The Hip Hop Underground Thread

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
206 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
255 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
91 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA After losing seven straight, Stan Van Gundy calls out Andre Drummond, Pist..
40 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '04        #21
VegaTheChosen|M 4 heat pts OP
space
space
$4,273 | Props total: 1 1
Cage: Life Changes, feature by AllHipHop

Imagine this: You grow up getting abused by a psychotic father that leads you to numb your pain with drugs. After spending time in a mental institution as a test subject for fluoxetine (an antidepressant), you trade the straitjacket for a microphone, and begin a critically acclaimed—if commercially overlooked—rap career.

That would be a quick glimpse at the life of Chris Palko, better known as Cage, a Definitive Jux-signed artist who’s experienced a long-winding, strange career for the last 16 years. His latest release, Depart from Me---a “hip-hop-influenced” experimental follow-up to the highly acclaimed Hell’s Winter---has garnered criticism from both fans and critics. (Not to mention the comments on the new “emo” look he’s been rocking.) But, despite a hint of irritation in his voice, Cage claims he’s not annoyed. “I don’t really care,” he says. “Everything is trivial to me right now besides music, family, and friends.”

A calmer, gentler Cage? Well, overall he’s in a better place both mentally and physically. The long-awaited Weathermen album is in the works, and his biopic project with Shia Lebouf is still happening. Although the death of Camu Tao has damaged his spirit, Cage says he hasn’t consoled himself with drugs. “I just got sick of doing that s**t,” he says. “People change you know?” And change, at least for Cage, has been good.

AllHipHop.com: How’s the reception for the new album so far?

Cage: I got one s**tty review from Pitchfork, but it’s not like I care about what they think. I got 4/5 in Spin. That means a lot to me than getting a 10 from Pitchfork. I mean I didn’t even know what Pitchfork was until they reviewed it so I could care less what they’re thinking.

AllHipHop.com: Don’t you think they had a point? The album received some negative feedbacks from the hip-hop crowd.

Cage: I don’t live for anyone else. And I damn sure not live for a bunch of f**king-s***ty-dirt rags, f**king newspapers, and f**king blogs. If you add up collectively, all these reviews, and all these opinions add up to like 40 people. There’s a bunch of Hip-Hop blogs saying, “Oh, this isn’t Hip-Hop.” I don’t give a f**k what some dude who doesn’t make rap records thinks of it. If you don’t even write music, or make music for a living, why do you publicly critique music? I mean I don’t think Hip-Hop music needs me or anyone else to expand it bigger than what it is already. And if you loved Movies for The Blind, and Hell’s Winter so much more than this, well, where the f**k was you when I was making them? I rather have a 16-year-old who found out my music two months ago and loves it than kids who loved my music for 10 years, and hate it now.

AllHipHop.com: What lead to this type of music in the first place?

Cage: I just got tired of making the same s**t as everyone else. What was I supposed to do? Use auto-tune?

AllHipHop.com: Were you happy with Jay-Z’s response?

Cage: Yea, good for him! For not f**king going the same route as everyone else.

AllHipHop.com: Obviously, the record is very rock-influenced. Can you tell me certain rock artists that you were influenced by?

Cage: To correct you, it’s a Hip-Hop-influenced record. It’s just a very different Hip-Hop record. I kind of wanted to take what I was doing as a rap artist, and turn rap on its side and kick it in the balls.

AllHipHop.com: Ouch. But I recall hearing that Nine Inch Nails was an influence.

Cage: No, not at all. People who are writing rap articles or whatever; their point of reference is so f**ked up. What we said about the Nine Inch Nails influence was for one song called "I Found My Mind In Connecticut." We had been listening to Nine Inch Nails a lot that week and there was a sound that was stuck in our heads, and we said, “This sounds so much like Nine Inch Nails! I’m going to write a Nine Inch Nails-style hook.” Yea, I grew up listening to them in the early ’90s and I still like them, but it’s not my sole influence. I grew up listening to Slick Rick. That’s how the record is inspired. I wanted to write visual stories, didn’t want to dress like a bum, and look different from the rest like Slick Rick.

AllHipHop.com: He’s definitely one of the pioneers who brought those factors out.

Cage: Yea, from angel dust, storytelling raps, being institutionalized, and caring about the appearance---I have a lot in common with Slick Rick.

AllHipHop.com: Tell me about the latest projects Cardboard City’s been working on.

Cage: We’re working on the new Weathermen stuff. I know there’s a song that leaked with Breeze, Yak, and El called “Reports Of A Possible Kidnapping.” The main project I’m working on right now is with me, and Shia. He’s in New York and working on the new Oliver Stone film Money Never Sleeps [Wall Street 2] and we’re going to be getting a lot of work done going towards the Cage film.

AllHipHop.com: Since you mentioned The Weathermen, can we expect an album?

Cage: Yes, we’re putting music together for an album, and the lineup is: myself, Tame One, Aesop [Rock], Breeze Brewin, El-P, Yak Ballz, and Camu Tao who’s also on the record…also look out for Camu Tao’s record King of Hearts, which is an unfinished album.

AllHipHop.com: Did Camu Tao’s passing affect the creative process of Depart from Me?

Cage: I just kept going in the direction that we had been going in, which was a more rock approach. It seems like rap went to a more R&B route, so Camu and I decided to go onto a different route. Originally, it was supposed to be Sean doing the guitars, and Camu doing the drum programs, like a hybrid throwback.

AllHipHop.com: What’s Camu Tao’s album like?

Cage: It’s a hard record to describe. There’s almost like a Buddy Holly-vibe to certain songs mixed with electro-futuristic rap. When he passed, a lot of us were really sad because he had all these materials back in ’04. You hear his music and you hear how insanely brilliant, and catchy it is. It’s going to sound really current like it came out right now.

AllHipHop.com: What is Camu’s involvement in The Weathermen album?

Cage: It wasn’t until Camu got sick. When we got around wanting to do it, he was too sick to even finish his own records. Instead of getting checked up when he felt ill, he wrote songs about thinking he was dying and how ill he was. Instead of going to the hospital, he wrote music. This kid literally died for music. He would write songs like, “death, where have you been all my life” before he was diagnosed with cancer. He was out on the road performing, and tumbling over in pain every night, and it just adds creepiness to the story. The Weathermen project is something we unfortunately didn’t get to do when Camu was alive.

AllHipHop.com: Is there a specific theme that The Weathermen project is trying to approach?

Cage: Originally, people expected more of a political-type record, and I feel like politics will be a major tone of the record, but not necessarily government politics, but more politics of life, and corporate rule.

AllHipHop.com: Can the fans expect to hear you rap again?

Cage: Pretty much, I still love doing that music. I write that s**t all the f**king time because it’s where I came from, but I know that it’s not going to get me anywhere.

AllHipHop.com: Can you expand?

Cage: It’s not challenging to me anymore, and to be honest with you, it was doing absolutely nothing for me. You wouldn’t read a review about me in The Source or XXL, see me on BET, or listen to me on Hot 97. That world rejected me and doesn’t want anything to do with me. I’m going to make and write music that challenges me. That’s not a challenge; it’s impossibility.

AllHipHop.com: Good point.

Cage: I don’t know, I think again its politics; Eminim just opens the door for everyone and just shuts it upon entering it.

AllHipHop.com: Why do you say that?

Cage: Because everything after him is going to be [considered] fraud. Everything after him is k!lling other artists of similar backgrounds rather than making a credible doorway for those artists.

AllHipHop.com: Are you saying it wasn’t his skills but the support he got from people like Dr. Dre that made him successful?

Cage: I think it’s a matter of skill. It’s definitely clear now he’s very talented. But of course, you don’t see too many artists that come out and be successful in the mainstream without some sort of co-signs involved. Maybe my music just wasn’t for the masses at the time, maybe it still isn’t.

AllHipHop.com: What were your thoughts on a former member of The Weathermen---Copyright---doing a song criticizing Asher Roth?

Cage: I don’t think that’s moving forward, I don’t think it either affects Asher Roth one bit, or Copyright. I don’t think anything’s going to come from it. In this insane-f**king business, where people’s lives are just destroyed, I don’t wish anyone ill.

AllHipHop.com: I see. I feel like, compared to the Cage in the past, you’ve changed---from your music to the way you’re conducting this interview for example.

Cage: I think it was about ’03 when I just stopped doing all the angel dust. Once I cleared my head up a little bit, I realized that I was completely unhappy. I couldn’t pay my bills, I was doing shows for little money, and you just have that moment of clarity and think, “How many pies in the face are you going to take?” It’s a culmination of a lot of things, and if I’m more aware during interviews, it’s because I’m not f**ked up every day, and looking to say stupid things and be an idiot.

AllHipHop.com: Did you quit drugs completely?

Cage: I mess around with weed, and alcohol. Everything else I have no time for. No time for pills, never was into cocaine, no heroin, no narcotics of any sort.

AllHipHop.com: Let’s talk about the video that Shia just directed for you.

Cage: It was interesting. He was on "106 & Park," and he shouted me out, and the entire audience clapped and cheered, as if they knew who the f**k I was, and I thought it was amazing, because I realized that was the first and the last time I would ever be on BET. [Laughs.] Yea he shot the video, we wanted to make it something different, since its not your typical single.

AllHipHop.com: Any naysayers?

Cage: There are people who hate it, or say, “It’s a disgrace to Hip-Hop!” That’s coming from the mouths of people who have never done anything for Hip-Hop. Like, you write a f**king blog, you’re not doing anything but giving your f**king opinion. Go out and f**king create rather than sitting there and critiquing things, and expecting the world to give a f**k about what you think.

AllHipHop.com: You don’t like bloggers?

Cage: Suddenly, music fans have become some sort of business-savvy-opinionated writers or A&Rs. Like whenever you get way-over-the-top criticism, just the fact that there are so many pseudo-writers popping out with faux journalism like, “I have a blog, I’m a journalist!” No you’re not! What’s crazy to me is to all those self-proclaimed idiots we’re all a bunch of f**king clowns at the end of the day. So when people are critiquing my music, I’ll have you all know, I make silly-ass-f**king music so the only thing that’s sillier than my music, is some f**king retard whose f**king a** hurts over listening to my silly-a** music.
 8 years ago '04        #22
space
space
new Mr Hyde Hip-Hop Game Interview
Are you happy so far with how your latest album Chronicles of the Beast Man is doing?

Yeah. As far as the reactions, I’m getting a positive reaction but nobody that didn’t like my first album doesn't like this album. A lot of people are enjoying it. The only negative feedback I’m having if you can call it negative is that some people like Barn better but both albums are me so that’s cool. (laughs) I feel like it’s all good. But as far as everything else, I haven’t had a negative response from anybody who’s a Hyde fan or that type of fan and most people, even people who were sleeping on my first album, now they say I stepped my game up with the lyrics and the flows that I use. I’m pretty happy with the feedback. But as far as record sales and stuff, that is what it is. They’re down right now. Record sales are at an all-time low for the whole industry. You can imagine for an independent artist that everyone is downloading. I have to go on the road and promote and it’ll pick up. It’s doing as well as my first album did, which is cool.

How much do fans’ opinions affect the new music you’re going to make?

You know what? I’m a very competitive person as it is so I’m always out trying to outdo my last piece of work. Whatever was my last verse I’m trying to outdo it and do something crazier. No matter what happens I’m always trying to improve and flip some new s**t and come crazy with it. That’s the essence of a dope artist. The first album is usually the artist’s best album and then they fall off and get lazy.

And I do keep tabs on what people say. Everybody’s got haters but if there’s an overwhelming amount of people who say one thing, like on my first album a lot of people were saying I didn’t switch up my flow enough and my flow was repetitive and a lot of people were saying the same s**t and they would like to hear me switch it up, so I listened and this time I switched up my wordplay and played around with it. I proved the people who said I didn’t switch up my flow, I proved to them that I can and I obviously did on this album. So I do take criticism into my goals for the next project if there’s a lot of people saying it. If it’s just a few haters, I can tell what’s hate and if they’re just criticizing it over and over. There are also people’s opinions who I respect like the people who are close to me. I feel like I can evolve. I evolve with every record I put out and every verse I drop and I get better with everything I do so I can’t see how I can’t be improving.

Do you think you have a lot of hardcore hip-hop fans or do you find you have a lot of metal fans as that’s always been a big influence in your music?

It’s a mix but I feel I have more hip-hop fans. I think that it’s great. I don’t care who listens to my music as long as they can feel it and get energy from it. My music is to pump people up. You’ll see hip-hop kids at my shows moshing like a metal mosh pit. It’s very versatile. People who love hip-hop love my s**t and people who love metal love my s**t. A lot of my fans love both. They like the same things I like. They like Metallica and Nas. I think that’s the mass of my fans. They kind of like the same s**t that I like.

What inspired you when recording Chronicles of the Beast Man?

The first thing that inspires me is my demented brain! (laughs) Anything that I see, whether it’s a movie or something on the street or just something that happens in life, I always have my demented view on it. I have a warped sense of reality. That gets stored into my brain and when I pick up a pen and f**king write it always comes out as some crazy s**t. What happened is that I haven’t put out a solo album since 2004. I had to put something out.

When Necro was working on his death Rock record and he had no time, he had a few beats that he said he could give me but he really didn’t have time to make my beats but my boy Sean Strange was coming up. He wanted me to listen to his beats and he said he made them especially for me. I checked them out and they were so ill. I started recording. That’s what kind of inspired me. I hadn’t put out an album in awhile. Circle of Tyrants and Street Villains were dope but the fans said they needed a new album from me. The fans really pushed me into it.

And at the time we were doing a lot of touring with Necro. I was busy enough because I’m Necro’s hypeman on tour. I was busy on tour and I had put out my demos the year before and that was doing well and selling. I was chilling but I had to get the solo Hyde record in. It was mostly that. I didn’t have an album out in awhile and people were on my case. But yeah, I have to be consistent and drop something and I feel like I did. I laced it and the fans were happy.

And I’m working on my next s**t. I’m working on a record with Necro called Gruesome Twosome. That’s going to be a straight gore record, me and him rapping violence from beginning to end on low budget gore beats. I’m always working now. Now that I got the creative juices going I can’t stop.

Necro produced your entire first album Barn of the nekkid Dead. Did you find that not having his beats brought out another side of Hyde?

I think it’s dope for the fans to hear me over different production. That also helps the whole criticism of being one-dimensional. Now they hear me able to flow over different beats and different production and I can still come off. I feel I laced those beats incredible over Sean Strange’s production and I feel I gave my boy a chance to shine. He’s dope. Actually Strange got his shot to put out his solo record on Psychological because of the beats he gave me on Chronicles of the Beast Man. Necro was impressed and Strange was able to hand over his whole project. Strange is a dope artist and it definitely gave me a chance to show that I could shine over different types of production. IF you listen the beats are more up-tempo and at a faster pace, like a machine-gun sounding, quick beats like that. I jumped on that and it wasn’t slow, torturous, grinding beats like I used in the past. I also love experimenting with different production on different things but who’s to say if Necro wasn’t busy that I wouldn’t have had a whole Necro-produced album anyway? Who would have even known? It’s all good. OI have two of the best producers on my team. I love it.

You’re a big horror movie buff. Did any movies inspire your rhymes this time around?

I’m always inspired by horror movies. I used to work at a video store when I was younger and I used to go downstairs and rent the most brutalist and weird movies. It was called “The Basement Section.” It was movies that hadn’t been rented in 10 years and they got them out of the way and if somebody wanted them we had to go down to the basement to get them. They were low budget and weird.

That’s where I found Barn of the nekkid Dead. That’s a ‘70s horror movie and the title was so crazy that I heisted it. Chronicles of the Beast Man is a ‘70s horror movie too. It’s a real low budget, crazy, grind house horror movie and I heisted that too and Photoshop’ed it. I was inspired by that and the samples. I like to give it that cinematic feel.

I’ll be watching Hell Raiser and Pinhead’ll say something sick and I’ll be like, ‘Oh, I gotta take that and hook it up and make a song out of it’ like when he said, “Married to pain.” I made a song titled that and that was directly inspired by a horror flick. But most of the time I’ll be inspired by the beat and if the song has a certain feel, like a horror intro and it’s consistent with what I’m talking about in the song then I’ll link them together. But I’m always watching horror flicks and most of the time my lyrics come straight out of my own head and it’s affected by all the horror flicks and all the violence.

In a way you were kind of like Randall in Clerks.

Yeah, definitely! (laughs) And I pretty much treated the customers the same way Randall did. (laughs) I was f**ked up. On Mother’s Day I remember we were watching Kudjo. We were only able to watch PG-13 movies. We couldn’t watch horror movies or real f**ked up movies in the store before 9 o’clock because kids and old ladies would come in. We were watching Kudjo on Mother’s day and some old lady came in and it was actually just the scene where the dog was jumping up on the window of the car and bludgeon the mother and she said, “Oh, that’s a nice thing to be watching on Mother’s Day.” I told the lady, “Everybody should watch a mother get bludgeoned by a wild dog on Mother’s Day.” The lady stopped and walked out and we didn’t give a f**k. But we would always have The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast and we’d switch it real quick like, ‘Yeah, we’re watching The Little Mermaid!’ We would be watching Hell Raiser Part 3 and he’d walk in and we’d be switching the tape.

Did you have the job for very long?

Yeah! I had the job for like four years because I was the best. Nobody knew as much about movies as I did. They couldn’t fire me even though I was a sarcastic idiot to the people who came in. I was an idiot and didn’t give a f**k. I did my thing. Most of the time I was watching videos and writing rhymes or picking stuff out that I wanted to watch that night. People would ask for something and I would be like, ‘Nah, it’s out’ because I wanted to watch it. I had it in my bag in the back! (laughs) I enjoyed the video store. It gave me a lot of movies. I got over 1,000 movies. I was buying s**t and stealing s**t too. “Can I have this?” “No.” I would steal it anyway. That was fun. That’s like a dream job, man. Quentin Tarantino was working at a video store and he became a huge director. I was working at a video store and I became a huge rap star! (laughs)

Because Necro grinds so hard, how much does that help you and your creative process?

He’s a big influence on me, business-wise. Before I met Necro I was already rhyming and I was already sick. That’s why I sought out to meet Necro because he was one of the only people I had ever seen that rapped evil over dope beats. I had to meet up with this guy. I thought the underground was watered down and it just wasn’t brutal enough. It was weak. Everybody’s rapping all these nice lyrics. Hip-hop was too pretty and we took a razor and sliced it. Running his own label and doing it himself, I learned how to hook up some s**t. I’m not even half of what he is but this new album, I actually totally funded out of my own pocket. I totally funded it from scratch. I mixed it and mastered it on my own. Obviously there were engineers and s**t but I paid for it and I went out and got the beats and production I needed and I just handed him a finished product and it felt good to be able to do that on my own where everybody else needs help and funding and advances. I was just happy to be able to do that on my own. The first album was 100% executive produced by Necro and I was able to hand in my own record this time and was able to do my own s**t and stand on my own two in this hip-hop game. It made me realize that I gotta get up off my a.ss and just get up and do it.

Does that mean we’ll get more Mr. Hyde music?

For sure. In 2009 you’re going to get the group album and in late 2009 or 2010 there will be another Hyde solo album dropping and that one may be half Necro and half Strange. Ill Bill is doing some beats now and there might be some Ill Bill beats. There are a lot of cats in the industry I might get beats from and it’s just going to allow me to elevate every time. I’m like the alien that starts off with two heads and by the end of this I’ll be the alien with 20 heads. You won’t be able to k!ll me.

When fans meet you at shows do they expect you to be as hardcore as your rhymes?

Sometimes fans are surprised that I’m so approachable. You can come up to me and be like, ‘Yo, Hyde, blah blah blah.’ I’ll stop and sign autographs and be a normal person. Part of being me is being normal and being a real cat. I have that side where I’m a violent maniac but everybody has that side, some more than others. I’m more apt to beat the s**t out of somebody if they disrespect me where someone else may just say, “f**k you.” I have violent characteristics and I can get crazy but if you show me love I’m cool. If people are showing me love and they’re cool with me, I’m going to reciprocate. I’m not an a**hole. I’m a people person. I love to talk to people and get their views on s**t. I’ll ask a fan what they think of the new album. I’ll talk to a fan and make him feel important so they can tell that I care. They can tell I care from the music that I put out. I put out the best possible s**t that I can. I give it my all. I take pictures with them. I stop. They’re the reason why I’m able to live off hip-hop. I let people know that it’s appreciated. And you guys too. You’re doing interviews and helping me out and getting the album exposure. That’s the way the whole thing works. It’s like an oiled machine. We gotta all help each other out.

As far as Psychological Records goes, how much do you work with other artists on the label?

I’m involved. A lot of these younger cats that are signed to Psychological, I’ve been there since the label was first created. When Necro first created the label I was helping him and running around with him to different places and trying to hook up the label. A lot of people look at me as a veteran and I’m really close to Necro and they look up to me in a way. I’m on their album to always help them. I’m supporting them at their in-stores and their shows, I don’t care who it is. And I’ll be there selling my merch too! (laughs) Whatever. I’m there to support everybody. If I can offer any advice I do and they’ll come to me for advice. I just laced Sean Strange’s album. I made a guest appearance for that. I went to the studio and laced it last night and that came out dope. I’m on Q-Unique’s album. He’s his own thing. He’s been in the game for a long time and he’s one of the people that I look up to as far as always being the game and just grinding through. His live performance is dope and I get tips from him on breath control and just little tidbits from him on how to be ill onstage and s**t. We all help each other. It’s like a family. We’re all down for each other and we all have each other’s f**king backs. We’re all down to brawl for each other! (laughs) It’s dope. It’s like a big brotherhood.

What’s the next move for Mr. Hyde?

I’m gonna go back and watch football! (laughs) It’s football Sunday. I’m going to watch the rest of the football games. But as fart as musically, me and Necro are going on a tour. So we’re going to hook that up and hopefully cake off that and make some money and I’ll be dropping a Mr. Hyde Rare Demos Volume 2 real soon. And we’re going to put out Gruesome Twosome next year. It’s a crazy album that Necro produced everyone on it. We’re just rapping some real violent s**t and little by little I’ll be working and you’ll see me featured on Q-Unique’s new album and Sean Strange’s new album. I’m basically featured on everyone’s albums that are coming out on Psychological. I want people’s grandmothers to know who the f**k I am and that’s it.
 08-08-2009, 04:19 PM         #23
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 VegaTheChosen said:
AllHipHop.com: Since you mentioned The Weathermen, can we expect an album?

Cage: Yes, we’re putting music together for an album, and the lineup is: myself, Tame One, Aesop [Rock], Breeze Brewin, El-P, Yak Ballz, and Camu Tao who’s also on the record…also look out for Camu Tao’s record King of Hearts, which is an unfinished album.
WMs UPPPPPPPPPP!
 8 years ago '04        #24
space
space
Vast now got the audio Diss for Cage called Battle of the Planets checkit out here
 08-08-2009, 07:36 PM         #25
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I wanna see a f**king full blown beef on wax here. That would be the illest s**t.

Best shot at Cage on that diss "you ain't the illest 4 letter I'll sever ya alphabeta".
 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM         #26
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
New Apathy album "Wanna Snuggle?" is done.
My new album "Wanna Snuggle?" is done.

I have a couple things I have to tweak, but I'm sending it in to be manufactured in a week or two. The album probably won't be available to purchase for a few months. That's just how the process goes. But the dope part is... I'll be leaking previews, some artwork, and info about the album. So stay tuned.

It's album time!!!

Guest appearances include : all of The Demigodz (ofcourse), Cypress Hill, Phonte (of Little Brother), Chip-Fu, J-Live, Blue Raspberry, Holly Brook and more.

Production done mostly by myself... but Mike Shinoda produces "Shoot First" featuring Cypress Hill and Celph Titled

Stay tuned for more info.

COMING SOON

8 years ago '04        #27
space
space
niiice halftimeethanks forthe news
 08-08-2009, 10:47 PM         #28
graydome 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
checking in... good work on the thread vega
 8 years ago '04        #29
space
space
The History of MHZ

In 1998 an unknown group of emcees & producers did two things completely unheard of; a) They made Hip Hop history by being the very first rap group ever to release music on a worldwide level- (as documented in Vibe Magazine’s The History of Hip Hop) & b) They released a single on vinyl. This 5 man squad consists of Jakki da Mota Mouth (”God Vs. Satan,” “Psycho Circus”) Tage Future (”Highly Recomended Vol.1″) RJD2 (”Dead Ringer.” “Since We Last Spoke” & “The Third Hand”) Copywrite (”The High Exhaulted,” “Control Control Vol.1,” “The Jerk Vol.0″) & Camu Tao (”Smashy Trashy”) who passed away on May 25th, 2008 after a two year battle with lung cancer.

Ok, here’s where this blog STOPS sounding like someone other than me wrote it. The reason we all (MHz) finally decided to say “f**k it!” & re-release this CD was a few reasons. Back in 2007 I saw it on Amazon.com for $89.50 & found it as ridiculous as our fans must have. Secondly, (in my humble opinion) this music was way ahead of its time, & thirdly, Camu Tao’s portion of the CD/download sales go to his mother.
We recorded TS between 1996 & 2000. This was before we had any outlet for our music. Regrettably, Jakki (my brother and best friend) were not on speaking terms, that’s why he’s not on as many of the old songs as he should have. We all used to be in this huge rap clique called “Opium Prodigy”, which consisted of myself, Jakki, his brother Terrell, Illogic (yes, that Illogic… aka Jawarr who used to run track at Cos H.S.) Pest, Curt Quinn, Ty Sticks, Floo-Kat, Tread, P-Pa Smurf, E.C. Lakeem & Camu (then spelled Ckcamaaü.) This Wu-Tangesque line up of MC’s was broken into 2 sides. One remained Opium Prodigy & the other half became The Megahurtz, a group name that I had come up with to give to my friends group but they weren’t diggin’ it. Table Scraps reminds me of back when we would stay up all night recording at O-Sharp’s studio on Morse Road & The Intalec’s basement sessions (where I recorded the better half of “T.H.E.”). This was back before anyone else took interest in our music, Back when Camu & I would do local shows for 50 bucks only to spend it all that night at “Tee Jay’s Country Place” (Barnyard Buster, please.)

Anyway, my ADD is getting the better of me. We met Tage Future later through Rashad aka Shaddy Shad the baptist (The 3rd , Motown recording artist). Even later, we met RJD2 at a show Camu & I had at Skankland’s (now known as Skully’s on High St.) Our DJ called in sick & RJ was there so we asked him if he could DJ for us. The chemistry was there. Me & Camu didn’t have a car then so on the way to his mom’s house on Lilly & Main st., we listened to Kool Keith or old stupid joke song tapes we used to make. This album is important to all of us for many different reasons.
Bobbito Garcia heard the demo in ‘98 after we all dropped it off at his Footworks store in Philly & New York (where Yakballz happened to work at the time). A month passed & we thought he wasn’t feeling it- then out of the blue our manager [Nelson Morales] received an answering machine message from Bobbito stating he played “World Premier” on his WKCR radio show (Voted Best Hip Hop show of all time by the Source magazine) & wanted to release it as a single. So there it is. Basically this album was never the official release from us as MHz, but s**t happens & the living members are working on the next MHz album entitled “Tero Smith.” (Tero being Camu’s real name.) Our mission as MHz is to keep our High School Friends legacy going. Hope my true friends do the same when I’m gone. Make sure to cop the version on Man Bites Dog Records & NOT NCS Records. The only version of “Table Scraps” that helps us & the Smith family is the version on Man Bites Dog Records. Look for this album at Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Borders, ughh.com
 08-09-2009, 03:06 PM         #30
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 VegaTheChosen said:
The History of MHZ

In 1998 an unknown group of emcees & producers did two things completely unheard of; a) They made Hip Hop history by being the very first rap group ever to release music on a worldwide level- (as documented in Vibe Magazine’s The History of Hip Hop) & b) They released a single on vinyl. This 5 man squad consists of Jakki da Mota Mouth (”God Vs. Satan,” “Psycho Circus”) Tage Future (”Highly Recomended Vol.1″) RJD2 (”Dead Ringer.” “Since We Last Spoke” & “The Third Hand”) Copywrite (”The High Exhaulted,” “Control Control Vol.1,” “The Jerk Vol.0″) & Camu Tao (”Smashy Trashy”) who passed away on May 25th, 2008 after a two year battle with lung cancer.

Ok, here’s where this blog STOPS sounding like someone other than me wrote it. The reason we all (MHz) finally decided to say “f**k it!” & re-release this CD was a few reasons. Back in 2007 I saw it on Amazon.com for $89.50 & found it as ridiculous as our fans must have. Secondly, (in my humble opinion) this music was way ahead of its time, & thirdly, Camu Tao’s portion of the CD/download sales go to his mother.
We recorded TS between 1996 & 2000. This was before we had any outlet for our music. Regrettably, Jakki (my brother and best friend) were not on speaking terms, that’s why he’s not on as many of the old songs as he should have. We all used to be in this huge rap clique called “Opium Prodigy”, which consisted of myself, Jakki, his brother Terrell, Illogic (yes, that Illogic… aka Jawarr who used to run track at Cos H.S.) Pest, Curt Quinn, Ty Sticks, Floo-Kat, Tread, P-Pa Smurf, E.C. Lakeem & Camu (then spelled Ckcamaaü.) This Wu-Tangesque line up of MC’s was broken into 2 sides. One remained Opium Prodigy & the other half became The Megahurtz, a group name that I had come up with to give to my friends group but they weren’t diggin’ it. Table Scraps reminds me of back when we would stay up all night recording at O-Sharp’s studio on Morse Road & The Intalec’s basement sessions (where I recorded the better half of “T.H.E.”). This was back before anyone else took interest in our music, Back when Camu & I would do local shows for 50 bucks only to spend it all that night at “Tee Jay’s Country Place” (Barnyard Buster, please.)

Anyway, my ADD is getting the better of me. We met Tage Future later through Rashad aka Shaddy Shad the baptist (The 3rd , Motown recording artist). Even later, we met RJD2 at a show Camu & I had at Skankland’s (now known as Skully’s on High St.) Our DJ called in sick & RJ was there so we asked him if he could DJ for us. The chemistry was there. Me & Camu didn’t have a car then so on the way to his mom’s house on Lilly & Main st., we listened to Kool Keith or old stupid joke song tapes we used to make. This album is important to all of us for many different reasons.
Bobbito Garcia heard the demo in ‘98 after we all dropped it off at his Footworks store in Philly & New York (where Yakballz happened to work at the time). A month passed & we thought he wasn’t feeling it- then out of the blue our manager [Nelson Morales] received an answering machine message from Bobbito stating he played “World Premier” on his WKCR radio show (Voted Best Hip Hop show of all time by the Source magazine) & wanted to release it as a single. So there it is. Basically this album was never the official release from us as MHz, but s**t happens & the living members are working on the next MHz album entitled “Tero Smith.” (Tero being Camu’s real name.) Our mission as MHz is to keep our High School Friends legacy going. Hope my true friends do the same when I’m gone. Make sure to cop the version on Man Bites Dog Records & NOT NCS Records. The only version of “Table Scraps” that helps us & the Smith family is the version on Man Bites Dog Records. Look for this album at Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Borders, ughh.com
I really wanna pick this up but I'm broke as f**k after I just ordered a bunch of old EC records.
 8 years ago '07        #31
Hunedz|M 38 heat pts38
space
space
$6,414 | Props total: 3 3
Any of yall know about Bukue One? Or Abstract Rude?

*I Recommend Them..
 8 years ago '07        #32
Hunedz|M 38 heat pts38
space
space
$6,414 | Props total: 3 3
Dope UG...Love this song

[video - click to view]

8 years ago '04        #33
space
space

i have never wanted to participate in any sort of public ugliness with people i once considered friends. its negative and builds nothing. its only purpose is to hurt. its a shallow action. a desperate attempt to satisfy the ugliest parts of your ego. there is no example of me disparaging, insulting, blaming, defaming or casting doubt on anyones character who i've had any type of real love for and considered crew at one point no matter how things may have turned out... no matter what they may say about me or what i may think about them behind the scenes. for me, i always thought it made one look small and angry. i always felt like that type of public ranting and vitriol reflected failure, weakness, insecurity and pettiness and i've seriously regretted it when i've been involved in anything that resembles that, even peripherally. as good as it feels in the moment it almost always backfires. the same person who (non artistically) desperately seeks public affirmation of his anger and resentment ends up actually hurting himself more in the eyes of the strangers he's trying to communicate with. by the same token, defending yourself against that type of attack plays right in to the whole thing and immediately puts you on the same level as the person attacking you. beyond that the fact is that for me, the relationships that i've had in my life that have fallen apart make me sad, not angry. the friendships that have ended in my life are a source of huge regret for me and i constantly wonder if there was something i could have done to change the outcome. so i don't have it in me to kick and scream and curse the world for not handing me everything i think i deserve. i'll do that in my music, if need be. its better that way. that much i have learned.

I'm also not the type of person who feels like he's a victim of circumstance. every choice made along the line has different results. it seems irrational and immature to me to create a world in ones head in which somehow, magically, there is an external reason that justifies every single reality of your life... and not one of those reasons is you. a world in which you are just in every action and innocent in every interaction. a life in which you only consider and retain the ideas that justify your perspective and completely ignore all other realities that exist and might, if you took a moment to consider them, make any (rational) person think a little longer before they lashed out and tried to destroy some one else's character.

it takes a special type of ego to literally delude oneself in to thinking that you have the moral right of way in every scenario. it takes clinical insanity to think things are one way when in fact they are the opposite. for instance:

lets say (as a metaphor, of course) someone was morbidly obese but thought he was a ninja. that would be kind of crazy, wouldn't it? or if that morbidly obese person didn't make the connection between his eating habits and his weight. crazy. now if that same massively, morbidly obese person walked around calling people who were less than half his weight "fat", how should they react? on the one hand its obviously crazy for this hugely fat man to be calling you fat. but on the other hand he keeps f**king saying it. over and over. to anyone who will listen.

i've tried to ignore it. i've tried to squash it. i've tried to take the high road because i a.ssumed that like me, everyone must have better things to occupy their time with. apparently not. every other day there is a new vitriolic rant aimed at dismantling me or someone i care about, despite the fact that i haven't fired one single shot in the direction they are coming from. not one.

now i don't have any interest in trying to make anyone see things the way i see them or arguing about/defending the past. i wont do the back and forth point by point defense with someone whos only path to generate any type of publicity for himself seems to be exactly that type of public argument. a person who literally is interviewing himself in order to push a smear campaign forward. a man who has made it his personal mission in life to focus all his energy on the very people who were close to the friend he claims to have loved with a constant barrage of misspelled and badly punctuated lies, insults, accusations, epithets, slander and threats. someone who seemingly has no humility or perspective on his own fallibility. someone whos anger has driven him to the edge of sanity. whos own life is seemingly so joyless and directionless that the only thing he can think to do is reach out and try and inflict pain.

and by the way, when i say "close to the friend he claims to have loved" i mean close. I'm talking that our lives will never be the same close. the real deal. the kind that comes with pain no one wants and that no one with a soul would brag about as though it were a credibility issue or as though love were something you had to prove as opposed to just feel. not the idea constructed to make you feel good about yourself or justify your perspective in the eyes of other people or yourself. friendship isn't the collective little favors you've done for someone that you keep record of and hold against them even after they die. its not a song you may have recorded with someone years ago and its not a conversation you may have had. its bigger than that.

its sad to me that you, and you know who you are, don't understand that. its painful to sit here and take your abuse knowing the true nature of your character and how utterly easy it would be to expose it. the temptation to publish certain correspondences you've been a part of is overwhelming. i have no doubt in my mind that any one who would see those would walk away from reading them with a very different perspective on your moral fiber and your character in general. a younger me would do it in a heartbeat. and yet what good would come out of it? what are we all trying to prove to each other? it would only lead to even more ranting, more insults and more bulls**t. no one would learn a thing and i would have wasted another minute of my life.

and i don't hate you. i don't want to hurt or destroy you. you were my friend. i wanted you to succeed. now i just find you to be a sad character. twisted, angry and resentful and squandering your time on mean spirited pursuits. its depressing.

now i'm sure the person i'm writing this all about will just respond in his usual manner after reading this. denial, anger, threats, capital letters, misused question marks and exclamation points and more accusations. but i've got a suggestion for a better way to proceed... just let it go. you've gotten your rocks off. you've said your peace. now make some music. stop lecturing the world and contribute while you still have time. none of this s**t means anything. at all. go make the art you believe in and spend not one more second trying to take other people down or blaming people for the place you find yourself in life. spend time with and cherish the people you love while they are still alive so you dont find yourself feeling like you have to defend the validity of your commitment to them after they're gone. be grateful for the things you have and wish no man harm. be happy or die trying. i know i will.

by the way if you truly did love Camu and were close to him then I'm sure you feel the same pain my friends and i do. if that really is the case then I'm sure the futility of arguing and f!ghting with people has never been more obvious to you. it is to me.

if you loved him then you are one of us... the heartbroken members of a club we never wanted to join... and I'm sorry for your loss.

el

ps: im not going to be approving comments about this blog. i didn't write it to rally people against anyone or to create "sides".
 8 years ago '04        #34
space
space

I wrote a very long Journal entry on my travels to Latin America and the Reaction to the President’s healthcare plan but I feel like there is one or two parts left to finish so I will wait a few days. I have not been here to post things too often because I felt that as a Revolutionary there was more to do than just put my thoughts on-line and I would rather be out there in the world being a part of it. But informing you of it would help that cause whatever it is so I will try stay in the loop more, I just hate the idea of being considered one of those rappers who blogs more than they release music. To those of you who have devoted your time and energy to the causes I have fought for I am eternally grateful and indebted. I hope that we continue to work together as a unit, a rebel army that has a reach that can travel the planet in a heartbeat.

The 14th of August is coming up, and I look forward to seeing some of you at The Knitting Factory, if you haven’t gotten your tickets already, they’re going fast. This last benefit show will help to continue funding the orphanage Omeid and I created in Kabul. I dedicated a great deal of time out of my life to this and when I saw the kids so overjoyed and bewildered by the idea that someone cared enough to give them a chance to live and learn I felt humbled beyond belief, I felt stronger than ever. As if a bullet or a death threat didn’t matter. The support base of the Rebel Army has grown so much that together I feel we can meet any challenge. Some would call that confidence, some would call it insanity, but I call it finding inner peace, and I don’t give a f**k what other people think about it.

The era of being a Louis XVI musician is at it’s death knell, artists are failing left and right because they still have this idea that regular ordinary “non-celebrity” people exist to worship and serve them in some weird semi religious capacity. Who the f**k do you think you are and how long did you think that was gonna last you spoiled b**ch. Have you cowards finally begun to understand that people are tired of that? I’m glad some of you rappers are Recession proof, but your fans aren’t a**hole and that’s why they aren’t buying your records. Even the diehard underground fans feel the squeeze of salary slashing, job cutbacks, and the local economy in shambles. Cities in Michigan, Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, California, have literally seen their economic infrastructure decimated over the past year. I am not a leader in the Underground Hip Hop community by divine right, but rather because my word is unquestionable, my ideas work and I have the power in the street to make moves and command the respect of ideological opposites.

Being independent you can’t exist without earning a more up close and personal amount of support and criticism whether fair or completely unfounded. I love having my personal space and I have definitely checked people seriously for invading it. But besides the handful of incidents, most people just wish to share ideas and when I have the time I am more than willing to politick and as long as this person is respectful answer questions (not straw man arguments), and learn from people of all races, religions, economic situations and walks of life. I hope to run a forum in the upcoming months when launches (finally) on lifting the Cuban Embargo, Socialized Medicine Vs. America’s Plan, Latin American Revolution: The Next Step, and Sikes/Piko:The Middle Eastern Blueprint.” I hope that you will all join me.

People have also been asking me to do a few tour dates before I get back to work so since times are really hard for the supporters of my music so I have decided to announce a “Recession Tour” in September after I finish a couple of dates with Jedi Mind Tricks. The first two shows in Philly and Baltimore (18th/19th) were not by my design so the price is higher but everything else on the tour is about $12adv - $15 day of show. Discount deals will be available on Merch and all that…

The dates are posted on the front page of

Sunday- Sept.20th: Charlottesville, VA

Tuesday- Sept.22nd: Carrboro, NC

Wednesday- Sept.23rd: Asheville, NC

Thursday- Sept.24th: Lexington, KY

Saturday- Sept.26th: Chicago, IL

Sunday- Sept.27th: Bloomington, IN

Monday- Sept.28th: Ann Arbor, MI

Tuesday- Sept.29th: Cleveland, OH

Wednesday- Sept.30th: Pittsburgh, PA

Friday/Sat Oct. 2nd /3rd: New York City

Following me on this trip are Poison Pen whose new album “The Money Shot” is in stores right now! J.Arch who is working on his next mixtape, and my old friend Diabolic, whose murderous debut CD “A Liar & A Thief” is being finished up right now. Please support these brothers when you see them. We are all taking a paycut and rockin’ shows for a fraction of what we would get in order to make people know that Hard Core Street Hop is alive and well. Commercial Rap is crumbling and the industry is falling apart but we are staying strong and thriving, because of the support base that wants to hear real music, real lyrics, and tough beats.

I believe that by the time I am out there the article I wrote for the Source will be in stores. You know I have always had a decent relationship with them, even when people were telling me they were a washed up dying entity I never chimed in for points. I think they still have potential for a comeback in the market. As an independent they gave me Unsigned Hype back in the day and even Hip Hop quotable off the strength of my lyrics and grind alone. But this article that is coming out was never proof read, which is what we agreed to, I don’t know what was left out or cut or recut to make it the product it is. So I might release the whole unedited version myself. Also the ˝ I gave them has already been divided into 2 parts, which means this is going to be a 3 or 4 part series if they actually seek to continue it. Afghanistan isn’t an easy thing to sum up, it can’t be compressed into the time limit of your average juvenile drama soaked worldstar video. Also the photo credits that should have gone to C.Stuart (because I didn’t take pictures of myself) were absent and on top of it somehow someone over there wrote on the byline that I was born in Colombia instead of Peru. I’m not mad because I was told these things are being corrected. So I just came here to pass along the message they passed onto me. I’m not here to throw a tantrum because a mistake was a made I am still very grateful to The Source for providing a medium for the message, I just want to keep people who support the music and the movement informed about what’s happening.

My work on the documentary that has taken so many years to compile is almost done. I am home from Peru after looking over the lands that I invested in and I am proud of what I have accomplished. My family is proud of me too, they are happy to see me come home instead of just becoming an “Assimilated Latino” that forgets about his culture and place of origin. Once “Urban Warfare” is done with filming I can return to working on “The Middle Passage” and “Revolutionary Vol.3”. I have a bunch of songs done but more ideas come to me everyday. I’m going to go back to working on some more music and possibly will leak some in the next coming weeks if I can get it down when I return from LA. Big up my dude GK (), Rami my Lebanese brother who stays hitting me up with interesting articles, and all the people who keep up with the newsletters.

Much Respect,

Immortal

Technique
 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM         #35
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Murs Reveals Projects With Slug, DJ Quik & 9th Wonder

Ever since his start in the Los Angeles underground, Murs has been making noise. By working with The Living Legends, Slug, DJ Quik, 9th Wonder and a slew of others, he’s allowed his fan base to grow through the years and after signing with a major label, he’s built his buzz even more. This week, Murs spoke to HipHopDX about his upcoming projects including a new Felt record, new music with 9th Wonder and a project with a pun rock band.

“Everything that I do from now on will be with somebody else,” he said of what fans can expect to from him. “A lot of people keep asking about Murs and 9th Wonder. It never went away. We never stopped doing s**t. We’re going to do s**t forever. So, Murs and 9th Wonder coming next year. Felt 3 coming out this year. I got a punk rock group called The Invincibles with this gang called Whole Wheat Bread coming out this year. I’ve also been working on some stuff with DJ Quik and Terrence Martin. We’re doing a whole ghetto, hood, electro, dance, s3x, party record. We’ve been working on that. We’ve got a few songs knocked out. I’ve also got Varsity Blues 2, man. So, I got like 4 records coming out. I’m going to have like 10 records in the next year, man. Stay tuned because as soon as I get free from Warner Brothers, it’s going to be a party.”

Don’t think this means that he’s retiring from solo work.

“I just think that I work better like...Me and 9th Wonder, I don’t consider that a solo project because we work together. I’m going to have solo records, it’s just like...In the punk rock band, I’m the only rapper. I’m going to start making different sounds so people don’t think that Hip Hop just has to all sound the same.”

The first of many Murs projects to drop may be the upcoming Felt record, which fans can expect to hear very soon.

“We’re going to leak a song in a couple days,” he said, adding that he wants to wait before giving out information on who this album will be a tribute to. “There’s a new producer, too.”

With a goal to release ten albums in the next year, he’s got a lot on his plate.

“I’m working on some stuff with Sick Jacken hopefully and just working with whoever wants to work. You know? If you’re out there and you want to work-as long as you’re doing something in your scene, I want to bring my kids to what you’re doing and your fans to what we’re doing and we’ll just have one big party for good music.”

Source: HHDX

FELT! 9TH!
 8 years ago '04        #36
SokeSleezy 3 heat pts
space
space
$12,974 | Props total: 121 121
Felt 3 should be crack..been a minute since ive heard those two together....Apathy FINALLY droppin something else...and im really waitin on that Vinnie Paz album,my second most anticipated album behind OB4CL2...
 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM         #37
Halftimee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hope Felt 3 sounds similar to Atmosphere's last one, Ant was def on top of his s**t there.
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '04        #38
space
space
that Paz album might be real good, I leaked the 1st track off that not long ago.
didi drop Jus Allahs new teaser in here yet?
his album gonna be called Meanest Man Alive aka MMA
 8 years ago '04        #39
space
space
here's the new one with Vintendo
 8 years ago '04        #40
space
space
NECRO is dropping a new album in 2010 called DIE! here's some news on that,
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
74 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
181 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
62 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thick as fu-k
57 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
46 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Landlord Accused Of Masturbating On Tenant's Clothes When She Wasn't H..
23 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
145 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 13 - Study: Women rate the strongest men as the most attractive
82 comments
20 hours ago