replenishing glycogen stores.
 07-20-2010, 06:36 PM         #6
tech5c  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 enetblazin4eva said:
If you want, go for it. Post workout protein absorption time is debatable. The main reason people prefer "protein shakes" is that they are easy/quick/cheap.

The most overlooked thing about post-wo nutrition is properly replenishing glycogen stores.
Also along those lines.....

Drinking a post workout drink consisting of high GI carbs and fast acting proteins
is perhaps the best way to prevent the post workout effects of cortisol due to the
sharp rise in insulin which is known to counter act the effects of cortisol (Kraemer,
W.J., et al, 1998).

High GI foods can help refill liver and muscle glycogen stores immediately
following exercise and may reduce the catabolic effects of cortisol post
workout.

Protein shake with some white rice or a yam(lower GI, higher fiber) does the trick for me.
 7 years ago '07        #7
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4814 4814
ive been doin an experiment.i been workin out for 5 months now witout takin any powder or anything.im about 195 and strong as a bull but muscles aint really poppin out.so for tha next few months ima get on some powder an see what happens
 7 years ago '04        #8
space
space
 r.burgundy said:
ive been doin an experiment.i been workin out for 5 months now witout takin any powder or anything.im about 195 and strong as a bull but muscles aint really poppin out.so for tha next few months ima get on some powder an see what happens
 7 years ago '05        #9
rawchester 14 heat pts14
space
space
$5,391 | Props total: 4454 4454
 r.burgundy said:
^^^ I hear ya cuz, my homeboi be lifting hard as hell and he is strong as an ox, the problem is the n*ggas body just looks smooth as hell (think world strongest man competition). He does incorporate some cardio, but to the average person this n*gga literally look like he's training for one of them WSM competitions when he's actually not, he's trying to get cut.

But then again his caloric intake is probably much higher then his daily needs, he's one of them guys that think stength and mass is better than anything. (which I totally disagree with)

Last edited by rawchester; 07-20-2010 at 07:14 PM..
 7 years ago '04        #10
space
space
 rawchester said:
^^^ I hear ya cuz, my homeboi be lifting hard as hell and he is strong as an ox, the problem is the n*ggas body just looks smooth as hell (think world strongest man competition). He does incorporate some cardio, but to the average person this n*gga literally look like he's training for one of them WSM competitions when he's actually not, he's trying to get cut.

But then again his caloric intake is probably much higher then his daily needs, he's one of them guys that think stength and mass is better than anything. (which I totally disagree with)
 7 years ago '07        #11
Just1Spark 
space
space
$2,234 | Props total: 75 75
 rawchester said:

[pic - click to view]

07-20-2010, 11:26 PM         #12
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I put together two deli cut chicken sandwiches with a slice of cheese on each and had 3 eggs before I went to the gym. Then I had 3 pieces of steak for dinner lol.

Aside from steroids and creatine, is there anything thats going to help me with gains quicker or should I just accept that its not going to happen over night without some bulls**t I have to put into my body?
 7 years ago '10        #13
Jostre 
space
space
$1,359 | Props total: 1 1
^^

it all depends on what u want. do u want to get strong and built? if u dont take any type of protein after a workout esp. an intense one, you are hurting your body badly.

i knw you are trying to buld lean body mass so i would say protein is very essential. powder protein is very convenient, just get the right brand. you will only benefit from it.
 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM         #14
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jostre said:
^^

it all depends on what u want. do u want to get strong and built? if u dont take any type of protein after a workout esp. an intense one, you are hurting your body badly.

i knw you are trying to buld lean body mass so i would say protein is very essential. powder protein is very convenient, just get the right brand. you will only benefit from it.
Im going to have to look into something then, as long as it wont make me puke or I can mix in some nesquik to help the taste I should be fine.
 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM         #15
Illuminated  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 r.burgundy said:
You have to get that diet right for the muscles to be visible.
 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM         #16
tech5c  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PUA Lifestyle said:
I put together two deli cut chicken sandwiches with a slice of cheese on each and had 3 eggs before I went to the gym. Then I had 3 pieces of steak for dinner lol.

Aside from steroids and creatine, is there anything thats going to help me with gains quicker or should I just accept that its not going to happen over night without some bulls**t I have to put into my body?
Deli meats are a source of protein you should try to avoid. Is that what you ate all day?

There is no short cut except for hardwork and determination.
 07-21-2010, 05:05 PM         #17
PUA Lifestyle  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tech5c said:
Deli meats are a source of protein you should try to avoid. Is that what you ate all day?

There is no short cut except for hardwork and determination.
Why is that?

I go to the supermarket and have them cut a pound of chicken in slices for me so I can make cold cut sandwiches, sometimes turkey as well, figured it was a good approach to lunch.

I can already see results, I can feel them too, its great and now im even more motivated to gain more.
 7 years ago '04        #18
space
space
Deli meats are loaded with sodium and they add sugar. Also deli meats are more expensive compared to buying skinless/boneless chicken brea$t in bulk.
 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM         #19
tech5c  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 PUA Lifestyle said:
Why is that?

I go to the supermarket and have them cut a pound of chicken in slices for me so I can make cold cut sandwiches, sometimes turkey as well, figured it was a good approach to lunch.

I can already see results, I can feel them too, its great and now im even more motivated to gain more.
As long as you're not buying the processed luncheon meats. Just make sure you're having them cut up boneless/skinless chicken brea$ts.
 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM         #20
adam_balbaa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you dont "need" them, but they help, it is suggested that for maximum results you need to consume your body weight in protein, some say 1.2 your body, and other 1.5 your body weight. for maximum growth your body needs protein to rebuild the muscles, protein powder is just a great way of obtaining that neccessity without adding uneeded carbs and fat into your diet. i personally love it, take one after workouts and before i go to bed. But you can get away with just eating meats or soy based meals, just calculate how much you need and make sure your getting it daily.
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
166 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
89 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
225 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
187 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
134 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy