Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8...

most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
109 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
59 comments
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
13 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
57 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #121
Jersey732 6 heat pts
space
space
$4,624 | Props total: 400 400
i listened to the album a few times and just cant get into eminem
not sure what it is but i was never a fan of him
 06-20-2010, 03:20 PM         #122
Apostrophe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Bulls**t score. I gave it an 7.8 outta 10. My video review will be up on couchcampus.com on tues and will be a hell of a lot more accurate than this nonsense.
 06-20-2010, 03:21 PM         #123
KCK  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I disagree with this review, vehemently. With that said, here are my thoughts on the "Recovery":

First, to cover the flaws: like all of Eminem's albums, it's too long. 80 minutes is too long for most any album, and definitely those in the rap genre. And all of Em's albums suffer from this same trait... I'll give it to you if he really had a WHOLE lot to say, but Em hasn't really had a whole lot to say since The Eminem Show, and even then it was pretty much one or two themes throughout the duration of the albums. A couple of tracks could have been cut and it would have made a tighter listen from beginning to end: "So Bad" is a decent song with a solid Dre beat, but thematically it doesn't belong on this album, and it definitely does not belong on the album where it was sequenced. "On Fire" is dope enough, but it seems like a throwaway from directly after the "Relapse" sessions when he was getting it all back together (ironically, this is exactly when it was recorded). "W.T.P." sounds like it was recorded during the "Encore" sessions, which is to say that despite some funny one-liners ("I don't need a tanktop to be a wifebeater") it's not a very good song at all. And it sticks out like a sore thumb when compared to the quality of the rest of the disc.

Secondly, Em's singing is rather putrid throughout, most noticeably on the track where it shouldn't have been, "You're Never Over." On "Hailie's Song," Em's crappy singing was passable because he admitted first-hand that he can't sing worth a s**t, and also because it was, more or less, a lullaby for his daughter.

With those complaints aside, I think that "Recovery" is easily his best work since 2002, and maybe his second best album after "The Eminem Show." I will agree with Pitchfork's a.ssessment that "Relapse" felt like a lazy, pale imitation of "The Slim Shady LP." It had the lyrics, but none of the fire - it felt like a confused artist, trying to guess what his audience wanted, rather than just doing him. "Encore" was obviously the work of a tired, bored artist whose artistic well had ran dry. "Cold Wind Blows" is the closest to The Real Slim Shady (excuse the lame pun) that Em has come since "The Marshall Mathers LP." When he decides to get serious and avoids the corn ("Not Afraid"), he has produced some of the best songs of his career ("Talking To Myself," "Going Through Changes," "25 To Life," "Love The Way You Lie"). He has perfected the "swag" song, which is traditionally not something that Em has done ("Seduction.") And the battle rap tracks produce some of Em's most fired-up, emotionally charged verses of his career ("No Love," "Cinderella Man," "Almost Famous") Even the songs that swing dangerously close to complete cheese ("Space Bound," "Not Afraid") are saved by a sense of good intentions, fantastic delivery, and epic production/hooks.

The Pitchfork review was also correct in noting that although Em has chosen to work with a new palate of producers, the sound is essentially the same - it seems as if the producers have given Em the most Em-sounding work of their respective careers (aside from maybe DJ Khalil and his rock-influenced beats). For example, Just Blaze's work on "Cold Wind Blows" sounds almost identical to any number of recent Dr. Dre productions. But that's all okay - opposed to HHS's opinions, I feel that Em slips into these beats like a glove and doesn't sound uncomfortable at all.

Finally, I'll come to this: people listen to (and make thread after thread on hip-hop message boards about) Eminem for two reasons, love him or hate him: he's one of, if not THE most, openly confessional rappers in the game today and his technical skill. This album features both of these traits in spades: rarely have we heard Em so dead-serious and open about his failures, faults, and attempts at redemption. And the rapping... WOW. The rapping... the thing that separates Em from his other peers and saved him from being just a shock-jock write-off at the beginning of his career. He sounds like he is truly trying to make up for lost time with this album. On "Recovery" he piles syllables on top of syllables like his life depends on it. He delivers these raps with breakneck precision; the things that he has always perfected in his best work (alliteration, iambic pentameter, slant rhyming, multi-syllabic word juggling) he somewhat reinvents in a new style here. He sounds more alive than he has in years, and I, for one, am glad to have him back at the top of his Monopoly board.

The best thing about "Recovery" is that it is the sound of one the best, and interesting, artists of our times (in ANY genre) finding his voice again, brand new. He sounds alive, reinvigorated, and interested in rap, which is something that could NOT be said about his work over the past five or so years (despite the technical proficiency of the rhyming on "Relapse.") It is a promising album, not just in what it delivers to the listener, but for what it promises from future releases. Hopefully, he was telling the truth when he told the fans in "Not Afraid" that he is not letting them down again.

Sorry for the long rant, but I've been browsing so many reviews, positive and negative, and I thought I'd drop in with my ten cents (or ten dollars).

Last edited by KCK; 06-20-2010 at 03:30 PM..
 7 years ago '09        #124
ImageOfTruth 
space
space
$3,053 | Props total: 16 16
It sounds like he wrote the whole review based on "Won't Back Down", lol.

Other than that, it was a terrible review.
 7 years ago '05        #125
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
The thing about reviews. Its one well spoken/written persons review.

ONE person.

Odds are, Em f**ked "jayson greenes" mom, sister, wife and aunt on his bed while skeeting all over his pillows and the dude is just bitter about it.
 7 years ago '08        #126
The N 467 heat pts467
space
space
$45,570 | Props total: 17220 17220
Score was out of 3??
 7 years ago '08        #127
The N 467 heat pts467
space
space
$45,570 | Props total: 17220 17220
 Str8 outta Cuse said:
The thing about reviews. Its one well spoken/written persons review.

ONE person.

Odds are, Em f**ked "jayson greenes" mom, sister, wife and aunt on his bed while skeeting all over his pillows and the dude is just bitter about it.

I got a feeling he liked Slim Shady not Eminem, he wanted to hear more umbrellas in the pus*y and murdering mothers type songs, not the whole "Hey I am back, you can do it to follow me" stuff Recovery is all about.

Last edited by The N; 06-20-2010 at 03:58 PM..
 7 years ago '05        #128
space
space
In reality, I live in a college town momentarily, and these are the places that buy up Em's music like theres no tommorow, and I can tell you that last year after Relapse came out, NO ONE was talking about that s**t, I didn't even hear one car playing it.

Now Recovery, the s**t has leaked for a little over a week and every day i hear about 10 cars driving by with different songs playing from the album.

The response Recovery has gotten so far in the REAL WORLD has been similar to Em's older albums in that everyone and their grandma is listening to it.

Even if i thought that Recovery was trash, I can't argue with the a large MAJORITY of the people that listen to hip hop, the s**t is a 100% Gold Standard success no matter what it sells or what any reviews say.

I haven't heard an album get this much play on my campus (I'm not at syracuse university, cuse is just the city i've lived in my whole life) since prolly. . .well NEVER.

Em won.
 7 years ago '05        #129
space
space
 The N said:
I got a feeling he liked Slim Shady not Eminem, he wanted to hear more umbrellas in the pus*y and murdering mothers type songs, not the whole "Hey I am back, you can do it to follow me" stuff Recovery is all about.
Yeah, it was very obvious that this was NOT an objective review of the album whatsoever. He put his own personal preferences of music, and not only music but seemingly people's personal lives into his review.

Very professional "Jayson Greene".
 7 years ago '09        #130
ShadyVsEminem 244 heat pts244
space
space
$21,714 | Props total: 6210 6210
He is never gonna please everyone especially the people that dont wanna be pleased,but the majority like Recovery where as the same could not be said about his last 2 albums.

Anyone who hates it could find a bad review and say its on point whereas someone who likes the album could find a good review and say its on point,all in all its pointless posting them

[video - click to view]

this lad is a donut,threadstarter probably agrees with him though

Last edited by ShadyVsEminem; 06-20-2010 at 04:08 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #131
Dotel 30 heat pts30
space
space
$5,891 | Props total: 1319 1319
Eminem is just as outdated as bleached blonde hair.
 06-20-2010, 04:16 PM         #132
nigelc8992  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eminem is garbage

anyone named "ShadyVsEminem" is obviously a bias stan, and prolly a suspect individual at that. take their opinion with a handful of salt

Eminem died after SSLP
 7 years ago '07        #133
Dotel 30 heat pts30
space
space
$5,891 | Props total: 1319 1319
 nigelc8992 said:
Eminem is garbage

anyone named "ShadyVsEminem" is obviously a bias stan, and prolly a suspect individual at that. take their opinion with a handful of salt

Eminem died after SSLP
This. Eminem fans have replaced Nelly fans even though half of Nelly fans were also Eminem fans.
 7 years ago '08        #134
bigshock 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,143 | Props total: 0 0
I like how he mentions on "talikn 2 myself" hiw Em says he would have gotten his a.ss handed to him like to say he isn't in the same class a.ss them and not keeping the song in prospective and acknowledging that he meant how he was angry at his whole situation and wasn't in the right mind frame. Then he piggy backs that statement and says how him and wanye don't belong on the same track together like wanye out classed him or something. GTFO.

Someone snatch the keyboard from this guy. Where the hell is Kanye.

7 years ago '08        #135
hollaballooza 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,271 | Props total: 450 450
 nigelc8992 said:
Eminem is garbage

Eminem died after SSLP
your credibility died after your first post on this site
 06-20-2010, 05:05 PM         #136
lyonsm316  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
All these kids saying Eminem is garbage is real funny considering their favourite rapper disagrees with them, making their opinion null and void!
 06-20-2010, 05:15 PM         #137
nigelc8992  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
All these kids saying Eminem is garbage is real funny considering their favourite rapper disagrees with them, making their opinion null and void!
This is garbage as well, who is your favorite rapper? I've heard tons of rappers give SSLP, and even to an extent MMLP, but it's only fake industry n***as talking up TES/Encore/Relapse/Recovery.

You kids who suck the d*ck of whatever artist the industry throw at you are garbage. no critical thinking skills.

Not to mention Eminem bit his whole style he got famous off of from Cage and R.A. the Rugged Man ...... ignorant kids who don't know their history.
 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM         #138
Shang Tsung  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ShadyVsEminem said:

this lad is a donut,threadstarter probably agrees with him though
when this n*gga went into juggalo mode =
 06-20-2010, 05:25 PM         #139
Steveo54  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the people hating on this album must just be folks who only like hot beats and choruses....thats really the only place this album is lacking, the choruses for the most part are pretty bad.

I dont see how anyone can say that the verses are not unbelievably good.
 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM         #140
nigelc8992  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the people hating on this album must just be folks who only like hot beats and choruses....thats really the only place this album is lacking, the choruses for the most part are pretty bad.

I dont see how anyone can say that the verses are not unbelievably good.
Some of us are actually interested in real lyricism with real meaning behind it, not a 40 year old corny dude rhymin b*tchin about his life over whack production, with sh*tty empty similes and a stiff flow
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
14 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
38 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
99 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
116 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
161 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
50 Cent screenshots Holyfathersteve’s thread
227 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ayo Cardi B sister tho.....!!!
66 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
49 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy