most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
69 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
97 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #1
6181 pageviews
77 comments

Kazel 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,433 | Props total: 453 453
The Official "How to Root my Android Phone" Thread

Here is a guide I found on Wiki, I think this applies to all android phones, but I have only tried it on my G1

First off, I take no credit for this guide, this is straight from the xda-developers forums, which is an excellent place to learn about HTC phone hacking. So let’s get started. Make sure you backup anything important on your phone as this will erase everything. There are several apps in the Market that will backup apps, SMS, and other data for you. So don’t complain if you’ve lost your data. Your contacts and email should still synch with Google once you reinstall the new OS.

If you have US-RC30/UK-RC8 or higher, you will first need to downgrade your phone to a previous version. (Skip these steps otherwise)

1. Format your phone’s SD card to FAT32 mode:
* Hook your phone up to your computer using a USB cable and then wait for the notification to show up in your title bar of your phone.
* Click the notification, and then click “Mount”.
* A new removable disk should show up on your computer. Right click it and select Format, and select FAT32 as the file system type.
2. Download and unzip the RC29 or RC7 image file. Copy the DREAMIMG.nbh file to the SD card. (RC29 for US, RC7 is for UK)
3. Turn the device power off.
4. Hold Camera button, and press Power button to entry bootloader mode. You should see a gray/white screen with instructions to flash your phone with the update on your SD card. If you don’t see that, make sure you followed the instructions properly.
5. As per the on-screen instructions, press the Power button to start upgrade procedure. DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO INTERRUPT THIS PROCESS.
6. After it is finished, perform the restart your phone.

Once you are running RC29 firmware:

1. Download recovery.img and copy it to your SD card (see the previous instructions on how to copy from your computer to your Phone’s SD card).
2. Download the Hard SPL and copy the zip file to the SD card.
3. All files must be on the root of your SD card.
4. Restart your phone. Wait for your phone to start up fully and show the home screen.
5. After your phone starts up, hit the enter key twice, type “telnetd” and press enter. (Yes, it will start up a contact search, don’t worry. Just type it.)
6. Download an Android “Telnet” application from the Market and connect to localhost.
7. If you connect successfully, you will have a root prompt “#”.
8. Type the following into Telnet (these commands will give you root access easier in the future):
* mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
* cd sdcard
* flash_image recovery recovery.img
* cat recovery.img > /system/recovery.img

Now you have root!
Now that you have root, you will want to apply “Hard SPL” to your phone. HardSPL is what will allow you to apply flash images from other regions (like UK on US phones, and vice versa), create full backups of your phone, install the latest build from the Android source, and usually resurrect your phone if it is “bricked”. You have already downloaded the file to your SD card, so now you can apply it.

1. Power off your phone.
2. Start up in recovery mode by holding home and pressing power.
3. You will now enter recovery mode. You should see an exclamation.
4. If you do not see a menu on screen, press Alt-L to show the menu.
5. Press Alt-S to apply the update from the SD card.
6. After the update is complete, hold Home and press Back to restart.

And now, the last step! You are still running an old version of Android, but you want to upgrade to the latest and greatest update! You can do this, and not lose root by downloading modified versions of the updates.

Download one of the latest ROMs to install, I recommend JF1.5:

JesusFreke 1,51

Haykuro Builds

The Dude’s Cupcake 1.2 Full
The Dude’s Cupcake 1.1a Lite (No 3rdparty/dev apps/Manup Blue Theme)

You will also want to apply the latest radio update from HTC. Install the same way as the system image:

HTC Downloads Page

To install the latest build (instructions from Haykuro):

1. Gain root (follow the various threads available on the forums to accomplish this).
2. Download the latest build above.
3. Copy to your sdcard as update.zip
4. Power off your phone.
5. Hold the Home button, and power on the device. (This should send you into recovery mode).
6. Press ALT+B to create a nandroid backup (if you wish to fall back without losing any data later, if you do go back to RC33 [or any other firmware 1.0 update] you will need to reflash your radio, users have reported problems using the new radio on the old firmwares.)
7. Press ALT+W, then ALT+S.
8. wait for it to finish, then home+back.

There you have it. I hope I gave proper credit and backlinks to the awesome people that make this possible. Now you can brag about your new Cupcake and also do all the cool stuff with root, like install full Linux distros, tether your phone, and install apps on the SD card.

77 comments for "The Official "How to Root my Android Phone" Thread"

8 years ago '04        #2
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
This only for the g1
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '05        #3
JaiMega 
space
space
$15,133 | Props total: 18 18
 Kazel said:
Here is a guide I found on Wiki, I think this applies to all android phones, but I have only tried it on my G1
Hell no.
 8 years ago '04        #4
Kazel 1 heat pts OP
space
space
$5,433 | Props total: 453 453
Meh, I was just postin what I found
 8 years ago '09        #5
Gonzilla 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,485 | Props total: 57 57
What's a good rooting method for the MT3G?

I've been told to not use Unlocker and to stay away from something called "Cyaonagen Mod" or whatever (spelling?) the hell that is.

Unlocker was pretty easy, IMO, he used a MyTouch and does it on video.

And where's a good place to get roms from? Anything besides XDAdevelopers or whatever that site it, or is that pretty much the s**t right now?
 8 years ago '05        #6
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
$809 | Props total: 78 78
is it really worth doing rooting the phone i mean yea you get a newer version of whatever system but the processor is still the same so its not like its any faster really cuz I have a mytouch3g and i;m like on and off about doing it if somebody has some input hook it up
 8 years ago '09        #7
Gonzilla 1 heat pts
space
space
^Yeah it won't replace the processor obviously, but I think running Android 2.0 or 2.1 would be pretty cool. Like, when I rooted it the first time, I was running a Hero Rom on it and it looked awesome.

It was a really old one though, so it was messing up going slow so I decided to unroot it and now i'm back on Android 1.6, stock mytouch firmware.

Also, I think the new versions of Android support multi-touch (unless it's the processor), so that'd be pretty badass to have "pinch-zooming" on Dolphin Browser. Rooting it might not make the phone faster, but it'll change the way it runs. How it looks (depending on the rom you get).

If you find a good way to root it, let me know, since we have the same phone.
 8 years ago '05        #8
Adamsville 131 heat pts131
space
space
$12,435 | Props total: 591 591
theunlockr.com
 04-14-2010, 04:04 PM         #9
Brand0n031 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Here is the process for MYTOUCH 3G if you have any questions just ask.

And FYI, mytouch 3g = magic 32b
Also, this isnt for that mytouch fender edition, so don't try it

Do at your own risk, but I guarantee it works fine if done correctly.
 8 years ago '05        #10
space
space
^ Amon Ra 1.62 Recovery >>>> CM recovery, especially that outdated one
 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM         #11
Brand0n031 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Adamsville said:
^ Amon Ra 1.62 Recovery >>>> CM recovery, especially that outdated one
Correct, I use Amon Ra 1.62, but I just wanted to post a direct tutorial, either way both will work.
 8 years ago '05        #12
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
so if i want to use the nexus one rom on my mytouch3g where would i be able to find that or if anybody knows of any sicker roms fill me in i've decided i'm going to do it lol hope i dont mess it up
 8 years ago '05        #13
space
space
 SupremeG56 said:
so if i want to use the nexus one rom on my mytouch3g where would i be able to find that or if anybody knows of any sicker roms fill me in i've decided i'm going to do it lol hope i dont mess it up

ROM heaven... just find the forum for your phone and go to the Development section

Super D 1.10.3 is fast and stable, and you can get it with the Nexus launcher
 8 years ago '05        #14
space
space
 AK1 said:
Somebody wanna help me out here? I just got the g1 (yes I am slow on phones) but I like it. Wtf exactly is rooting your phone? What advantages/disadvantages does this have?
Posted via Mobile Device
Why should you root your Dream/G1?

* You can install a full Linux distribution, like Debian.
* You can run applications that require root, like Screenshot and Auto Rotate your Browser and or any other application.
* You can install the latest Android build directly from the Android source tree.
* Customize your boot image.
* Create full backups of the state of your phone.
* Create custom ROMs.
* Install Applications to your SD Card to save space.
* Use your phone as a tether to connect your computer/laptop to the internet.
* Turn your phone into a wireless router that provides internet access.
 8 years ago '09        #15
Gonzilla 1 heat pts
space
space
WTF @ ^Those last 2 reasons. Hmmm...
f**k, I didn't know you had to root the phone for that. I thought you could do it stock, but I figured I just didn't know how (where to go on the phone, what settings to mess with) Ha .

Hey, but i've been told to not use that CyanogenMod.
I forgot why, I think something about it's not supported somewhere or you can't do something after you install it. Im not sure what it was.
 8 years ago '05        #16
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
well I have to admit I figured it out took me 3 hours lol but i did it I'm running the eclair 2.1 and its unbelievable also downloaded the overclock wdiget I feel like I got the new HD2 or something thanks above for filling me in I'm luvin it
 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM         #17
Brand0n031 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
@ Gonzilla, cyanogenmod is fine, it is the most stable rom in my opinion.

@ SupremeG56, good to hear you did it, but as personal recommendation if you want to see your phone go as fast as possible and have the most stability you should try out the Super D rom. If you can't find it i'll link you.
 8 years ago '05        #18
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
yea if you can find it let me know i think I may have found the 1.10.3 I'll try and upload to see what happens
 8 years ago '05        #19
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
can I just install the rom as I did last time well per steps from unlockr.com
 04-15-2010, 04:26 PM         #20
Brand0n031 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
You will have to download the rom you want onto your SD card, reboot into your recovery, do a wipe (and should also do a nandroid backup incase), then flash the rom from your sd card.

I know it's a vague description for you since you probably don't know much on it, but take a look at this thread it has some directions within the first post and some good help within the thread:

If you need any specific help, look around first on that specific forum cause all answers are there, but if you can't figure it out just ask, i'm just sparing myself the hassle of writing out a full guide right now.
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
84 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
74 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
53 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
112 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
122 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
72 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
195 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy