NFL Seahawks imploding :mjlol: Bobby Wagner letting Earl Thomas know
41 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
vida guerra
52 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
145 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM         #1
15001 pageviews
11 comments

stu-j 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cutting up - My first cut after bulking

Yo, i've been bulking for just over a year now, and with the summer coming up I feel its time to start cutting up.

My trainer in the gym has put together a workout for me which is longer than the previous ones, with a lot more reps based on a lower weight.

Now the thing is, i've heard that you generally lose muscle when cutting up if not done correctly - which is something i'd obviously rather not do! so can anyone offer any advise as how to cut correctly, losing minimal muscle whilst getting ripped at the same time?

I'm still taking whey protein, and I do about a 20 minute run after each workout.

Should I still be eating a lot of meals or do I need to cut down on that too?

Much appreciated

11 comments for "Cutting up - My first cut after bulking"

8 years ago '09        #2
Jacc Blacc 55 heat pts55
space
space
$25,316 | Props total: 7974 7974
dont cutting focus on a calorie deficit

if you have a "trainer" shouldnt he be telling you how to cut properly????
 8 years ago '04        #3
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
you need to eat at least 500 calories under your maintenance and you need to lift with low reps, heavy weight...

The only thing you should be changing from your "bulk" is how much you eat. If your previous workout was working, why would your trainer change it?
 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM         #4
stu-j  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
na man he's not a personal trainer, he's basically a guy who works at the gym and puts together workouts for people that need them, thats basically it!

TheMagicMan, low reps and heavy weight? thats what i was doing before when bulking, and as far as i'm aware this compared with high reps and lighter weights are 2 completely different workouts both giving completely different results.

He changed this up about a week ago saying that this would get me cut/ripped, which is obviously what most people want for the summer!

All i want to know is if i do this, would it make me lose what i've already got or simply 'bring it out' more? And at the same time, with me doing a different workout does it mean me having to change up the way I eat?
 04-18-2010, 05:35 PM         #5
WestSide22  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you have to eat less then you take in. You might still lose some muscle but you will notice it more as you lose fat.
 8 years ago '04        #6
TheMagicMan|M 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,619 | Props total: 4 4
 stu-j said:
na man he's not a personal trainer, he's basically a guy who works at the gym and puts together workouts for people that need them, thats basically it!

TheMagicMan, low reps and heavy weight? thats what i was doing before when bulking, and as far as i'm aware this compared with high reps and lighter weights are 2 completely different workouts both giving completely different results.

He changed this up about a week ago saying that this would get me cut/ripped, which is obviously what most people want for the summer!

All i want to know is if i do this, would it make me lose what i've already got or simply 'bring it out' more? And at the same time, with me doing a different workout does it mean me having to change up the way I eat?
There shouldn't be a difference to your lifts whether you are bulking or cutting.

Muscles don't become more "defined" by lifting light weight, thats nonsense, the only way muscles get more defined is by losing fat, and the best way to lose fat is to eat under maintenance and lift heavy a.ss weights (and throw some cardio in there too).

Its all about the amount of food you eat. Where you gaining muscle on your bulk? Were you getting stronger? If you were, that means your workout is working. You can't gain muscle unless you eat to gain muscle, so if you eat less and still lift heavy, your body will use what it has to sustain your muscle mass.

By lifting light weights, i can guarantee that you'll lose 60% fat and 40% muscle on your cut, where if you change your diet and keep lifting hard, the number will be more like 85% far and 15% muscle.

But to answer your question, change your diet. You can lift how you want, im just letting you know that you'll be less than happy in your results when you're done. Cutting is 90% diet, 10% workout...

Last edited by TheMagicMan; 04-18-2010 at 06:55 PM..
 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM         #7
stu-j  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TheMagicMan said:
There shouldn't be a difference to your lifts whether you are bulking or cutting.

Muscles don't become more "defined" by lifting light weight, thats nonsense, the only way muscles get more defined is by losing fat, and the best way to lose fat is to eat under maintenance and lift heavy a.ss weights (and throw some cardio in there too).

Its all about the amount of food you eat. Where you gaining muscle on your bulk? Were you getting stronger? If you were, that means your workout is working. You can't gain muscle unless you eat to gain muscle, so if you eat less and still lift heavy, your body will use what it has to sustain your muscle mass.

By lifting light weights, i can guarantee that you'll lose 60% fat and 40% muscle on your cut, where if you change your diet and keep lifting hard, the number will be more like 85% far and 15% muscle.

But to answer your question, change your diet. You can lift how you want, im just letting you know that you'll be less than happy in your results when you're done. Cutting is 90% diet, 10% workout...
in this case its a good job i found out this soon enough, just to give you an idea, the workout i done today was this:

Superset;
-Lat pull down (15/4)
-Swimmer pull down (15/4)

-Seated row (12/4)
-Pull ups (10/4)
-21's (4)
-Incline curl (12/4)
-Twist curl (12/4)

now with there being quite a high number of reps, naturally i had to k!ll the weight by quite a bit to be able to lift them. So you're saying that by doing this i'm actually gonna lose muscle?

if thats the case then f**k this, i need to get myself a new routine for the month.

i'm not gonna lie, at the end of it i'm feelin tired, so what benefits would i be gaining from doing a workout such as his instead of the old 6/5, if any??

appreciate the advice man
 04-19-2010, 02:46 AM         #8
MrAmazing  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Wow......can we get some compound movements in there? MY guess is that, you could be alot stronger and bigger, if you actually did some movement that will get you there. I haven't seen your whole workout routine...so maybe you do get some of these in here....but do you do:

squats
cleans (power/squat)
snatch
deadlift
bench (im sure you do this....as all males do)
Press
Jerk
Overhead squats

etc etc.

implement some of those. cut back on the useless curls and 21's. You will gain a new-found strength.
 04-19-2010, 07:53 AM         #9
stu-j  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MrAmazing said:
Wow......can we get some compound movements in there? MY guess is that, you could be alot stronger and bigger, if you actually did some movement that will get you there. I haven't seen your whole workout routine...so maybe you do get some of these in here....but do you do:

squats
cleans (power/squat)
snatch
deadlift
bench (im sure you do this....as all males do)
Press
Jerk
Overhead squats

etc etc.

implement some of those. cut back on the useless curls and 21's. You will gain a new-found strength.
yeah i've been doing all of that previously, thats why when he changed it up to look like above i was kind of confused, surely the routine i posted would just make me lose strength? and if not then what benefits does it give me?
 8 years ago '04        #10
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,117 | Props total: 597 597
Post up your current exercise/weight lifting routine and diet.

:wtf: is a 'twist curl'?
 8 years ago '05        #11
carden2 15 heat pts15
space
space
$13,557 | Props total: 1193 1193
snatch :dancingcool:

but what are jerks
 8 years ago '04        #12
Lucifer|M 13 heat pts13
space
space
$18,279 | Props total: 66 66
 carden2 said:
snatch :dancingcool:

but what are jerks
He probably means, push press
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
95 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
126 comments
24 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
85 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
58 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
178 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
On the Late Night vol. 17
23 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
82 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
70 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy