2010 NHL Off-Season Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
145 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '07        #141
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$18,234 | Props total: 140 140
 Luca Brasi said:
hamhuis is stayin in pittsburgh
Oh word???

We'll see.
 7 years ago '07        #142
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97 OP
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
Free Agency has begun
 7 years ago '07        #143
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 keithbm1111 said:
Free Agency has begun
Not until 12PM ET.
 7 years ago '07        #144
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 BrownBag said:

can you give me the 411 on those guys m-f
Word.

Stalberg will fit well on the Hawks, Paradis was a 1st rounder last year in the draft.. I think 27th? He has the potential to be a solid 2 way player...and Dedo is a solid player.. 3/4th liner in the NHL.

Kessel/Versteeg. Hmmm.
 7 years ago '07        #145
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
Now that I think about it, how can anyone hate on what Burke has done with the leafs over the last year in a half or so.

He got Phaneuf, got rid of bum players like Stajan, Ian White, don't even remember who else the Flames got..
Picked up Phil Kessel, People say he got robbed in the trade, I don't believe so.

Versteeg was a huge pick up for the Leafs, he played a checking role for the Hawks, now he can bring his offensive game that we seen glimmer with clutchness during the playoffs.

Now him along side Kessel....& now with the ability too move Kaberle for another top 6 forward is big, I wonder what Burkie has up his sleeves.

You got Phaneuf, Schenn, Komisarek, Beauchy.. etc on D.
Giguere too mentor Gusty until the end of next year when 6M comes off the books for the Leafs.

Leafs are actually looking to turn things around.. I like it, I'll finally be able too talk s**t too all my friends when playoffs roll around and make some money.
 7 years ago '10        #146
hockeysniper 
space
space
$923 | Props total: 0 0
 m-f said:
Now that I think about it, how can anyone hate on what Burke has done with the leafs over the last year in a half or so.

He got Phaneuf, got rid of bum players like Stajan, Ian White, don't even remember who else the Flames got..
Picked up Phil Kessel, People say he got robbed in the trade, I don't believe so.

Versteeg was a huge pick up for the Leafs, he played a checking role for the Hawks, now he can bring his offensive game that we seen glimmer with clutchness during the playoffs.

Now him along side Kessel....& now with the ability too move Kaberle for another top 6 forward is big, I wonder what Burkie has up his sleeves.

You got Phaneuf, Schenn, Komisarek, Beauchy.. etc on D.
Giguere too mentor Gusty until the end of next year when 6M comes off the books for the Leafs.

Leafs are actually looking to turn things around.. I like it, I'll finally be able too talk s**t too all my friends when playoffs roll around and make some money.
The Leaf's future success all depends on Phaneuf regaining form and fulfilling his promise imo. He's been mediocre the past two seasons.
 7 years ago '04        #147
TurboE 
space
space
$863 | Props total: 2 2
quick free agency this year....
 7 years ago '07        #148
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 Luca Brasi said:
damn i was wrong canucks gonna have a good D this year...i like gettin martin n zybenek cant believe sens payed gonch that much money injury prone old guy whos a liability on D but can still run the point
Why you think he didn't sign in Philly... he's from BC. Wanted too come home, we got him on a good deal too. Next is too extend Ehrhoff.

Anyways, no one has updated all the deals.. & I finally reached my destination upnorth so I'll update everything tonight.....

& Too the dude who said that was a quick Free Agency, its always busy as f**k July 1st.
 7 years ago '07        #149
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
VANCOUVER -- Dan Hamhuis turned down more money from other teams for a chance to play at home and maybe win a Stanley Cup.

The free-agent defenceman agreed to a US$27-million, six-year deal with the Vancouver Canucks Thursday, adding more depth and another big paycheque to the NHL team's blue-line.

Hamhuis, a native of Smithers, B.C., was twice traded since the end of the season to teams hoping to sign the talented defenceman. Even when other clubs waved more money at him, Hamhuis kept his eye on the Canucks.

"We did get some different offers from other teams," said the 27-year-old who spent six seasons playing with the Nashville Predators. "Some of them were higher in contract value.

"We liked the fit in Vancouver. We liked the opportunity it presented from a hockey perspective and the lifestyle perspective for my family."

Hamhuis also is excited about the chance of advancing past the first round of the playoffs, something he hasn't done since playing junior hockey for the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League.

"It's been a long time since I've been out of the first round," he said during a telephone conference call. "I hope to get past that with Vancouver and further.

"It's a team that is committed to winning. You can see the way they spend their money. They sign close to the (salary) cap or right to the cap every year to give themselves the best chance to win. It's exciting to be part of something like that."

Canuck GM Mike Gillis said the mobile, six-foot-one, 200-pound Hamhuis was the No. 1 player Vancouver targeted on the first day of free agency.

Gillis liked the fact Hamhuis was willing to pocket less money for the chance to hold a Stanley Cup.

"We're trying to compete for a Stanley Cup and ultimately players have to do that if they want be in that environment," Gillis said. "We were thrilled he was prepared to come here for less money."

Hamhuis, who spends a couple of weeks every year training in Vancouver, said he'd already received over a 100 text messages from friends and family around the northern B.C. town of Smithers excited about him playing for the Canucks.

"We are expecting a big change as far as being anonymous in Nashville," said Hamhuis, who is married with two young daughters.

The Canucks were busy Thursday, also signing centres Manny Malhotra and Joel Perreault plus left-winger Jeff Tambellini.

Malhotra agreed to a $7.5-million, three-year contract that includes a no-trade clause. Last summer, he signed a $700,000, one-year deal in San Jose.

With the ability to play either centre or wing, Malhotra is expected to compete for a spot on Vancouver's third line.

"We wanted to get more size into our lineup on the forward position," said Gillis. "Manny adds a dimension we didn't have. He's a really good penalty k!ller.

"Clearly, based on our penalty k!lling last year, we had to improve in that area."

Hamhuis collected 32 goals and 161 points in 483 games in Nashville. He had five goals and 24 points last season. The Predators traded his negotiating rights to Philadelphia for defenceman Ryan Parent on June 19.

The Flyers then traded him last week to Pittsburgh for a third-round draft pick in 2011.

A solid two-way defender, Hamhuis has also been durable. He has played at least 78 games each season with the Predators, making him a welcome addition to the Canucks, whose defence has been decimated by injuries the last two seasons.

The Canucks now have eight defenceman, six of whom will earn over $3 million next season.

Vancouver acquired top-four defenceman Keith Ballard as part of a five-player trade with Florida at the draft last week.

Ballard is under contract for the next five seasons at $4.2 million a year. Alex Edler is signed for the next three at $3.25 million per season. But Sami Salo ($3.5 million), Christian Ehrhoff ($3.1 million) and Kevin Bieksa ($3.75 million) are going into the final year of their deals and are eligible for unrestricted free agency next summer.

There already is speculation the Canucks may deal Bieksa this summer.

Gillis pulled on his poker face when asked if Vancouver would trade a defenceman.

"We're going to cross that bridge after the dust settles here," he said. "There is lot's of opportunity.

"Last year we thought we had plenty of defenceman and we went into the season and ended up not having enough. There is lots of time to think about those issues."

Veteran Willie Mitchell is an unrestricted free agent but his future remains in doubt after missing the last half of the season with a concussion.

Malhotra had 14 goals and 33 points while playing a shutdown role and k!lling penalties with the Sharks. The six-foot-two, 220-pound centre has scored 90 goals and 230 points in 705 NHL games with the New York Rangers, Dallas, Columbus and San Jose.

"When you look at the roster, there's an opportunity to win right now," Malhotra said during a conference call. "As a player, you want to be in a situation where you know the team is a good team, it's a competitive team and a team that can go far into the playoffs."

The Canucks finished first in the Northwest Division with 103 points last season before losing to eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago in the second round of the playoffs.

"We talked to a few teams," Malhotra said. "This was the best blend of every aspect, and we had the opportunity to jump on it right away so we took it."

Perreault will likely compete for a job on Vancouver's fourth line after splitting the last four seasons between Phoenix and its San Antonio AHL affiliate.

Tambellini -- the son of former Canucks executive Steve Tambellini, who is now the Edmonton Oilers' general manager -- agreed to a one-year deal.

He had seven goals and 14 points in 36 games last season with the New York Islanders. In 180 career games he has 18 goals and 46 points.
I love the fact we picked up Malholtra, him and Kesler on the PK

Also love the fact that Hamhuis turned down more money just so he could come too the Canucks.

.. & Now if we could move Bieksa.

The "A-Train" will be rolling into New Jersey next season as Anton Volchenkov is finalizing a six-year, $25.5 million deal with the Devils. The contract also has a no-trade clause.

Considered one of the top defensive defencemen in the league, the 28-year old Volchenkov finished eighth in the NHL with 172 blocked shots last season, despite playing in only 64 games. He added 153 hits as well as four goals and 10 a.ssists.

The rugged Russian blueliner should give the team's penalty k!lling unit an immediate boost.

Originally a first round pick, 21st overall by the Ottawa Senators in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft, the Moscow native has 16 goals and 78 a.ssists in 428 career games.

Details to follow.

OTTAWA -- Bryan Murray and the Ottawa Senators got their man on the opening day of free agency, signing veteran Sergei Gonchar to fill a long-existing void on the team's blue-line.

"It adds a great deal to our team -- back-end mobility, the point on the power play. That's how you win games in the league now," said Murray, who inked the 36-year-old Gonchar to a three-year, US$16-million deal on Thursday, just minutes after the start of free-agent season.

"He was our No. 1 guy."

The addition of Gonchar, who's been named to four all-star games and won a Stanley Cup with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009 during his 15-year NHL career, gives the Senators a different look on the back end.

With Anton Volchenkov allowed to leave as an unrestricted free agent and Andy Sutton also not being re-signed, Ottawa loses two of the league's top shot-blocking rearguards. However, it now gains one of the league's premier offensive defencemen -- something the Senators have previously lacked.

"From a coach's perspective, I'm very excited," Senators coach Cory Clouston said. "Bryan mentioned that we put together a list of players that we could potentially go after and (Gonchar), obviously, was on the top of our list.

"I think he adds a lot to our club. We're sad to see Anton go, but we have to turn a page."

Murray said the Senators were on the phone trying to land the native of Chelyabinsk, Russia, by 12:01 eastern time. The pursuit of Gonchar will likely be the team's biggest free agent chase of the summer.

He's looking forward to joining a team that he's helped eliminate in two of the past three playoff years, as well as the prospect of playing in Canada after suiting up for the Washington Capitals, Boston Bruins and Penguins during his career.

"I played against Ottawa during last year's playoffs and I was able to see how good they are," Gonchar said in a conference call.

He's expected to visit Ottawa next week.

"They were close to making the next step and going far in the playoffs and I think I can help them with that.

"Also, playing in Canada is something special. Every time I've played in Canada, I always play better and I enjoy playing over there and that's another reason I wanted to sign with them."

Now, with youngster Erik Karlsson developing into an offensive blue-liner and Filip Kuba returning from a long spell out because of injury, the Senators have made over their blue-line into a much more mobile, creative bunch.

Also, at last week's entry draft, they sent their first-round pick to the St. Louis Blues for 19-year-old David Rundblad, who, like Karlsson, is another skilled Swede. Rundblad is expected to remain in Sweden for another season, however.

"It's great to block shots, but I'd like the other team to block shots and you do that by having the puck and helping the forwards get the attack going and being creative, and in particular, from the back end," Murray said.

Murray said Gonchar brings skating, hands and poise that instantly make the Senators better offensively. Ottawa ranked 15th in the league with 2.68 goals per game this past season.

"You need a guy who can contribute offensively and help your forwards because of the coaching and systems in the league now," he said.

The Senators were just 21st in the NHL on the power play and Gonchar could make a big difference there.

Gonchar's deal includes a no-trade clause. He missed 20 games because of injury last season, but still managed to record 11 goals and 39 a.ssists, seventh in the league among defenceman scoring. His 30 power-play points were third among all blue-liners.

Gonchar missed most of the season two years ago and some critics of the signing suggest he's a risk for three years given his age, but Gonchar said he's had no lingering effects from previous injuries and intends on being available for the 2014 Winter Olympics in his native Russia.

The Senators also re-signed forward Jesse Winchester, 26, to a two-year deal worth US $750,000 per season.

Winchester, a native of Long Sault, Ont., recorded two goals and 11 a.ssists in 52 games this past season.
I do not get why Ottawa let him go and sign an aging Gonchar for 1.5M more??

Obviously will be a good mentor for Karlsson.

7 years ago '07        #150
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
CALGARY - The Calgary Flames looked to their past on the opening day of free agency.

General manager Darryl Sutter brought centre Olli Jokinen back into the fold just five months after trading him to the New York Rangers and also signed former Flame Alex Tanguay on Thursday.

Jokinen agreed to a US$6-million, two-year deal while Tanguay signed a $1.7-million, one-year contract.

Jokinen's return is a head-scratcher. He was dealt to the Rangers on Feb. 1 for forward Chris Higgins and Ales Kotalik - two players who aren't likely to return next season.

"I was a little surprised to get a call from Darryl today," Jokinen said during a conference call. "When I heard what he had to say, then there were no other options. I wanted to come back.

"Knowing the coaching staff and how they run the team over there, for me it's a great place to play. I'm thrilled to come back."

He had 19 goals and 50 points in 75 games over parts of two seasons in Calgary before getting traded.

Sutter did not speak to the media Thursday about his rationale for re-acquiring Jokinen, but said in a statement: "I believe Olli and Alex complement each other and it was very important for us to be involved in signing both of these quality players.

"This really ties our centre ice position together nicely. Adding Olli gives us a good mix at centre ice with (Matt) Stajan, (Daymond) Langkow and (Mikael) Backlund."

Jokinen was originally acquired to be a first-line centre and was paired with captain Jarome Iginla. When he was dealt away in February, he called it a "slap in the face."

Time has healed any wounds.

"Of course I was disappointed and upset when I got traded," said Jokinen. "Over the years, I've seen a lot of different teams. For me, there's no better place to play than in Calgary."

Jokinen had eight goals in his first six games with the Flames after he arrived from Phoenix in 2009, but was kept off the scoresheet the rest of the season. He had 11 goals and 24 a.ssists in 56 games the following season before his trade to New York.

The veteran believes he struggled under the weight of expectations created by his $5.25-million salary.

"My first 10 games when I came to Calgary, that's the way I should play every single night," Jokinen said. "There was a lot of pressure and maybe I wasn't ready to handle that kind of task. My mind is pretty clear right now and the price tag is not as heavy as last time.

"I've got to get back to being physical and a hard guy to play against. I think I have to use my size a little bit more and being a little more selfish and shooting the puck more. I think last year I got caught trying to be a nice guy, please my teammates and passing the puck more."

Jokinen has 252 goals and 316 a.ssists in 881 career games with the Flames, Los Angeles Kings, New York Islanders, Florida Panthers, Phoenix Coyotes and New York Rangers.

Acquiring Jokinen, 31, and Tanguay, 30, doesn't make what was already one of the oldest clubs in the league any younger, but Sutter needed help on offence.

Calgary was the lowest-scoring team in the NHL last season at 204 goals and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

Tanguay had the best season of his career in 2006-07, when he had 81 points while play for the Flames. After seeing his production dip the next season, he requested a trade and was dealt to the Montreal Canadiens.

Tanguay had 10 goals and 27 a.ssists for the Lightning last season when his salary was $2.5 million.

"It wasn't about money. It was about an opportunity," Tanguay said. "Knowing where I'm going, knowing the players there, they've got a lot of good shooters offensively, but I'm not sure I can't be of help passing the puck with the team.

"I want to get back to the level I think I can play. Last year was a difficult year for me. After last season, there are a lot of people doubting my ability."

Tanguay says he wanted out of Calgary in 2008 because, under head coach Mike Keenan, he was used in a defensive role and spent little time on the power play. Tanguay wanted a larger role more befitting his $5.25 million salary at the time.

The native of Ste-Justine, Que., was limited to 50 games with the Habs in 2008-09 because of a shoulder injury and he compiled 16 goals and 25 a.ssists.

"We felt we missed that type of player in the lineup, the guy that can make plays and do some good work on the power-play," Sutter said. "He's a good player."

In 739 career games with Colorado, Calgary, Montreal and Tampa, he has 203 goals and 617 points. The Avalanche drafted Tanguay 12th overall in 1998 and he won a Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001. Calgary acquired him in 2004 in a trade that sent defenceman Jordan Leopold and two draft picks to Denver.

Forward Eric Nystrom, who has played all four of his NHL seasons with the Flames, signed a three-year, $4.2 million contract with the Minnesota Wild on Thursday as an unrestricted free agent.

PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Penguins, long built around some of the NHL's top offensive players, are paying a lot of money to get better on defence.

The Penguins committed US$45 million on Thursday to sign defencemen Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek to five-year contracts after failing to reach terms with Sergei Gonchar and Dan Hamhuis.

Martin, who made $4.5 million with Atlantic Division-rival New Jersey last season, will make $25 million over five seasons with Pittsburgh -- the kind of money the Penguins normally pay only to premier offensive players. Michalek will make $20 million over five seasons, a major upgrade from the $1.5 million he made with Phoenix last season.

Martin, 29, was viewed as the top two-way defenceman available in free agency, except for Gonchar. He had two goals and nine a.ssists in 22 games with the Devils last season, missing most of the year and the Olympics after breaking his left arm Oct. 24 in Pittsburgh.

His most productive season was 2005-06, when he had five goals and 32 a.ssists in 80 games.

Michalek doesn't man the point on the power play like Gonchar -- he had three goals and 14 a.ssists in 72 games with Phoenix last season -- but plays a lot of minutes, is strong in the defensive zone and is an excellent outlet passer. His deal runs though the 2014-15 season and averages $4 million per year.

Michalek, at 27, is nine years younger than Gonchar, who missed more than three-quarters of the Penguins' 2008-09 Stanley Cup-winning season while injured. Gonchar also missed 20 games last season.

After the Penguins were eliminated by Montreal in the second round of the playoffs, general manager Ray Shero put an emphasis on upgrading the defence. He also traded a third-round pick in 2011 to Philadelphia for the negotiating rights to defenceman Hamhuis, but he didn't come to terms on a deal before the NHL free agent signing period began Thursday.

The Penguins made the moves a year after losing the top two defencemen from their Stanley Cup-winning team, Hal Gill and Rob Scuderi, during free agency.

"I was pretty clear about addressing our defence. By getting Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek, I think we've done that," Shero said. "We've got a great corps of defencemen right now that are signed for a number of years. They're at the right age. From our staff and coaches' standpoint, we're pretty thrilled."

Last week, the Penguins also re-signed forward Matt Cooke, one of the league's top agitators, to a $5.4-million, three-year contract.

Gonchar signed a three-year contract with Ottawa after the Penguins refused to budge from their offer of two seasons -- despite a close-to-midnight phone call Wednesday night from Shero asking him to consider one final proposal. Gonchar played for Pittsburgh for five seasons, and was second to Detroit's Nicklas Lidstrom in points per game among defencemen during that time.

Michalek led the NHL in blocked shots with 271 in the 2008-09 season and has 27 goals and 88 a.ssists in 415 career games. He also played for the Czech Republic in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. He had a career-high 28 points with four goals and 24 a.ssists in 2006-07 with Phoenix.

The deals left the Penguins with about only $2 million of salary cap space for the 2010-11 season -- giving them little room to add a proven forward, seemingly a priority after they became overly reliant upon stars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin last season.

"There didn't seem to be those kind of guys (forwards) who are going to make a difference for the kind of money they were looking for," Shero said. "We'll take a look and maybe we can do somebody on a one-year deal at a low number."

With Martin and Michalek under contract, the Penguins have an average of $16.25 million committed to their top four defencemen -- including Brooks Orpik and Kris Letang -- over the next four seasons. Letang, who signed a $14-million, four-year contract late last season, or Alex Goligoski could move into Gonchar's role as the primary point man on the power play.

Great signings by the Pens.

@ The Flames.
 7 years ago '07        #151
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 hockeysniper said:
The Leaf's future success all depends on Phaneuf regaining form and fulfilling his promise imo. He's been mediocre the past two seasons.
Gotta remember he came half way through the season last year...This year he gets a fresh start and with the C on his chest, this is the year he has too prove himself. He's got it in him.

Also the signing of Armstrong added some much needed grit.

Forward Colby Armstrong has signed a three-year, $9 million contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The 27-year-old spent the last two and a half seasons with the Atlanta Thrashers. In the 2009-10, Armstrong had 15 goals and 14 a.ssists in 79 games.

Armstrong, a native of Lloydminster, Saskatchewan., was originally selected by the Penguins 21st overall in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

The Leafs also signed forward Joey Crabb to a two-way deal.

Martin St. Louis wants to be around when the Tampa Bay Lightning are a contender again.

The veteran forward signed a US$22.5-million, four-year extension on Thursday, putting him under contract with the Lightning through the 2014-15 season. The 35-year-old could have been an unrestricted free agent next summer but chose instead to commit to the organization with whom he's spent the majority of his career.

Interestingly, it's a decision he might not have made had Steve Yzerman not been brought on as general manager in May.

"I've seen both sides of the mountain in Tampa -- I've seen the good days and the bad days," St. Louis said on a conference call. "My family loves it in Tampa but I needed something that showed me that we're going to win here now. ...

"I think at the time when they hired Yzerman, I just felt like 'you know what, this is the guy.' This couldn't have been a better hiring."

The Lightning have missed the playoffs the last three seasons while experiencing a tremendous amount of overhaul at all levels of the organization -- everyone from owners to executives to coaches and players.

"It's been a revolving door," said St. Louis.

The pint-sized forward has been one of the constants. Unable to get his career off the ground in Calgary, St. Louis signed with the Lightning in 2000 and developed into a Hart Trophy winner, league scoring champion and Stanley Cup winner.

He is currently coming off one of the best seasons of his career -- winning the Lady Byng Trophy as the league's most gentlemanly player and finishing with 29 goals and 94 points.

"Today is a great day for the Lightning organization," Yzerman said in a statement. "Marty means so much to this franchise, both on and off the ice. His hard work and dedication are unsurpassed and we are thrilled that he will finish his career here in Tampa Bay."

Among the things that have been discussed since Yzerman took the job was his decision to leave St. Louis off the 2010 Canadian Olympic team. There are no lingering bad feelings.

"Yeah, yeah, we had a talk," said St. Louis. "Everything's good."

One of the reasons St. Louis wanted to sign a long-term extension in Tampa is so that he can be around to watch Steven Stamkos and the team's other young players develop.

He feels like things are heading in the right direction.

"I know that I'm going to have a chance at winning again," said St. Louis. "I'm telling you, we're going to do everything we can to get in the playoffs this year. And we should get in."

For a guy that has endured a tremendous amount of turmoil in recent years, that would feel pretty sweet.

"We've had so many bad articles written about the Lightning the past two, three years -- it's so draining," said St. Louis. "I think that Steve brings calm, he just kind of stops the storm. We're going to finally get some respect.

"I think that the bad weather is behind us."

St. Louis has been one of the most underrated players in the L for years, Simple as that.

Dan Ellis' stay in Montreal didn't last too long.

The goaltender has signed a two-year contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning, just two days after being acquired by the Canadiens. The new deal is worth $1.5 million per year.

The Habs acquired the 30-year-old Ellis on Tuesday (along with forward Dustin Boyd and future considerations), sending Sergei Kost*tsyn and future considerations to the Nashville Predators.

Ellis had a .909 save percentage and 2.69 goals against average in 31 games last season with the Preds.

It was generally believed that Ellis was looking for a more prominent role between the pipes than he would have had behind Carey Price in Montreal. When the Habs acquired Alex Auld on Thursday, it basically guaranteed that Ellis would be on his way to another team, and he signed with the Lightning shortly after.

Glendale, AZ (Sports Network) - The Phoenix Coyotes added scoring depth Thursday, signing veteran winger Ray Whitney to a two-year deal.

The 38-year-old Whitney, who recorded 21 goals and 58 points in 80 games for Carolina last year, will reportedly make $3 million per year with the Coyotes.

The Alberta native has notched at least 20 goals in each of his last four seasons and has registered 324 goals and 869 points over 1,072 NHL games. In addition to spending the last five seasons with the Hurricanes, Whitney has also played for San Jose, Edmonton, Florida, Columbus and Detroit during a career that began with the Sharks in the 1991-92 campaign.

Whitney's best regular season came in 2006-07 when he posted 32 goals and 83 points. He also tallied nine goals and 15 points in 24 playofff games for the Hurricanes during the club's Stanley Cup championship run in the spring of 2006.

"We are thrilled to sign Ray to a contract," said Phoenix general manager Don Maloney. "He is a terrific offensive player who will help us on the power play. He is a great leader in the dressing room with a Stanley Cup Championship to his credit and will instantly upgrade our offensive attack."

In other news, the Coyotes chose to buy out center Petteri Nokelainen on Thursday. The 24-year-old Finn combined for five goals and eight a.ssists in 67 games with Anaheim and Phoenix in 2009-10.

NEWARK, N.J. -- Hours after losing Paul Martin to the Pittsburgh Penguins, the New Jersey Devils quickly replaced him by signing veteran defencemen Henrik Tallinder and Anton Volchenkov.

New Jersey also added a new backup goalie, signing veteran Johan Hedberg to play behind Martin Brodeur.

Don Meehan, Tallinder's agent, confirmed on Thursday that the Swede had agreed to a US$13.5-million contract on the first day of the NHL's free agent signing period.

Devils president Lou Lamoriello confirmed the signings of Volchenkov and Hedberg.

Volchenkov spent the past seven seasons with the Ottawa Senators. He agreed to a six-year deal for $25.5 million.

Hedberg, who played with Atlanta last season, got a one-year, $1.5 million deal.

All three moves came after Martin signed a five-year, $25 million contract with Atlantic Division-rival Pittsburgh. Martin had earned $4.5 million in the final injury-plagued season of his contract with New Jersey.

The 31-year-old Tallinder had four goals and 16 a.ssists in 82 games last season with Buffalo. The stay-at-home defenceman has 20 career goals and 88 a.ssists in seven seasons with the Sabres.

Volchenkov, 28, is a tough defensive-minded defenceman, who has 16 goals and 78 a.ssists in his NHL career.

Hedberg went 21-16-6 with a 2.62 goals-against average. He will replace Yann Danis.

Thats basically the bulk of all the big deals done today.
 7 years ago '04        #152
TurboE 
space
space
well...I like the signing of Biron for 2 years under 2 mill...Christensen resigning for 2 years was ....i like Prospal coming back for 1 year at 1 mill base and another 1.1 mill in achievable bonuses....absolutely HATE the Boogaard signing for 4 years at 6.5 mill......i think the best signing was Derek Stepan to his first NHL contract out of the University of Wisconsin.......OVerall decent day for the Rangers i guess.....

...heard they might make a pitch for Frolov.....i just wish they could somehow rid themselves of Redden/Rosival/Drury/Brashear....we shall see how the rest goes though
 7 years ago '07        #153
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 TurboE said:
well...I like the signing of Biron for 2 years under 2 mill...Christensen resigning for 2 years was ....i like Prospal coming back for 1 year at 1 mill base and another 1.1 mill in achievable bonuses....absolutely HATE the Boogaard signing for 4 years at 6.5 mill......i think the best signing was Derek Stepan to his first NHL contract out of the University of Wisconsin.......OVerall decent day for the Rangers i guess.....

...heard they might make a pitch for Frolov.....i just wish they could somehow rid themselves of Redden/Rosival/Drury/Brashear....we shall see how the rest goes though
How does Sather still have a job for real?

He makes some of the worst signings .
 7 years ago '04        #154
TurboE 
space
space
 m-f said:
How does Sather still have a job for real?

He makes some of the worst signings .
a lot of Rangers fans ask that same question everyday man....its still a mystery
 7 years ago '10        #155
hockeysniper 
space
space
$923 | Props total: 0 0
at the caps front office right now. McPhee doesn't seem to realize that this team, in its present condition, can not f**king win a cup. We should've went out and did what Pittsburgh and New Jersey did (overpay for shutdown D-Man, Volchenkov would've been amazing to have in DC since he's always shutting down Ovie when he plays against us)
 7 years ago '07        #156
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 BrownBag said:
Burish and ladd are gone :(
Burish was garbage anyways, he was only good at talking s**t.

& Ladd isn't that big of a loss.
 7 years ago '07        #157
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 BrownBag said:
It just hurts more that they had to break up a championship team. Burish yeah wasn't that big of a help but ladd did help. Bowman is smart as hell so let's just see what they do with all these moves.
All I have too say is the Western power houses...Vancouver may well be the best team on paper right now.

San Jose
Lost: Nabakov, Blake, Malhotra.
Brought in: Nittymaki, MacIntyre, Wallin, Nichol, & Desjardins.

Chicago
Lost: Versteeg, Big Buf, Burish, Ladd, Sopel, Eager.
Brought in: Scott, Stalberg, Reasoner

Vancouver
Lost: Wellwood, Mitchell, Bernier, Grabner, Ryan Johnson (Hopefully Bieksa too)
Brought in: Ballard, Hamhuis, Malhotra, Oreskovich.

is it October yet?
 7 years ago '04        #158
TurboE 
space
space
die hard Rangers fan here.....BUT slowly becoming an Islander fan

Tavares/Okposo/Bailey/Schremp/Kabanov/Niederreiter....such an awesome group of young talent....plus they just signed former Ranger P.A. Parenteau
 7 years ago '07        #159
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
 TurboE said:
die hard Rangers fan here.....BUT slowly becoming an Islander fan

Tavares/Okposo/Bailey/Schremp/Kabanov/Niederreiter....such an awesome group of young talent....plus they just signed former Ranger P.A. Parenteau
Yeah man, my one buddy is good friends with Baileys younger brother...We went too a game last year and stayed at Okposo's house partied with them, we're going again this year for my birthday I think.

Islanders are going to be nasty within the next few years thats for sure.
 7 years ago '04        #160
TurboE 
space
space
thats awesome man....its gotta suck being a true islander fan and not having any success for so long but man it could be worth the wait with the kids this team has and is developing...exciting team to watch
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith passes Kobe for 12th all-time in 3 pointers made
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
4 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
62 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy