Spike Lee calls Miami signings "rigged, a pure Corleone gangster move"

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
62 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
243 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Akademiks bout that Twitch Irl life.
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '08        #1
5672 pageviews
62 comments

Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
Spike Lee calls Miami signings "rigged, a pure Corleone gangster move"

The shock of seeing LeBron James in a blinding white Heat jersey was still fresh, and Spike Lee was searching for the right words. Eventually, he decided to borrow some.

“We got hoodwinked. Led astray. Hornswoggled,” said Lee, the award-winning director, punctuating his delivery with a playful chuckle. “We got bamboozled.”

Those were Malcolm X’s words, and Lee knew them well because he wrote them into the script for his 1992 biopic on the civil-rights leader. In the film, Denzel Washington memorably intones the phrases in the climax of a speech in Harlem.

They felt oddly applicable last week, after James spurned five suitors, including Lee’s hometown Knicks, to play in Miami. Lee badly wanted James in New York but said he was fine with the decision. It was the process that bothered him.

“It was rigged,” Lee said, now summoning inspiration from Oliver Stone.

As with any great conspiracy theory, the backstory is key. James is close friends with Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade, who committed to the Heat on Wednesday, a day before James did. All were drafted in 2003. They spent their summers bonding as members of the United States Olympic team. And in 2006, all three opted for short contract extensions that would make them free agents together in 2010.

On July 1, they were the most coveted players on the market. James met with the Knicks, the Nets, the Heat, the Chicago Bulls, the Los Angeles Clippers and his own team, the Cleveland Cavaliers. Wade and Bosh were wooed by the Bulls, the Knicks, the Nets and the Heat. Wade spoke twice with Chicago, his hometown team.

The race seemed wide open.

When the veteran N.B.A. reporter Stephen A. Smith a.sserted two weeks ago that James, Wade and Bosh would unite in Miami, his report was widely dismissed as conjecture or fantasy. On Friday, the trio was dancing on a stage in Miami.

Of course, looking back, there were those reports of a “free-agent summit” involving the three stars. There was the photograph, posted to Bosh’s Twitter account July 1, showing Bosh and Wade at dinner, with the caption, “It feels like someone is missing…”

“This is nothing but a pure Corleone gangster move,” Lee said, now borrowing from Francis Ford Coppola. “It was laid out. This didn’t happen by happenstance.” He added, “They made people look like idiots. They had the thing planned out two years ago.”

If the Brooklyn-born Lee sounds betrayed, it is because he was more than a bystander in this saga. The Knicks sought out his a.ssistance on their free-agent presentations. He attended their planning meetings. He was in the room with team officials on the day that Amar’e Stoudemire agreed in principle.

There were rumblings in Cleveland that the Knicks blew their presentation to James. Hogwash, said Lee (who used a stronger term).

“I was there for all the run-throughs here in New York,” he said. “It was on point.”

As for those rumblings? “Pure sabotage.”

Instead of James, the Knicks got Stoudemire, an elite power forward who qualifies as more than a consolation prize. Lee was beaming at Stoudemire’s introductory press conference — “I’m energized” — and he claimed no bitterness over James joining a hated rival.

“The man did not want to come, so how can you be disappointed?” Lee said, adding, “He wanted to be in Miami with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. These guys get in front of Pat Riley, and he shows them those rings and they lose their mind. Pat Riley gets people in his spell, and it’s, ‘Whatever you want to do, Coach.’”

(A reference to Svengali, perhaps?)

It leaves Knicks fans in a familiar position: rooting against the game’s greatest players. Lee spent the 1990s barking at Michael Jordan and baiting Reggie Miller and savoring every victory over them. Lee’s fondest wish now is to deny James any shot at the title.

“He’s a self-appointed king,” he said. “We’re not bowing down. Uh-uh. Not bowing. I don’t care who they got.”

If nothing else, this historic, often-gaudy, occasionally bizarre free-agent season should make for a fantastic screenplay.

“Cahoots,” Lee said. “That’s your title.”

[pic - click to view]

Spike Lee Smells a Conspiracy - Off the Dribble Blog - NYTimes.com

[pic - click to view]

image everybody feelin stupid as hell now

62 comments for "Spike Lee calls Miami signings "rigged, a pure Corleone gangster move""

7 years ago '04        #2
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
They had this planned since the Olympics.
 7 years ago '09        #3
WiLL 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,927 | Props total: 192 192
 P. Dedos said:
first

new york lost
 7 years ago '07        #4
Supercoolbert 122 heat pts122
space
space
$7,196 | Props total: 1285 1285
NY lost.

and keeps losing by still crying about this....
 07-11-2010, 06:04 PM         #5
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Clint Eastwood said:
Spike Lee Should 'Shut His Face'
 7 years ago '06        #6
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
lmao this racist clown Spike Lee lookin like a bitter lil b**ch

I'm laugh at him right now

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '07        #7
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$17,725 | Props total: 4479 4479
 hockeythug said:
They had this planned since the Olympics.

I believe you are right my friend!
 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM         #8
cheguevara 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
POOR NY, THEM n*ggaS STILL HURT
 7 years ago '06        #9
Blah 17 heat pts17
space
space
$25,527 | Props total: 6753 6753
didnt kno Spike Lee represented the whole New York
yea yea knicks lost ..

yet theres only one champion and thats the Lakers
every other team LOST aswell clowns
 7 years ago '07        #10
Bruce Leeroy 
space
space
$16,662 | Props total: 813 813
I bet his goofy a.ss would've made a movie about the prince if he joined the knicks. He's salty
 07-11-2010, 06:23 PM         #11
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he never played for the ny s**ts so what is he talkin bout

and of course ny lost
 7 years ago '06        #12
banga 8 heat pts
space
space
$31,372 | Props total: 5645 5645
It's kinda obvious they set this up by the way they signed their extensions a few years back. I remember when there was a report about one of them telling carmello to not sign his extension for as long as he did.
 7 years ago '04        #13
KURUPTION!!! 541 heat pts541
space
space
$34,595 | Props total: 1014 1014
He's right though, anyone who thinks LBJ was resigning with the Cavs is a damn fool. I'm sure he wanted to see if anyone else was going to do anything major, but he knew he planned to respectfully step down as a leader as soon as game six was over. Spike isn't mad though, If anyone heard the audio he basically said that.
 7 years ago '06        #14
ThaShark316 86 heat pts86
space
space
$12,998 | Props total: 53 53
If only NY wasn't the mecca of "one f**k up, you're dead", when it comes to the media....All 3 are in NY right now and knick fans everywhere are celebrating.
 07-11-2010, 06:49 PM         #15
Marvin Hagler 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 beantown said:
lmao this racist clown Spike Lee lookin like a bitter lil b**ch

I'm laugh at him right now

how the f**k is spike lee a racist bruh?
 7 years ago '05        #16
sleezy 
space
space
$5,346 | Props total: 1147 1147
why the hell spike so mad, damn kinicks stay hating on heat since riley faxed his resignation and caught the next flight to miami..but oh well spike keep screaming next yr.......

oh yeah NY lost..too much of dem damn f**kers down here
 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM         #17
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
[QUOTE=WiLL i Am;16417656]this

and this article is old, so n*ggas needa stop acting like we completely flopped in free agency./QUOTE]

old....really smh....free agency just started
 7 years ago '04        #18
iMaGrOWNassMAN! 
space
space
$3,543 | Props total: 0 0
Its sad seeing so many people taking this sh*t to heart man.
 7 years ago '05        #19
Angry_Black_757 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,664 | Props total: 0 0
he mad
 7 years ago '09        #20
newmoney909 
space
space
$146 | Props total: 0 0
chris bosh is one of the ugliest n*ggas i have ever seen dude look like a raptor for real.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy