Wow, Canada Concedes the Olympics

most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
38 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Minnesota with lime green uniforms tonight -- yay or nay?
25 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '08        #1
7212 pageviews
211 comments

stlcardinals19 32 heat pts32
space
space
$19,061 | Props total: 4847 4847
Wow, Canada Concedes the Olympics

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP)—Losing a hockey game to the United States was embarrassing enough. Now Canada is raising the white flag—giving up on its brash goal of winning the most medals at the Vancouver Games.

The U.S. remains on course for a historic medal haul, with a chance to take home the most hardware at the Winter Games for the first time in almost 80 years.

But Canada’s Own the Podium program is in tatters. And a surprising, demoralizing loss to a young American team in ice hockey—a sport Canada invented—is only making the pain deeper.

“Woe Canada: U.S. sticks stake in our hearts,” read the headline in Monday’s Vancouver Sun.

“It was very disappointing,” said George a.ssaf, a Vancouver firef!ghter who was wearing a Canada hockey jersey as he took photos of the Olympic cauldron Monday. “The Canadians didn’t play up to their standards. But I’m still hopeful we’ll pull it out in the end.”

After the 10th day of competition Monday, the U.S. led the overall medal count with 25—four more than Germany. The U.S. and Germany were tied for the most golds, seven each.

Canada had just five golds and 10 medals overall, a disappointment for a country that spent $117 million over five years to give extra support to contending athletes and dominate the medals stand.

On Monday, they conceded defeat.

“We’d be living in a fool’s paradise if we said we’re going to catch the Americans and win,” said Chris Rudge, chief executive of the Canadian Olympic Committee.

The USOC has been careful not to make medal forecasts, boast about the success so far or take pleasure from Canada’s failed attempt at medal supremacy.

The United States hasn’t topped the medals table—gold or overall—at a Winter Olympics since the 1932 Games in Lake Placid. The Americans could also challenge their record of 34 total medals from the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.

“Certainly it would be a bonus, but we’re not focused on that outcome,” said Mike English, the U.S. Olympic Committee’s director of sports performance. “We’re focused on the athletes’ performance, not medals.”

The United States picked up another medal later Monday, with ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White winning the silver.

The Americans are a.ssured of at least a silver medal in women’s hockey after beating Sweden 9-1 in a semifinal game. The U.S. will face either Canada or Finland in Thursday’s final.

And the U.S. also has good medal prospects in the coming days in Nordic combined skiing, short track speedskating, freestyle aerials and Alpine skiing.

Alpine has given the U.S. eight medals, including three for Bode Miller and two from Lindsey Vonn. Ted Ligety will be a threat in the men’s giant slalom, with Julia Mancuso the defending champion in the women’s.

Even the U.S. men’s hockey team now has legitimate medal hopes after Sunday’s unexpected 5-3 win over the star-studded Canadians—the biggest win for the American team since the 1980 Miracle on Ice upset of the Soviet Union.

The Americans will go into the quarterfinals as the top-seeded team, while Canada might have to beat powerful Russia just to advance past the quarterfinals.

Vancouver organizing committee spokeswoman Renee Smith-Valade insisted the Own the Podium project, which mixed government and private money to help the athletes, had been an overall success.

“There was an inordinate amount of pressure on the Canadian team,” she said. “When the time comes, it is up to the athletes to deliver. We believe everything was done to give them the confidence they need. We know the program will continue to be a factor. They will have fire in their eyes and make the country proud.”

The USOC spent less than half what Canada did—$55 million over the past four years—to boost its medal hopes in Vancouver. English said the Americans were never fazed by Canada’s slogan.

“We didn’t take that as a threat or anything,” he said. “It’s something that every host nation prepares for, and we certainly have done it with our own games. I think it’s part of the business going forward.”

The medals race shapes up as a f!ght between the U.S. and Germany until the close of the games Sunday.

Luciano Barra, a former Italian Olympic official who tracks winter sports results and issues regular medal projections, now forecasts the U.S. will finish with 32 medals, 11 of them gold, with Germany taking home 31 and nine.

As for Canada, critics already have another name for the medals initiative— Blown the Podium.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

It's the US owning the podium at Vancouver Games - 2010 Olympics - Yahoo! Sports

USA! USA! USA! USA!

211 comments for "Wow, Canada Concedes the Olympics"

8 years ago '08        #2
Main Event 55 heat pts55
space
space
$48,733 | Props total: 11628 11628
Wow

Last edited by Main Event; 02-23-2010 at 02:28 PM..
 02-23-2010, 02:29 PM         #3
Rynoh 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Failure of Epic Proportions...
 8 years ago '08        #4
wru425 61 heat pts61
space
space
$22,265 | Props total: 5435 5435
haha damn 117 mil for 10 medals
 8 years ago '07        #5
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306

USA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
 8 years ago '07        #6
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$18,234 | Props total: 140 140
I don't get how the more money spent = the better the athlete will do?

Either the athlete is going to dominate or not dominate .. if you're good at what you do .. what does spending money on them do?

I get the whole better training etc etc etc ... but really? makes that much of a difference.

& Lol @ our Alpine Team they = FAIL.

Still prooud to be Canadian over American - ALL DAY.
 8 years ago '04        #7
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
The "own the podium" thing hyped the rest of the world up.

The problem is with the politics behind Canadian sport and sticking with athletes who don't produce even though they suck a.ss. :angry12:

don't get how the more money spent = the better the athlete will do?
Oh come on..........

Last edited by enetblazin4eva; 02-23-2010 at 02:37 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #8
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,980 | Props total: 3526 3526
That lose to the USA Hockey team must have really hurt...I would never want to see the USA say anything like this at the Olympics.
 8 years ago '07        #9
m-f 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$18,234 | Props total: 140 140
 502forLife said:
yes they r verys.lutty & freaks

but also have cobwebs & dust on there pus*y like an attic as well
Lol @ your attempt at comedy.

Could of came harder than that.
 8 years ago '04        #10
refuze 285 heat pts285
space
space
$18,700 | Props total: 15528 15528
Pussies
 8 years ago '04        #11
SHOWTIME 
space
space
$4,273 | Props total: 10 10
 502forLife said:
& canada is called the attic cuz no one goes up there
lets keep it that way... dont want my city flooded with any more foreigners..

vancouver is consistently amongst the best most liveable cities in the world by the way
 02-23-2010, 03:04 PM         #12
Rynoh 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 502forLife said:
heres what I mean

[pic - click to view]

:sick: I just puked a little in my mouth.
 8 years ago '06        #13
01seay 83 heat pts83
space
space
$20,980 | Props total: 3526 3526
 502forLife said:
yes they r verys.lutty & freaks

but also have cobwebs & dust on there pus*y like an attic as well
 8 years ago '07        #14
Grave 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,788 | Props total: 200 200
 m-f said:
I don't get how the more money spent = the better the athlete will do?

Either the athlete is going to dominate or not dominate .. if you're good at what you do .. what does spending money on them do?

I get the whole better training etc etc etc ... but really? makes that much of a difference.

& Lol @ our Alpine Team they = FAIL.

Still prooud to be Canadian over American - ALL DAY.
There is natural talent and then there is skill. Two completely diferent things. You are born with talent, but it is the pursuit of perfection that gives you skill. Talent will only get you as far as youve mastered your skill.
 8 years ago '07        #15
ptwist 43 heat pts43
space
space
$16,114 | Props total: 6349 6349
Canada waves the white flag

Let's get it Americans

[pic - click to view]

02-23-2010, 03:56 PM         #16
KingoBling 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Canada still the best country to live in. Y'all just jealous your not here partying with the finest b**ches in the world, in the best city in the world, all day since the games began. and y'all are prob snowed in while we up here rocking jeans and t-shirts. I understand.

but seriously how can you hate, we have 1/10th the people, and unlike america , we release how much was spent on our teams. america has easily spent more money on there teams.

all you gotta do is walk down Granville to know its not USA,USA

its CAN- A- DA, CAN- A- DA

Last edited by KingoBling; 02-23-2010 at 03:58 PM..
 8 years ago '05        #17
jay964 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,535 | Props total: 134 134
 502forLife said:
so is mine,

16th largest in US still one the best to live in
i highly doubt chicago is anywhere near vancity or toronto for that matter of the best places to live..
there is a reason why canadian cities are generally at the top of that list..
 8 years ago '05        #18
BaLLa4LiFe 
space
space
space
$1,426 | Props total: 10 10
what else is new though? no like we ever owned the podium. And 117 mill is probably half as much as USA or even less then what they get for sports.
 8 years ago '06        #19
Bedlam 
space
space
$4,630 | Props total: 1 1
 KingoBling said:
Canada still the best country to live in. Y'all just jealous your not here partying with the finest b**ches in the world, in the best city in the world, all day since the games began. and y'all are prob snowed in while we up here rocking jeans and t-shirts. I understand.

but seriously how can you hate, we have 1/10th the people, and unlike america , we release how much was spent on our teams. america has easily spent more money on there teams.

[pic - click to view]

Did this guy say Canada has the finest b**ches in the world?
 8 years ago '08        #20
wru425 61 heat pts61
space
space
$22,265 | Props total: 5435 5435
 KingoBling said:

best country? finest b**ches? best city in the world? CAN-A-DA?
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
78 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
77 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
25 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
26 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy