Could Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" suck? Review inside...

most viewed right now
 130
Steph Kegels
68 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 120
Kevin Hart X-mad card
28 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
 91
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
102 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 62
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
236 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM         #81
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
How old are you.......just saying alot of people that I know that dident like the first one were to young to remember it and ended up watching it way later and not appreciating it as much.I understand everybody having their own opinion but Burtons Batman was just a whole different take on it then Nolans and your giving it 0 credit.....Im saying I like both movies....both are great Batman films in their own right......you have a more comic like over the top version and you have a more realistic version.....
Age shouldn't be used as an argument for discussing art. My mid 30's brother will rather watch Avatar and Dark Knight over anything made before the 90's.
 8 years ago '04        #82
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,217 | Props total: 2114 2114
 smokeweed101. said:
I was thinking more a long the lines of: Mullholland Drive, Eraserhead, Lost Highway, Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Videdrome, nekkid Lunch, Belle De Jour, Phantom of Liberty, Un Chien Andalou, L'Age D Or, Holy Mountain, and El Topo.

Throw in Gilliam's Brazil, Twelve Monkey's, and Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Maya Deren's Meshes of The Afternoon, and Federico Fellini's 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, and Satyricon, Alain Resnais' Last Year At Marienbad, and Polanski's Le Locataire and Repulsion.

Puts Burton out of business with ease IMO.
still......in all those movies you named its a different kind of strange then Burtons.....Im saying hes unique in the kind of imagery he gives flicks and none of those match the style he uses....many of those are great films but different and strange in their own rights....
 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM         #83
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
still......in all those movies you named its a different kind of strange then Burtons.....Im saying hes unique in the kind of imagery he gives flicks and none of those match the style he uses....many of those are great films but different and strange in their own rights....
I was going by what you said earlier:

"but to do these strange kind of movies and add that certain kind of imagery to them.......hes the best at that."

You never specified what exactly you meant by strange movies with I a.ssume good imagery. If you mean Burton specific films then yes Burton is the best at making Burton films, how could he not? If you meant strange films in general then you have a list of those I see superior.
 8 years ago '05        #84
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
 persuazion said:
How old are you.......just saying alot of people that I know that dident like the first one were to young to remember it and ended up watching it way later and not appreciating it as much.I understand everybody having their own opinion but Burtons Batman was just a whole different take on it then Nolans and your giving it 0 credit.....Im saying I like both movies....both are great Batman films in their own right......you have a more comic like over the top version and you have a more realistic version.....
Nah, I've seen them all, and grew up on Burton's films. But, more and more as I watch them, there are just aspects to it that I've grown to just not like at all. Maybe, it's just that I'm a guy that champions realism over over-the-top type of stuff unless I know that is what I'm getting so I can prepare myself for it.
 8 years ago '04        #85
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,217 | Props total: 2114 2114
 smokeweed101. said:
I was going by what you said earlier:

"but to do these strange kind of movies and add that certain kind of imagery to them.......hes the best at that."

You never specified what exactly you meant by strange movies with I a.ssume good imagery. If you mean Burton specific films then yes Burton is the best at making Burton films, how could he not? If you meant strange films in general then you have a list of those I see superior.
no, I said films that have the kind of imagery in them that Burton films do...whether it be... dark,goth,fantastical,whatever you want to call it......not just "good imagery"
 03-03-2010, 11:45 AM         #86
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
no, I said films that have the kind of imagery in them that Burton films do...whether it be... dark,goth,fantastical,whatever you want to call it......not just "good imagery"
You mind listing these films and directors who make gothic fantasy films?
 8 years ago '05        #87
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
 Peterparker said:
this is my theory and my post probably won't get you to see the original Batman in any different way...if there were no Burton film..there would be no Dark Knight..how can you have such a big problem with Burton's film when Nolan took so many storylines from the original Batman..

Nolans Batman is overhyped...yep I said it OVERHYPED..the lore of Heath Ledgers death attracted movie goers more.."Your nobody to somebody k!lls you"..that's not to say Heath isn't a great actor..he did a great Joker..matter fact the only scenes I really like in Nolans batman where the scenes with Joker..and if you ask most ppl about Nolans Dark Knight most ppl will say Joker..

Keaton was more of a factor in Batman then Bale was...in Dark Knight nobody really cares about Batman or even Two Face(ppl talk about Venom having a small role in SP3, they just threw Two Face in there for a cheap thrill..no great scene with Two Face in it)the only decent scene involving Two Face was when "YOU GUESSED IT" Joker pays a visit to him in the hospital...that damn Joker hoggin the spotlight

you talk about no development?? What development did Nolans Joker have?? NONE..he just pops up on the scene causing chaos..we never know his full orgins..he doesnt' even have direct beef with Batman..Burtons Joker had development and a legit reason to beef with Batman...the famous doctor scene(when the transformation reaches the climax)

this is also another theory for the overhype of nolans Batman series..the schumacher batman films were soooooooo horrible..that Nolans take on batman was soooo refreshing.. cuz ppl had low expectations for Batman Begins and were shocked to see that it was actually good so the anticipation for Dark Knight was much higher..but mostly due to Ledgers death..
I acknowledge that Burton's films laid the groundwork, but what Nolan did was take element's of Burton's films, and made fun of them. And, no development? really? Were you watching "The Dark Knight" on a plane or something with scenes cut out? Two Face GOT a full arc, we saw his full origins, and witnessed his evolution from Harvey Dent to Two Face. We even got scenes of him pre-two face showing qualities that lead us to believe that he is unstable. And, as for The Joker's development, it's scarier that WE DON'T KNOW where he came from. But, the development as a character that we get in the movie of not just where he comes from, but what his actions mean is better than him "falling in a vat of radioactive whatever-stuff".

And, number two: even IF Heath didn't die, the movie would still be considered great. In fact, before Heath even died, they were trying to get together a campaign to get him some Oscar attention BEFORE the movie came out. They were THAT confident in it. Look, I know people who work at Warner Bros. who, before he died, were saying that the movie was coming out amazing based on the work that they've seen. So, that leads me to believe that even IF he didn't die, the movie would still be considered great by many.

And, what storylines are you speaking of? Scarecrow? Nope, not in Burton's films. Two-Face? Nope, not in Burton's films. Bruce Wayne before he became Batman? Nope. What about even Arkham Asylum? NOPE, we didn't even get any of that in his films. What elements are you talking about? The only elements I see are the elements of The Joker, and those are used as a parody of Nicholson's Joker.

We'll just agree to disagree, I just don't think that Burton's films are anywhere near as good as Nolan's. I appreciate his films for laying the groundwork, and that's pretty much it...

well, no. I actually did like Batman Returns as a legitimate movie.
 8 years ago '05        #88
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
 persuazion said:
no, I said films that have the kind of imagery in them that Burton films do...whether it be... dark,goth,fantastical,whatever you want to call it......not just "good imagery"
well, if you're talking about directors with dark or gothic imagery, why aren't we discussing the early work of Alex Proyas then? The Crow? Dark City?
 8 years ago '07        #89
TheIncomparable 
space
avatar space
space
$2,595 | Props total: 0 0
 Storchaveli said:
This is just 1 review. I don't give a f**k, still watching it.

And I'm with you man.. I'm a fan of Tim Burton's work.. I'm looking forward to this film
 03-03-2010, 12:50 PM         #90
lazerface 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
well, if you're talking about directors with dark or gothic imagery, why aren't we discussing the early work of Alex Proyas then? The Crow? Dark City?
what ever happened to this guy? he directs 2 amazing films like the crow and dark city then it's like the guy totally fell off his game. garage days was s**t, i robot was s**t, i haven't seen knowing but from what i've heard it's s**t. what the hell happened?!?!
 8 years ago '05        #91
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
Uh oh... I was holding out more hope, but...

More negative reviews:









 8 years ago '05        #92
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
avatar space
space
$13,839 | Props total: 4138 4138
 lazerface said:
what ever happened to this guy? he directs 2 amazing films like the crow and dark city then it's like the guy totally fell off his game. garage days was s**t, i robot was s**t, i haven't seen knowing but from what i've heard it's s**t. what the hell happened?!?!
I know, right?

Well, I'm actually one of the very few that liked I, Robot. But, Knowing... that movie pissed me off... I absolutely hate the sh*t out of that film. My God, what happened?
 8 years ago '08        #93
KarteL13 
space
space
space
$2,445 | Props total: 4 4
 DaOmega_1 said:
Uh oh... I was holding out more hope, but...

More negative reviews:









Who cares? Watch it on your own and develop your own opinion.
 03-03-2010, 08:04 PM         #94
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
well, if you're talking about directors with dark or gothic imagery, why aren't we discussing the early work of Alex Proyas then? The Crow? Dark City?
Dark City is a good film, I recently seen it and is one underrated movie.
 8 years ago '06        #95
modalee 5 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$15,791 | Props total: 2322 2322
 smokeweed101. said:
Dark City is a good film, I recently seen it and is one underrated movie.
This is rare but i agree with you, Dark City is a vastly underrated movie
 8 years ago '04        #96
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,217 | Props total: 2114 2114
 smokeweed101. said:
You mind listing these films and directors who make gothic fantasy films?
exactly.......
 03-03-2010, 10:38 PM         #97
lazerface 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
Dark City is a good film, I recently seen it and is one underrated movie.
i just bought a ps3 a few weeks ago, it's also my first bluray player. the first thing i picked up, before even buying any games, was the dark city directors cut bluray dvd. i love this film.


Last edited by lazerface; 03-03-2010 at 10:49 PM..
 03-04-2010, 06:36 AM         #98
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
exactly.......
You didn't have a point in mind so you tried to change your definition.

I'll just let difference of opinions settle, I still have yet to see your point, Burton isn't the king of strange and he has 0 classics, this is just your rare opinion.

I could care less anyways, have fun watching your "Burton-esque obscure gothic fantasies that only Burton can master."


Last edited by smokeweed101.; 03-04-2010 at 06:38 AM..
 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM         #99
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 lazerface said:
i just bought a ps3 a few weeks ago, it's also my first bluray player. the first thing i picked up, before even buying any games, was the dark city directors cut bluray dvd. i love this film.
I got the blurray as well, the visuals are worth the HD quality, the ending ruins the movie though.
 8 years ago '04        #100
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$16,217 | Props total: 2114 2114
 smokeweed101. said:
You didn't have a point in mind so you tried to change your definition.

I'll just let difference of opinions settle, I still have yet to see your point, Burton isn't the king of strange and he has 0 classics, this is just your rare opinion.

I could care less anyways, have fun watching your "Burton-esque obscure gothic fantasies that only Burton can master."
I said his films and visions were unique......and hes the best at the strange kind of movies he does.......meaning dark,fantastical,goth.....then you name off a million other movies that were strange but nothing like his kind of strange......do you STILL not see where Im getting at....your taking something very simple and trying to turn it into something very complex just so you can say you were right.....Burton is not my fav director though....Kubrick is.....but Burton having 0 classics??? Wow......
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 34
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
59 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
 32
joie chavis
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 32
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 14
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
61 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 13
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
94 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 12
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
194 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 11
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
10 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
 10
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
2 days ago
@games
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy