J. Cole Vibe Interview "Drake & I, are not in the position to be best friends"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
43 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
5 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
77 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #1
10316 pageviews
43 comments

TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
J. Cole Vibe Interview "Drake & I, are not in the position to be best friends"

Posted the better questions the link for the rest of the interview is below...

What were Jay’s words when he first heard the single? (Who Dat)
He liked it a lot, said the beat reminds him of a Biggie's "Hypnotize." I believe him. That’s why they call him Hov [laughs].

Is an August release really what it’s looking like?
I haven’t been given a date, but that’s what it seems like. It could be September, who knows. I just throw that out there because of the way this single is going.

Do you have an album title?
Yeah, but it may change next week so I don’t want to put it out there yet. Fans keep saying, Cole World and The Blow Up, but neither of those are it. Four months ago I was sold on one, but it restricted me a little bit. And I was smart about it because I didn’t go shout out the title as soon as I had it. I know how the game works and people don’t really understand that I have the right to change my mind.

About a month ago, Drake mentioned the possibility of you jumping on a Thank Me Later bonus cut. Fact?
Man, me and Drake have been trying to get something done. Actually, if he reads this, tell him to send the s**t he supposed to send. [Laughs] I understand we both busy and we spoke about doing some s**t, but I guess schedule wise it hasn’t worked out. That would be ill, but as of now it’s not done.

What’s an actual conversation like between you guys? Is it past a ‘What’s good’ and ‘Congrats’?
It’s not that type of relationship yet. Right now, it’s a mutual respect, like I see what you’re doing, you’re k!lling the game, I’m a fan or whatever the case is. We’re both young and even though he’s more established and has hits, he still doesn’t have an album out. He still has to prep for that. So we’re not in the position to be best friends. We can save that for when we’re both laid up and chilling, but right now we both have work to do. There’s not many rappers who I feel I really know. I think Wale is one of the few that I have a real friendship with. Not saying that won’t happen with Drake because you never know, but right now it starts with respect.

No other industry friends you confide in?
Nah man. Even Wale… I don’t want to get that twisted like we have deep conversations about life. I just feel like I know him better than the others. I keep to myself by nature.

What was your reaction to the Nas cosign?
I don’t remain cool when I meet these people, I’m like a little kid. Actually, when I met Nas… this was before he gave me any props on video, probably like a month or two ago, he actually quoted one of my lines from the Kweli song. I was like ‘Man, don’t quote one of my lines. You don’t understand man.’ I was so genuinely appreciative. I f**king used to type Nas lyrics just to put up on my wall.

Going back to your album, you mentioned it being a lot of storytelling, what are some of those tales?
If you could imagine a town called Dreamville, which is really to me, a mixture of my hometown Fayetteville and the city of dreams, New York. So it’s like this fictional town where the story takes place and within this setting there’s all these different aspects of life. Whether it’s the main character’s issues, family issues, relationship issues and then there’s this whole other issue of him trying to accomplish his goals. Prison issues, family members locked up. I see it like a movie.

Is this a concept that runs throughout the entire album?
Yeah, for the most part, but it’s not a literal concept album. It’s kinda like The Warm Up, but a little deeper. A continuation of that concept.

Is the album just about finished?
I could be done tomorrow if they said that’s the deadline. I have too many songs. That’s the problem at this point.

Does too many songs mean we would get a mixtape before the album?
Probably not. I don’t have throwaway joints. So if I put out a mixtape it’s going to be better than somebody’s album. If I’m serving you a meal, I don’t want to give you an appetizer that’s just as filling as the meal. I’d rather give you a banging-ass meal and then possibly come with some good-ass dessert.

So what you’re saying, is you’d like to starve us a bit?
[Laughs] Exactly. And I guarantee people are going to appreciate it, maybe without even knowing it. They’re going to appreciate that I didn’t stuff them and over do it.
FULL INTERVIEW:

[pic - click to view]

http://www.vibe.com/jcole .. -like-im-drake

I think this pretty much deads the whole "he's taking shots at Drake on Who Dat" image

Last edited by TH35; 05-18-2010 at 11:28 PM..

43 comments for "J. Cole Vibe Interview "Drake & I, are not in the position to be best friends""

8 years ago '09        #2
klm1015 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,689 | Props total: 189 189
lol at the thread title
someone really wanted people to check out their thread
 8 years ago '09        #3
Lupe Hunter 77 heat pts77
space
space
$15,519 | Props total: 5708 5708
"So we’re not in the position to be best friends. We can save that for when we’re both laid up and chilling, but right now we both have work to do". He didn't mean anything disrespect. Why does everybody want to see a rap beef between the two?

Last edited by Lupe Hunter; 05-18-2010 at 11:30 PM..
 8 years ago '07        #4
TH35 103 heat pts103 OP
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
 klm1015 said:
lol at the thread title
I posted what was on the cover I don't give a s**t about the them beefing, but they're not. It's just like you having that s**t in your sig.
 8 years ago '09        #5
Lupe Hunter 77 heat pts77
space
space
$15,519 | Props total: 5708 5708
 joeyb8420 said:
n*ggas f**kin mad that he cant be as talented as drake and have that drake buzz
 8 years ago '08        #6
LegalTrappeRx 39 heat pts39
space
space
$9,703 | Props total: 91 91
 Lupe Hunter said:
"So we’re not in the position to be best friends. We can save that for when we’re both laid up and chilling, but right now we both have work to do". He didn't mean anything disrespect. Why does everybbody want to see a rap beef between the two?
must want to see some light skinned beef or something

I don't know why people do s**t like this, neither one of these rappers have disrespected each other, so why try to start beef between the two?
 05-18-2010, 11:36 PM         #7
ATF Fresh 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
misleading quote...
 8 years ago '04        #8
Ace Tu 6 heat pts
space
space
$2,246 | Props total: 215 215
i bet he calls his album dreamville, that concept sounds dope as hell
 8 years ago '05        #9
TIGER HOODS 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,042 | Props total: 1 1
 Ace Tu said:
i bet he calls his album dreamville, that concept sounds dope as hell
Sounded good didnt it?
 8 years ago '04        #10
ImamThug187 6 heat pts
space
space
$5,623 | Props total: 8 8
 8 years ago '10        #11
beast mode 25 heat pts25
space
space
$13,973 | Props total: 1798 1798
j cole is not dope,dude is average,the bar for rap is so low these days
 05-19-2010, 01:26 AM         #12
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
drake got jay cole....
 05-19-2010, 01:32 AM         #13
Got Cheeve? 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he's skilled no doubt. but he brings nothing new or unique. he's cool to listen to sometimes. it's whatever.
 05-19-2010, 01:40 AM         #14
THE TAKEOVER 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cant wait for the album...jcole>>>your favorite new emcee
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '07        #15
MiseryCityTexas 19 heat pts19
space
space
space
$20,601 | Props total: 4206 4206
 klm1015 said:
lol at the thread title
well its nice to see that vibe magazine is back to being gossiping a.ss b**ches again. vibe's misquotes were the main reason why the east and west coast beefs popped off in the first place.
 8 years ago '09        #16
A2P89 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,488 | Props total: 54 54
Vibe You’ve been on a lot of other people’s tracks, but it’s usually not the reverse. Is that changing for your debut?

Cole:Right now there’s really no big features on my album and I plan on keeping it like that. I kinda like the idea of having an album that’s all me. If I do a feature, I want to do it because I really love it, not because they’re what’s hot now. I want to do a track with Rich Boy, even though his last single to blow was a couple years ago. But I still want to work with him because he has an incredible rap style. I could be like Jeezy’s on fire, let me get him, but that’s not how I operate. If I do a feature it really has to make sense, not that I don’t want to work with Jeezy, because I would love that, but you know [laughs]

rich boy j cole planning a collaboration? i'm boosted..
 05-19-2010, 04:41 AM         #17
g.o.a.t91 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Gonna be beast regardless.
 8 years ago '05        #18
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,335 | Props total: 1692 1692
lol @ the cover of Vibe, them dudes really want people to think there's beef between J. Cole and Drake.
 8 years ago '04        #19
mt fuji 17 heat pts17
space
space
$11,379 | Props total: 463 463
lol @ j.cole being average

dude not only held his own on that reflection eternal track, he might have had the best verse on it

in fact i have yet to hear this kid drop a s**tty verse

dude s dumb nice

and all this drake vs cole beef s**t is tiring

lol @ "light skinned beef"
 8 years ago '05        #20
youngvito18 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,786 | Props total: 4729 4729
It’s not that type of relationship yet. Right now, it’s a mutual respect, like I see what you’re doing, you’re k!lling the game, I’m a fan or whatever the case is. We’re both young and even though he’s more established and has hits, he still doesn’t have an album out. He still has to prep for that. So we’re not in the position to be best friends. We can save that for when we’re both laid up and chilling, but right now we both have work to do. There’s not many rappers who I feel I really know. I think Wale is one of the few that I have a real friendship with. Not saying that won’t happen with Drake because you never know, but right now it starts with respect.

good answer i guess but is it me or does it seem the people on boxden and the media in general wants to put j.cole against drake.......
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
136 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
166 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
49 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
111 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
150 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Nov NPD: PS4 wins, COD wins, Xbox Makes Money.
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy