Are Southern rappers lyrically challenged? (article)

most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
93 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
65 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
109 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
80 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #61
KeepinItTrill 30 heat pts30
space
space
$49,191 | Props total: 15010 15010
 TeddyGramz said:
Its a good amount of southern folks that can rap
But there are way more wack n*ggaz from the south that they get over shadowed
I agree with this 100 %
 8 years ago '07        #62
KeepinItTrill 30 heat pts30
space
space
$49,191 | Props total: 15010 15010
 pacer said:
It's just slower down south in all aspects whether it be rap, fashion, economy etc. They're still trying to catch up with other parts of the U.S.A. Still in 2010.
ppl are more laid back down here, doesn't mean they're slower

what kind of stupid statement is that? slap yourself
 8 years ago '09        #63
klm1015 10 heat pts10
space
space
$5,689 | Props total: 189 189
 MyZ28 said:
This is why im hot.....
Chicken noodle soup w/ a soda on the side.....
2 songs out of many classics
 04-08-2010, 11:47 AM         #64
OnlyOriginality 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 kidbrosweets said:
I didnt think i needed to post a gucci video. Or a sold out luda video rapping like he's from young money, or a wakka video.

Ti makes good music but isnt a good rapper

The only n*gga that can rap from the south is J.cole and i really dont even consider him form the south
Tell you what, when you listen to more southern artists then the ones you just named, artists such as Big K.R.I.T., Alley Boy, k!ller Mike, any UNDERGROUND southern hip hop artists and let me just throw dungeon fam in there. If you come back with the same outlook on southern hip hop that you have now, then you close-minded 4 real

pacer said:
It's just slower down south in all aspects whether it be rap, fashion, economy etc. They're still trying to catch up with other parts of the U.S.A. Still in 2010.
Naw man we just on our own s**t. We may take a lil from here and there but we still keep it original. So naw we aint tryin 2 catch up wit ya'll we jus do what we do. In the south we dont give a damn about catchin up with yall we just do what we do and thats how we do.
 8 years ago '04        #65
shadow_boxer 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,275 | Props total: 812 812
Roscoe dash and travis portor aint southern rap i refuse to consider that ish music anyone on bx can do wut they do. I just wanna slam their necks in a door crushin their adam's apple so i don't have to hear their annoying lil voices anymore
 8 years ago '04        #66
GoldynChyld421 
space
space
space
$7,953 | Props total: 706 706
Wackness knows no boundaries, no state lines, no color or creed... If you suck at something, it doesn't matter where you were born, you suck.
 8 years ago '04        #67
e117v1 
space
space
$1,361 | Props total: 30 30
 MyZ28 said:
This is why im hot.....
Chicken noodle soup w/ a soda on the side.....
Chicken Noodle Soup was by a 16 yr old girl (at that time)....
Does that one even count?
 8 years ago '04        #68
e117v1 
space
space
$1,361 | Props total: 30 30
 klm1015 said:
2 songs out of many classics
@ the avy....took me a few to get it, thought it was a jazz album cover at first.
 8 years ago '04        #69
gov'ner 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,075 | Props total: 5 5
 TeddyGramz said:
Thats not true it did nothing for Soulja Boy
He tried to expand his vocab and use big words but yet and still no one thinks hes lyrical :dancingcool:
rap is about perception, that n*gga came out on that ignorant party s**t... so no one takes his use of the thesaurus seriously

pacer said:
ever hear of Miami? oh wait the south stops at Georgia.... oh and while where at it, what about DC? ever heard of the mason dixon line... please shut the f**k up about the south
 8 years ago '09        #70
420Sosa 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,337 | Props total: 922 922
 gov'ner said:
rap is about perception, that n*gga came out on that ignorant party s**t... so no one takes his use of the thesaurus seriously

ever hear of Miami? oh wait the south stops at Georgia.... oh and while where at it, what about DC? ever heard of the mason dixon line... please shut the f**k up about the south
I understand where u comin from but M.I.A. doesn't have that southern feel to it(palm trees, sand beaches) D.C. got more recognition but it still aint recognized cause aint nobody giving light to it ya know??
 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM         #71
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Southern hip-hop fans say that Northern hip-hop is lacks style.
 04-08-2010, 09:41 PM         #72
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 420Sosa said:
I understand where u comin from but M.I.A. doesn't have that southern feel to it(palm trees, sand beaches) D.C. got more recognition but it still aint recognized cause aint nobody giving light to it ya know??
See that's the thing: every time Miami is brought up in a conversation about lyrics, you guys are quick to say, "that's not the South." It's like you guys are looking for southern artist to sound and act a certain way. Everyone in the South doesn't sound the same.

Truthfully, I don't listen to the music that's coming out of California or Georgia. And now if it wasn't for Joe Budden, I would have gave up on rap.

I got love for Miami, though.

[video - click to view]

8 years ago '09        #73
420Sosa 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,337 | Props total: 922 922
 gov'ner said:

8 years ago '06        #74
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,218 | Props total: 756 756
D.C is the south? i know the whole mason dixon line thing..but the dmv does not have that southern feel AT ALL
 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM         #75
BIGthingsSON 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 OnlyOriginality said:

Naw man we just on our own s**t. We may take a lil from here and there but we still keep it original. So naw we aint tryin 2 catch up wit ya'll we jus do what we do. In the south we dont give a damn about catchin up with yall we just do what we do and thats how we do.
No your not, the whole southern swag is just watered down west coast s**t. From the grillz to the dreads, the south is just a extremely watered down Cali in my opinion. No offense to the Cali dudes round.
 04-08-2010, 11:16 PM         #76
donmeca2020 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ima florida boy and i gotta say "YES" they are lyrically challenged... not only are their songs just straight BLAH but some of these cats from down south make up their own words, and be honest some s**t i heard im just like WTF did he just say ? whatever happen with ol school wu tang rza's verse from triumph "Socrates philosophies and hypothesis lyrically perform armed robbers? That right were was real hip hop that had meaning and you could actually say damn that s**t sound dope, Not bust it baby god everytime i heard s**t i changed the station or wanted to vomit.,,
 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM         #77
jay da 5-9 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KeepinItTrill said:
ignorant muthaf**ka

and get off Royce's d*ck f**got
get off my d*ck, you b**chmade homo. i'm on royce's d*ck? i barely even post here, retard...and i've never even said one word about royce on this board. you really are dumb. thanks for proving me right.
 8 years ago '07        #78
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
I wouldn't call our rappers challenged in any way except who they are expected to cater to. It is frustrating to categorize rappers by region when dealing with lyrical capability. The South is the largest region with many variations from city to city. It's also the fastest growing region in America. A deeper look into the way hip hop has progressed within each individual city would make for a stronger article and analytical study. The predominant focus in the South when considering a rap style is obviously club-friendly music, but why? Why are sub-par, less creative rappers first to get the spotlight when artists emerge from the South? Are execs pinpointing stereotypical stock characters to uphold the archetypal image of the simplistic, Southern individual? Is it the listeners who push for the image and sound because they are admittedly boxed in(mentally)? That's what the writer should have delved into instead of patting foot on the doorstep of whatever issue she has observed.

It may be hard to get a deal if you are a young rapper from Dallas who tries to rap like Nas. Your community and popular labels wouldn't outright want to invest in you because they expect and want the Dallas image of rappers like Dorrough and Tum Tum who use simpler lyrics and concepts. The responsibility to getting your s**t heard would fall in the hands of you and your organization. The quality of your sound would have to alleviate the stress of the opposition to your creativity. Many can't bridge gaps and create those types of sounds so they settle for quantity(money and opportunities) over quality.

There is good and there is bad. It's all a matter of opinion.

Last edited by Playa; 04-08-2010 at 11:35 PM..
 04-09-2010, 03:41 AM         #79
OnlyOriginality 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BIGthingsSON said:
No your not, the whole southern swag is just watered down west coast s**t. From the grillz to the dreads, the south is just a extremely watered down Cali in my opinion. No offense to the Cali dudes round.
Man you out you mind if you think that. The South was the folks who started bass in the trunk, sittin tall and makin the parkin the club and dreads is the south, especially in GA, the only person from cali I seen with dreads is Mac Dre and when I say ONLY, take it literally and grillz..? We stayed with the gold teeth and gold chains. Ain't no one in the south worried about cali, true ya'll had that gangsta s**t we could identify with and that's was when we didnt have a voice but even with that we did our own s**t. Now am I right or am I right?

Nyuzi said:
I wouldn't call our rappers challenged in any way except who they are expected to cater to. It is frustrating to categorize rappers by region when dealing with lyrical capability. The South is the largest region with many variations from city to city. It's also the fastest growing region in America. A deeper look into the way hip hop has progressed within each individual city would make for a stronger article and analytical study. The predominant focus in the South when considering a rap style is obviously club-friendly music, but why? Why are sub-par, less creative rappers first to get the spotlight when artists emerge from the South? Are execs pinpointing stereotypical stock characters to uphold the archetypal image of the simplistic, Southern individual? Is it the listeners who push for the image and sound because they are admittedly boxed in(mentally)? That's what the writer should have delved into instead of patting foot on the doorstep of whatever issue she has observed.

It may be hard to get a deal if you are a young rapper from Dallas who tries to rap like Nas. Your community and popular labels wouldn't outright want to invest in you because they expect and want the Dallas image of rappers like Dorrough and Tum Tum who use simpler lyrics and concepts. The responsibility to getting your s**t heard would fall in the hands of you and your organization. The quality of your sound would have to alleviate the stress of the opposition to your creativity. Many can't bridge gaps and create those types of sounds so they settle for quantity(money and opportunities) over quality.

There is good and there is bad. It's all a matter of opinion.
Damn you used so many big words. I couldn't understand a damn thing you typed. Next time dumb it down. But all jokes aside, and all the way. Ya'll keeping gettin mad at the south as a whole and play into these corporate bacon smelling folks who stick a generality on our region that ya'll know aint true, everyone down here aint no dope boy, everyone down here aint polo'd out and swagged up. Trust me that bull they feed ya'll thats portraying the south, aint the south. Believe me.
 04-09-2010, 08:02 AM         #80
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mintz said:
D.C is the south? i know the whole mason dixon line thing..but the dmv does not have that southern feel AT ALL
See, this is how the majority of people think. They're expectations of the south are misconstrued.
Like Nelly once said, "What you think we live on a farm?" I'm from Florida, and South Florida doesn't really have the typical southern feel.

Does that not make it southern? No. It just means things are changing. Once Atlanta becomes as diverse as Miami, they won't have the same feeling. D.C. compared to Miami, D.C. feels more southern than Miami.

It's going to take a long time to heal from the aftermath of the Civil War, whether we like it or not, that was the cause of most of this. While cities like New York flourished in diversity, southern cities were the total opposite.

To quote J.Cole: "Neighborhood feels like it's still segregation." Yes, there are still cities that are racially divided. Unlike New York, where you can step out side and see people of different ethnic groups, some cities all you can see is your kind all day.

There are no libraries in these neighborhoods, English is their first language (and they don't care to master it), they can't get jobs, so they smoke and drink to forget about everything.

And, if you are not into Hip-Hop, if you're not into conscious thinking, if you're not into life long learning and bettering yourself, you can't be reached. Most people stop educating themselves after high school, which is a big mistake.

Last edited by Sam Rothstein; 04-09-2010 at 08:03 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
44 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
290 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
46 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
38 comments
2 days ago