Sports Illustrated: 'Bron Took The Easy Way Out

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
234 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
248 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
58 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-09-2010, 12:15 AM         #1
7296 pageviews
140 comments

evici1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sports Illustrated: 'Bron Took The Easy Way Out

[pic - click to view]

Michael Jordan announced on national television leaving Chicago to join the Detroit Pistons. Jordan said it was tough to bolt Chicago, where he was the most popular athlete in many years, because he thinks he has a better chance to win a championship if he plays with Pistons star Isiah Thomas. Jordan said by playing together, he and Thomas "won't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night."

That would have sounded absurd, right? Well, it is no more absurd than what LeBron James is doing. Jordan was 27 years old in 1990, slightly older than James is now. He had never been to the NBA Finals. He had been beaten up by the Celtics and Pistons for years. He doubted his supporting cast was good enough.

But he never doubted himself.

And it became very clear Thursday night that LeBron James does doubt himself. James will be a champion in Miami -- if not next year, then sometime after that. If you put James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together and give Pat Riley five years to find the complementary pieces, that team will win a championship.

But James does not have the heart of a champion. He does not have the competitive fire of Jordan, the bull-headed determination of Kobe Bryant, the quiet self-confidence of Tim Duncan, the willful defiance of Isiah or the winning-is-everything hunger of Magic Johnson.

He is an extremely gifted player who wants the easy way out.

And how do we know this?

James said so himself.

Oh, not in so many words. But once ESPN was done ESPN-izing its LeBron coverage -- filling it with babbling experts, needless hype and Jim Gray submitting his top six entries in the Stupidest Question Ever contest -- the self-proclaimed King said everything you need to know about him.

1. "You have to do what's best for you, and what's going to make you happy."

This is what's going to make him happy? Sharing a stage with two other stars? Really?

I guess that's all LeBron is: A complementary player with superstar talent. We should have figured this out before: He got that giant CHOSEN 1 tattoo on his back and calls himself King James because he is desperate for reassurance.

There is no greater challenge in sports getting drafted by a godawful team, planting your flag in a city and working like crazy until you have turned that team into a champion.

LeBron James didn't want the challenge. He wanted to play with his buddies.

2. "We don't have the pressure of going out and scoring 30 every night or shooting a high percentage."

Whoa. Hold on there. Scoring 30 a night is too much pressure for one of the five most talented players ever?

Find me another all-time NBA great who would utter those words. Jordan would rather do an adidas commercial than say that. Bryant must have laughed as he heard the so-called "King" say that. Larry Bird? The next time he complains about pressure will be the first. Magic was the greatest team player of the last 40 years, but he was also so competitive that he wanted to play Jordan one-on-one in a promotional event -- and this was when Magic had won titles and Jordan had not, so Magic had more to lose.

3. "I know how loyal I am."

The man just dumped his hometown(s) on national television. Cleveland (and, by extension, Akron) happens to be the most tortured sports city in America. To do that, then say "I know how loyal I am" ... wow, wow, wow.

I wish I could sit in on one of LeBron's meetings with his advisers. Does he make them all wear mirrored sunglasses, so that when he looks at them he sees himself?

We really don't ask that much of our sports stars. Try not to get arrested for anything big. Don't curse at the fans. You know, small stuff. We even understand that 95 percent of the time, they will make career decisions based on money -- we might not love it, but we understand it.

But see, the biggest thing that we ask of our sports stars is this: Take the competition as seriously as we do.

When LeBron James loses to Boston in the playoffs, we want him to take the heat, not take the Heat's offer. We want him to spend the summer adding to his game, calling and texting his teammates, plotting to do better next season.

Instead, well ...

4. "It's about joining forces with the other two guys."

He sounds like a nine-year-old playing Star Wars games with his buddies at a sleepover. And again: I do believe this Miami team will win a title. But it won't be as easy as he wants it to be. Miami will have the weakest bench of any contender next season After that, the NBA will have a lockout, and the league could eliminate the mid-level exception, which would be Miami's best tool for adding talent.

So this is a cop-out, but it's not as easy of a cop-out as it appears. And that brings us to ...

5. "This is the greatest challenge for me."

LeBron James just jumped into an elevator and wants us to think he can fly. Sorry, but we know better. We know that he did something Michael, Magic, Bird and Bill Russell never would have done. We know he ditched Cleveland for an All-Star team.

But you know what? In Miami, anything short of a title will be a failure. Nobody outside of Miami will root for this team, and nobody in Miami roots for anybody. They're too busy enjoying the weather.

I thought he would stay in Cleveland, because I thought all he cared about was adoration. I was wrong about Cleveland, but he is wrong about adoration. He thinks he'll get it by winning a title. He has insulated himself from the world, surrounded himself with yes men. He has no idea how much backlash he is about to get.

That's one of the great ironies of this -- James is trying to flee pressure, but he will just face more of it. He is trying to maximize his "brand," but he just damaged it.

The first time I watched LeBron James live, I thought he could be the greatest player ever. The sad truth for us, for him, and for the NBA is that he never really believed it himself.

[pic - click to view]

LeBron Jamesztook the easy way out in choosing star-studded Heat - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

140 comments for "Sports Illustrated: 'Bron Took The Easy Way Out"

7 years ago '09        #2
A2P89 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,488 | Props total: 54 54
dan gilbert, is that you?
 7 years ago '09        #3
stxbreed 
space
space
$2,433 | Props total: 214 214
already
 7 years ago '05        #4
MadGam325 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,218 | Props total: 2 2

Powerful post. Will read again.
 7 years ago '07        #5
Bkjj11 3548 heat pts3548
space
space
$92,504 | Props total: 70010 70010
lovely article

Lebron doesnt even deserve to wear #23 anymore, he is not Michael Jordan nor will be mentioned in the same breath.
 7 years ago '04        #6
nwo504 31 heat pts31
space
space
$13,043 | Props total: 6779 6779
the easy way out is still a way out
 7 years ago '09        #7
Lupe Hunter 77 heat pts77
space
space
$15,518 | Props total: 5708 5708
n*ggas are sad

[pic - click to view]

07-09-2010, 12:42 AM         #8
Cheeze  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
who gives a f**k

team is spelled MIAMI HEAT not LeBron

get mad

:cool-smiley-009:
 7 years ago '05        #9
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
man ppl need to shut that loyalt bs up rite now. WHEN WE LIVE IN A WORLD WHERE EVERYONE LOOKS OUT FOR THEMSELF. LIKE LETS BE HONEST IF THE SHOE WAS ON THE OTHER FOOT AND THEY CUT LBJ

AFTER HE WAS THERE FOR YEARS AND NEVER WON A RING. YOU REALLY THING THEY WOULD BE LIKE

OH WERE GONNA BE LOYAL AND KEEP U ON THE ROSTER. BS WHEN THEY THINK YOUR DONE THEY CUT U THEY GET RID OF U. BUT BECAUSE HE CHOOSE TO GO YALL WANNA TALK ABOUT LOAYALT ARE U SERIOUS.

AND PPL HAVE THE NERVE TO CALL DAN GILBERT A HERO?? ARE U SERIOUS f**k OUTTA HERE
 7 years ago '07        #10
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,842 | Props total: 4823 4823
article musta been written by dan gilbert

kobe bryant has played on some of tha best teams eva put 2gether

bynum
gasol
odom
artest
bryant

jordan played wit 1 of tha best rebounders(rodman),3 point(kerr),an defenders(pippen) eva.

lebrons best teammate so far has been antwan friggin jamison lol

an what that article fogot to mention is jordan hated isiah and isiah hated bird,so tha chances of them teamin up were slim to none

gimme a break

Last edited by r.burgundy; 07-09-2010 at 12:49 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #11
Mannish-Yay 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,193 | Props total: 2474 2474
Damn this was written so real even calling out ESPN Lebron team.
 7 years ago '07        #12
Cartel-Clipz 28 heat pts28
space
space
$29,383 | Props total: 21478 21478
 Lupe Hunter said:
n*ggas are sad

[pic - click to view]

basically. All Lakers stans too.

NO 3 PEAT!
 7 years ago '04        #13
haff3131 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,111 | Props total: 10 10
 r.burgundy said:

bynum
gasol
odom
artest
bryant

jordan played wit 1 of tha best rebounders(rodman),3 point(kerr),an defenders(pippen) eva.

an what that article fogot to mention is jordan hated isiah and isiah hated bird,so tha chances of them teamin up were slim to none

gimme a break

not 1 of the players kobe plays with right now would ever ever ever be confused with a guy who would be able to carry a team by himself. he is surrounded by GREAT role players. gasol is growing into a beast but i dont recall him being considered this good in memphis. kobes made it easier for him to play,and vice versa. lebron james just teamed with 2 guys who would normally be considered centerpieces for a good team in the nba. theres a pretty big difference there. if nothing else, at least i wont have to listen to the "whos better, kobe or lebron" bs all year. thankfully lebron answered that question for us..
 7 years ago '04        #14
CA$H MONEY 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,923 | Props total: 3 3
:agreement6: What you all fail to realize is this.......As an Ohioan(dayton..bout 3 1/2 hrs from Cleveland) I know how those folks up that way feel....They stuck by his side through all of the times he's needed them. Ohio is the reason he's considered by some "the king".....Ohio always has and will always be one of those "worship a homegrown star" states. When he was in high school, people from that area as well as the whole state pumped him up harder than a lil bit....The anger comes from the fact that the one time this state needed him, he bolted...Ohio has lost a lot of stuff recently. The one bit of solace that was felt was in the fact that we still had "the king"......He indeed did take the easy road.....Simple as that....Sad to say but thats what this generation is built on....taking the easy road.....SMH...:disdain2:
 7 years ago '07        #15
Bkjj11 3548 heat pts3548
space
space
$92,504 | Props total: 70010 70010
 r.burgundy said:

bynum
gasol
odom
artest
bryant

gimme a break
carlos boozer?

Lebron wanted Antwan, lebron wanted Larry Hughes, Lebron wanted Mo Willams and Michael Redd (didnt get redd thank god)

Lebron had Drew Gooden, One of the best centers in the game (Big Z).

Lebron had great role players and allstars.

he failed to lead his team. Kobe leads HIS TEAM. MJ LED his team. Duncan led his team. Lebron has failed to LEAD his team, as u can see against the celtics and against Orlando past 2 years.

No excuse lebron needs allstar help. If it takes bosh n wade, fine, it just shows the better of the legacy of the likes of MJ and Kobe, where shooting guard stars can lead their teams to the ship Lebron couldnt do it for 7 years. Prove me otherwise, cuz i see no ring on dude finger.
 7 years ago '04        #16
nitetrain8601 22 heat pts22
space
space
$15,100 | Props total: 4110 4110
SI just exposed him as a b**ch.
 07-09-2010, 01:12 AM         #17
evici1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 nitetrain8601 said:
SI just exposed him as a b**ch.
Big Time!
 7 years ago '04        #18
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,431 | Props total: 6463 6463
 Bkjj11 said:
carlos boozer?

Lebron wanted Antwan, lebron wanted Larry Hughes, Lebron wanted Mo Willams and Michael Redd (didnt get redd thank god)

Lebron had Drew Gooden, One of the best centers in the game (Big Z).

Lebron had great role players and allstars.

he failed to lead his team. Kobe leads HIS TEAM. MJ LED his team. Duncan led his team. Lebron has failed to LEAD his team, as u can see against the celtics and against Orlando past 2 years.

No excuse lebron needs allstar help. If it takes bosh n wade, fine, it just shows the better of the legacy of the likes of MJ and Kobe, where shooting guard stars can lead their teams to the ship Lebron couldnt do it for 7 years. Prove me otherwise, cuz i see no ring on dude finger.
boozer didnt get real good til he got to utah. he only played his rookie season with him i think.

drew gooden

mo williams was a bust in the playoffs.

antwan came up short too playoff time. which was a backup plan when amere deal fell through for not trading hickson

larry hughes hated lebron for being the main guy and never wanted to step back

big z was good the year they went to the finals and fell off hard. which surprise me that he got good since he had bad ankles since day one

that team was only built for the regular season when the playoffs came along it just crumble
 7 years ago '09        #19
CutKidd21 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,134 | Props total: 170 170
Man I wish they would shut the sh*t up! Lebron isn't winning sh*t in Cleveland. He was there for 7 years man.. what you want him to waste his whole career in Cleveland bc those pathetic fans have nothing better to do than worship a basketball player. GTFOH!! Pathetic!

Roll with the winners or cry with the losers.
 07-09-2010, 01:26 AM         #20
Yellob0y  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
28 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
35 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy