Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8...

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
93 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
92 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
119 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
282 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #81
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,789 | Props total: 14596 14596
 AK1 said:
2.8/10? damn thats a little harsh to be honest, and i hate the album

there's only like 4-5 good songs, imo.
so at least a 3.5-4 would be right on
Damn it was outta 10 .
 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM         #82
hody08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"You said you was king, you lied through your teeth, so for that f**k your feelings (fillings), instead of getting crowned you're getting capped."

^HARD
 7 years ago '04        #83
T_Buck 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,916 | Props total: 0 0
Encore - 6.5/10
Relapse - 4.8/10
Recovery - 2.8/10

Seriously? Encore and Relapse both s**t on Recovery? Lol.
 06-18-2010, 03:24 PM         #84
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 knives said:
why are you trying so hard to make this review seem on spot? It's an opinion, but a s**tty one at that. Pitch fork fell off with their hip hop reviews. They seem extremely biased now, no matter how articulate they get their point across. they gave a lot of quality albums mediocore to bad reviews. the consensus so far is that this album is on par with some of his best. To give it a 2.8 is f**king laughable. They gave encore, possibly his worst album a 6.5. This should tell you something. Are you going to tell me that Encore was a better album than this? People shouldn't look at pitchfork for reviews anymore. they have seriously fallen off. I think they do this to come off as different and edgy, and it gets somewhat of a Buzz when a big time artist gets such a bad review. Cuz now they have you spreading it and it gets people talking.

People who enjoyed the album shouldn't let a few reviews take away their enjoyment from it

Just to add

This album has the same feel as TES, just with more complexity in rhyme scheme. It can be corny to,i'll admit but it doesn't dimish anything overall. How can they give that a 9.1 and this a 2.8 when they're similar in almost every regard? I can always respect an opinion, even when they say the album is wack. But when a review from a critic sounds like it was done from someone at boxden, s**t can't be taken seriously.

trying hard to make the review seem spot on?....i'm discussing my opinion with others in here on the merits of the review,and the album...i'm not just coming in saying "f**k pitch fork,they're biased,because they gave this other album a bad review"....98 percent of you in here haven't taken the time to even discuss the criticism...you're so focused on the number "2.8" it's like it hurt your feelings,or something....i specifically put in the premise of this thread that "i don't even care about the score,it's moreso about what's being said in the review"..

and this album is far worse than the eminem show to me....the eminem show was executed better,had a better feel to it,eminem spit on it better..there's not one song on here better than

white america
till i collapse
cleaning out my closet
sing for the moment
business

so on,and so forth...there was great pacing on the eminem show,more engaging songs,MUCH better production,better hooks,better everything....

recovery is a far cry from the eminem show..

Last edited by HotepSuns; 06-18-2010 at 04:06 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #85
kakish 9 heat pts
space
space
$12,936 | Props total: 1532 1532
 Birdman's Back said:
dude should never be allowed to review another album....ever.
seriously...this is a terrible review.
 7 years ago '05        #86
Str8 outta Cuse 5 heat pts
space
space
$5,515 | Props total: 49 49
 HotepSuns said:
trying hard to make the review seem spot on?....i'm discussing my opinion with others in here on the merits of the review,and the album...i'm not just coming in saying "f**k pitch fork,they're biased,because they gave this other album a bad review"....98 percent of you in here haven't taken the time to even discuss the criticism...you're so focused on the number "2.8" it's like it hurt your feelings,or something....i specifically put in the premise of this thread that "i don't even care about the score,it's moreso about what's being said in the review"..

and this album is far worse than the eminem show to me....the eminem show was executed better,had a better feel to it,eminem spit on it better..there's not one song on here better than

white america
till i collapse
cleaning out my closet
sing for the moment
business

so on,and so forth...there was great pacing on the eminem show,more engaging songs,MUCH better production,better hooks,better everything....

relapse is a far cry from the eminem show..
The Eminem Show is possibly the best album of all time. Theres albums that are 8.5/10 like Recovery for example but they are never gonna match TES. There's classic albums that don't even come close to TES.

So saying that TES is MUCH better than Recovery doesn't actually prove anything whatsoever, TES is the Michael Jordan of Hip Hop albums who the f**k is gonna compete with that?
 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM         #87
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Str8 outta Cuse said:
The Eminem Show is possibly the best album of all time. Theres albums that are 8.5/10 like Recovery for example but they are never gonna match TES. There's classic albums that don't even come close to TES.

So saying that TES is MUCH better than Recovery doesn't actually prove anything whatsoever, TES is the Michael Jordan of Hip Hop albums who the f**k is gonna compete with that?

[pic - click to view]

7 years ago '04        #88
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 3 3
I agree with him about the Relapse s**t. And the corny lines he pointed out, not that he has a TON of them on there.

"The only winning moment on the record comes early, with "Talkin' 2 Myself", where Em admits he contemplated dissing Kanye and Lil Wayne out of jealousy."

is this guy serious? He elaborated on maybe three songs on the album and didn't even go in depth with those. I can understand that the reviewer is disappointed, but this comes off as an angry rant from a bitter [former] fan.
 7 years ago '04        #89
knives 
space
space
$1,571 | Props total: 24 24
 HotepSuns said:

white america
till i collapse
cleaning out my closet
sing for the moment
business

relapse is a far cry from the eminem show..
I read the review, if you want to call it that. They highlighted 1 song as a positive and basically said everything else was trash more or less. Its completely biased. I can't take what they said seriously. the part you highlighted is fine, they can say the production didn't fit Em well, or it didn't connect like it should in some cases. He took a risk going outside the camp and it worked for the most part imo. even if they don't think it did, that in itself shouldn't bring a reviewer to give it a 2.8 out of 10. I see you trying to say that the score doesn't matter, but how can it not? It makes them look foolish and it's hard to take their critique of the album seriously. No one said it was a perfect album or his best, but to deem it as his worst is plain stupid. They're basically saying when dude was on drugs, farting on records with a shot voice and rhyming about absouletly nothing it some cases it was more enjoyable to listen to than this album. It's laughable. Again, if they're really gonna give the album that low of a score, break it down to justify it. Don't give me a few corny lines from the same song, complain about the production and call it a day. I'm not even into writing like that but even I can tell they half a.ssed this review. Just look at HipHop DX's review...even if they didn't like the album and gave it a 2 or something they went a little deeper, focusing on more than a few tracks.

As far as the Eminem show, again i never said it was better. they have the same feel to me, meaning the content and his thought process in making the records were similar. He was more introspective here, which TES was all about. And I can easily match the best songs on here, talking 2 myself, going through changes, cinderella man, Space Bound, 25 to life with what you mentioned. They're just as emotionally driven and technically written, the main difference is what those songs are reflecting on in regards to his life. Those were moreso about his music in general and its effect on the outside world, which would impact the listener a lot more. these songs are about his life and the life changes he's had to go through these last few years. They're similar yet different. They're not gonna impact the listener as much because it's about his personal struggles. I can still appreciate them both.
 06-18-2010, 04:36 PM         #90
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 knives said:
I read the review, if you want to call it that. They highlighted 1 song as a positive and basically said everything else was trash more or less. Its completely biased. I can't take what they said seriously. the part you highlighted is fine, they can say the production didn't fit Em well, or it didn't connect like it should in some cases. He took a risk going outside the camp and it worked for the most part imo. even if they don't think it did, that in itself shouldn't bring a reviewer to give it a 2.8 out of 10. I see you trying to say that the score doesn't matter, but how can it not? It makes them look foolish and it's hard to take their critique of the album seriously. No one said it was a perfect album or his best, but to deem it as his worst is plain stupid. They're basically saying when dude was on drugs, farting on records with a shot voice and rhyming about absouletly nothing it some cases it was more enjoyable to listen to than this album. It's laughable. Again, if they're really gonna give the album that low of a score, break it down to justify it. Don't give me a few corny lines from the same song, complain about the production and call it a day. I'm not even into writing like that but even I can tell they half a.ssed this review. Just look at HipHop DX's review...even if they didn't like the album and gave it a 2 or something they went a little deeper, focusing on more than a few tracks.

As far as the Eminem show, again i never said it was better. they have the same feel to me, meaning the content and his thought process in making the records were similar. He was more introspective here, which TES was all about. And I can easily match the best songs on here, talking 2 myself, going through changes, cinderella man, Space Bound, 25 to life with what you mentioned. They're just as emotionally driven and technically written, the main difference is what those songs are reflecting on in regards to his life. Those were moreso about his music in general and its effect on the outside world, which would impact the listener a lot more. these songs are about his life and the life changes he's had to go through these last few years. They're similar yet different. They're not gonna impact the listener as much because it's about his personal struggles. I can still appreciate them both.

you still don't get it...it doesn't matter if they are similiar in theme..they are starkly different in execution,feel,and overall quality...em just was horrible in being able to convey the proper emotion on these tracks...way to aggressive over most of the album,no pacing,and less focus on song structure,and more on just beasting lyrically...which in turn lead to him rhyming off beat on a lot of songs...on the eminem show em was rhyming in pocket,his flow was superb,and he had great pacing in order to create the emotion of the track....cleaning out my closet is a great example of this...

i'm not defending the entire article..but the meat,and potatoes of the article to me is spot on..
 7 years ago '10        #91
Amysson410 1 heat pts
space
space
$267 | Props total: 22 22
 Birdman's Back said:
dude should never be allowed to review another album....ever.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 7 years ago '09        #92
RuggedOne 1 heat pts
space
space
$742 | Props total: 543 543
"And yet for all the rattling-around-inside-the-beat syllable pileups here, there is almost nothing worth quoting"

Stopped reading after this dumbass statement
 7 years ago '04        #93
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,876 | Props total: 17416 17416
Review is spot on as well as the score
 7 years ago '06        #94
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
 erickonasis said:
Review is spot on as well as the score
this... buncha corny a.ss people caught up in the hype.
 06-18-2010, 07:08 PM         #95
graydome  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
even if you disagree with the score... there are some facts that can't be argued...
1. the album has a lot of corny punchlines
2. Em is off beat a lot
3. some of the beats and hooks are pop trash
4. Em's flow is yelling most of the time and he rarely switches it

As I said before the score is harsh but the review is pretty spot on. I personally like half of the album, the other half is painful. It's not Em's worse album but I prefer Relapse over this one anyday.
 7 years ago '04        #96
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
People keep saying the review is biased, but no one's explained that, how is it biased?
 7 years ago '10        #97
knowlege bass 
space
space
$3,220 | Props total: 563 563
I agree with some of dudes points, but it doesn't stop me from thinking that "Recovery" is a solid album. I really dont find that his emotion is forced at all on this album, I think its pretty much representative of someone going through this stage of recovery. Life aint fun for him right now and that is really what comes through. But at the same time he doesnt just wanna just give up his spot so he sheds some baggage on his journey to find some happiness. This can definitely come off as a bit of a self-pity party sometimes but it maybe a necessary cartharsis, the next album we'll see if he's still wallowing in his own pity.

I am not a huge Eminem fan and I couldnt stand Relapse but one thing I do respect about Em is that he always gives the "listeners" something to look for even though he's sold more albums than anyone else, other genres included. Maybe the emotion doesn't carry over, and the beats are not quite what they should be and some of the hooks are suspect but the technical aspect that the reviewer completely disregards is a large part of what hip-hop is all about. Its not the only thing but its one of the pillars and Em's structuring and enunciation are what shine through on this album.
As for the emotion, well I think he's just being real and not faking the fact that he's probably a miserable c**t right now, he cant even tour because its a trigger for his addiction.

Oh yeah, would give it a 7.5/10 ....

Last edited by knowlege bass; 06-18-2010 at 09:42 PM..
 7 years ago '07        #98
GrokLP 
space
space
$209 | Props total: 0 0
im one of the biggest em fans around, but i just dont see what everyone sees in this album, musically its terrible and i dont think em is anywhere near what he used to be, 2.8 might be low, but really at the end of the day the album isnt good so who cares if its a 5 or a 1
 7 years ago '05        #99
mattdogg444 
space
space
$14,497 | Props total: 717 717
lol dont see how people can hate on recovery but whatever
 7 years ago '04        #100
erickonasis 20 heat pts20
space
space
$26,876 | Props total: 17416 17416
 GrokLP said:
im one of the biggest em fans around, but i just dont see what everyone sees in this album, musically its terrible and i dont think em is anywhere near what he used to be, 2.8 might be low, but really at the end of the day the album isnt good so who cares if its a 5 or a 1
Honest opinion..if you want to judge it as a Pop / Rock album then rate it highe but as a hip hop album its terrible

Last edited by erickonasis; 06-18-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
98 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
64 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
57 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
210 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Drink Champs: Jim Jones (4 hours long)
65 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy