Intelligent People Have 'Unnatural' Preferences And Values That Are Novel In Human Evolution

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
133 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
121 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-25-2010, 06:57 PM         #1
6186 pageviews
65 comments

JerseyLegend 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Intelligent People Have 'Unnatural' Preferences And Values That Are Novel In Human Evolution

Great and interesting article

I won't even bold out the good s**t, should read from beginning to end.

More intelligent people are significantly more likely to exhibit social values and religious and political preferences that are novel to the human species in evolutionary history. Specifically, liberalism and atheism, and for men (but not women), preference for s3xual exclusivity correlate with higher intelligence, a new study finds.

The study, published in the March 2010 issue of the peer-reviewed scientific journal Social Psychology Quarterly, advances a new theory to explain why people form particular preferences and values. The theory suggests that more intelligent people are more likely than less intelligent people to adopt evolutionarily novel preferences and values, but intelligence does not correlate with preferences and values that are old enough to have been shaped by evolution over millions of years."

"Evolutionarily novel" preferences and values are those that humans are not biologically designed to have and our ancestors probably did not possess. In contrast, those that our ancestors had for millions of years are "evolutionarily familiar."

"General intelligence, the ability to think and reason, endowed our ancestors with advantages in solving evolutionarily novel problems for which they did not have innate solutions," says Satoshi Kanazawa, an evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics and Political Science. "As a result, more intelligent people are more likely to recognize and understand such novel entities and situations than less intelligent people, and some of these entities and situations are preferences, values, and lifestyles."

An earlier study by Kanazawa found that more intelligent individuals were more nocturnal, waking up and staying up later than less intelligent individuals. Because our ancestors lacked artificial light, they tended to wake up shortly before dawn and go to sleep shortly after dusk. Being nocturnal is evolutionarily novel.

In the current study, Kanazawa argues that humans are evolutionarily designed to be conservative, caring mostly about their family and friends, and being liberal, caring about an indefinite number of genetically unrelated strangers they never meet or interact with, is evolutionarily novel. So more intelligent children may be more likely to grow up to be liberals.

Data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Add Health) support Kanazawa's hypothesis. Young adults who subjectively identify themselves as "very liberal" have an average IQ of 106 during adolescence while those who identify themselves as "very conservative" have an average IQ of 95 during adolescence.

Similarly, religion is a byproduct of humans' tendency to perceive agency and intention as causes of events, to see "the hands of God" at work behind otherwise natural phenomena. "Humans are evolutionarily designed to be paranoid, and they believe in God because they are paranoid," says Kanazawa. This innate bias toward paranoia served humans well when self-preservation and protection of their families and clans depended on extreme vigilance to all potential dangers. "So, more intelligent children are more likely to grow up to go against their natural evolutionary tendency to believe in God, and they become atheists."

Young adults who identify themselves as "not at all religious" have an average IQ of 103 during adolescence, while those who identify themselves as "very religious" have an average IQ of 97 during adolescence.

In addition, humans have always been mildly polygynous in evolutionary history. Men in polygynous marriages were not expected to be s3xually exclusive to one mate, whereas men in monogamous marriages were. In sharp contrast, whether they are in a monogamous or polygynous marriage, women were always expected to be s3xually exclusive to one mate. So being s3xually exclusive is evolutionarily novel for men, but not for women. And the theory predicts that more intelligent men are more likely to value s3xual exclusivity than less intelligent men, but general intelligence makes no difference for women's value on s3xual exclusivity. Kanazawa's analysis of Add Health data supports these s3x-specific predictions as well.

One intriguing but theoretically predicted finding of the study is that more intelligent people are no more or no less likely to value such evolutionarily familiar entities as marriage, family, children, and friends.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Intelligent people have 'unnatural' preferences and values that are novel in human evolution

You can see it nowadays, generally speaking, the people who are religious and are less intelligent or lack a decent education, if any. Never heard of that 'evolution novel', might have to look that up in a bit of depth.

65 comments for "Intelligent People Have 'Unnatural' Preferences And Values That Are Novel In Human Evolution"

8 years ago '06        #2
SKDontPlay 
space
space
$566 | Props total: 10 10
lmao crazy s**t
 02-26-2010, 10:08 AM         #3
KazzMatiK  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wasn't feeling it... i saw some points but the blanket suggestions of more intelligent = liberlist is a fallacy
 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM         #4
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I rather read the actual paper. I wonder if psychinfo has it.
 02-26-2010, 10:44 PM         #5
WorldsStrangest  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
bulls**t. my parents are dumb.
 8 years ago '06        #6
Storchaveli 94 heat pts94
space
space
$27,979 | Props total: 4001 4001
That part about people staying up later was spot on (I'm a f**kin night owl), but that "religious people tend to be less 'intelligent'" concept is complete bulls**t. I'm religious and my logic/reasoning is f**kin flawless.

On another note, if you wanna know who is stupid, check for the loud people.

[video - click to view]

8 years ago '07        #7
nwadei 34 heat pts34
space
space
$4,394 | Props total: 1 1
interesting
 02-27-2010, 04:00 PM         #8
Metalzoa  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Spliffee said:
It's pretty obvious that the typical religious person is more retarded than a atheist.
This is no news, just look at the extreme majority of scientists are atheist although atheists are very much a minority in the general population.
Too much bias. Quite a lot of critically acclaimed scientists were/are religious heads.
Being a scientist is no indication you are a smarter person overall. You are just more knowledgeable in a particular field / discipline.

There are completely retarded atheists and the spectrum between smart and dumb religious people vs atheists will produce shockingly similar numbers.

Sorry to burst your bubble but atheism is not an indicator of superior mental capabilities.
 8 years ago '07        #9
ThursdayNit3 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,708 | Props total: 21 21
very good im not sure what to say, i mean it makes more sense that liberal people are more intelligent because they want the ability not to be held down and push the boundaries where as people who are conservative are more uptight basically and take things for face value.
 02-27-2010, 11:30 PM         #10
RealWorldSht  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Metalzoa said:
Being a scientist is no indication you are a smarter person overall. You are just more knowledgeable in a particular field / discipline.
Yes it is. To do serious academic research, scientists usually have at least a masters degree. This would mean they have a higher i.q on average, than the general population. Therefore is it a perfectly good indicator of intelligence, much like doctors, who are in the top 5-10% of the population in intelligence.
 02-28-2010, 02:30 AM         #11
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RealWorldSht said:
Yes it is. To do serious academic research, scientists usually have at least a masters degree. This would mean they have a higher i.q on average, than the general population. Therefore is it a perfectly good indicator of intelligence, much like doctors, who are in the top 5-10% of the population in intelligence.
I don't disagree with you that scientists and doctors are more intelligent than the average person, I would however hesitate before using iq as a measurement of intelligence.
 8 years ago '10        #12
Jostre 
space
space
$1,359 | Props total: 1 1
na,,i wasnt interested in this article findings.,,,u can do undergraduate research duh? all scientists share the same book. its the publishing which is the work,,, and even that can have a little kink here and there. but that doesnt mean such intelligence.

Last edited by Jostre; 02-28-2010 at 02:43 AM..
 03-03-2010, 07:31 AM         #13
Loose Cannon  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Spliffee said:
There is no doubt (which these sort of studies prove again and again) that we atheists are WAY smarter than religious f**ks.
Sure 5-10 IQ points aren't the biggest difference in the world, but even that slight leverage we got allows us to understand vast amounts of knowledge, which again only increases the undeniable appearance of our intellectual superiority.

If my memory isn't failing me, less than 5% of top scientists believe in your fairtytales, so f**k off homo erectus.
No offense, but you don't sound very smart.
 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM         #14
Loose Cannon  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Spliffee said:
^you just proved you don't even possess the common sense to pick up on the obvious "f**k you" that whole post is...

Holy s**t...im ashamed... I feel like an idiot now. Lol. Smh @ myself.

Now im questioning my IQ
 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM         #15
Loose Cannon  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Love the logic there.

:nuts:
 8 years ago '06        #16
beantown 74 heat pts74
space
space
$23,409 | Props total: 2 2
I don't think that just because you're religious you're stupid or just because you're an atheist you're smart. It probably has more to do with being able to have the ability to question things and not believe everything you hear and want proof that things are true or not.
 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM         #17
Kon Vert  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Interesting, but not necessarily new.

I get the majority of my writing done between 12-3am. That four hour window is my creative peak. I've been nocturnal since I went to college. Maybe it's all that coffee. Or maybe my professor's were right. I also agree, as a general rule, atheists are smarter than religious people, from those I've met.
 03-04-2010, 09:49 AM         #18
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Spliffee said:
The truth is tho:

Obviously someone believing in reality (atheists) are smarter than psychotics (religious people).
Maybe the religious do posses the potential to become as smart, but they don't develope that....
So you lose.

You're being extremely hyperbolic. Calling someone who believes in those fairy tales psychotic is ridiculous. A better diagnosis is: ignorance due to years of heavy indoctrination.
 03-04-2010, 09:51 AM         #19
KrayLay  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Spliffee said:
Well, psychotic people are diagnosed if they believe in things that we have proof doesn't exist.
Religious people believe in s**t we have proven do not exist.
So it's not name calling as much as just labeling it as it is.

"religious" is just a synonym for "psychotic"...
So take a minute to realize how hard you just got owned, then slit your wrists.
People who are extremely 'psychotic' (by the way, I'm not even sure that is in the DSM IV, it'
s just for colloquial usage) can't function in society properly, ie hold a job, relationships, etc. A religious person can do such things.
 8 years ago '05        #20
xbigelx 7 heat pts
space
space
$889 | Props total: 308 308
 beantown85 said:
I don't think that just because you're religious you're stupid or just because you're an atheist you're smart. It probably has more to do with being able to have the ability to question things and not believe everything you hear and want proof that things are true or not.

I agree with Beantown. The more intelligent or at least driven person is more likely to question things, not just easily accept. Wether that be thinkin capacity or just laziness. Think about how easy it is to just sit back and accept what your family believe, or your friends or your congregation. It is much harder to go against the grain in this world and think independently. It takes a certain degree of confidence, intelligence and perseverance.

And I'm not an atheist per say. I don't go around saying God or Ala or whomever doesn't exist. But People use religion to their benefit. All religions are creations, or interpretations, of humans and therefore flawed. Not all the beliefs are flawed. I just think organized religion can be too much when people try to push it on other people. Some people NEED that kinda belief system to get through there day tho, it helps many too. But its Pretty much the start of every War ever, no? To some degree I think it has been.

Sorry for the long post, but damn, this topic gets me goin.

Last edited by xbigelx; 03-04-2010 at 09:22 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
169 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
91 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
203 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
229 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
91 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
263 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy