Apr 25 - Stephen Hawking says that humanity should avoid any contact with Aliens

most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
64 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA BIG BALLER BRAND JUST SHUT DOWN NYC TODAY :mjomfg:
19 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
22 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #1
6579 pageviews
87 comments

Ole-G 347 heat pts347
space
space
$10,235 | Props total: 13 13
Apr 25 - Stephen Hawking says that humanity should avoid any contact with Aliens

THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.

The suggestions come in a new documentary series in which Hawking, one of the world’s leading scientists, will set out his latest thinking on some of the universe’s greatest mysteries.

Alien life, he will suggest, is almost certain to exist in many other parts of the universe: not just in planets, but perhaps in the centre of stars or even floating in interplanetary space.

Hawking’s logic on aliens is, for him, unusually simple. The universe, he points out, has 100 billion galaxies, each containing hundreds of millions of stars. In such a big place, Earth is unlikely to be the only planet where life has evolved.

“To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational,” he said. “The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like.”

The answer, he suggests, is that most of it will be the equivalent of microbes or simple animals — the sort of life that has dominated Earth for most of its history.

One scene in his documentary for the Discovery Channel shows herds of two-legged herbivores browsing on an alien cliff-face where they are picked off by flying, yellow lizard-like predators. Another shows glowing fluorescent aquatic animals forming vast shoals in the oceans thought to underlie the thick ice coating Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.

Such scenes are speculative, but Hawking uses them to lead on to a serious point: that a few life forms could be intelligent and pose a threat. Hawking believes that contact with such a species could be devastating for humanity.

He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

The completion of the documentary marks a triumph for Hawking, now 68, who is paralysed by motor neurone disease and has very limited powers of communication. The project took him and his producers three years, during which he insisted on rewriting large chunks of the script and checking the filming.

John Smithson, executive producer for Discovery, said: “He wanted to make a programme that was entertaining for a general audience as well as scientific and that’s a tough job, given the complexity of the ideas involved.”

Hawking has suggested the possibility of alien life before but his views have been clarified by a series of scientific breakthroughs, such as the discovery, since 1995, of more than 450 planets orbiting distant stars, showing that planets are a common phenomenon.

So far, all the new planets found have been far larger than Earth, but only because the telescopes used to detect them are not sensitive enough to detect Earth-sized bodies at such distances.

Another breakthrough is the discovery that life on Earth has proven able to colonise its most extreme environments. If life can survive and evolve there, scientists reason, then perhaps nowhere is out of bounds.

Hawking’s belief in aliens places him in good scientific company. In his recent Wonders of the Solar System BBC series, Professor Brian Cox backed the idea, too, suggesting Mars, Europa and Titan, a moon of Saturn, as likely places to look.

Similarly, Lord Rees, the astronomer royal, warned in a lecture earlier this year that aliens might prove to be beyond human understanding.

“I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms we can’t conceive,” he said. “Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains.”

[pic - click to view]

Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking - Times Online

I really hope I will still be alive when this s**t happens

87 comments for "Apr 25 - Stephen Hawking says that humanity should avoid any contact with Aliens"

8 years ago '07        #2
JoeDoe22 50 heat pts50
space
space
$4,116 | Props total: 230 230
 Ole-G said:

I really hope I will still be alive when this s**t happens
Why? Did you read that s**t? If something like that were to happen I hope its at least one day after im gone.
 8 years ago '07        #3
Ole-G 347 heat pts347 OP
space
space
naaa man, we gotta see this...the humanity never experienced anything like that before, and I want to be a part of it...
it just seems lame to die without seeing a f**king alien
 8 years ago '07        #4
Ole-G 347 heat pts347 OP
space
space
JUST WATCH THIS LITTLE INTERVIEW

[video - click to view]

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a head of Illuminati...
his response and smile in the end scared the s**t outta me
 8 years ago '10        #5
hockeysniper 
space
space
$923 | Props total: 0 0
 Ole-G said:
naaa man, we gotta see this...the humanity never experienced anything like that before, and I want to be a part of it...
it just seems lame to die without seeing a f**king alien
id rather live 70 years and not come into contact with aliens than die at 40 due to an alien murdering me and my planet.....i mean humans can't even unite themselves, what makes you think our relationship with aliens would be peaceful?
 8 years ago '07        #6
Ole-G 347 heat pts347 OP
space
space
I didn't say the outcome would be peaceful... if the interaction occurs, I'm 100% sure that humans will f**k it up by making a stupid a.ss move which will make aliens pissed as hell
 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM         #7
mixtape mutt 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
What the name of his show on Discovery? I'd like to watch that
 8 years ago '09        #8
Vincent_Chase 27 heat pts27
space
space
$10,820 | Props total: 719 719

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by Vincent_Chase; 04-25-2010 at 12:38 PM..
 8 years ago '07        #9
Ole-G 347 heat pts347 OP
space
space
 stillers09 said:
how the hell does he talk? i dont see his hands or anything moving
he's talking via brain..I know it sounds weird, but this motherf**ka is on another level
 04-25-2010, 01:03 PM         #10
ItachiUchiha 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Man he brings up good points. When I think of contact with aliens I always picture a benevolent species.... Then again we're a relatively 'intelligent' species yet look at the destruction we've caused.
 8 years ago '08        #11
DUCE 141 heat pts141
space
space
$10,551 | Props total: 537 537
aliens were already here, we called them "gods"

sumeria wuddup, annunaki i see u
 04-25-2010, 01:58 PM         #12
Ed Bundy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
whos smarter, michio kaku or stephen hawking?
 8 years ago '07        #13
Just1Spark 
space
space
$2,234 | Props total: 75 75
 cuddyduce said:

:cool-smiley-009:
 8 years ago '06        #14
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,975 | Props total: 3992 3992
He's absolutely right 100% I'm glad this was posted so the morons running around here thinking there ARE no aliens can shut up (not that this is definite proof, but rather great logic). I think the concept of aliens and UFO's has been ridiculed and laughed at so much that the whole idea has become a travesty. That alone makes people not take it seriously and think of the actual SCIENCE of it.

cuddyduce said:

^ This man knows what he's talking about. Read Erich Von Daniken's books, people. That man's a genius.

Anyway, Hawking k!lled it with these quotes:

"To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational."

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet."

"Just as a chimpanzee can’t understand quantum theory, it could be there are aspects of reality that are beyond the capacity of our brains."
He's right.
 8 years ago '05        #15
EastBroadway 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,494 | Props total: 5 5
We Are The Aliens.
 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM         #16
pr03583 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ole-G said:
JUST WATCH THIS LITTLE INTERVIEW

I wouldn't be surprised if he's a head of Illuminati...
his response and smile in the end scared the s**t outta me
how did he become like that?

man that mofo a alien right there s**t... sometimes the s**t is right infront of our eyes and we dont even realize it
 8 years ago '06        #17
layzie8171 42 heat pts42
space
space
$9,538 | Props total: 199 199
ya its all very realistic, mars, titan moon around mars when we do explore there some s**t will pop up. and also i feel in the ocean way way down deep, we dont have the equipment to explore as far down i kno that something, some kind of species lives down there that is beyond what we can imagine, it reminds me of the movie the abyss, when we do have major contact i just hope either side doesnt get power hungry and lead the the end of a race, which it will more than likely be us
 8 years ago '05        #18
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,440 | Props total: 7081 7081
I am pretty sure if you believe that Earth is home to the only life in the entire universe, I will stop taking your opinion on any matter serious. If any of my friends blatantly told me that they thought there is no chance of alien life, I probably would not be able to respect them enough to maintain a friendship with them from that point on. Even if I did remain friends with them, I would not take their opinion into consideration when having a discussion about anything, no matter the subject, with a group of friends from that point on.

There are other life forms out there. We are not alone. The probability that this statement I have just made is true is 99.999999%.

Now that i've said that, my opinion on what Mr.Hawking is saying...

While the meeting between humans and some other form of INTELLIGENT alien life-form could potentially be catastrophic and lead to the end of our civilization, I believe the potential benefits that could come from that meeting FAR outweigh the negatives. Well...that may be a bit of an overstatement considering the cons could be the extinction of the human race . But you know what i'm saying. I find it much more LIKELY that if we would meet an alien life-form that we would be able to learn from eachother.

Think about that for a minute....if we could develop some form of middle-ground when it comes to communication, and try and understand eachother, the benefits would be monumental. We would be able to exchange HISTORIES. Hell this life-form may have existed much longer then us and have an incredibly more interesting history then ours, they may have encountered other life-forms from other galaxies before encountering us. The potential for knowledge in this situation is limitless. They may be infinitely more intelligent then us, and have been exploring the universe for thousands of years and because the universe is so vast, they just had not come across our little galaxy yet. Or maybe they are very unintelligent creatures, far less intelligent then us, but have just been around for millions of years longer then us so they developed the same type of technology we did, it just took them a few extra million years to accomplish that. Maybe we meet them in our galaxy during there travels, or maybe once human kind starts actually exploring space, and not just exploring our galaxy, we run into eachother out there.

Imagine for a moment that experience....we are drifting through space, exploring the galaxy and all of a sudden we pick up a blip on the radar, they pick up a blip on theres. They both radio in to headquarters asking if any ships are scheduled to be in this area. Both headquarters inform the ships that that is an unidentified ship. Do they approach eachother? Do one of them make a hasty decision and fire on the other? Do they try and send some sort of radio waves out to communicate with eachother? (Note neither of us would obviously understand the others language so that seems highly unlikely.)

That, right there, would be the changing point in history, if we could somehow show that we were friendly, and they showed the same, perhaps by flashing lights of some sort? (Thats a.ssuming the race on the other ship has eyes and can detect lights.). They say that the point we meet with an intelligent species out there, that will be the single greatest moment in the history of mankind. I'm about to post up an image at the end of this post. Its a good read. But I want to quote something from it..."Most historians and scientists agree this would be the most important moment in all of human history. In fact, its generally accepted that in generations to come, all of history would be divided into 'pre-contact' and 'post-contact' eras instead of the BC/AD distinctions we use now."

Its THAT epic that it would change the way we recorded time. We could learn so much from eachother. I definetly think the "potential pros" of contacting aliens outweigh the "potential cons."

And to end my post, i'm gonna put up a comical little picture that teaches you what YOU should do if YOU just happened to be the first human being ever to encounter alien life (Say you got abducted or something.) (Click the link, then click the photo to zoom.)

(Sorry for the long read by the way, I'm bored and its Sunday )

Last edited by ReppinDaBurghh; 04-25-2010 at 06:14 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #19
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,002 | Props total: 771 771
"Civilized" humanity has existed on Earth for less than 20,000 years. Our solar system is only 5 billion years old, while the universe is 13.7 billion years old. It's not hard to imagine that there are alien societies that have been civilized for millions, if not billions, of years. That makes our 20,000 years a fraction. Think about what we've done over the last 100 years in terms of technological innovation and then think about what we could have done with millions more years.

Needless to say, there are likely aliens out there that could do whatever the hell they want to do with us, and they wouldn't even have to break a sweat, a.ssuming they have sweat glands, :grin2:.
 8 years ago '04        #20
deziking 78 heat pts78
space
space
$19,525 | Props total: 5070 5070
Yo he's right about the part where humanity is increasing and that there won't be space for humans on earth or something like that and that we would have to expand to outer space which is f**king sick.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
86 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
39 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Fans Find Doo Doo Condoms and Lube While Digging into Zac Efrons Trash!
227 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
68 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside XXXTentacion gets 7 more charges added to his case and asks fans to sho..
90 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
128 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
50 comments
18 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Black In Crew: Chicago Baddie & Potential “No PullOut” Candidate
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy