Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8...

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
148 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
7 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '04        #61
finishim 80 heat pts80
space
space
$21,769 | Props total: 1 1
i see weve entered a thread where all the people who dont like the new eminem cd dwell
 7 years ago '07        #62
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
they didnt like recovery...WHAT!!!..this is a outrage...they must be black and racist
 7 years ago '04        #63
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,554 | Props total: 93 93
 knives said:
why are you trying so hard to make this review seem on spot? It's an opinion, but a s**tty one at that. Pitch fork fell off with their hip hop reviews. They seem extremely biased now, no matter how articulate they get their point across. they gave a lot of quality albums mediocore to bad reviews. the consensus so far is that this album is on par with some of his best. To give it a 2.8 is f**king laughable. They gave encore, possibly his worst album a 6.5. This should tell you something. Are you going to tell me that Encore was a better album than this? People shouldn't look at pitchfork for reviews anymore. they have seriously fallen off. I think they do this to come off as different and edgy, and it gets somewhat of a Buzz when a big time artist gets such a bad review. Cuz now they have you spreading it and it gets people talking.

People who enjoyed the album shouldn't let a few reviews take away their enjoyment from it

Just to add

This album has the same feel as TES, just with more complexity in rhyme scheme. It can be corny to,i'll admit but it doesn't dimish anything overall. How can they give that a 9.1 and this a 2.8 when they're similar in almost every regard? I can always respect an opinion, even when they say the album is wack. But when a review from a critic sounds like it was done from someone at boxden, s**t can't be taken seriously.
Those reviews were all done by different people.

Besides, TES is much better than Recovery Eminem isn't at the level he used to be.
 7 years ago '10        #64
G Code 42 heat pts42
space
space
$6,029 | Props total: 117 117
Critic caught feelings after hearing On Fire which explanes why he thought Talking 2 Myself was the only good song
 7 years ago '04        #65
Drug Free|M 11 heat pts11
space
space
$49,202 | Props total: 1360 1360
i have no clue who jayson greene is so why would i care about his opinion on an album?
 7 years ago '04        #66
knives 
space
space
$1,571 | Props total: 24 24
 HHS said:
Those reviews were all done by different people.

Besides, TES is much better than Recovery Eminem isn't at the level he used to be.

I never said it was better, i said it had the same feel which it does. He's more introspective and at times Emo, just like he was on TES. the only difference i feel is he added more fun tracks whereas TES was serious just about all the way through. I think this album is on par with his first 3, with MMLP still high at the top.
 7 years ago '04        #67
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
 knives said:
I never said it was better, i said it had the same feel which it does. He's more introspective and at times Emo, just like he was on TES. the only difference i feel is he added more fun tracks whereas TES was serious just about all the way through. I think this album is on par with his first 3, with MMLP still high at the top.
This review criticizes the execution above all else, so it doesn't matter if it has the same feel.

Nothing is stopping you from disagreeing with the review, of course, it's just someone's opinion, but there's no contradiction.

Personally, this is his worst album other than Encore for me.

Last edited by HHS; 06-18-2010 at 08:48 AM..
 7 years ago '09        #68
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 71 71
 PDA said:
i have no clue who jayson greene is so why would i care about his opinion on an album?
Quoted for not being able to put it any better.
 7 years ago '04        #69
knives 
space
space
 HHS said:
This review criticizes the execution above all else, so it doesn't matter if it has the same feel.

Nothing is stopping you from disagreeing with the review, of course, it's just someone's opinion, but there's no contradiction.

Personally, this is his worst album other than Encore for me.

Yet they don't even go in depth about what isn't excuted well. They basically showcased some of his cornier rhymes and basically s**tted on the production. He highlighted 3 or 4 songs and called it a review. really?

How many spins did you give this album before regarding it as his worst? And why do you prefer relapse over this? I'm just curious.
 06-18-2010, 09:01 AM         #70
Johnny Blaze  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Birdman's Back said:
dude should never be allowed to review another album....ever.
^cosign

you can be completely a.ss backwards, and just because you sound intellegent, some people will eat that s**t up. just look at politicians.
 7 years ago '04        #71
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
 knives said:
Yet they don't even go in depth about what isn't excuted well. They basically showcased some of his cornier rhymes and basically s**tted on the production. He highlighted 3 or 4 songs and called it a review. really?

How many spins did you give this album before regarding it as his worst? And why do you prefer relapse over this? I'm just curious.
It was clear how weak it was by a third of the way through my first listen, but I gave it a few full listens to be sure nothing clicked, and it didn't. The annoying yelling delivery, the crappy similies and punchlines, the horrible hooks, the unconvincing emoisms, the bad singing, the wack production, I just don't see what's supposed to be good about it. Relapse was weak as well, but he at least sounded more comfortable with the production, and the lyrics weren't as clunky.
 7 years ago '04        #72
haterade2885 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,780 | Props total: 102 102
 beast mode said:
lmaooo look at all the stans and nerds gettin mad cause their hero dropped a s**tty album and we all know it. now it will sell cause there's a bunch of nerds that couldn't wait for em to drop but we all know this album was weak. 2.8 was being generous
lol never heard of pitchfork before, im sure i'll never hear about them again either. you guys hate way too much, there isnt a rapper dead or alive that was like eminem. lyrically unmatched, best rapper of all time.
 7 years ago '05        #73
Truth33 19 heat pts19
space
space
$6,273 | Props total: 810 810
 Shade 45 said:
Eminem>>>>your fave rapper.. stick to wayne, kanye, drake and all that bulls**t.. by the way, your pic is fake as hell.. i'll kids these days
Lol aren't Eminem fans the same people listening to lil wayne and drake?
 7 years ago '04        #74
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
 slimwillie said:
crappy punchlines? come on now I know u can name some bad ones but their was some good ones to.i agree w the hooks, but how was he unconvincing? did u not hear talkin to myself,going through changes or space bound?

the singing is the same on all his albums. his singing was no better on TES so i dont see how that record is so good with all the singing he did there
TES wasn't perfect either, the production and singing were issues, but this album does not have the positives to balance out, which made the singing seem less in the way there, other than "Hailie's Song," and he didn't have f**king Pink, Rihanna and Kobe as guests.

In terms of unconvincing, I don't doubt that he may have felt that stuff, but I don't think it came through that well, whether it was the delivery or the production, bad hooks disrupting the song, or just that lyrically he didn't communicate it as creatively and evocatively as he has in the past. Often, it was all of those thing

Last edited by HHS; 06-18-2010 at 09:21 AM..
 7 years ago '04        #75
knives 
space
space
 HHS said:
It was clear how weak it was by a third of the way through my first listen, but I gave it a few full listens to be sure nothing clicked, and it didn't. The annoying yelling delivery, the crappy similies and punchlines, the horrible hooks, the unconvincing emoisms, the bad singing, the wack production, I just don't see what's supposed to be good about it. Relapse was weak as well, but he at least sounded more comfortable with the production, and the lyrics weren't as clunky.

I respect your views on it. Don't really agree...i give Em credit for taking risks like he does. he could easily spit the same way he did on his first 3 albums, use exclusive Dre beats, and take out the emotional aspect of his songs ie singing, but there's no challenge there for him. That's why he started going with a double time flow, went back to more metaphors and punchlines, sings for emotional purposes, and tried outside production. Rappers don't ever try to evolve as artist or think outside the box except for a select few. Em does it and there are still some who don't give him credit. he can't win with some of ya'll. to each their own though, you can't force it if its not for you.
 7 years ago '04        #76
certifiedplaya1 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,362 | Props total: 161 161
funny, all the s**t i said was wrong wit relapse throughout this last week or so this guy pointed out, we want the old em back i dont give a f**k if he doesnt like it, slim shady=more entertaining
 7 years ago '04        #77
HHS 1 heat pts
space
space
 knives said:
I respect your views on it. Don't really agree...i give Em credit for taking risks like he does. he could easily spit the same way he did on his first 3 albums, use exclusive Dre beats, and take out the emotional aspect of his songs ie singing, but there's no challenge there for him. That's why he started going with a double time flow, went back to more metaphors and punchlines, sings for emotional purposes, and tried outside production. Rappers don't ever try to evolve as artist or think outside the box except for a select few. Em does it and there are still some who don't give him credit. he can't win with some of ya'll. to each their own though, you can't force it if its not for you.
He doesn't have to spit like he used to, and I actually have doubts that he could. Evolution is all well and good, but it just doesn't work here for me.
 7 years ago '04        #78
Blazze One 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,230 | Props total: 13 13
Pitchfork is known for giving low scores. Recovery was alright to me but I wouldnt say it's a 2.8/10. Check out HipHopDX's review on it; they gave it a 4/5.

Remember 2003, when Eminem produced “Moment of Clarity” for Jay-Z’s The Black Album? It was a sparse, bass-heavy track with a few keys and synths, and perfectly showcased Em’s skills as a budding producer. In hindsight, two ironic points emerge from that offering. It took seven years of f!ghting through personal tragedy and drug addiction for Em to find his own moment of clarity. And, having found it, beats like the one he supplied Jay-Z are conspicuously absent. Neither of these are necessarily negatives. They just make for one confusingly excellent listen.

Recovery opens with “Cold Wind Blows,” which is arguably the closest Eminem comes to Slim Shady / Marshall Mathers LP territory in nearly a decade. The snares and bass are aggressive, and match with Eminem bars that are as technically precise and shocking as they’ve ever been. Halfway through the track, after hearing him rhyme, “Motherf**ker, I'll show you pus*y footin' / I'll kick a b**ch in the c*nt till it makes her queef / And sounds like a f**kin' whoopee cushion / Who the f**k is you pushin'?” it’s obvious that Shady’s back. Sort of.

Even on songs such as “W.T.P.” and “On Fire,” where he’s either bored or taking the usual juvenile jabs at Mariah Carey, Brooke Hogan and Michael J. Fox, he still excels at putting the actual pattern of his bars together better than almost anyone. He rhymes about rhyming. He rhymes about how well he rhymes, and he rhymes about bragging about how well he rhymes, because, well, he can. It proves how drastically his outlook has changed over the past year, since on “Talking 2 Myself,” Em admits he almost dissed Kanye West and Lil Wayne for the hell of it, rhyming, “Hatred was flowing through my veins / On the verge of going insane / I almost made a song dissing Lil Wayne / It's like I was jealous of him because of the attention he was getting / I felt horrible about myself / He was spittin' and I wasn't / Anyone who was buzzin' back then could have got it almost went at Kanye too / Thank God I didn't do it / I would of had my a.ss handed to me...”

On 2009’s Relapse, listeners called Eminem out for his trite subject matter delivered in what sounded like a faux Swedish accent. Recovery is a response devoid of both flaws. Eminem and his issues serve as the subject matter for the majority of the album, and he’s blatantly honest about both topics. This isn’t the currently trendy, half-emo, “I’m so sad” fare. Em gets introspective on levels previously reached by the likes of Scarface and DMX at their lowest points. Additionally, he recounts his entry into the Rap game (“Almost Famous”), and pushes himself into unfamiliar territory with “Love The Way You Lie” and “Won’t Back Down.”

It’s not that being introspective or talking about domestic issues or personal loss is new for Eminem, but rather the way he tackles all of the above on Recovery. This is the most experimental production he has rhymed over since the Infinite days. At times it’s big and anthemic like “Lose Yourself,” yet still lacks the punch Dr. Dre and The Bass Brothers have provided for so many years. After hearing Just Blaze sample Haddaway’s “What Is Love,” on the Lil Wayne-assisted “No Love,” a visit from either would be a welcomed improvement. And honestly, that type of production—or at least getting used to consistently hearing Eminem rhyme over it—is the album's only flaw.

The current shift in Hip Hop’s landscape finds listeners rewarding artists for experimentation, even when it occasionally goes awry by “Golden Era” standards. You don’t have to look any further than Kanye West’s Auto-Tuned 808’s & Heartbreak, B.o.B.’s Pop/Rock-influenced Adventures of Bobby Ray or Jay-Z’s hipster-infused Blueprint 3. Eminem’s decision to pair himself with the likes of P!nk and Rihanna or to croon (albeit off-key) about his fallen friend, Proof on “You’re Never Over” seems representative of that shift. Em adapted with the times, and even during his musical missteps, he’s pushing himself to experiment. After all, it’s not 2003 anymore.
 7 years ago '05        #79
awall 
space
space
space
$3,332 | Props total: 38 38
its garbage finally people are starting to realize.
 7 years ago '04        #80
KidKingGoD 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,086 | Props total: 613 613
Eminem's album is dope 2 me... that cat is tripping you can' diss an emcee for going out of his way 2 spit iLL rhymes that's... bulls**t.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith passes Kobe for 12th all-time in 3 pointers made
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
5 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 9 - The end of prison visits: jails end face-to-face contact – and familie..
100 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
68 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy