Jay-Z Says He's On Lil Wayne's Level, "..To Still Be Able To Compete At My Age, That's Rarefied Air"

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA 5 Players Who Were Lebron Before Lebron
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM         #1
7399 pageviews
115 comments

evici1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jay-Z Says He's On Lil Wayne's Level, "..To Still Be Able To Compete At My Age, That's Rarefied Air"

Jay-Z has explained why retirement talk is nothing more than gossip and how he is still competing at the same pace as artists like Lil Wayne in the new Rolling Stone issue.

Despite being 40 years-old, Young Hov says his competitive nature has not slowed down.

"One of the reasons I wanted to make Blueprint 3 was because of the challenge," Jay told the magazine in a cover story out this week. "We've seen people like LL [Cool J] have longevity, and we respect the heritage of what he's done, but it's not like, right now, he's competing on the same level as Lil Wayne. So for me to still be able to compete at that level at my age, that's rarefied air. It's never been done. I think the problem with people, as they start to mature, they say, 'Rap is a young man's game,' and they keep trying to make young songs. But you don't know the slang -- it changes every day. You can visit the topic, but these young kids live it every day, and you're just visiting. So you're trying to be something you're not, and the audience doesn't buy into that. And people wonder why. 'I made a great Southern bounce song!' You're from New York, and you're 70! Why are you bouncing?"

[pic - click to view]

Jay-Z Says He's On Lil Wayne's Level, "For Me To Still Be Able To Compete At My Age, That's Rarefied Air" | SOHH.COM

115 comments for "Jay-Z Says He's On Lil Wayne's Level, "..To Still Be Able To Compete At My Age, That's Rarefied Air""

8 years ago '06        #2
Affectz 131 heat pts131
space
space
$8,222 | Props total: 4508 4508
Give it up jay,u too em,your time is done.Make way for great artists such as wiz khalifa,drake,charles hamilton,fashawn and we cant forget about nipsey hustle,the next legends
 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM         #3
IKeepsItTrill100  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Affectz said:
Give it up jay,u too em,your time is done.Make way for great artists such as wiz khalifa,drake,charles hamilton,fashawn and we cant forget about nipsey hustle,the next legends
 8 years ago '04        #4
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,410 | Props total: 3471 3471
Jay-Z = MJ on the Wizards..

Overrated, washed up and doesn't belong anymore.
 8 years ago '04        #5
Ace Tu 6 heat pts
space
space
$2,246 | Props total: 215 215
 Affectz said:
the game needs em and jay. everyone u just listed aint f**kin w/ jay or em. u must be under 18
 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM         #6
IKeepsItTrill100  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 akademiks said:
Jay-Z = MJ on the Wizards..

Overrated, washed up and doesn't belong anymore.
He out of retirement, Jordan on the Wizards - Cam'Ron

8 years ago '07        #7
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,600 | Props total: 913 913
this ain't sports, n*ggas. it doesn't get harder to rap as u get older..like rappers got 40 times and s**t
 06-10-2010, 06:40 PM         #8
antdog  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Affectz said:
drake wiz charles ain't built to be no legends , fashawn raw but he still stuck underground and nipsey is just decent
 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM         #9
HotepSuns  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this n*gga is ALWAYS trying to throw LL under the bus....
 8 years ago '08        #10
The N 469 heat pts469
space
space
$45,574 | Props total: 17244 17244
Poor Camel he sees the end coming

[pic - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #11
DJ Maximum|M 48 heat pts48
space
space
$43,391 | Props total: 11743 11743
 Affectz said:
`stop it

give me jay and em anyday over those n*ggas

jay is still putting out quality music selling out arenas and still dictating whats going on in hip hop
 8 years ago '09        #12
kingstown04 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,544 | Props total: 87 87
 Affectz said:
why would Eminem and jay give it up when their still better then the ones you named and your artists are in their prime right now

8 years ago '07        #13
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,600 | Props total: 913 913
 HotepSuns said:
true
 8 years ago '04        #14
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,379 | Props total: 463 463
 Affectz said:
they got to make they own lane

all dem dudes (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CHARLES HAMILTON CAUSE LETS BE REAL, HE SUCKS) make dope music, but they not f**king with hov

dudes always wanna talk about these new n*ggas, but what have these new n*ggas done other then drop a s**t load of mixtapes and itunes albums?

when they start dropping classic albums then holla @ me

ain't nobody make way for jigga
 8 years ago '05        #15
roenomuzak 
space
space
space
$58 | Props total: 0 0
Sean and Marshall are the best period living right now you can't touch either one's track record Album for Album both have elevated to that next level so to say retire for either one of them would be a joke and an injustice to Hip Hop right now
 8 years ago '06        #16
javaughn1000 192 heat pts192
space
space
$2,814 | Props total: 3 3
 mt fuji said:
they got to make they own lane

all dem dudes (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CHARLES HAMILTON CAUSE LETS BE REAL, HE SUCKS) make dope music, but they not f**king with hov

dudes always wanna talk about these new n*ggas, but what have these new n*ggas done other then drop a s**t load of mixtapes and itunes albums?

when they start dropping classic albums then holla @ me

ain't nobody make way for jigga
:agreement6::agreement6:
 8 years ago '07        #17
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,678 | Props total: 16968 16968
 jslim said:
this ain't sports, n*ggas. it doesn't get harder to rap as u get older..like rappers got 40 times and s**t
Didnt read the whole article but from what i read....Yall boys focusing in on the WRONG THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jay Z has always understood rap isnt all about what you are saying. Its about reaching people. For a 40year old man to still be reaching the scope that he does is phenomenal. He is still one of the most popular rappers on earth that itself is RARE! Besides die hard hiphop heads who checking for the new KRS One and Rakim? Most mainstream listeners dont know who them cats are! I bet them cats can still put down some magnificent verses but you aint checking for them. Mainstream hiphop is all about being trendy. And for JayZ to still be big is a testament to his ability to compete and reinvent himself into a marketable product that people like and support.

He is not a business man..he is a BUSINESS, mann!
 8 years ago '08        #18
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,952 | Props total: 7360 7360
 Affectz said:
If that trash is what we have comin up next thats legendary, Jay should rap till hes 60 honestly.
 8 years ago '04        #19
D-Swift 
space
space
$1,039 | Props total: 89 89
LOL why this dude using LL as an example? Like foreal? If I was Jay I would just stay in my lane.....Or stay in Beyonce.
 8 years ago '07        #20
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
 HotepSuns said:
Yea LL had nothing to do w/ it but he was right about him.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
82 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
126 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
347 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
16 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy