NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
34 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
67 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '08        #1
8770 pageviews
145 comments

Snappy 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$727 | Props total: 1 1
Dec 18 - Teen Marijuana Use Affects Brain Permanently: study

By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: December 17, 2009 6:31 PMTeen marijuana use affects brain permanently: study

Regular marijuana use takes a worse toll on the teenage brain than thought, say researchers in Montreal who studied the effects of cannabis in rats.

The findings suggest daily marijuana use by teens can cause depression and anxiety, and have an irreversible effect on the brain.

The study, which was published in the journal Neurobiology of Disease, looked at 18 adolescent and adult rats that were exposed to cannabis.

Those given the drug had decreased levels of serotonin, which affects mood.

The animals also showed higher levels of norepinephrine that can increase susceptibility to long-term stress, said Dr. Gabriella Gobbi, a psychiatric researcher from the Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre.

"These permanent changes in the brain are also linked to certain mental illnesses, like schizophrenia," Gobbi said Thursday.

"And we showed that even if we stopped the cannabis use at the end of adolescence, the changes were still detectable in adulthood."

Previous population studies have looked at how smoking marijuana can affect behavior in some teenagers. But Gobbi said this was one of the first to focus on how the drug affects depression and anxiety in adolescence compared with adulthood.

The researchers also plan to observe a group of young human marijuana smokers to investigate the idea further.

The study was funded by a grant from The Canadian Psychiatric Research Foundation.

With files from The Canadian Press

External Links

Abstract of study on effects of cannabis on adolescent brains, Neurobiology of Disease

article:
[pic - click to view]

Teen marijuana use affects brain permanently: study - Â*News - MSN CA
abstract:
[pic - click to view]

ScienceDirect - Neurobiology of Disease : Chronic exposure to cannabinoids during adolescence but not during adulthood impairs emotional behaviour and monoaminergic neurotransmission

145 comments for "Dec 18 - Teen Marijuana Use Affects Brain Permanently: study"

8 years ago '04        #2
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,645 | Props total: 2651 2651
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo... they concluded that pot affects teens when they haven't tested it on actual people yet and base these results on rats?
 8 years ago '08        #3
Snappy 2 heat pts OP
space
space
space
^^ Im thinking the same thing I dunno how similar rats & humans are
sheeeit I've been blazin steady since 17 anyways
 12-18-2009, 01:26 AM         #4
StatisticZ 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I was more f**ked up after I quit smoking it daily than I was smoking it daily.
 12-18-2009, 01:28 AM         #5
GhostDigga 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Keep studying.
 8 years ago '98        #6
ronnie|A 10 heat pts10
space
space
$30,195 | Props total: 3597 3597
You also have to keep in mind this...

The study was funded by a grant from The Canadian Psychiatric Research Foundation.
Its pretty clear which side of mj use the CPRF are on. When they give all this money to scientists to fund the study, theres huge bias involved (the scientists want to please the people sending them money, so they'll send more in the future. Afterall, for a lot of these scientists, grants and donations is how they get paid). It happens in a lot of scientific studies when funded by a non-neutral party. See all the studies funded by big tobacco, or health studies funded by Kraft or large grain (wheat, rice etc) producers or pro-milk companies. In both cases, you'll find studies deflecting the health degenerating effects of tobacco, and how its vital to eat carbohydrate drink milk to form a complete healthy diet (eg USDA food pyramid) - both incorrect.
 8 years ago '04        #7
ruff 6 heat pts
space
space
$26,645 | Props total: 2651 2651
Canadian scientists are f*gs.
 8 years ago '07        #8
JohnDoe 207 heat pts207
space
space
$12,035 | Props total: 3900 3900
 ronnie said:
You also have to keep in mind this...

Its pretty clear which side of mj use the CPRF are on. When they give all this money to scientists to fund the study, theres huge bias involved (the scientists want to please the people sending them money, so they'll send more in the future. Afterall, for a lot of these scientists, grants and donations is how they get paid). It happens in a lot of scientific studies when funded by a non-neutral party. See all the studies funded by big tobacco, or health studies funded by Kraft or large grain (wheat, rice etc) producers or pro-milk companies. In both cases, you'll find studies deflecting the health degenerating effects of tobacco, and how its vital to eat carbohydrate drink milk to form a complete healthy diet (eg USDA food pyramid) - both incorrect.
 ruff said:
Canadian scientists are f*gs.
SCIENTISTS ARE wh0oreS
 12-18-2009, 02:01 AM         #9
YOUNGZERO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is PSUEDO-SCIENCE.
 12-18-2009, 02:29 AM         #10
twentythree 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
s**t, they tested it by looking at the game & joe buddens..
 8 years ago '06        #11
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895
might be on to something....

some of the cats I grew up with that was smoking heavy in H.S., but quit now that we're in our mid 20's is def. not the same guys...
 12-18-2009, 03:12 AM         #12
Spliffee 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RAZAH CUTS said:
might be on to something....

some of the cats I grew up with that was smoking heavy in H.S., but quit now that we're in our mid 20's is def. not the same guys...
You are aware that over a period of 10 years people DO change ?
 8 years ago '08        #13
wise2k2 
space
space
$386 | Props total: 55 55
 Spliffee said:
You are aware that over a period of 10 years people DO change ?
lol...took the words right outta my mouth...i really don't know why the big f!ght against weed i mean alcohol is legal
 8 years ago '05        #14
OMEGAMAN 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,532 | Props total: 18 18
So... this only shows that teens shouldn't be smoking it, if made legal. Just like every other vice that is legal. Still not a reason to allow it.
 8 years ago '07        #15
keithbm1111 97 heat pts97
space
space
$28,258 | Props total: 306 306
they're basing that off studies on rats? how do they know for sure then? its f**king rats not humans
 8 years ago '09        #16
ImageOfTruth 
space
space
$3,053 | Props total: 16 16
LOL @ the desperate excuses in here.

It's a f**king study, that's the conclusion they came to. Trying to discredit them isn't going to lessen the probability of this being true or false.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I can attest to a few people who are f**king nutcases for their weed who don't eat, or want to do s**t unless they smoke first. Then you know your getting f**ked up down the road if you gotta do anything before eating.

Sound like any of ya'll?
 12-18-2009, 09:59 AM         #17
BlockBurner226 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nobody should encourage teen use of marijuana, like alcohol or cigarettes it should be controlled and only sold to those that are of legal age, obviously anything that is mind altering will be bad for someone who is going through the final stages of development, but I don't believe that this study is accurate, as I smoked weed starting at 13, through until I was 15, quit until 21 and now I smoke semi-regularly and I'm fine, and have an IQ of 141 :celebrate3:
 8 years ago '08        #18
Snappy 2 heat pts OP
space
space
space
^^ I don't think IQ is a good measure of intelligence (not to undermine your intelligence or nothin)...But I think the study did an interesting correlation though. The teen brain isn't fully developed so weed or any drug use probably will interfere somehow, I guess we'll be the guinea pigs for long term affects of ganja use
 12-18-2009, 10:17 AM         #19
Metalzoa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
f**k it I'm down to be a guinea pig. As long as they pay for my weed they can study the effects of weed on me.
 12-18-2009, 10:28 AM         #20
Es0_puka 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RamazedAGAIN said:
the worst scientist in the world are actually british, who get paid to do studys on the most pointless bulls**t.
same thing i thought about america

i started smoking at 14 - but i don't anymore - thank god i didn't end up with depression - that's something i could definitely do without
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
41 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
90 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
182 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside NBA2K18 Is Removing User Made Content From The Game
40 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
88 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy