Why did jayz name his record lable rocafella?

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
20 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
21 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
New replies show every 10 seconds
 12-19-2009, 11:22 AM         #21
Sam Rothstein  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is why I think Jay-Z named his company after Rockefeller, I remember my history teacher saying something about "people needing oil." Rockefeller owned an oil company, but the only way he could get the oil to different places, was by railroad. So, he bought the railroads and charged his competition higher rates.

I think Jay and Dame got the ideal from this. They were taking control of their own distribution, and they didn't need anyone else, everyone else needed them, now. Illuminated is right, though

Last edited by Sam Rothstein; 12-19-2009 at 11:24 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #22
j0hncena 90 heat pts90
space
space
$11,066 | Props total: 1553 1553
<>

thats why
 12-19-2009, 11:25 AM         #23
Lungs  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rock Hudson was a very well known, well respected actor

unfortunately, he died of Aids and that was the end of his chapter

jigga named the company as a tribute to him, cuz he's a big fan of golden age Hollywood films
Posted via Mobile Device
 8 years ago '04        #24
cincinnati_kidd 
space
space
$886 | Props total: 21 21
@JAY-VAB..AND THE POSTER ABOVE ME ..THAT IS A VERY EDUCATED GUESS ..BUT THE REASON HE CHOSE THE NAME WAS NOT FROM THE OIL MAN HE CHOSE THE NAME BECAUSE OF THE ROCKEFELLER DRUG LAW WHICH IS "

"The Rockefeller drug laws is the term used to denote the statutes dealing with the sale and possession of "narcotic" drugs in the New York State Penal Law. The laws are named after Nelson Rockefeller, who was the state's governor at the time the laws were adopted. Rockefeller, a staunch supporter of the bill containing the laws, signed it on May 8, 1973.

Under the Rockefeller drug laws, the penalty for selling two ounces (approximately 56 grams) or more of heroin, morphine, "raw or prepared opium," cocaine, or cannabis, including marijuana (these latter two being included in the statute even though they are not "narcotics" from a chemical standpoint), or possessing four ounces (approximately 113 grams) or more of the same substances, was made the same as that for second-degree murder: a minimum of 15 years to life in prison, and a maximum of 25 years to life in prison. The original legislation also mandated the same penalty for committing a violent crime while under the influence of the same drugs, but this provision was subsequently omitted from the bill and was not part of the legislation Rockefeller ultimately signed. The section of the laws applying to marijuana was repealed in 1979, under the Democratic Governor Hugh Carey.

The adoption of the Rockefeller drug laws gave New York State the distinction of having the toughest laws of its kind in the entire United States — an approach soon imitated by the state of Michigan, which, in 1978, enacted a "650-Lifer Law," which called for life imprisonment, without the possibility of parole for the sale, manufacture, or possession of at least 650 grams (approximately 1.45 pounds) of cocaine or any Schedule I or Schedule II opiate.

Both the New York and Michigan statutes came under harsh criticism from both the political left and the political right (William F. Buckley, one of the most conservative public figures in America, was staunchly against it, as well as many in law enforcement), who saw inherent unfairness in placing the non-violent crime of drug trafficking on a par with murder. The laws also drew intense opposition from civil rights advocates, who claimed that they were racist, as they were applied inordinately to African-Americans, and to a lesser extent, Latinos.

Michigan's statute was reformed somewhat in 1998, with the mandatory life sentence being reduced to a 20-year minimum. On December 14, 2004, New York Governor George Pataki signed into law the Drug Law Reform Act (DLRA) (2004 N.Y. Laws Ch. 738 (effective January 13, 2005)), which replaced the indeterminate sentencing scheme of the Rockefeller Drug Laws with a determinate system and reduced mandatory minimum prison sentences for non-violent felony drug offenders. The DLRA also reduced the minimum penalty for conviction on the most serious (A-I felony) drug charge in New York from 15-life to 8 years in prison for an offender with no prior felonies. In addition, the weight thresholds for the two most serious possession offenses (A-I and A-II) were doubled, and those serving life sentences were permitted to apply for re-sentencing. Since 2004, the number of prisoners serving sentences for A-I narcotics felonies has been cut by more than half.

In his first State of the State Address in January 2009, New York Governor David Paterson was critical of the Rockefeller drug laws, stating, "I can’t think of a criminal justice strategy that has been more unsuccessful than the Rockefeller drug laws."[1]

In 2006 a documentary was filmed called Lockdown USA examining New York's Rockerfeller Drug Laws, focusing on hip-hop mogul Russell Simmon's repeal efforts and the plight of a man who is serving 15 years in prison for a drug conviction."
 8 years ago '04        #25
cincinnati_kidd 
space
space
$886 | Props total: 21 21
THE ROCKEFELLER LAW AND THE RICO LAW ARE REASONS WHY MOST 70'S AND 80'S HUSTLERS GAVE UP THE GAME ..INCLUDING JAY Z ...AN MANY OTHERS ..AN THIS s**t IZ REAL TALK
 8 years ago '08        #26
Andre3stacks 20 heat pts20
space
space
$18,928 | Props total: 7321 7321
Because of a dude he looked up to in Brooklyn named Rocafella who died of aids.
 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM         #27
Galaxy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To symbolize the way people threw rocks at Jesus. Jay is a satan supporter.
 8 years ago '08        #28
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,534 | Props total: 17168 17168
Aids supporter
 8 years ago '09        #29
BrooklynStiles 82 heat pts82
space
space
$10,441 | Props total: 8514 8514
 Illuminated said:
Lol @ people thinking the Rockefellers would give two f**ks about Jay-Z naming his label Rocafella. Maybe Jay-Z named his label Rocafella to compare his domination of the rap game to John D. Rockefeller Sr.'s domination of the Oil Industry. Rockefeller is the richest man that ever lived, and Jay-Z is one of the richest people in rap. I don't know of anyone that wouldn't want to have success like John D. Rockefeller, Sr.
And I'll add Rockefeller lived in NYC and basically owned the city, Jay relates since he's the biggest act in NYC now.
New replies show every 10 seconds
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
84 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc