Is "A Serbian Film" the most shocking film of all time?

most viewed right now
 108
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
57 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 80
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
26 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 75
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
8 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 68
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
313 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 7 years ago '05        #161
mattdogg444 
space
avatar space
space
$14,498 | Props total: 719 719
 persuazion said:
lol I was telling a friend at work about this movie and he just gave me a f**ked up look and said " dude......cant you get arrested for watching stuff like that?"


hahahahaha same here, a guy said the same thing to me when i told him bout it
 08-16-2010, 02:06 AM         #162
antdog 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
link it up
 7 years ago '06        #163
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
avatar space
space
$20,980 | Props total: 3537 3537
I downloaded the a screener copy a while ago but couldn't watch it after reading this thread....might watch it tonight after the Boondocks but that's a BIG might...


[code]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UCNUHWSS[/code]

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=UCNUHWSS
 7 years ago '05        #164
JimDinO77 14 heat pts14
space
avatar space
space
$22,103 | Props total: 4236 4236
:wow: wtf did i just watch......
 7 years ago '04        #165
Exs 153 heat pts153
space
avatar space
space
$5,791 | Props total: 1359 1359




some movies just dont need to be seen


this is one em...


the last 15 minutes are quite repulsive


the baby scene was too fake lookin to affect me.... as was the machete scene...


But as for a man
[spoiler - click to view]




it was a lil overboard and just an extreme ripoff of Oldboy<<< a movie that had taste and was just as shocking


Last edited by Exs; 08-25-2010 at 10:09 AM..
 7 years ago '05        #166
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,844 | Props total: 4142 4142
After finally giving up, and watching it, it is every bit as disgusting and gross and graphic as it was told to me. However, my big question was always "why?"... Not why in a "this is so horrible and grotesque" way. But more so in a "what does this story line or the characters have to do with this big over-arching metaphor, and why should I care" sort of way.

Really, it felt a whole lot like when I saw Hostel in theaters, I was just kinda bored by it all. It was pretty pointless. This is just pure crass shock value trying to make itself seem like something more. It kinda pisses me off when filmmakers pull the whole "it's a metaphor for a larger message" card out of their a.sses as an excuse to justify the f*cked up sh*t that was on screen... But, the even worst thing is that THIS. IS. F*CKING. BORING. Sh*t, you could at least make it jolt-worthy or make it visceral and crazy. But, it's just dumb. I've seen more disturbing episodes of "Goosebumps".

Really, the big gross scenes like the
[spoiler - click to view]

and the
[spoiler - click to view]

and the
[spoiler - click to view]

seemed like worthless window dressing for an obvious lack of story, or character arc, or purpose. Therefore, it didn't affect me, it didn't leave me feeling awful or dirty, it didn't leave me feeling shaken. It just left me kinda "MEH" after watching it.

This sh*t gets a 3.0 out of 10, and that's being generous.


Last edited by DaOmega_1; 09-17-2010 at 07:27 PM..
 09-18-2010, 06:46 AM         #167
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Love when people bring morality into cinema, stick to what you are comfortable with.
 7 years ago '08        #168
Gmengfx 75 heat pts75
space
avatar space
space
$12,652 | Props total: 1221 1221
i love how everyone is rating this movie based off the trailer





no s**t the trailer is gonna be tammed

i no bx tho..if someone has a good review for something saying it is twisted or f**ked up..your inner bx..is just gonna make you hate..hate..hate

go into the film ..not being able to wait to post..OMG THAT WAS SO LAME..


but if you sit back..get into it..not be all distracted by typing as your watching..its a sick f**king film..come on...raping your own f**kn son..accidently..the f**k outta here nasty
 09-18-2010, 10:05 AM         #169
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gmengfx said:
i love how everyone is rating this movie based off the trailer





no s**t the trailer is gonna be tammed

i no bx tho..if someone has a good review for something saying it is twisted or f**ked up..your inner bx..is just gonna make you hate..hate..hate

go into the film ..not being able to wait to post..OMG THAT WAS SO LAME..


but if you sit back..get into it..not be all distracted by typing as your watching..its a sick f**king film..come on...raping your own f**kn son..accidently..the f**k outta here nasty
The movie isn't good by any stretch, but the morality of it isn't the issue, its more the technical flaws of a first time film maker.

This movie isn't Hollywood, it isn't supposed to appeal to things you feel are right or make you feel good, its supposed to make you think. Those that don't want to think about what is on screen and only want to be spoon fed emotions and morals should avoid this film, I don't understand why you would watch it expecting the director to appeal to the conventional audience.

If you are asking 'why would he show us these things?' then you are surely thinking, but then ask yourself 'why does this affect my judgment on the film?'. Clearly your preconceived notions of what is right for cinema to show is blinding you from seeing the purpose of the images Spasojevic projects on the screen, it is not real, think about that for a second. In no way am I defending the film, but its very immature to claim that he is sick for making a work you don't understand.
 09-18-2010, 10:07 AM         #170
phillyCANNON 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
After finally giving up, and watching it, it is every bit as disgusting and gross and graphic as it was told to me. However, my big question was always "why?"... Not why in a "this is so horrible and grotesque" way. But more so in a "what does this story line or the characters have to do with this big over-arching metaphor, and why should I care" sort of way.

Really, it felt a whole lot like when I saw Hostel in theaters, I was just kinda bored by it all. It was pretty pointless. This is just pure crass shock value trying to make itself seem like something more. It kinda pisses me off when filmmakers pull the whole "it's a metaphor for a larger message" card out of their a.sses as an excuse to justify the f*cked up sh*t that was on screen... But, the even worst thing is that THIS. IS. F*CKING. BORING. Sh*t, you could at least make it jolt-worthy or make it visceral and crazy. But, it's just dumb. I've seen more disturbing episodes of "Goosebumps".

Really, the big gross scenes like the
[spoiler - click to view]

and the
[spoiler - click to view]

and the
[spoiler - click to view]

seemed like worthless window dressing for an obvious lack of story, or character arc, or purpose. Therefore, it didn't affect me, it didn't leave me feeling awful or dirty, it didn't leave me feeling shaken. It just left me kinda "MEH" after watching it.

This sh*t gets a 3.0 out of 10, and that's being generous.


You obviously didn't get it. It has plenty of purpose and it uses those "shocking" things as a metaphor. But nevermind.
 7 years ago '05        #171
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,844 | Props total: 4142 4142
 phillyCANNON said:
You obviously didn't get it. It has plenty of purpose and it uses those "shocking" things as a metaphor. But nevermind.
No, I get what they were going for, I understand that. I just don't think the movie succeeded in the slightest in getting that message across. It's just pointless and stupid. If this is supposed to be just shock value for the sake of shock value, at least tell me. But, they're trying really hard to dress it up as something deeper WHEN ITS NOT. It's not deep, it's not metaphorical. It's just exploitation, and nothing more. It seems like the folks who are REALLY trying to defend this film are trying to inject their own "concepts" into the film, since the film itself is completely devoid of actual real context.
 09-18-2010, 07:57 PM         #172
phillyCANNON 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
No, I get what they were going for, I understand that. I just don't think the movie succeeded in the slightest in getting that message across. It's just pointless and stupid. If this is supposed to be just shock value for the sake of shock value, at least tell me. But, they're trying really hard to dress it up as something deeper WHEN ITS NOT. It's not deep, it's not metaphorical. It's just exploitation, and nothing more. It seems like the folks who are REALLY trying to defend this film are trying to inject their own "concepts" into the film, since the film itself is completely devoid of actual real context.

I wrote a review on the movie and sent it to the filmmakers, and they agreed with most of the points I alluded to. Even if the themes I brought up WEREN'T in the director's mindset, it is in the eye of the beholder , in the way you can interpret the visuals etc. I found the movie to be extremely disturbing and powerful. You seriously believe the scene with the baby was not necessary? Because it is. In a later scene, when Milos is being filmed with the woman handcuffed to the bed, the filmmaker enrages Milos with the "idea" the woman is responsible for abandoning her children, etc. Similar to the later scene when he is filmed with the little girl and her grandmother, and they say her father was k!lled in "the war" and needs a father figure.


Hype k!lls certain movies, and I feel A SERBIAN FILM is being overhyped in its violence - the movie thrives on the s3xual depravity, but it goes hand in hand with Serbia's war atrocities. To say it's nothing more than exploitation is an obvious reaction, but it's unfounded. It's not shock value for the sake of shock value, since it gets its point across in many ways - it's extreme, but the themes are there.
 09-18-2010, 09:09 PM         #173
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
No, I get what they were going for, I understand that. I just don't think the movie succeeded in the slightest in getting that message across. It's just pointless and stupid. If this is supposed to be just shock value for the sake of shock value, at least tell me. But, they're trying really hard to dress it up as something deeper WHEN ITS NOT. It's not deep, it's not metaphorical. It's just exploitation, and nothing more. It seems like the folks who are REALLY trying to defend this film are trying to inject their own "concepts" into the film, since the film itself is completely devoid of actual real context.
Sounds like you are trying to look for something deep, art can be perceived in different ways that doesn't mean its trying to be 'deep'.

I don't think its trying hard to dress anything up you just look at it with the wrong frame of mind, the same loose mood you view those films you review should be the same here, but you went in expecting more than it actually was and blame the film on that which doesn't make sense.
 7 years ago '04        #174
Mista Mizatti 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$10,458 | Props total: 868 868
Raping a newborn, come on theres no way in hell I'm even giving that a chance.
 7 years ago '04        #175
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
 Jasonb619 said:
Dunno how you would want to see this.. it sounds horrible from what Ive read



Spoilers Below...



[spoiler - click to view]




I'm watching this s**t but it's 11:30 and i don't wanna go to sleep with this in my mind
 7 years ago '05        #176
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,844 | Props total: 4142 4142
 phillyCANNON said:
I wrote a review on the movie and sent it to the filmmakers, and they agreed with most of the points I alluded to. Even if the themes I brought up WEREN'T in the director's mindset, it is in the eye of the beholder , in the way you can interpret the visuals etc. I found the movie to be extremely disturbing and powerful. You seriously believe the scene with the baby was not necessary? Because it is. In a later scene, when Milos is being filmed with the woman handcuffed to the bed, the filmmaker enrages Milos with the "idea" the woman is responsible for abandoning her children, etc. Similar to the later scene when he is filmed with the little girl and her grandmother, and they say her father was k!lled in "the war" and needs a father figure.


Hype k!lls certain movies, and I feel A SERBIAN FILM is being overhyped in its violence - the movie thrives on the s3xual depravity, but it goes hand in hand with Serbia's war atrocities. To say it's nothing more than exploitation is an obvious reaction, but it's unfounded. It's not shock value for the sake of shock value, since it gets its point across in many ways - it's extreme, but the themes are there.
I'm not disagreeing that the themes are there... You're not reading my statement. I'm saying that, for me, the film failed to present those themes in a fashion that made me care about what happened to the characters, and what happens in the story. When I watch it, I don't see those themes presented, I don't see those points. I know those points are there, but I don't see them presented in a way that makes me connect the s3xual depravity to those themes. With films like these, it's a delicate balance. It's extremely delicate, and in my own humble opinion, it failed to keep that balance of theme and content in check, therefore, it failed at getting its point across TO ME. It's not unfounded, if there isn't a balance between the themes and the content, why should I give a f*ck about the themes at all?

 smokeweed101. said:
Sounds like you are trying to look for something deep, art can be perceived in different ways that doesn't mean its trying to be 'deep'.

I don't think its trying hard to dress anything up you just look at it with the wrong frame of mind, the same loose mood you view those films you review should be the same here, but you went in expecting more than it actually was and blame the film on that which doesn't make sense.
Really? Reading review after review after review saying "OH! This film has some deep sh*t to say", it is presumable that I watched this expecting those "deep" themes to be there, and they weren't. I will admit, maybe I'm being hard on this film more than others, but that is because of what's presented in the film, and what it sets out to be, which is the big overarching metaphor.... And, to me, it fails at being that.
 7 years ago '07        #177
kyhoopsgoat 418 heat pts418
space
avatar space
space
$18,667 | Props total: 4418 4418
This movie is , people not even giving it a chance are def. missing out!

Like I stated 4 pages ago, this movie is actually a masterpiece of theater.
 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM         #178
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Really? Reading review after review after review saying "OH! This film has some deep sh*t to say", it is presumable that I watched this expecting those "deep" themes to be there, and they weren't. I will admit, maybe I'm being hard on this film more than others, but that is because of what's presented in the film, and what it sets out to be, which is the big overarching metaphor.... And, to me, it fails at being that.
True but sometimes reviews miss the point anyways, if I rated Inception based on the 'smartest movie ever, mindf**k, complex sci-fi' reviews I would call it s**t, but since I took my own perspective during the film I realized that it wasn't what it was labeled, but it still worked in other aspects.

Honestly I don't agree with the reviews either, it still makes a statement and works in its own way, as I have said I think the movie has huge technical flaws that bring it down, but the subject matter or violence hardly is the problem with A Serbian Film.
 7 years ago '06        #179
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
avatar space
space
$54,082 | Props total: 18897 18897
yeah f**k that.....I ain't tryin to see that bulls**t....
 7 years ago '08        #180
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$5,877 | Props total: 1157 1157
Okay, I just read the overall scene by scene synopsis on wikipedia and my mind needs cleansing! I think for horror standards that is the most genius plot ever! And when I say Horror I mean Horrible/evil/nightmarish s**t that you would never wish upon another human!

For those still saying I wanna go watch this, here are 2 excerpts from the synopsis: 1)
[spoiler - click to view]



2)
[spoiler - click to view]




I will still try to see it for horror, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish!
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 59
Steph Kegels
112 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 48
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
118 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 37
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 37
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 35
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
119 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 30
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
76 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 27
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
169 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 23
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
38 comments
20 hours ago
@news
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy