Miguel Cotto vs Yuri Foreman[6-5-10][HBO]

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
23 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
21 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Winner
MC by KO 12 60.00%
MC by Dec 4 20.00%
Draw 0 0%
YF by KO 1 5.00%
YF by Dec 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #241
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
$41,054 | Props total: 30344 30344
 Maddog345 said:
Roy Jones was there filling in for Emanuel Steward (since he was training Cotto). Cotto looked good tonight. Not great but good. This was a solid rebound perfomance by Cotto. I was glad to see him bounce back. I'm interested to see who he will f!ght next. The f!ght I would like to see most is a rematch between him & Antonio Margarito. I don't think Cotto is ready for the likes of Paul Williams or Sergio Martinez.

Oh, he was just filling in for Manny? That's sucks cuz.... RJJ is way better than Manny.

At no time in his career, was Cotto ever ready for the likes of Martinez. There is absolutely nothing in Cotto's arsenal, past or present that should lead anyone to ever believe (including Cotto and his camp), that he could do anything against Martinez other than getting totally dominated in an embarrassing fashion. At one point in time, there was probably a way for Cotto to have a spirited outing against Paul Williams and maybe even find some success... that day is long past now though. Spinks/Bundrage winner in a unification bout in NYC, is the logical choice for him now.
 8 years ago '06        #242
jj01 
space
space
$44,948 | Props total: 4669 4669
stogz whats your take on that bum joe greene? was his performance even more pathetic live than it was on tv?
 8 years ago '06        #243
Bama Boy 100 heat pts100
space
space
space
$57,468 | Props total: 14732 14732
 stogz said:
I been gone for a minute... y'all gonna have to catch me up on what's been going on around here.

I went to the f!ght, the atmosphere was pretty cool... I was so shocked to see RJJ at ringside doing analyst work, had no clue he was back. I gotta catch the replay on HBO... how did he do?

Anyway... Cotto didn't look so good to me. He looked 'open', and kinda sluggish. When Foreman was throwing, Cotto, usually, reacted a split second too late when trying to slip punches. I don't think it would be a good idea for him to ever be matched up with someone who has fast hands AND a bit of power, ever again. I think Spinks/Bundrage winner would be a good f!ght at 154 for him but definitely not the elite guys like Williams or Martinez. At 147, I don't like any of the guys there for him either.
Yea like dude said I think Roy was just filling in but it would be awesome if he comes back and maybe trades out with Lewis every few f!ghts. He was solid on the broadcast, dude is brutally honest and i love it. I would much rather hear Roy's take on f!ghts and what not then see him get his head bashed in anymore because hes past it.
 8 years ago '06        #244
Bama Boy 100 heat pts100
space
space
space
$57,468 | Props total: 14732 14732
 jj01 said:
stogz whats your take on that bum joe greene? was his performance even more pathetic live than it was on tv?
was I the only one that thought he was sloppy as f**k? i wasnt overly impressed with that Armenian dude either.
 8 years ago '05        #245
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,734 | Props total: 12555 12555
Cotto looked much better than his previous 3 f!ghts. He's standing more upright, his footwork has improved, but he still needs to work on cutting off the ring better, and hopping on his opponent when he sees that they are hurt.. Too many times did he allow Yuri to recover(before he suffered the leg injury), when Foreman could have been put away by round 5. Cotto needed this win to boost his morale, I don't think he's ready for the for Sergio or Paul yet, but I wouldn't mind seeing him against Spinks.
 8 years ago '06        #246
Maddog345 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,867 | Props total: 261 261
 Birdman's Back said:
was I the only one that thought he was sloppy as f**k? i wasnt overly impressed with that Armenian dude either.
Your not the only one. That was a terrible f!ght. Greene threw no combinations. He just threw one punch & was done. He's got to throw more punches in a shorter time span. I swear he would throw the left once & 15 secs later he would throw another one. Very underwhelming f!ght.

I hope HBO does get Roy Jones back on the set. He is a good commentator with good knowledge & great insight.
 8 years ago '06        #247
STILL.DETOX|m 704 heat pts704 OP
space
space
$11,579 | Props total: 9 9
Miguel Cotto: My jab is back. My movement is back. The punch that finished the f!ght, the left hook to the body, was back too… I didn’t use my jab much in the fourth round, and that’s the point where Yuri Foreman took advantage… I felt pretty good f!ghting at 154. Boxing, for me, is a business. If we get offered something better at 147, we can get back to 147.

Yuri Foreman: I felt good. Physically, I felt good. I am going to take some time off and get back in the gym… (on the knee) It’s an old injury from when I was a kid. I fell on my bike when I was 15. I’ve always wore a knee brace to protect it… There was a lot of commotion. Arthur Mercante asked me if I wanted to continue. I said “of course.” I wanted to continue. In my mind, it wasn’t over. I still threw punches. I was trying to think optimistically.
Photos: Ed Mulholland

Click the photo to go to the next photo

Foreman Trainer Joe Grier: At the point where his leg went out on him, I realized it was a serious injury. It wasn’t like he was out of the f!ght. With his tremendous heart he wasn’t out of the f!ght. But I started noticing he was getting hit even more, because he wasn’t himself, he wasn’t Yuri Foreman, because he wasn’t mobile. He was firing back, but it wasn’t enough. I wanted to see Yuri leave with some dignity.

Bob Arum: This facility is so spectacular. Yankee Stadium, just those two words mean so much. Just to have the privilege of putting a f!ght in Yankee Stadium, it’s not like other places where it’s like pulling teeth. It was a great experience for everyone.
 8 years ago '07        #248
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
 philly337 said:
u already know jones was good lol

as for cotto i agree..they was suckin stewart off for workin kinks out and s**t but for real i thought cotto looked pretty s**tty.He looked real slow at this weight and felt he actually looked worse in this f!ght then in his last few f!ghts just had a guy who didn't have that type of speed,activity,and power.If he fought pacman last night he prob woulda took a worse beating then the first time

i'm just goin to chalk it up to havin a new trainer and them tryin to change too much too quick...should be sharper in the next f!ght
Good, I'm glad RJJ didn't lose it.

As for the Cotto/Manny marriage.... I was never really impressed with Steward as a trainer. Usually he takes the biggest, longest dudes, and tells them to jab. Outside of that, I dunno what he teaches these guys. I'm not ready for Cotto's career to be over yet but, he best never get in the ring with an elite f!ghter ever again.

jj01 said:
Man, Green is on some bullsh*t. That's all I can say about him.
 8 years ago '06        #249
space
space
it was great, there was like 1 foreman fan in my section and every1 was s**tting on him LOL i thought there was gonna be a brawl
 8 years ago '06        #250
space
space
Pacquiao Liked Cotto's Performance, Rematch is a 'Plan B'

By Ronnie Nathanielsz

While Top Rank promoter Bob Arum and pound-for-pound king and “f!ghter of the Decade” Manny Pacquiao are not taking Floyd Mayweather Jr’s recent statements serious - that he plans to take one or two years off from boxing thereby k!lling a possible mega-buck showdown between the two this November - Miguel Cotto’s victory in the WBA super welterweight title f!ght over Yuri Foreman provides another option for Pacquiao in case Mayweather continues to duck the Filipino.

Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz told BoxingScene.com that on the way back to their hotel, after watching the f!ght with Pacquiao and his lovely wife Jinkee, they “had a minor discussion” about a possible rematch with Cotto.

A rematch for the super welterweight title at 154 pounds would give Pacquiao a chance to cement his place in the record books by winning an eighth world title in eight separate weight divisions, should Pacquiao win a rematch having won the WBO welterweight title with a 12th round TKO over Cotto last November.

Koncz said the idea is “to see what happens” adding that “if the Mayweather f!ght is not made then we’ll go to plan B” which could mean a f!ght against Antonio Margarito, Cotto or even Juan Manuel Marquez who has been crying out for a third and last shot at Pacquiao with whom Marquez salvaged a draw in their first meeting after being dropped three times in the first round and lost the rematch by a split decision after being dropped once more in the fourth round.

Pressed by his new trainer Emmanuel Steward to work behind the jab Cotto put on the pressure from the opening bell but Foreman countered effectively and often caught the Puerto Rican with flurries to possibly steal some of the early rounds.

Foreman appeared to find his rhythm in round four and connected with three solid blows that stunned Cotto since Foreman based on his record of 8 knockouts in 28 wins didn’t appear to be a big puncher. An exchange of solid blows saw Foreman end the round with blood dripping from his nose.

There was more give-and-take action in the fifth after Steward frankly told Cotto he thought he had lost the fourth round. Solid left hooks by both f!ghters marked the final minute of the round.

After Cotto appeared to have his best round in the sixth catching Foreman with some solid blows to the body and head, disaster struck as Foreman slipped and fell because of the canvas which referee Arthur Mercante Jr said later had concerned him because of the slippery nature caused by water from a series of undercard f!ghts.

Foreman said later he had injured his right knee when he fell off his bicycle as a 15 year old kid and wore a knee brace to support it and when he slipped and fell in Cotto’s corner for a second time it almost completely took away his ability to move and stay out of harm’s way which was one of the keys to his success in the first five rounds.

Twice given time by the referee, Foreman gallantly agreed to continue but sensing the opportunity Cotto jumped on the immobile Foreman and nailed him time and time again with some big shots which the future Rabbi couldn’t avoid.

Foreman’s corner threw in the towel in round eight but Mercante Jr threw it right back and said later he didn’t know who threw the towel even as he pointed out that the rules do not allow a f!ght to be stopped by the corner throwing the towel into the ring. The corner is supposed to wave the towel and ask the ring doctor or the referee to call a halt.

After some delay in which the referee cleared the ring of people who had jumped in thinking the f!ght was over when Foreman went down and couldn’t get up because of his injured knee, the f!ght resumed and both f!ghters gamely battled on.

In the 9th round the inevitable happened. Cotto cracked a left hook to the body, Foreman dropped on one knee and referee Mercante Jr jumped in to stop the f!ght at :42 seconds of the round. With the win Cotto who embraced his mother who entered the ring, improves to 35-2 with 28 knockouts while Foreman who suffered his first setback but had nothing to be ashamed of fell to 28-1 with 8 knockouts.

Pacquiao who watched the f!ght intently said he thought it was “a very good f!ght” even as Koncz indicated that Pacquiao “thought it was a draw and a very close f!ght until Foreman got injured.”

In a post f!ght interview with Max Kellerman of HBO, Mercante said “There was no need to stop the f!ght” referring to the towel being thrown into the ring, adding that “they were in the middle of a great exchange, a great f!ght. People came to see a great f!ght and I felt like I did the right thing.”

The state-of-the art $1.4 billion Yankee Stadium in the heart of the Bronx was a sight to behold and recalled the glory days of boxing when the so-called cathedral of baseball saw f!ght fans thrill to the ring exploits of heavyweight champions Joe Louis, Gene Tunney, Jack Dempsey and undefeated Rocky Marciano as well as Sugar Ray Robinson considered by many as the greatest of all-time.

The old Yankee Stadium was the site almost 34 years ago of the third f!ght in the Muhammad Ali-Ken Norton trilogy which Ali won. With the Cotto-Foreman f!ght doing as well as it did following the almost 51,000 fans that watched Pacquiao whip Ghana’s Joshua Clottey at the Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas, promoter Bob Arum senses that the big stadiums will once again contribute to the continued resurgence of boxing.
 8 years ago '06        #251
kevkhalee 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,319 | Props total: 120 120
Damn i missed this f!ght.
When is the replay showing?

Oh and Cotto rematching Pacman?

HAHAHA
gtfoh

Last edited by kevkhalee; 06-06-2010 at 06:15 PM..
 8 years ago '07        #252
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,551 | Props total: 1169 1169
Who the f**k would pay for Cotto/Pac 2
 06-07-2010, 01:44 AM         #253
believeingreen 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

good to see cotto becoming more vocal as to who he wants to f!ght now basically to translate this article for all my non spanish speaking people

Just 48 hours have gone by since Miguel Cotto became world champion in his third division after winning the WB Junior middleweight title from belorrusian-Israeli Yuri Foreman, but the new champ awaits on Top Rank his promoting company to determine his new opponent.

"It's too early yet to give specific names. Lack of time and have we need to do some meetings to discuss possible dates and opponents. But I'm willing to f!ght the big names, "Cotto said yesterday upon arrival at the airport Luis Muńoz Marín.

The f!ghter, a Caguas native did not mention names, but nodded when a possible rematch with Manny Pacquiao or a f!ght with Floyd Mayweather, Jr., if they are not ultimately agree to a possible bout in November where mentioned.

Similarly, Cotto said he is willing to f!ght the elite f!ghters of the 154 pounds such as Paul Williams, Argentine Sergio Martinez and mexicans Alfredo "El Perro" Angulo and Antonio Margarito, if conditions are right.
"Since 2005 I've faced the best and now is no exception. I have no problem with some of them f!ght as long as there are the best financial guarantees, "said Cotto, who did not rule out returning to 147 pounds if necessary.

"It's a possibility. Everything depends on the opponent you choose. We are open to any eventuality, whether at 154 pounds or 147, "he said.

In the work done by the experienced trainer Emanuel Steward, Cotto had words of praise.

"He did good work. There were big adjustments we had to do, but we work on fixing some little things that bore fruit in the f!ght, "Cotto said.

For now, the new champion will be devoted to rest and heal their wounds, including a small swelling under his right eye.

"We will take a little vacation, take a rest. But we feel good. In a couple of weeks we'll be okay. "
 8 years ago '06        #254
space
space

Last edited by STILL.DETOX; 06-07-2010 at 05:04 PM..
 8 years ago '07        #255
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
Wow... I never thought of a f!ght with Angulo. That is a good match-up for Cotto, IF Cotto has improved (which I'm not convinced of). However, that f!ght could end up looking exactly the same as the Marg f!ght if Cotto still hasn't tightened up that Defense.
 06-08-2010, 06:39 AM         #256
believeingreen 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 L-E-Dub b**ch said:
Who the f**k would pay for Cotto/Pac 2
I would
 8 years ago '06        #257
space
space
Miguel Cotto-Yuri Foreman Generates 3.9 Rating For HBO

By Mark Vester

According to the a.ssociated Press, last Saturday's junior middleweight bout between Miguel Cotto and Yuri Foreman generated the highest television rating for HBO in 2010. The f!ght, which saw Cotto stop Foreman in the ninth round to become a three division champion, had a rating of 3.9. The number equals around 1.9 million viewers between the live show and the Sunday replay.

Junior middleweight Vanes Martirosyan won a decision over Joe Greene in the co-feature. The doubleheader was the first event at Yankee Stadium since September 1976, when heavyweight legend Muhammad Ali defeated Ken Norton.

8 years ago '06        #259
StudiosConnect' 3 heat pts
space
space
$4,627 | Props total: 0 0
Emmanuel seemed kinda shook of Foreman was cake f!ght... gotta give respect to him though way he ain't even take the 5 min granted to him...

I'm sure he took more home that f!ght then his next 2 :-0 maybe 3
 8 years ago '07        #260
stogz 18 heat pts18
space
space
Was the official attendance ever announced? I missed it.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
53 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now