Could Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" suck? Review inside...

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
169 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
35 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
101 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 03-02-2010, 08:33 AM         #41
lazerface 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
95% really? He only has 3 widely acknowledged great films and two are borderline great. No classics and a ton of weak movies, Beetlejuice and Batman are nothing to rave about.
this is YOUR opinion and i disagree. ed wood, edward scissorhands, beetlejuice and big fish are most definitely classics IMO, s**t i'm not even a fan of musicals and i loved sweeney todd. like i said before, he's definitely had some s**t movies (planet of the apes and charlie and the chocolate factory come to mind) but that doesn't take anything away from the GREAT work he's done.

Last edited by lazerface; 03-02-2010 at 08:36 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #42
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,208 | Props total: 2097 2097
 smokeweed101. said:
95% really? He only has 3 widely acknowledged great films and two are borderline great. No classics and a ton of weak movies, Beetlejuice and Batman are nothing to rave about.
Tim Burton is a master at what he does......

SWEENEY TODD (2007)

CORPSE BRIDE (2005)

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005)

BIG FISH (2003)

PLANET OF THE APES (2001)

SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999)

MARS ATTACKS! (1996)

ED WOOD (1994)

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993)

BATMAN RETURNS (1992)

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990)

BATMAN (1989)

BEETLEJUICE (1988)

PEE-WEE's BIG ADVENTURE (1985)
 8 years ago '05        #43
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271 OP
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
 lazerface said:
this is YOUR opinion and i disagree. ed wood, edward scissorhands, beetlejuice and big fish are most definitely classics IMO, s**t i'm not even a fan of musicals and i loved sweeney todd. like i said before, he's definitely had some s**t movies (planet of the apes and charlie and the chocolate factory come to mind) but that doesn't take anything away from the GREAT work he's done.
Dude, his track record is beyond inconsistent, and that's being nice.

The last film of his that I liked was Sweeney Todd. I hated Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. The Corpse Bride might as well be "Hot Topic: The IMAX Experience". Planet of The Apes was sh*t. Sleepy Hollow = Yawn. Planet of The Apes = No comment. The Batman films... I'm sorry, but that's no. His Batman movies were not Batman movies, they were Tim Burton's Batman movies. If he would've just stick with the source, and didn't try to inject gothic imagery with film noir, then it would have worked. I mean, c'mon... those films were way over the top and just straight up sucked.

Last edited by DaOmega_1; 03-02-2010 at 09:45 AM..
 8 years ago '05        #44
space
space
 persuazion said:

SWEENEY TODD (2007) - awesome!

CORPSE BRIDE (2005) - sucks

CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005) - Oh my God, terrible.

BIG FISH (2003) - haven't seen it.

PLANET OF THE APES (2001) - are you kidding me?

SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999) - yawn...

MARS ATTACKS! (1996) - meh...

ED WOOD (1994) - great.

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) - pretty cool.

BATMAN RETURNS (1992) - good, but not batman.

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990) - dope.

BATMAN (1989) - No. just no.

BEETLEJUICE (1988) - funny.

PEE-WEE's BIG ADVENTURE (1985) - really fun.
Dude, the only thing he's concerned with nowadays is selling Hot Topic T shirts. Not making actual good movies. The last good movie he made was Sweeny Todd, and his direction wasn't even the reason it was good, it was the music. His vision isn't unique anymore, because his vision as a director is too self-indulgent to actually work as a solid piece of storytelling.
 03-02-2010, 10:03 AM         #45
lazerface 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Dude, his track record is beyond inconsistent, and that's being nice.

The last film of his that I liked was Sweeney Todd. I hated Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. The Corpse Bride might as well be "Hot Topic: The IMAX Experience". Planet of The Apes was sh*t. Sleepy Hollow = Yawn. Planet of The Apes = No comment. The Batman films... I'm sorry, but that's no. His Batman movies were not Batman movies, they were Tim Burton's Batman movies. If he would've just stick with the source, and didn't try to inject gothic imagery with film noir, then it would have worked. I mean, c'mon... those films were way over the top and just straight up sucked.
Dude, the only thing he's concerned with nowadays is selling Hot Topic T shirts. Not making actual good movies. The last good movie he made was Sweeny Todd, and his direction wasn't even the reason it was good, it was the music. His vision isn't unique anymore, because his vision as a director is too self-indulgent to actually work as a solid piece of storytelling.
as far as batman, we'll have to agree to disagree, i loved his batman movies. he added his own special touch and made them his own, and isn't gotham city supposed to have a little gothic imagery? i mean it is called GOTHAM city.

another thing is, i do not give a f**k about hot topic, it's not tim burton's fault that tons of mall kids love to buy nightmare before christmas skull caps and t shirts. he was doing his thing waaaaaaaay before hot topic ever existed.
 8 years ago '08        #46
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,101 | Props total: 23310 23310
I ain't gonna read all that for a movie I'm not interested in so I'm gonna a.ssume by the number of paragraphs he rated it about a 1
 8 years ago '04        #47
persuazion 2 heat pts
space
space
$16,208 | Props total: 2097 2097
 DaOmega_1 said:
his vision isnt unique anymore? Who else is doing movies like any of these nowadays? The art direction was awesome in Sweeny Todd.....I dont know what your talking about. You dident like Sleepy Hollow or any of his Batman movies so we see things completelty different.His Batman movies are supposed to be over the top and more cartoon and comic like......who cares if Hot Topic sells his shirts?? They also sale Boondock Saints shirts too......so now you going to say that director sucks?
 8 years ago '05        #48
space
space
 persuazion said:
his vision isnt unique anymore? Who else is doing movies like any of these nowadays? The art direction was awesome in Sweeny Todd.....I dont know what your talking about. You dident like Sleepy Hollow or any of his Batman movies so we see things completelty different.His Batman movies are supposed to be over the top and more cartoon and comic like......who cares if Hot Topic sells his shirts?? They also sale Boondock Saints shirts too......so now you going to say that director sucks?
Actually, no. I'm not a big fan of the Boondock Saints films.

His vision was unique when he was first starting out. With Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Edward Sissorhands, he had a unique vision that tried lots of different things visually. Ed Wood is easily regarded as his best.

BUT, he is doing nothing except for repeating himself. His imagery are copies of copies of things he has done in the past. None of them are greatly original anymore because once he fell into a niche, he stayed there. And, it doesn't help that his storytelling isn't all the way there because he worries so much about the visuals, that the story and everything else suffers.

Sleepy Hollow straight up SUCKS. I'm sorry, but that movie is sh*t, and I'm not the only one who thinks this. And Batman in the comics isn't over the top and cartoony... That is my beef with it. The first Batman was just straight up campy.
 8 years ago '05        #49
space
space
 lazerface said:
as far as batman, we'll have to agree to disagree, i loved his batman movies. he added his own special touch and made them his own, and isn't gotham city supposed to have a little gothic imagery? i mean it is called GOTHAM city.
true, but when that overwhelms the storytelling, then it's a problem. And, I also don't like the fact that The Joker has more screen time than Batman, so we learn sh*t about Batman and don't give a sh*t if he wins or loses. We're just watching it.
 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM         #50
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 lazerface said:
Not saying it does, but when you say resume I a.ssume you mean his whole career, now saying only 5% of Hollywood can match his resume doesn't make much sense, I understand we have different opinions but this is something I strongly disagree with.

The only director I would put over 95% of Hollywood alive today is someone like Scorsese.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 03-02-2010 at 02:30 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #51
jumpman2304 25 heat pts25
space
space
$14,373 | Props total: 3819 3819
man the haters are out. and yall still know you will be going to see it
 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM         #52
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
So is many others, who do movies better, what is the point of naming mediocre films? I have already seen them.
 03-02-2010, 02:34 PM         #53
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 persuazion said:
his vision isnt unique anymore? Who else is doing movies like any of these nowadays?
Unique movies with consistent quality?

Lynch
Cronenberg
Coens
Aronofsky
Von Trier

Just to name a few. Not trying to hate on Burton but I find the 95% comment funny.
 8 years ago '05        #54
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
Unique movies with consistent quality?

Lynch
Cronenberg
Coens
Aronofsky
Von Trier

Just to name a few. Not trying to hate on Burton but I find the 95% comment funny.
Scratch off Von Trier's name off that list, and I completely agree.
 8 years ago '08        #55
KarteL13 
space
space
space
$2,445 | Props total: 4 4
LOL @ Tim Burton having no classics. Batman and Beetlejuice alone are classics.
 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM         #56
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Scratch off Von Trier's name off that list, and I completely agree.
He may not be as good or consistent but Dogville, Europa, Manderlay and Antichrist all have a unique style to them. He still hasn't hit his prime. On second thought maybe replace him with Terry Gilliam

How about
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Wes Anderson, David Fincher (getting stale IMO though), Paul Thomas Anderson, guys who haven't hit their prime yet, around the age of Burton with far more potential IMO.
 03-02-2010, 03:48 PM         #57
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KarteL13 said:
LOL @ Tim Burton having no classics. Batman and Beetlejuice alone are classics.
The two Ed movies are closest to being classic, I prefer his Batman to Nolan's but I can't take a comic book movie that serious to label a classic, the script was a joke.
 8 years ago '05        #58
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
He may not be as good or consistent but Dogville, Europa, Manderlay and Antichrist all have a unique style to them. He still hasn't hit his prime. On second thought maybe replace him with Terry Gilliam

How about
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Wes Anderson, David Fincher (getting stale IMO though), Paul Thomas Anderson, guys who haven't hit their prime yet, around the age of Burton with far more potential IMO.
I'm not really a fan of Von Trier, so I may not be the right person to judge his films. But, yeah. Replace Von Trier with Gilliam, and we're good... Speaking of, I haven't even seen "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"... have you?

As for David Fincher, I feel as though his prime was when he directed Se7en. I really like f!ght Club (even though I still think a movie that unique is always going to be inherently flawed. Wes Anderson is another one who found his niche, and never did anything different (except for "Fantastic Mr. Fox). Paul Thomas Anderson, for me, has never made a bad film. I love There Will Be Blood, love Boogie Nights, and even like weirdness like Magnolia. Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work is something I'm not familiar with, so I should probably start watching more of his films.
 03-02-2010, 04:05 PM         #59
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
I'm not really a fan of Von Trier, so I may not be the right person to judge his films. But, yeah. Replace Von Trier with Gilliam, and we're good... Speaking of, I haven't even seen "The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus"... have you?

As for David Fincher, I feel as though his prime was when he directed Se7en. I really like f!ght Club (even though I still think a movie that unique is always going to be inherently flawed. Wes Anderson is another one who found his niche, and never did anything different (except for "Fantastic Mr. Fox). Paul Thomas Anderson, for me, has never made a bad film. I love There Will Be Blood, love Boogie Nights, and even like weirdness like Magnolia. Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work is something I'm not familiar with, so I should probably start watching more of his films.
Never seen Doctor Parnassus either, and Jeunet made Amelie and Delicatessen, two great films.

I think Fincher hit three solid thrillers in a 4 year span, f!ght Club to me is one of the best thrillers all time. Only one to do something like that so short in time is Hitch. I'm not a huge fan of either Anderson but I respect their work and uniqueness.

Funny the things you say of Burton I would put him in the same category as Quentin and Cameron, they make the same damn films and live off past success, it is a shame.
 03-02-2010, 04:08 PM         #60
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Anyways anyone here a fan of the Disney Alice from 51? About to burn some blueberry and watch this with my son. s**t was trippy as hell for a Disney cartoon, that and Fantasia, my two favorite Disney films.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
9 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
9 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
69 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy