Offical Thread: Shutter Island.

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
63 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
272 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
88 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 02-23-2010, 03:53 PM         #61
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 VickVega said:
Movie was ILL. Mentally Ill. Thought it was good but I want to see it again with the new perspective. It really created a good sense of what being "Crazy" is like, I couldnt make up my mind for most of the movie if the doctors were evil or if he was nuts.
It actually didn't create that good of a sense, it isn't a psychologically correct movie and if you were to get technical you could point out flaws and of course there are better interpretations of mental illness in cinema. With that said it is a great experience.

I loved the anagrams in throughout the film. The name "Shutter Island" could be seen as an anagram for "Lies and Truths".

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 02-23-2010 at 04:00 PM..
 02-23-2010, 03:58 PM         #62
unkoricky 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JeeQ said:
A lot of people are asking about the ending, so this is your warning, many spoilers ahead.

***MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD***MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD***MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD***

They let us know Leo has recovered fully when Dr.Sheehan calls out for him by the name "Teddy" and Leo doesn't respond to it. He's come to grips with the fact he is Andrew but he still can't live with the fact he allowed his wife to murder his children, and then murdered his wife. So he opts to get lobotomized and start with a clean slate.

For the crowd that's arguing that Leo really wasn't crazy and was brainwashed into thinking he was, there's quite a few scenes that dispute that, starting right at the beginning of the film.
====================

The very first scene of the film shows Leo throwing up because "water makes him sick but he has no idea why". Water makes him sick because he pulled his three dead children out of a pond. Because of this he has multiple water based hallucinations throughout the film (the dripping water from the ceiling, the lady who asks for a glass of water and then pretends to drink it, he thinks he see's Chuck's dead body floating in the ocean, just like his dead children)/ Water is a central theme throughout the movie.

At the beginning of the film, Leo says that he's just now meeting his partner. Are you telling me the first time you'd meet your partner is on a ferry in the middle of the ocean? A ferry that happens to be completely controlled by the institution.

Why send in two US Marshals to find one escaped patient on an isolated island when we clearly see they have tons of guards stationed there.

Leo remarks that the guards look on edge. They're on edge because they know Leo is insane and violent.

Chuck/Dr.Sheehan can't figure out how to get his gun out of the holster. If he was really a US Marshal, you'd think he'd be able to do something as simple as pulling a gun out of a holster.

When interrogating the man who claims any woman who'd k!ll her own kids is sick, Leo freaks out and starts scribbling, knowing how much it would anger the man. Taking to the defense of the woman who k!lled her kids, we learn later that woman is his wife. Also in his anger he tells the patient of his crime, how would he know this if the patient files were never released to him? Because they are all members in the same group therapy sessions.

When interrogating the woman who asked for the glass of water, he mentions the name Andrew and she freaks out, saying she's never heard of anyone by that name. She's scared because she knows he's Andrew, and the last person that told him he was Andrew was George Noyce, who was then beaten down by Leo.

In his first dream sequence with his dead wife which was triggered by the leaking water from the ceiling. He imagines her burning up in ashes but when he hugs her she starts bleeding from her chest. This is the wound she received when Leo shot her in the chest, it's his dream scenario and reality blending.

The fake Rachel who turns out to be a nurse in the institution purposely tries to incite Leo into breaking out of his delusion. He hugs her and tells her everything is going to be OK.

They conveniently discard his US Marshal clothing and give him hospital clothing

Chuck/Dr.Sheehan tries to show Leo the patient intake form for Patient 67 but Leo vehemently refuses to look at the paper. He knows the truth is on that form but to protect his dream scenario he refuses to look at it, "great defense mechanisms"

When Leo first sees the Warden he already recognizes him, and calls him a prick. The orderly remarks "now that I'll agree with".

Noyce tells Leo that he gave him those scars and bruises. This coincides with Dr.Cawley telling Leo that he was involved in a brawl with Noyce just last week. Starting from the beginning of the movie, Leo has a band-aid on his head, presumably received from his scuffle with Noyce.

When he first fires the gun at Dr.Cawley he sees imaginary blood splatter and hears imaginary gunshots. This sets into motion the reality of his situation finally settling in. His dream scenario is crashing down upon him.
whoa.... that just made the movie a lot better with everything i didnt notice & totally made sense... It had its boring moments, but i liked it...

Spoiler
So did they take him up to get experimented on at the end or k!ll him ?
For some reason i thought Leo was gonna go crazy and stab the Dr & Warden at thee end..
 8 years ago '07        #63
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,789 | Props total: 14595 14595
 ra1n said:
movie absolutely r*pes Avatar.
Inception will probably r*pe everything.
 8 years ago '04        #64
VickVega 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,739 | Props total: 114 114
It actually didn't create that good of a sense, it isn't a psychologically correct movie and if you were to get technical you could point out flaws and of course there are better interpretations of mental illness in cinema.-
-Get the f**k outta here. Unless you read spoilers, you were questioning what the f**k was going on the entire movie.
 02-24-2010, 12:18 PM         #65
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 VickVega said:
-Get the f**k outta here. Unless you read spoilers, you were questioning what the f**k was going on the entire movie.
What are you talking about? Your reply has nothing to do with what I said.

I watched the movie with no prior knowledge but the end results were clear from early on, my point was that it isn't the most realistic or best portrayal of DID (Dissociative identity disorder) an actual medical condition. I didn't question anything, I went for the surreal ride and knew what was coming, not everyone is as slow as you.
 8 years ago '04        #66
iMaGrOWNassMAN! 
space
space
$3,543 | Props total: 0 0
 JeeQ said:
A lot of people are asking about the ending, so this is your warning, many spoilers ahead.

They let us know Leo has recovered fully when Dr.Sheehan calls out for him by the name "Teddy" and Leo doesn't respond to it. He's come to grips with the fact he is Andrew but he still can't live with the fact he allowed his wife to murder his children, and then murdered his wife. So he opts to get lobotomized and start with a clean slate.

For the crowd that's arguing that Leo really wasn't crazy and was brainwashed into thinking he was, there's quite a few scenes that dispute that, starting right at the beginning of the film.
====================

The very first scene of the film shows Leo throwing up because "water makes him sick but he has no idea why". Water makes him sick because he pulled his three dead children out of a pond. Because of this he has multiple water based hallucinations throughout the film (the dripping water from the ceiling, the lady who asks for a glass of water and then pretends to drink it, he thinks he see's Chuck's dead body floating in the ocean, just like his dead children)/ Water is a central theme throughout the movie.

At the beginning of the film, Leo says that he's just now meeting his partner. Are you telling me the first time you'd meet your partner is on a ferry in the middle of the ocean? A ferry that happens to be completely controlled by the institution.

Why send in two US Marshals to find one escaped patient on an isolated island when we clearly see they have tons of guards stationed there.

Leo remarks that the guards look on edge. They're on edge because they know Leo is insane and violent.

Chuck/Dr.Sheehan can't figure out how to get his gun out of the holster. If he was really a US Marshal, you'd think he'd be able to do something as simple as pulling a gun out of a holster.

When interrogating the man who claims any woman who'd k!ll her own kids is sick, Leo freaks out and starts scribbling, knowing how much it would anger the man. Taking to the defense of the woman who k!lled her kids, we learn later that woman is his wife. Also in his anger he tells the patient of his crime, how would he know this if the patient files were never released to him? Because they are all members in the same group therapy sessions.

When interrogating the woman who asked for the glass of water, he mentions the name Andrew and she freaks out, saying she's never heard of anyone by that name. She's scared because she knows he's Andrew, and the last person that told him he was Andrew was George Noyce, who was then beaten down by Leo.

In his first dream sequence with his dead wife which was triggered by the leaking water from the ceiling. He imagines her burning up in ashes but when he hugs her she starts bleeding from her chest. This is the wound she received when Leo shot her in the chest, it's his dream scenario and reality blending.

The fake Rachel who turns out to be a nurse in the institution purposely tries to incite Leo into breaking out of his delusion. He hugs her and tells her everything is going to be OK.

They conveniently discard his US Marshal clothing and give him hospital clothing

Chuck/Dr.Sheehan tries to show Leo the patient intake form for Patient 67 but Leo vehemently refuses to look at the paper. He knows the truth is on that form but to protect his dream scenario he refuses to look at it, "great defense mechanisms"

When Leo first sees the Warden he already recognizes him, and calls him a prick. The orderly remarks "now that I'll agree with".

Noyce tells Leo that he gave him those scars and bruises. This coincides with Dr.Cawley telling Leo that he was involved in a brawl with Noyce just last week. Starting from the beginning of the movie, Leo has a band-aid on his head, presumably received from his scuffle with Noyce.

When he first fires the gun at Dr.Cawley he sees imaginary blood splatter and hears imaginary gunshots. This sets into motion the reality of his situation finally settling in. His dream scenario is crashing down upon him.

If anyone has any more examples throw them up, this movie camouflaged a lot of hints.
Good sh*t dude. I swear if it wasnt for this I'd still be a lil pissed at that movie. The last 30 minutes or so kinda ruined the movie for me. Got a couple more questions for ya tho

Who the f**k was the woman in the cave? After that she was never seen again. So maybe Leo wasnt crazy?

Why did his wife k!ll his kids? Did they explain why or did I just miss it?

Im normally good at catching plot twist and s**t in movies and its pissing me off a lil that for some reason the ending aint making much sense to me lol. Personally, I think it would've made for a better ending if they would have brainwashed him.

Last edited by iMaGrOWNassMAN!; 02-26-2010 at 03:51 PM..
 02-26-2010, 08:42 PM         #67
smokeweed101. 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iMaGrOWNassMAN! said:
Good sh*t dude. I swear if it wasnt for this I'd still be a lil pissed at that movie. The last 30 minutes or so kinda ruined the movie for me. Got a couple more questions for ya tho

Who the f**k was the woman in the cave? After that she was never seen again. So maybe Leo wasnt crazy?

Why did his wife k!ll his kids? Did they explain why or did I just miss it?

Im normally good at catching plot twist and s**t in movies and its pissing me off a lil that for some reason the ending aint making much sense to me lol. Personally, I think it would've made for a better ending if they would have brainwashed him.
The woman in the cave was patient 67? The missing patient that the movie is supposed to be about. She doesn't exist and he never went into the cave, he imagined this, obviously the trip to the cave was too unrealistic to really happen.

His wife was suffering from a mental disorder, not sure which but it was mentioned in the film. You have to remember that 95% of the film takes place in his mind, with that in mind it makes perfect sense.
 8 years ago '05        #68
burt6303 4 heat pts
space
space
space
$461 | Props total: 57 57
 JeeQ said:

====================

If anyone has any more examples throw them up, this movie camouflaged a lot of hints.
Saw it last night and this right here makes me appreciate the film just that much more. loved the movie. definently was satisfied with ending. sometimes i wonder why people want s**t drawn out for them. that line he told "chuck" just as he was leaving the steps pretty much lets you know wat it is............wat more could u ask for?
 02-27-2010, 10:35 AM         #69
Es0_puka 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I just finished watching it online..

I fell asleep through some of earlier parts but the film seemed good to me - I liked it

I'll have watch it again properly when I've had some sleep
 02-27-2010, 10:42 AM         #70
Hurricane24 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Leo is a great actor, i dunno what's up with the hate in here, aviator>>>>> also gangs of new york>>>>, but i do want to see this movie, looks dope
 8 years ago '05        #71
Wasted|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$12,305 | Props total: 69 69
I expect this to be like that Halle Berry film Gothika?

Looks decent from the trailers.
 8 years ago '06        #72
Triple0 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,890 | Props total: 462 462
 JeeQ said:
***SPOILER ALERT***SPOILER ALERT***SPOILER ALERT***

They took him to get lobotomized, in the same way the female doctor described to him in the cave. They were going to take that ice pick and insert it through the eye socket, lobotomize him, and basically turn him into a walking docile zombie with no memories. He'll no longer be Andrew (the monster), but have a clean slate.

Wrong! If you didn't know the female doctor he talked to was made up and not real. They took him to get k!lled. There was no weird tests going on on that island it was just like it was explained in the begging. An island for the criminal insane. He just came up with that s**t in his head to go along with him being a cop and detecting stuff.

And I'm shocked no one said anything about the boat ride. That was a dream. That boat ride never happened. My girl pointed it out, the screen flicked like they did in f!ght Club. Thats a s**tty way to explain so I hope you know what I'm talking about.
 8 years ago '07        #73
dionedre3000 
space
space
$8,972 | Props total: 791 791
^What do you think the black guy was carrying in that rolled up case thing? He's right guy but your right too as far as the tests, that was made up.
 8 years ago '05        #74
BurninLz 31 heat pts31
space
space
$10,312 | Props total: 868 868
 Triple0 said:
Wrong! If you didn't know the female doctor he talked to was made up and not real. They took him to get k!lled. There was no weird tests going on on that island it was just like it was explained in the begging. An island for the criminal insane. He just came up with that s**t in his head to go along with him being a cop and detecting stuff.

And I'm shocked no one said anything about the boat ride. That was a dream. That boat ride never happened. My girl pointed it out, the screen flicked like they did in f!ght Club. Thats a s**tty way to explain so I hope you know what I'm talking about.
SPOILER
Lobotomys were a common psychiatric procedure back in those times. At the end he was being taken to the lighthouse for the procedure to ease his dillusions and forget about the past. The extent of the testing was not what Leo had perceived however with Manchurian Candidates and zombies out doing the government's bidding.

Last edited by BurninLz; 03-04-2010 at 09:06 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #75
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4329 4329
 ra1n said:
um no. The boat ride was not a dream.
I'm pretty sure the boat ride didn't happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '04        #76
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4329 4329
 ra1n said:
^ from what i gathered/read -

*spoilers*

I thought that the doctors/psychologists put him on the ferry to make him feel like he's really an agent. They were playing along with it. (they gave him the fake gun and fake partner)

then when he arrives on the island, Leo says that the guards look on edge. They're on edge because they know Leo is insane.

I guess it can be interpreted a different way.
hmmm... You might be right. I need to watch it again.
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '04        #77
hockeythug 66 heat pts66
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
Finally saw it last night, really was disappointed. If "Martin Scorsese" wasn't on the films credits this movie would be getting alot of hate right now.

Last edited by hockeythug; 03-07-2010 at 01:52 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #78
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
it was aight.. kinda took awhile to get going.
 8 years ago '09        #79
5_star_smitty|m 208 heat pts208
space
space
$44,536 | Props total: 3829 3829
loved it...

with like 30 mins left when the tables were turning & Leo was the 1 "on trial", definitely caught me off guard. won't get into the details, but if u didn't like this movie, i can only come to 1 conclusion...

that u watched the movie like this:

03-18-2010, 04:49 PM         #80
drew12 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 hockeythug said:
Finally saw it last night, really was disappointed. If "Martin Scorsese" wasn't on the films credits this movie would be getting alot of hate right now.
i thought it was kind of predictable.
[spoiler - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
31 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
95 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
55 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
40 comments
1 day ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy