Are Southern rappers lyrically challenged? (article)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
149 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
95 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
160 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '05        #1
6703 pageviews
102 comments

stanis3k 31 heat pts31
space
space
$4,531 | Props total: 276 276
Are Southern rappers lyrically challenged? (article)

There civil war is at hand. Enemy lines are drawn. The battles are everywhere. It’s North vs. South –brother against brother, friend against friend. There’s no Confederate Gray or Union Blue, but the gulf that separates the regions is just as deep. The continent at stake? The hip-hop Nation.

Northern hip-hop fans argue that Southern hip-hop lacks substance lyrically. Southern hip-hop fans say that Northern hip-hop is lacks style. Who’s right?

Anyone with access to VH-1 knows about hip-hop’s well-documented, Bronx, NY origins. You know about Afrika Bambataa, Sugarhill Gang, LL Cool J, Run DMC, KRS-ONE, Rakim, Jay-Z, Nas also, Big L, Big Pun, Notorious B.I.G., and other rappers who live in posthumous glory. Then, there was the Wu-Tang Clan with all its nine members, The Lox, from which Jadakiss came. Respectively from nearby Jersey and Philly came, Naughty By Nature, The Fugees, Stetsasonic, The Roots, Beanie Sigel, and Freeway. And so on and so on.

The South, in the famous words of André 3000, had something to say. First, the Geto Boys and Scarface, pushed the boundaries of what we knew gangsta rap to be.
Later came ATL’s finest: Outkast, Goodie Mob, and well, the whole Dungeon Family collective. Then there was T.I., and Ludacris. New Orleans gave us Lil’ Wayne and we can thank North Carolina for Little Brother whose member Phonte, also built Foreign Exchange.

And while all Northern rappers were not lyrical powerhouses, the South had something to explain.

Like Miami b00ty bass, courtesy of Luke and the 2 Live Crew, 95 South and 69 Boyz, whose super s3xual call and response was less than substantive. There was also a void left by other one-hit wonders too numerous to name like Rich Boy with “Throw Some D’s On It.”

Crunk didn’t do much for rhyme power in the South. While former A&R, Lil Jon was an astute businessman, the bulk of his lyrical content could be summed up in three words: yeah, O.K., what!

Recently, club faves like Travis Porter and Roscoe Dash’s “All the Way Turnt Up” and Gucci Mane’s “Wasted” have come to epitomize what is happening in the South. Others have received enormous amounts of shine off the strength of one single: Soulja Boy with “Crank That” and Waka Flocka Flame’s consonant compromised “Oh Let’s Do It.”

Recently, a friend of mine attended a party outside of Atlanta only to recall patrons saying they don’t want to “think” while they’re listening to the music; the beat is all that matters. There may be some truth to this. Films like ATL portray a simpler time in teen life where weekends were dominated by skate parties and late night grub at the Waffle House – not necessarily the kind of atmosphere that creates hardcore verses.

Still, life was not all fun and games. Atlanta was definitely not insulated from the realities of drugs and crime in urban America.

Carrying the banner of the Southern streets are the on again, off again feuding, Gucci Mane and Jeezy, who drop quotables for the dope boy set. Some consider them strong lyricists –Gucci’s “So Icey’s” notwithstanding.

Southern heads with underground sensibilities can look to the musical diversity of B.o.B. and the Kanye-endorsed skills of Prynce CyHi. Still, they may not be able to shake the perception that Southern rap is much more about feeling than thinking.

[pic - click to view]

link

102 comments for "Are Southern rappers lyrically challenged? (article)"

8 years ago '04        #2
#1nasfan 
space
space
$11,850 | Props total: 5193 5193
one-hit wonders too numerous to name like Rich Boy with “Throw Some D’s On It.”
Damn why she throw the homie under the bus, he had 2 or three hits from that album I wouldn't call him a one-hit wonder, yet, quite a few people still checkin for his music
 8 years ago '05        #3
MyZ28 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,155 | Props total: 1260 1260
This is why im hot.....
Chicken noodle soup w/ a soda on the side.....
 8 years ago '06        #4
Dapper Don 
space
space
space
$861 | Props total: 0 0
they may have lyrics, but who can understand them?
 8 years ago '06        #5
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
There are talented lyricist in the South too. These generalizations are getting old. Just like people from the North, Midwest, West feel like their artist are better and more talented than garbage like Waka, Gucci, and Soulja Boy...so do we. There are slept on lyrical beast down here too. Just so happens, the wack n*ggas are hot now.

To each his own though. There's a demand for simple flows and hot tracks. Can't knock that. But lets not say "the South" is wack just because a handful of sub-par artist are getting highlighted. The artist and the content won't change until the demand does. That ain't regional.
 8 years ago '06        #6
luckluck 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,907 | Props total: 97 97
I understand the sentiment, but this was a very poorly written article. Sounds like a 10th grade English paper.
 04-07-2010, 09:25 AM         #7
ike85 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 myz28 said:
this is why im hot.....
Chicken noodle soup w/ a soda on the side.....
shut ur trap
 8 years ago '06        #8
"SS" 28 heat pts28
space
space
$10,241 | Props total: 4831 4831
 luckluck said:
I understand the sentiment, but this was a very poorly written article. Sounds like a 10th grade English paper.
exactly it touched on a little of everything and elaborated on nothing, s**t seems like the opening paragraph with no body whatsoever
 8 years ago '10        #9
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,732 | Props total: 19629 19629
 hood135 said:
There are talented lyricist in the South too. These generalizations are getting old. Just like people from the North, Midwest, West feel like their artist are better and more talented than garbage like Waka, Gucci, and Soulja Boy...so do we. There are slept on lyrical beast down here too. Just so happens, the wack n*ggas are hot now.

To each his own though. There's a demand for simple flows and hot tracks. Can't knock that. But lets not say "the South" is wack just because a handful of sub-par artist are getting highlighted. The artist and the content won't change until the demand does. That ain't regional.
Did you read the article? Several southern lyricists were mentioned. However I believe the artice is about what you touched on. There isn't enough lyrical powerhouses in the mainstream originating from the south to erase the stigma.
 8 years ago '06        #10
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,218 | Props total: 758 758
no b/c the dungeon family,the cunninlynguists, scarface,little brother, jay elect and a lot more are all nice southern rappers and groups

Last edited by Mintz; 04-07-2010 at 09:51 AM..
 8 years ago '10        #11
space
space
 Mintz said:
no b/c the dungeon family, scarface,little brother, jay elect and a lot more are all nice southern rappers
Wow. I'm not here to defend the artice, but how can you speak on something you didn't read? Second post...
 8 years ago '06        #12
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
 Hovi Bryant said:
Wow. I'm not here to defend the artice, but how can you speak on something you didn't read? Second post...
nah i didn't i read the title and yes i put my 2cents...don't really care either to be totally honest
 04-07-2010, 09:56 AM         #13
jay da 5-9 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it's because most of the people in the south are dumb so the dumb rappers that get into making music make dumb music to cater to all the dumb people in the south.

i know somebody's gonna be mad about that.
 8 years ago '10        #14
space
space
 Mintz said:
nah i didn't i read the title and yes i put my 2cents...don't really care either to be totally honest
No offense, but not many make it that far in life with that logic.
 04-07-2010, 10:06 AM         #15
FS ent 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i just dont understand all the criticism when it comes to southern music...if you dont like the s**t, just ignore it like it don't exist

at least thats what the majority of southern people do with northern music....when we can't feel it we just ignore the s**t
 8 years ago '06        #16
hood135 2 heat pts
space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
 Hovi Bryant said:
Did you read the article? Several southern lyricists were mentioned. However I believe the artice is about what you touched on. There isn't enough lyrical powerhouses in the mainstream originating from the south to erase the stigma.
Yeah i did but what i posted wasn't really aimed at the article though. More so at the clowns who think that the South is only about simple lyrics and good beats. It was a premeditated shot at them before they posted the same ole garbage.

And I agree. The real lyricist aren't making the airways like they should. Instead, the same ole s**t is being put out there and its misrepresenting what music in the South is all about.
 8 years ago '05        #17
thisisme 
space
space
space
$741 | Props total: 77 77
Dont care bout North or South, but they left out alotta of Southern rappers to make the North look better. How you leave out n*ggahz like

Chamillionaire
Slim Thug
Z-Ro
Bun B
Big Boi
Devin the Dude
I can go on and on

Then name every decent rapper from the last 20 years from the North??????
 8 years ago '10        #18
space
space
 thisisme said:
Dont care bout North or South, but they left out alotta of Southern rappers to make the North look better. How you leave out n*ggahz like

Chamillionaire
Slim Thug
Z-Ro
Bun B
Big Boi
Devin the Dude
I can go on and on

Then name every decent rapper from the last 20 years from the North??????
This is becoming frustrating. Third post.
 8 years ago '06        #19
Mintz 12 heat pts12
space
space
 Hovi Bryant said:
No offense, but not many make it that far in life with that logic.
lmao seriously? let me rephrase this for you seeing how you can't grasp it no offense....i don't really care about stuff thats not important..case and point this article or most things posted on this site

Last edited by Mintz; 04-07-2010 at 10:24 AM..
 8 years ago '10        #20
space
space
 Mintz said:
lmao seriously? let me rephrase this for you seeing how you can't grasp it no offense....i don't really care about stuff thats not important..case and point this article or most things posted on this site
That doesn't help change my opinion at all whatsoever. You say you don't care yet you take out some of your time to provide input? Do you even understand what you even think?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
16 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
106 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
61 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
201 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
114 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy