Kurt Cobain Vs Layne Staley?

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
84 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
47 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Which do u prefer?
Kurt Cobain 27 60.00%
Layne Staley 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '06        #41
Rell_Shotta 
space
space
$270 | Props total: 62 62
ALice in Chains had a heavier feel to them than Nirvana. Dont get me wrong but a lot of Kurt's songs were simple in how they were put together. they were ill too, but Layne's voice intertwined wit jerry Cantrells vocals and guitar playing wins the debate. Soundgarden and Stone Temple pilots were good too.

RIP both Layne and Kurt

Last edited by Rell_Shotta; 12-21-2009 at 10:56 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #42
therulersback 
space
space
space
$1,091 | Props total: 5 5
how can it be so close?
there's no replicating kurt cobain. but alice in chains is still around with a new singer that sounds just like layne staley.

alice in chains kept in the grunge/hard rock scene. nrivana opened the door for alternative.
 12-21-2009, 11:42 PM         #43
sloppy1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
alice in chains s**ts on nirvana...rip layne...i would take jerry cantrell over cobain anyday
 8 years ago '04        #44
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,923 | Props total: 4283 4283
I didnt vote...i would be hard to pick 1 with out the other. They compliment each other

They both get lumped into the "grunge" scene...but their music was totally different.

to put in perspective...Nirvana was The Stones, AIC was Zeppelin

Same Era different ends of the spectrum music wise.
 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM         #45
bigbarcelona  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 therulersback said:
how can it be so close?
there's no replicating kurt cobain. but alice in chains is still around with a new singer that sounds just like layne staley.

alice in chains kept in the grunge/hard rock scene. nrivana opened the door for alternative.

Actually I have to disagree.

The Pixies open the door for the sound that Nirvana obtain and bands like U2 and REM open the door for Alternative music. The Pixies inspired Nirvana and other grunge bands in the aspect that the music was play. At the beginning of the song it starts slow... chorus brings the energy up or vice and versa... but Nirvana was able to perfect that sound and put their own twist.

Even if you go back and listen to content and the way the music was play... it was inspired by the sounds of grunge which at the time was dominating the underground rock scene in Seattle. So therefore... Nirvana ended up making Grunge popular to the mainstream... while ok bringing along Alternative.

And Grunge regardless is a leg of Alternative Music.

Last edited by bigbarcelona; 12-22-2009 at 10:29 AM..
 8 years ago '06        #46
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,511 | Props total: 258 258
I agree with a lot of posts in here, but here's my 2 cents.

I'm a HUGE Nirvana fan, which they are my all-time favorite band, so of course I went with Kurt Cobain because I feel like he is/was a brilliant musician. There was no other sound like Nirvana. Even to this day, you can tell in a lot of bands (Seether, Puddle of Mudd, etc.) that seemed like they were influenced by Cobain. (Trying to scream like him, etc.) I didn't jump on the bandwagon after the death, I was lucky enough to enjoy the music while he was still here.

On the other hand, I also love some Alice in Chains, and Layne is in my top 5 favorite musicians. I just don't think he was on Cobain's level. Like someone else said, the new singer sounds like Layne himself, which no one could replace someone like Cobain and sound almost like him.
 8 years ago '08        #47
wru425 60 heat pts60
space
space
$22,243 | Props total: 5396 5396

[video - click to view]

this is my s**t...

Last edited by wru425; 12-22-2009 at 06:40 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #48
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 tupacnasfan said:
Kurt is not a legend, he had no talent, he pretty started the downfall of rock in the 90's and today and it hasn't recovered since, nirvana were basically a safe version of the s3x pistols and the clash.
lol yes he ruined the glory days of Motley Crue and Bon Jovi curse him
 12-22-2009, 07:07 PM         #49
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lol @ Kurt not being a legend.... dude... like it or not, Kurt is a legend... I don't really think Lil Wayne deserves it, but he's going to go down as a legend in the rap world to, so it's something that just happens...

Like me, I can't really get into NWA's music but they're legends...

Phase One... does the new singer sing as well as Layne did???
 8 years ago '08        #50
Tjvh616 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,398 | Props total: 1529 1529
 wru425 said:

this is my s**t...
Me too, gives me the chills. this was his last performance before he died.

Last edited by Tjvh616; 12-22-2009 at 08:05 PM..
 8 years ago '05        #51
Double M Set 5 heat pts
space
space
$6,450 | Props total: 1544 1544
^^ imma have to go with yall... just compare the unpluggeds both bands put out and you'll find that alice in chains k!lls the competition. Nirvana is way too overrated, there still good tho, not as good as alice in chains. there new singer is decent too i checked em out when they came back on tour a couple years ago here in chicago my first concert too and it was the s**t
 8 years ago '06        #52
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
 AlexG1989 said:
Lol @ Kurt not being a legend.... dude... like it or not, Kurt is a legend... I don't really think Lil Wayne deserves it, but he's going to go down as a legend in the rap world to, so it's something that just happens...

Like me, I can't really get into NWA's music but they're legends...

Phase One... does the new singer sing as well as Layne did???
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who wasn't a NWA fan. (I mean they got some good joints, but they're not something I bumped religiously.) But I do give them their props and I also consider them rap legends. Good point you made there.

But to your question, the new singer is similar to Layne, "but he's no Layne." If that makes any sense. I was hesitant at first to listen to their new album "Black Gives Way to Blue" because I knew it wouldn't be the same, and I didn't want it to tarnish their legacy and ruin it for me, because I know a lot of bands who get new singers usually ends up being a pile of s**t. But after friends talking about how great it is, and reading online, it got a lot of good reviews so I gave it a listen. I was really impressed. He's a good singer. I suggest checking out the album. "Private Hell", "Black Gives Way to Blue", "Take Her Out", "Check My Brain", and "Your Decision" are my favorite tracks.

It's got that old Alice in Chains "vibe" to it. I think that's why I like it so much.

Last edited by -Phase One-; 12-22-2009 at 11:24 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #53
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
The only thing Layne has over Cobain is writing better lyrics. You could feel both musicians pain and emotion through almost every song, but Layne showed it more through his lyrics. I feel that Cobain was a better singer and guitar player, though.

Jar of Flies is a brilliant album. Def. a classic. I think that album gets slept on when it comes to comparing AIC albums, probably because it's an EP and gets over looked.

My fav. Nirvana album is "In Utero". Nevermind is a classic, too, but I feel like that album gets more praise because that was their "break through" album, but I feel like Kurt got better on In Utero.
 12-23-2009, 12:08 AM         #54
AlexG1989  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^ I feel the same exact way to... In Utero is my favorite album by Nirvana and my fav rock album period (admittedly I don't have a deep collection yet)...

And tht's what draws me to both bands... it's how they sing... it's like you can literally feel their pain through their songs... It's like bittersweet music cuz it's so depressing yet so good...
 8 years ago '06        #55
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
 AlexG1989 said:
^^^ I feel the same exact way to... In Utero is my favorite album by Nirvana and my fav rock album period (admittedly I don't have a deep collection yet)...

And tht's what draws me to both bands... it's how they sing... it's like you can literally feel their pain through their songs... It's like bittersweet music cuz it's so depressing yet so good...

In Utero is one of my favorite rocks albums of all time, as well. I even feel that Incesticide was better than Nevermind, but that wasn't a real album, just a collection of rarities and b-sides. That's what I like about Nirvana, they didn't have 1 bad album in their selection. It may have not been a big discography, but everything they put out was good. None of their songs are skip worthy.

My favorite AIC albums are of course Jar Of Flies, and Dirt. The only album that was "meh" to me was their self-titled album.

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

[video - click to view]

12-23-2009, 12:26 AM         #56
Jerseyelite89  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tupacnasfan said:
Layne Staley of course

Kurt Nobrain and nerdvana gave grunge a bad name and it gave rock a downfall.
the only reason Nirvana got big was becuae they did nevermind, which strayed away from the traditional grunge sound...more or less because the band was listening to more pop influneces while writing...but then after they blew up with Smells like teen spirit, they brought the industry back into grunge with in utero, they if anything, helped bring those other artist atleast a little more exposure in the "mainstream"
 8 years ago '06        #57
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
 Jerseyelite89 said:
the only reason Nirvana got big was becuae they did nevermind, which strayed away from the traditional grunge sound...more or less because the band was listening to more pop influneces while writing...but then after they blew up with Smells like teen spirit, they brought the industry back into grunge with in utero, they if anything, helped bring those other artist atleast a little more exposure in the "mainstream"

I was about to type something like this in my last post, but I didn't know how to word it.
 8 years ago '04        #58
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 tupacnasfan said:
Yea s**tty bands like limp bizkit, korn-hole, puddle of mudd and other talentless alternative bands that Nerdvana brought us.

Sure they k!lled hair bands, but they have later given us the even worse music in recent history than all of the previous bands combined.

Nu Metal is the worst thing to happen to music since disco, except even worse than that.
so now he's responsible for nu metal ?

thats a first
 8 years ago '06        #59
-Phase One- 1 heat pts
space
space
 C.R.I.P. said:
so now he's responsible for nu metal ?

thats a first
 12-23-2009, 12:00 PM         #60
Jerseyelite89  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tupacnasfan said:
But he and his band also ruined rock by paving way for terrible bands of the 90's and 2000's, his revolution only lasted a little while and it's gotten worse since then.

and whomever the f**k said kurt is a legend over carlos santana and others need to be shot.
kurt was talentless and he couldn't play s**t to save his life, Dave Grohl has the most talent out of that horrible band.
you are right in having an opinion about the band, but saying he is talentless and the band was crappy says wat abouty us trying 2 defend them? i enjoy AIC unplugged, but not as much as the Nirvana unplugged changed my outlook on wordplay and music in general...i mean AIC had better developed lyrics, when broken down...but Nirvana was more into wordplay and puzzles in there songs...like look at heart shaped box, s**t is very confusing word for word unless u know the bands background, and what Kurt was going thru while writing...damn watching heart shaped box live is crazy, the way the crowd interacts...makes me wish hip hop could reach that level
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
35 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
93 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
129 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
242 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy