This s**t is Serious. Traces of Lead and Arsenic in Protien Shakes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
39 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
128 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
51 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #21
patt24 52 heat pts52
space
space
$7,027 | Props total: 2568 2568
damn is it possible to get a copy and paste of the list in the thread, i only use bx @ work and we get blocked from almost everything, i cant see the links anyone posted...thanks in advance
 8 years ago '07        #22
dionedre3000 
space
space
$8,971 | Props total: 791 791
Well I got 2 tubs of Whey Protein......looks like they will be my last.
 8 years ago '05        #23
Woodwin 2 heat pts
space
space
$5,917 | Props total: 1487 1487
so all those s**ts got lead arsenic? f**k taking a little bit tlaking bout ill be straight just eat some more protein dense foods... I used muscle milk maybe like a year ago 1 tub i just wanted to see what the hype was but i aint bought nothing since.
 8 years ago '09        #24
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,432 | Props total: 1353 1353
 uceosilver said:
Let me jus say this, anyone that sees this and dont want to at least consider completely stopping is destroying themselves. I personally have been using this s**t for 3-4 years and I am never using a protien shake again. I used it extensively when i was studying for my MCATs for med school and I really gained muscle mass because of it. but i will stop using it. I used cytogainer and muscle milk. Yes the heavy metal content is only in trace amounts but if u understand biology a lot of the long term effects caused by these things is a result of accumulation of the substances over long periods of time. It takes a while for the body to dispose of heavy metals, and they can have an effect on your cells in whatever time period that is. And this applies to all shakes. I dont know if anyone has every isolated milk protien in chem class in college but i know that there is a heavy metal ion test used to test if the product is protien. here is a link to how the test works, its an orgo experiment on a webpage. might be a lil hard to understand for some: but its explained there. and it lists the metals lead(Pb), cadminum(cd), and mercury(Hg) among others. This may be where the traces come from. jus sayin. but any amount of lead or any heavy metal is no good whether it k!lls u immediately or not. My advice: eat more chikin.
Well for all the people who are swearing off of protein powders, how is chicken going to be an alternative. I could be wrong but I was taught that after lifting there is about an 1 hour time period that your body has to absorb protein for your muscles to take full advantage of the protein. Therefore, chicken would takes an hour or more to digest. Are there any more alternatives ?
 8 years ago '05        #25
Woodwin 2 heat pts
space
space
n*gga u act like people dont get built w/o protien shakes...i guess before protien shakes building muscle was impossible through a diet and exercise
 8 years ago '04        #26
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
 uceosilver said:
Let me jus say this, anyone that sees this and dont want to at least consider completely stopping is destroying themselves. I personally have been using this s**t for 3-4 years and I am never using a protien shake again. I used it extensively when i was studying for my MCATs for med school and I really gained muscle mass because of it. but i will stop using it. I used cytogainer and muscle milk. Yes the heavy metal content is only in trace amounts but if u understand biology a lot of the long term effects caused by these things is a result of accumulation of the substances over long periods of time. It takes a while for the body to dispose of heavy metals, and they can have an effect on your cells in whatever time period that is. And this applies to all shakes. I dont know if anyone has every isolated milk protien in chem class in college but i know that there is a heavy metal ion test used to test if the product is protien. here is a link to how the test works, its an orgo experiment on a webpage. might be a lil hard to understand for some: but its explained there. and it lists the metals lead(Pb), cadminum(cd), and mercury(Hg) among others. This may be where the traces come from. jus sayin. but any amount of lead or any heavy metal is no good whether it k!lls u immediately or not. My advice: eat more chikin.
This is paranoid talk...you need to look at all of this in perspective.

First of all, these metals at high concentrations exist in ALL foods unfortunately. The modernization of farming has introduced higher levels of metals in our diets within the last 100 years because of our increased use of fossil fuels, mining, product waste and countless amounts of sewage. Even organic farms use modern equipment and the environment of the surrounding areas introduces these metals into the soil in which food is grown and that food (corn, wheat, ect. ect.) is fed to livestock. So to all of a suddenly swear off protein powder seems a little naive on our parts.

After thinking about these findings, I think the majority of the problem might come from "flavoring" agents used in most of these powders. It seems like Muscle Milk and EAS, both more "average consumer" products probably use an abundance of artificial flavoring to make their powders not taste like s**t. What people don't know is that most of the Whey used in most these powders comes from the same 2-3 manufacturers, so the whey in itself isn't the problem, its the blend with other vitamins, minerals, other types of protein, ect. ect. that is causing these levels to be high.

Also, 3 servings, which is probably around 75-80grams of protein (at an average of 25g per scoop) is alot, but is also easily digested compared to the same amount of beef/chicken/fish. What I wish Consumer Reports would have done was also shown us a test of the same amount of comparable protein (beef/chicken/fish) from American grocery stores and ran the same test. I am going to a.ssume that those numbers would be more alarming then the numbers you see here, but I honestly don't know.

All that this proves to me is that protein Shakes are good as a supplementation to regular food. Too many people use it as a quick fix instead of eating. If you aren't taking 3-4 servings a day of powder, then you'll be fine, the amount of metals is probably no more than a 6 oz chicken brea$t for 1-2 scoops post workout.

These findings shouldn't make 75% of the people on here throw out their tubs, something tells me what you have for breakfast or lunch is just as "contaminated" if not more so then your protein.
 8 years ago '05        #27
Woodwin 2 heat pts
space
space
s**t if thats the case ima go vegetarian...is fruit and vegetables contaimentated to???
 8 years ago '09        #28
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
 Woodwin said:
n*gga u act like people dont get built w/o protien shakes...i guess before protien shakes building muscle was impossible through a diet and exercise
No, I didnt say that I was simply asking if there were other ways to intake protein quickly I know that I can bulk without shakes but its not nearly as efficient. And If you READ my post maybe you could of came up with a solution instead
 8 years ago '04        #29
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
 NcAlien said:
No, I didnt say that I was simply asking if there were other ways to intake protein quickly I know that I can bulk without shakes but its not nearly as efficient. And If you READ my post maybe you could of came up with a solution instead
I understand that shakes are the EASIEST way to get alot of protein, quickly, but I'd try and make an effort to keep supps under 25% of your total until more information is founded. I think this report is basically just telling you to be aware of which brands might contain alot of these metals since it's easy to get alot of protein in your body much faster then eating 2 pounds of chicken brea$t.

If you are concerned, then take those steps to limit your use(me personally, I'm intrigued, but not concerned to the point of throwing out tubs)

It looks like ON Nutrition comes out clean on this, so I would stick to a brand that has been tested and proven to have low amounts of these metals if you are really that worried about it. Switch your brand for a while and wait until more info comes out and these companies show you otherwise.
 8 years ago '05        #30
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,554 | Props total: 1156 1156
oh no everything is bad and will k!ll you.

fear. when you want to win over millions.
 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM         #31
The Muffin Man 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 carden2 said:
oh no everything is bad and will k!ll you.

fear. when you want to win over millions.
did you actually read the article....or were you attempting a joke

[pic - click to view]

06-03-2010, 12:10 AM         #32
tech5c 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If people would take the time to research things on their own then they would find this article pointless.

These metal levels are all well below FDA standard.

There is nothing "alarming" about this report.
 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM         #33
The Muffin Man 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tech5c said:
If people would take the time to research things on their own then they would find this article pointless.

These metal levels are all well below FDA standard.

There is nothing "alarming" about this report.
it's not the products themselves, but people using them in excess....especially when they receive a surplus amount of nutrients in their ordinary diet

not really the the industry's fault.....but restrictions will keep idiots from f**king up their kidneys and liver with long term overuse
 8 years ago '06        #34
dabigboi305 
space
space
$678 | Props total: 17 17
My myofusion is str8 n ima keep taking it .......btw yall get scared to damn easy only if yall knew about alot of this stuff smh like the clone meat we eat n etc. theres aot of alarming s**t out there
 8 years ago '09        #35
NcAlien 2 heat pts
space
space
 TheMagicMan said:
I understand that shakes are the EASIEST way to get alot of protein, quickly, but I'd try and make an effort to keep supps under 25% of your total until more information is founded. I think this report is basically just telling you to be aware of which brands might contain alot of these metals since it's easy to get alot of protein in your body much faster then eating 2 pounds of chicken brea$t.

If you are concerned, then take those steps to limit your use(me personally, I'm intrigued, but not concerned to the point of throwing out tubs)

It looks like ON Nutrition comes out clean on this, so I would stick to a brand that has been tested and proven to have low amounts of these metals if you are really that worried about it. Switch your brand for a while and wait until more info comes out and these companies show you otherwise.
Oh okay I re read and pulled the calculator out I have nothing to really workout I only take 1 scoop post workout 4 out of 7 days a week these levels would be relatively low and I also have a different flavor of muscle milk they didnt test so its metal content may be lower
 8 years ago '04        #36
LExingtonluv 
space
space
$397 | Props total: 0 0
There is no need for this stuff, imo.

One should be aware of the contaminations in other foods, to be sure... But, place that information in its own thread, to enlighten others, and cause MORE awareness, not promote an ignorant philosophy regarding a different aspect of food intake, perhaps in the body building section, but not in the ``health`` section, imo. I believe to take something that will allow for the accumulation of heavy metals in your body, which will only increase over the years, because other bad food has it, is not good advise.

The FDA is are not the most stalwart of organizations, in regard to disease prevention, and health optimization , the research is widely available, to that point.

Optimum health, imo, is achieved by the avoidance, as much as possible, of all of the contaminants that we find in our polluted environment. And, if impossible to avoid, the detoxification and removal of these elements from our bodies.
In the health section, one should promote avoidance...

Eg. If you want more protein, eat organic, lean meats to avoid the heavy metals found in both supplements and non organic meats. If you can`t afford said organic meats,(alot of people i imagine), and if you`re concerned with health first, as one in the health section should be, try raw bee pollen (really cheap, fulll of protein).
If you choose not too, than you should admit; wanting to remain ignorant, for financial reasons, lazyness to find a good health food store, or because of a desire to be a body builder, and not a proponent of optimum health.

No harm no foul, in that case... It is hard to remain healthy in this world, that is known to all. But, i belove we should still be striving for this goal, in the health section, and be decrying the conditions that attempt for force us not to be so, as opposed to giving into them and patting each other on the back about it...

My 2 cents ;)
 8 years ago '04        #37
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
Even though you went off topic, I'll address this anyways.

First of all, I personally don't see a difference from my goal to gain lean muscle mass, increase my strength and live a healthier lifestyle. Just because you take protein supplements doesn't mean you want to live the lifestyle of a "bodybuilder" and quiet frankly, that lifestyle is healthier then what 99% of our family, friends and peers eat. No one here seems to be at the level of competition where they need to do anything to an extreme that one could even consider unhealthy and most of the posters don't want to be body builders, they want to look good and be happy with their image. Replacing the snickers bar and chocolate milk with a protein shake or a quality protein bar is a solid change and a big enough step toward "avoidance" for most people.

With that being said, I believe in people living their lives as healthy as they can within their own personal goals and means, and thats the point of this section. The majority of American's can't stick to a simple diet, let alone a strict organic eating regimen. When people go from candy bars, cheeseburgers, and pizza to lean meats, fruits and vegetables, to harp on the source of their food is overkill and unnessecary.

Optimum health is more than just physiological, it's psychological, and for most people, striving to look good while making better food choices is a more realistic goal then eating raw vegetables and bee pollen. I eat healthier and cleaner then everyone that I know and I buy organic fruits and vegetables and lean cuts of meat, but to say that I eat 100% organic would be a stretch.

To not inform people on the news of health supplements that they might be taking is ignoring reality. Call them ignorant, lazy, or financially inept, but reality is what it is. Keeping people informed is the only goal here, not to push a lifestyle on them that they may or may not want.

LExingtonluv said:
There is no need for this stuff, imo.

One should be aware of the contaminations in other foods, to be sure... But, place that information in its own thread, to enlighten others, and cause MORE awareness, not promote an ignorant philosophy regarding a different aspect of food intake, perhaps in the body building section, but not in the ``health`` section, imo. I believe to take something that will allow for the accumulation of heavy metals in your body, which will only increase over the years, because other bad food has it, is not good advise.

The FDA is are not the most stalwart of organizations, in regard to disease prevention, and health optimization , the research is widely available, to that point.

Optimum health, imo, is achieved by the avoidance, as much as possible, of all of the contaminants that we find in our polluted environment. And, if impossible to avoid, the detoxification and removal of these elements from our bodies.
In the health section, one should promote avoidance...

Eg. If you want more protein, eat organic, lean meats to avoid the heavy metals found in both supplements and non organic meats. If you can`t afford said organic meats,(alot of people i imagine), and if you`re concerned with health first, as one in the health section should be, try raw bee pollen (really cheap, fulll of protein).
If you choose not too, than you should admit; wanting to remain ignorant, for financial reasons, lazyness to find a good health food store, or because of a desire to be a body builder, and not a proponent of optimum health.

No harm no foul, in that case... It is hard to remain healthy in this world, that is known to all. But, i belove we should still be striving for this goal, in the health section, and be decrying the conditions that attempt for force us not to be so, as opposed to giving into them and patting each other on the back about it...

My 2 cents ;)
 8 years ago '04        #38
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,138 | Props total: 9447 9447
I got that email too

Consumer Reports Find Dangerous Chemicals In Protein Shakes
June 3rd, 2010 - 6:46 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work -
June 3, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): It’s a bad news for people who depend on protein shakes heavily. These shakes which are marketed as a quick way to lose extra fat, build muscle etc. , do pose health risks and a lot of people who take them regularly might not be aware of it.
A new investigation by Consumer Reports has found dangerous chemicals in the protein shakes. They tested 15 protein shakes and uncovered that almost all of them contain one or more of metals like Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead, and Mercury. Out of the 15 shakes, three have major reasons for concern. The dangerous shakes include the EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake and two Muscle Milk powders - Vanilla Crème and Chocolate.
Both Arsenic and Cadmium were found in EAS Myoplex Original Rich Dark Chocolate Shake. The level of arsenic in this shake was 16.9 microgram which is higher the USP limit of 15 microgram. Even Cadmium was tested at 5.1 microgram, which is a little above the USP norm of 5 microgram.
The two Muscle Milk powders tested were found to contain all four of the heavy metals. The average levels of Cadmium in them were 5.6 microgram in three daily servings which exceeded the USP limit of 5 microgram per day. Lead turned out to be 13.5 microgram which was higher that the USP limit of 10 microgram per day whereas the average level of Arsenic at 12.2 microgram was approaching the USP limit of 15 microgram per day.
Urvashi Rangan, of the Consumer Reports explained that once they get into body, the heavy metals, , get metabolized, and tend to stay in the body for a long period of time.
The report advised that the people should opt for other sources of protein like milk, eggs, and grilled chicken for their daily protein intake instead of these harmful shakes.
More on Protein shakes & Consumer Reports : Consumer Reports Study Shows Protein Shakes Contain Dangerous Metals!
 8 years ago '04        #39
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
the point of all of this is Moderation

Too much of anything can be detrimental, you don't need 4 servings of protein powder daily...
 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM         #40
PUA Lifestyle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
f**k me good bye muscle milk
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
98 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
57 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
290 comments
1 day ago