Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8...

most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
101 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
73 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-18-2010, 02:54 AM         #1
8549 pageviews
153 comments

HotepSuns 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8...

I'm posting this not so much because of the score,but moreso,because i thought the write up was damn near spot on as far as the critique..

Watching Eminem attempt to re-situate himself in the pop landscape the past year or so has been a bizarre spectacle. He roared out of his post-Encore slumber in early 2009 seeming almost puppyishly eager to rap again, spitting verses for anyone who put him in front of a mic with a desperation that suggested he was making up for lost time. Relapse, his 2009 comeback album, found him trying to scratch and claw his way back into the body of 1999-era Slim Shady, but the effect was similar to Metallica trying to revisit their thrash years with 2008's death Magnetic: The sound was there; the fury, long gone. No matter how many starlets he tortured and k!lled in his lyrics, Em couldn't rewrite the intervening years and the enervating effect they've had on his spirit.

So now he's back again, with the follow-up to Relapse, and as its title suggests, Recovery is meant to be triumphant, tracing Em's journey out of depression and drug addiction and back into the peak of his powers. Out of all the depressing aspects of Recovery, the worst is the realization that for listeners the album takes the opposite arc-- the more he motors on about having reclaimed his passion for hip-hop and finally figured out who he is, the more draining the album becomes. Eminem has never really known who he is, which has resulted in one of the most wildly erratic discographies of any major rap artist; at this point, the number of times he's sounded rudderless on record are catching up to the times he's sounded alive. At his best, he has always made a fascinating scramble of his internal turmoil, but the guy rapping on Recovery just sounds devoid of any noticeable joy, personality, or wit.

Not that he's not trying. As on Relapse, Em almost passes out showing us he's still got it, rapping in double and triple time, piling tricky syncopations on top of each other, constructing whole verses with end rhymes buried in the middle of phrases-- basically any kind of pyrotechnical trick he can think of to wow the kind of rap listeners who venerate technical skill above all else. And yet for all the rattling-around-inside-the-beat syllable pileups here, there is almost nothing worth quoting. He reels off an astonishing amount of cringe-worthy puns, on the order of, "Girl, shake that a.ss like a donkey with Parkinson's." On the menopausal, Diane Warren-esque uplift anthem "Not Afraid", he actually strings together the excruciating lines, "Okay, stop playin' with the scissors and s**t, and cut the crap/ I shouldn't have to rhyme these words in a rhythm for you to know it's a wrap." Eminem spends nearly half of Recovery insisting he's the best rapper alive, but for the first time in his career, he actually sounds clumsy.

He can't even coexist meaningfully with a beat-- every producer he works with seems to give him the most attenuated version of their signature sound possible and back away carefully. The liner notes will tell you that Recovery features production by Boi-1DA, Jim Jonsin, DJ Khalil, and Just Blaze along with the usual suspects Mr. Porter and Dre. But your ears will tell you it's the same click track Em's been rapping over since time immemorial-- the only times the beats elbow to the fore are with DJ Khalil's characteristically chunky and unwieldy rap-rock hybrids. Em just sort of drifts through these productions, as haunted and disembodied a presence as 2Pac on a posthumous release.

The only winning moment on the record comes early, with "Talkin' 2 Myself", where Em admits he contemplated dissing Kanye and Lil Wayne out of jealousy. "Thank god that I didn't do it-- I'd have had my a.ss handed to me," he raps, in a rare moment of wry honesty. The climax of the song sees him shouting out Wayne, Kanye, and T.I. in a show of solidarity, but the truth is Em doesn't even inhabit the same universe as these guys. He lives in a world all his own, and for the most part, that world doesn't allow for visitors. When Wayne shows up on "No Love", a po-faced duet built on a sample of Haddaway's "What Is Love", the point is hammered home-- the two rappers' verses don't even seem to belong to the same song. Marshall has never played all that comfortably or well with others, but here his solipsism is so overwhelming it negates whoever or whatever else is going on around him. He sucks the air out of the room just by stepping into it.

— Jayson Greene, June 18, 2010

[pic - click to view]

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Eminem: Recovery

153 comments for "Pitchfork Gives Eminems Recovery A 2.8..."

7 years ago '06        #2
Bama Boy 100 heat pts100
space
space
space
$57,471 | Props total: 14751 14751
dude should never be allowed to review another album....ever.
 7 years ago '06        #3
Yung Dilla 1478 heat pts1478
space
space
$54,884 | Props total: 25668 25668
 Birdman's Back said:
this ^^^^^^^^
 7 years ago '04        #4
Ace Tu 6 heat pts
space
space
$2,246 | Props total: 215 215
 Birdman's Back said:
this...
 06-18-2010, 03:04 AM         #5
Doc D  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
f**k you groupies, he gave an honest review. 2.8 is just being nice too.
 7 years ago '05        #6
TIGER HOODS 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,042 | Props total: 1 1
Ill admit that the writer was a lil too biased on this, but written well though thats for sure.

He did stamp an L on Recovery though.
 06-18-2010, 03:24 AM         #7
2D....  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HotepSuns said:
I'm posting this not so much because of the score,but moreso,because i thought the write up was damn near spot on as far as the critique..
you serious? it sounds like he skimmed halfway through and bulls**tted a review

there's nothing in depth about this interview, it just says that he's lost it without any backing
why would someone write a review when they just pus*yfoot around the point?

he's a good writer though, knows how to make his side seem logical
 7 years ago '08        #8
Future 44 heat pts44
space
space
$34,246 | Props total: 1276 1276
 Doc D said:
f**k you groupies, he gave an honest review. 2.8 is just being nice too.
Eminem>>>>your fave rapper.. stick to wayne, kanye, drake and all that bulls**t.. by the way, your pic is fake as hell.. i'll kids these days
 06-18-2010, 03:30 AM         #9
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2D.... said:
you serious? it sounds like he skimmed halfway through and bulls**tted a review

there's nothing in depth about this interview, it just says that he's lost it without any backing
why would someone write a review when they just pus*yfoot around the point?

he's a good writer though, knows how to make his side seem logical

i dont agree with the whole write up...but these were the parts i feel were on point..

So now he's back again, with the follow-up to Relapse, and as its title suggests, Recovery is meant to be triumphant, tracing Em's journey out of depression and drug addiction and back into the peak of his powers. Out of all the depressing aspects of Recovery, the worst is the realization that for listeners the album takes the opposite arc-- the more he motors on about having reclaimed his passion for hip-hop and finally figured out who he is, the more draining the album becomes. Eminem has never really known who he is, which has resulted in one of the most wildly erratic discographies of any major rap artist; at this point, the number of times he's sounded rudderless on record are catching up to the times he's sounded alive. At his best, he has always made a fascinating scramble of his internal turmoil, but the guy rapping on Recovery just sounds devoid of any noticeable joy, personality, or wit.

He can't even coexist meaningfully with a beat-- every producer he works with seems to give him the most attenuated version of their signature sound possible and back away carefully. The liner notes will tell you that Recovery features production by Boi-1DA, Jim Jonsin, DJ Khalil, and Just Blaze along with the usual suspects Mr. Porter and Dre. But your ears will tell you it's the same click track Em's been rapping over since time immemorial-- the only times the beats elbow to the fore are with DJ Khalil's characteristically chunky and unwieldy rap-rock hybrids. Em just sort of drifts through these productions, as haunted and disembodied a presence as 2Pac on a posthumous release.
 06-18-2010, 03:44 AM         #10
Got Cheeve?  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Review is spot on. I've been saying this the whole time and people get all butt hurt calling me a hater and etc. but his sound is pretty empty on this record. it's painfully self aware and not in a good way. there is waaay too much corniness going on, it's twinge worthy.

the ONLY song where he sounds comfortable or anywhere near to his old self is "On Fire" IMO. he actually sounds like he fits the beat here. and it's actually a clever record. the rest of the entire album he just sounds out of place, and there's waaaay too much corn going on and self pity. Empty would be the best way to describe it.
 06-18-2010, 03:50 AM         #11
2D....  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 HotepSuns said:
i dont agree with the whole write up...but these were the parts i feel were on point..

i'll give you the first paragraph up to the red, that was spot on
but then he says that the album has no personality, that makes no sense to me...
what about the drug addiction, losing proof, getting back into rap, ect.

and the green part i highlighted is either contradictory or i don't get what he's saying
how can every track have a signature sound yet sound like every other track too?

i mean i'm not gonna sit here and act like recovery is classic, its not, but its a solid album
this review would be a lot more convincing if he had specific examples to back up his point or at least some quotes
 7 years ago '06        #12
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,783 | Props total: 2279 2279
album was nothing less than a 8.5/10. f**k pitchfork when was the last time anyone looked to them for whether or not an album was good or not
 7 years ago '05        #13
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,334 | Props total: 1671 1671
2.8 is a harsh score, and I didn't think the write-up justified that score. The review seemed more like it was aiming towards a 6

The album has grew on me; I admit, at first listen I was surprised by how s**tty it sounded. But fortunately, by the 10-15th spin, I actually think it's pretty good. Surprisingly, for the first time ever, I think his lead single is actually the best song on the album, next to "Going Through Changes" and "No Love."
 06-18-2010, 04:03 AM         #14
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2D.... said:
i'll give you the first paragraph up to the red, that was spot on
but then he says that the album has no personality, that makes no sense to me...
what about the drug addiction, losing proof, getting back into rap, ect.

and the green part i highlighted is either contradictory or i don't get what he's saying
how can every track have a signature sound yet sound like every other track too?

i mean i'm not gonna sit here and act like recovery is classic, its not, but its a solid album
this review would be a lot more convincing if he had specific examples to back up his point or at least some quotes

he's not talking about the content...he's talking about how em comes off on the track..which is a critique i had of the album...em on his first 3 albums always was able to create the emotion in his tracks,and bring personality to the tracks....on this album he's really not doing that...it's just much of what the writer said..alot of technically sound rapping,but that's about it....and for the type of content on this album it should have been less going so hard lyrically,and more emphasis on song writing,and creating the emotion for the tracks....

he's saying they gave him "their" most attenuated signature sound....meaning although there are a host of different producers on here the sounds all seem to sound like the basic em production that you always hear for the most part,or would EXPECT to hear...

which is another critique i had...when i learned intially that just blaze was going to be working on this album i was dumb excited thinking FINALLY..were gonna hear em spread his wings on a studio album,and wreck some different sounding beats...but he ended up getting some beats from just blaze that sound like s**t he would have done....

i'd say i like the album a little bit more than the writer...but i believe me,and him are just disappointed...in which case i've been hearing that a lot about this album....
 7 years ago '10        #15
schlegel 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,568 | Props total: 0 0
 Birdman's Back said:
^^^^^^^^
 7 years ago '10        #16
beast mode 25 heat pts25
space
space
$13,969 | Props total: 1796 1796
lmaooo look at all the stans and nerds gettin mad cause their hero dropped a s**tty album and we all know it. now it will sell cause there's a bunch of nerds that couldn't wait for em to drop but we all know this album was weak. 2.8 was being generous
 06-18-2010, 04:09 AM         #17
Got Cheeve?  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i'd give the album a 4/10 honestly. just because i expect more from someone as talented as eminem. but that's just it, the fire is gone... he's kevin garnett. he's fronting like he still has it but watching him you can tell... he's lost it save for a few glimpses of his old greatness but he's inconsistent as hell now...
 7 years ago '06        #18
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,047 | Props total: 18808 18808
from someone that does reviews I gotta say.......

review was exactly on point.

Em is officially going downhill as an artist b/c he's started chasing $$$ over expressing himself...

the critiques about the production were really on point too...all the beats Em chose were very similiar for the most part....

I hate seeing guys with talent follow trends to their end....
 7 years ago '05        #19
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,334 | Props total: 1671 1671
I don't think the fire's gone, I think Em brought ferocity into this album - that's not where I think the problem lies. Technically, he's sound, but artistically, not so much. He had less of a personality this time around, and I think that's where most people's disappointments stem from. He's just spitting a bunch of dope lines on a few dry beats.

The hooks were mediocre (with the exception of some songs, of course), and you couldn't really tell what each song represented. Em could've dropped his verse from Cinderella Man on Won't Back Down's beat and I wouldn't be able to tell the topical difference.
 06-18-2010, 04:22 AM         #20
.aviator.man.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sounds like a hater to me...madd quotables on recovery
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
38 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
72 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
248 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
110 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
94 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy