Greatest Director Of All Time...

most viewed right now
NFL So lets speculate what the Antonio Brown injury might be
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
28 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL JuJu turns the hit on Vontaze Burfict that got him suspended into a TD cel..
19 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
67 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Greatest Director Of the past 30 years...
Steven Spielberg (E.T., Indian Jones SAGA) 19 15.57%
James Cameron (Alien, Titanic) 13 10.66%
Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down) 6 4.92%
Martin Scorcese (The Departed, Taxi Driver) 40 32.79%
Peter Jackson (King Kong, Lord Of The Rings SAGA) 1 0.82%
Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish) 3 2.46%
Quentin Tarentino (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) 13 10.66%
Michael Mann (Heat, Miami Vice) 1 0.82%
Bryan Singer (Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects) 0 0%
Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River) 1 0.82%
Ang Lee (Broke Back Mountain, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) 0 0%
Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Da Vinci Code) 0 0%
M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs) 1 0.82%
The Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men, O Brother, Where Art Thou) 5 4.10%
Steven Soderbergh (Solaris, Traffic) 1 0.82%
Sam Raimi (A Simple Plan, The Gift) 0 0%
Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) 1 0.82%
David Cronenberg (A History Of Violence, Eastern Promises) 0 0%
The Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix Saga) 0 0%
George Lucas (Star Wars) 1 0.82%
OTHER... 16 13.11%
Voters: 122. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 12-25-2009, 04:30 AM         #121
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 modalee81 said:
Coens are vastly overrated. Out of their last 5 movies only 1 has been good.
Sure like you would know.
 8 years ago '06        #122
G2MC 35 heat pts35
space
space
$3,382 | Props total: 989 989
My top in no perticlar order ..

Woody Allen - No Explaination Needed

Guillermo Del Toro - HELLBOY 1 & 2, Pan's Labrynth, & The Orphanage ... Need I Say More?

Clint Eastwood - NEN

Tim Burton - The only persons who can rival Burtons Darkness is Del Toro & Polanski

Brian De Palma - NEN

Terry Gilliam - Monty Python, Baron Munchuanson, Fear & Loathing, & 12 Monkeys are all great reasons to forgive him for making The Brothers Grimm

Mel Brooks - Nobody can make a genuinely hilarious movie like Mel

James Cameron - NEN

Fancis Ford Coppola - Not because of The Godfather but because of Dracula, The Outsiders,
Rumble Fish, & Apocalypse Now

Victor Fleming - If for anything else then The Wizard of Oz

Alfred Hitchcock - There's a reason why he's stll talked about today

Peter Jackson - LOTR, Frighteners, & Heavenly Creatures. ... I'm done speaking

Stanley Kubrick - I'm not even surprised that hes being argued over in this thread

John Lasseter - All those awesome cartoon movies everyone goes nuts over? Yes this is THAT guy

Spike Lee - Dudes makes rally good movies and every now and then he drops a complete GEM .. Don't believe me? Malcolm X, The 25th Hour, & Miracle at St. Annas

George Lucas - NEN ... And if you need one ... two words .... STAR WARS

Micheal Mann - ALMOST EVERY MOVIE THIS GUY HAS MADE WAS GREAT! Man Hunter, Last of The Mohicans, Heat, The Insider, Ali, Collateral, & Public Enemies

Moke Nichols - The Graduate, Biloxi Blues, The Birdcage, Catch 22, Angels in America, Charlie Wilsons War, What Planet are you from? Postcard from the edge

Roman Polanski - 1/3rd of the Holy Trinity of Unholiness, along with Del Toro & Burton and he makes great non-occult movies such as Oliver Twist & Macbeth

Sydney Pollack - Damn Good Director, Astounding Producer, and Helluva funny actor when we was alive

Sam Raimi - NEN

Martin Scorsese - NEN

Ridley Scott - If you've never seen Blade Runner then watch it .. after that watch "A Kingdom of Heaven", "Matchstick Men", "Alien", "Hannibal", "Black Hawk Down", "Thelma & Louise", "G.I. Janes", American Gangster", & "Body of lies" ... Then you'll understand

Tony Scott - Because he has more awesome movies then s**tty directors have s**tty movies put together)

M. Night - Cause Unbreakable, Signs, & The Sixth Sense just barely make up for all the other bulls**t movies he put out .... and most other directors have put out for that matter ... Although I do like Lady in the water ... And honestly who's not anticipating The Last Airbender?

Robert Zemeckis - Probably the greatest director you never bothered to get to know, even though you've watches tons of his movies ... AND LOVED THEM ALL!

Micheal Apted - Second Greatest of Afore mentioned status

John G. Avildsen - Third

Ugh I'll top here ... there are to many to mention .. including some aleady on the list who I
didnt bother to bring up.

Last edited by G2MC; 12-25-2009 at 11:21 PM..
 8 years ago '06        #123
modalee 5 heat pts
space
space
$15,791 | Props total: 2322 2322
 smokeweed101. said:
Sure like you would know.
I dont understand what this comment means.

Intolerable Cruelty- mediocre movie
The Lady k!llers- Their worst movie by far. Horrible film
No Country for Old Men- Great movie imo their 2nd best movie
Burn After Reading- average movie
A Serious Man- above average movie but nothing great

overall I would say that the Coens are much better writer than the are director.

Last edited by modalee; 12-25-2009 at 02:20 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #124
walterroan 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,294 | Props total: 79 79
wes anderson gets no love?
 8 years ago '07        #125
Chris Cassius 
space
space
$2,124 | Props total: 19 19
Of the past 30 years, Ridley Scott, followed closely by Scorsese

Last edited by Chris Cassius; 12-25-2009 at 11:42 PM..
 12-26-2009, 01:36 AM         #126
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 modalee81 said:
I would say that the Coens are much better writer than the are director.
I would too, but I hold writing very high when watching a movie.
 12-27-2009, 09:06 PM         #127
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
Truth, I don't want to argue M Knight vs anyone in a top director topic, not worth the time, Sixth Sense is his only good film period.
I wasnt sayin he was a top director, at all, learn how to read man and start paying attention, you're gettin way too opinionated and losing credibility as an objective critic the more and more you comment. Your responses are getting more and more retarded as you go on, its like even when someone slightly agrees with you you're like, "you agree? dont do that, cause i wouldnt, but i dont care what you do anyways you're just a kid and your opinion doesnt matter over mine", you're talking like a child and not really adding anything to the thread so just f**k off if you dont care to contribute

Last edited by tipt420; 12-27-2009 at 09:13 PM..
 12-27-2009, 09:09 PM         #128
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
I would too, but I hold writing very high when watching a movie.
And again, this is a director thread, not a writer thread, and since you dont care about anyone else's opinion, theres a good chance nobody cares about your's, so who gives a s**t about what you hold high while watching movies? Its probably your d*ck most of the time watching Judd Apatow s**t ;)

Last edited by tipt420; 12-27-2009 at 09:10 PM..
 12-28-2009, 08:54 AM         #129
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tipt420 said:
I wasnt sayin he was a top director, at all, learn how to read man and start paying attention, you're gettin way too opinionated and losing credibility as an objective critic the more and more you comment. Your responses are getting more and more retarded as you go on, its like even when someone slightly agrees with you you're like, "you agree? dont do that, cause i wouldnt, but i dont care what you do anyways you're just a kid and your opinion doesnt matter over mine", you're talking like a child and not really adding anything to the thread so just f**k off if you dont care to contribute
You seem upset, what would you like me to contribute? seriously, I have stated my opinions as my opinion not as facts, and I will continue to. I explain my opinions and have valid reasons for them.

I could careless about my credibility with you, especially when I have never respected your stance on film to begin with, those that respect my opinion read what I have to say and if you don't want to I have no need to force you.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 12-28-2009 at 08:58 AM..
 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM         #130
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tipt420 said:
And again, this is a director thread, not a writer thread, and since you dont care about anyone else's opinion, theres a good chance nobody cares about your's, so who gives a s**t about what you hold high while watching movies? Its probably your d*ck most of the time watching Judd Apatow s**t ;)
I don't even like Judd Apatow, and writing is one of the 3 most important steps in making a solid film.

Who is acting like the child now? You tell me.
 8 years ago '08        #131
senseispab 
space
space
$941 | Props total: 0 0
You're missing a ton of directors.

It's a very American and modern list you've made

The French New Wave? Italian Neo Realism? The epics of David Lean? Nick Ray? Asian cinema like Kurusawa etc

Let's be serious.

You haven't even included David Lynch......
 12-30-2009, 07:39 AM         #132
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 senseispab said:
You're missing a ton of directors.

It's a very American and modern list you've made

The French New Wave? Italian Neo Realism? The epics of David Lean? Nick Ray? Asian cinema like Kurusawa etc

Let's be serious.

You haven't even included David Lynch......
List some then and educate these pro Americans. I myself am a huge fan of foreign films and these need to be on any top list.

French:
Jean Pierre Melville
Jean Luc Godard
Louis Malle
Francois Traffaut
Jean Renoir

Japanese:
Akira Kurosawa
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi

Italy:
Roberto Rosselini
Frederico Fellini
Sergio Leone

German:
Fritz Lang
Werner Herzog
F. W. Murnau

Soviet:
Andrei Tarkovsky
Sergei M. Eisenstein

Definitely more but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

The fact that Miyazaki is listed originally over Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Herzog, Fellini, Lang, Bergman etc. is hilarious. He has made some good films but not on the level of them.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 12-30-2009 at 07:42 AM..
 8 years ago '08        #133
senseispab 
space
space
$941 | Props total: 0 0
 smokeweed101. said:
List some then and educate these pro Americans. I myself am a huge fan of foreign films and these need to be on any top list.

French:
Jean Pierre Melville
Jean Luc Godard
Louis Malle
Francois Traffaut
Jean Renoir

Japanese:
Akira Kurosawa
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi

Italy:
Roberto Rosselini
Frederico Fellini
Sergio Leone

German:
Fritz Lang
Werner Herzog
F. W. Murnau

Soviet:
Andrei Tarkovsky
Sergei M. Eisenstein

Definitely more but those are the ones I'm familiar with.

The fact that Miyazaki is listed originally over Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Herzog, Fellini, Lang, Bergman etc. is hilarious. He has made some good films but not on the level of them.

I think you're way more well up on this Director s**t than me. You seem to have mentioned more major names than I can think of.

I just know enough to know that I know nothing. And that the world of cinema is just that, a global thing that also goes back further than 1990.

I studied it at Uni, but I've forgotten most of it by now.

I do remember enjoying Ladri Di Bicyclettes (sic), La Dolce Vita, and Les Quatre Cents Coups (sic again, probably), as well as They Live By Night, and a few others.

And Sergio Leone too. I loved Once Upon a Time in America, and a few of his grand Westerns.
 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM         #134
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 senseispab said:
I think you're way more well up on this Director s**t than me. You seem to have mentioned more major names than I can think of.

I just know enough to know that I know nothing. And that the world of cinema is just that, a global thing that also goes back further than 1990.

I studied it at Uni, but I've forgotten most of it by now.

I do remember enjoying Ladri Di Bicyclettes (sic), La Dolce Vita, and Les Quatre Cents Coups (sic again, probably), as well as They Live By Night, and a few others.

And Sergio Leone too. I loved Once Upon a Time in America, and a few of his grand Westerns.
Not even close, most of this was through watching (the best way to be a critic) I don't care for film school or studies. I don't want to come off as a film elitist but I honestly have a giant collection from New Wave to classic Japanese horror on my ps3, I prefer most of these over the guys listed above.

I'm not the biggest movie buff but when you say greatest of all time I agree you have to be an idiot to not at least watch one film from these guys, to me your opinion is invalid if you don't at least attempt classic "foreign" cinema. Looking at a Tarantino film I can notice every bit of French and Italian influence on his work, he shouldn't be listed above them.

And 400 Blows wasn't Sica it was Truffaut. I think their styles are similar but not by much. (I prefer French New Wave to Italian Neorealism as a whole)

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 12-30-2009 at 11:14 AM..
 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM         #135
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I recommend Godard's Breathless and Rossellini's Roma Citta Aperta.

Both groundbreaking drama's and probably my favorites from the respective eras.
 8 years ago '08        #136
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,675 | Props total: 2322 2322
I always preferred Godard to Truffaut mainly because he didn`t have the body of work Godard had. Him and Leone died way to early..
 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM         #137
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
I don't even like Judd Apatow, and writing is one of the 3 most important steps in making a solid film.

Who is acting like the child now? You tell me.
I dont think I am, but, fair enough, you're right.
Honestly though, this isnt a thread about solid films, its just directors, and I know there's directors who write and writers who direct but thats all beside the point,... and producers? Lets not get started with that.
I dunno why you've "never respected" my stance but thats fine, all I was "upset" about is that sometimes you dont offer these so called opinions of your's, you just tell people to shut up and that what they say doesnt matter,... leave that s**t out of it.
When I said contribute, I meant dont put posts like "shut up kid" and expect to be taken seriously afterward, it doesnt make sense. Just because you post a lot and have lots of "props" doesnt mean you're the god of film.
I was never tryin to knock your opinion, but alotta times it seems like you think you're the only one whose opinon matters, which is far from true. The only reason I mentioned Guillermo in the first place was cause of your pic and it just seemed like you wanted to argue even though half of us were agreeing with you.
Lighten up man. :)
 8 years ago '09        #138
Lil Jay 30 heat pts30
space
space
$7,999 | Props total: 424 424
cant decide.....
 12-31-2009, 07:55 PM         #139
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tipt420 said:
I dont think I am, but, fair enough, you're right.
Honestly though, this isnt a thread about solid films, its just directors, and I know there's directors who write and writers who direct but thats all beside the point,... and producers? Lets not get started with that.
I dunno why you've "never respected" my stance but thats fine, all I was "upset" about is that sometimes you dont offer these so called opinions of your's, you just tell people to shut up and that what they say doesnt matter,... leave that s**t out of it.
When I said contribute, I meant dont put posts like "shut up kid" and expect to be taken seriously afterward, it doesnt make sense. Just because you post a lot and have lots of "props" doesnt mean you're the god of film.
I was never tryin to knock your opinion, but alotta times it seems like you think you're the only one whose opinon matters, which is far from true. The only reason I mentioned Guillermo in the first place was cause of your pic and it just seemed like you wanted to argue even though half of us were agreeing with you.
Lighten up man. :)
True, any aggressiveness you see in my posts is either due to the frustration of shallow movie fans (specifically CGI wh0ores and Tarantino followers) and possibly me being drunk. But you got a point, I don't understand bringing up "props" I don't ask or give them out and I sure as hell don't use Boxden props as a way to brag about knowledge, most Boxden members prop on the dumbest posts in the first place.

But I have no problem discussing directors.
 12-31-2009, 08:03 PM         #140
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 904Nole said:
I always preferred Godard to Truffaut mainly because he didn`t have the body of work Godard had. Him and Leone died way to early..
I would disagree, while I respect Godard big time for his work on the Nouvelle Vague movement I do prefer Trauffaut's films. 400 Blows is IMO one of the defining films in french cinema and as far as entertainment he has him beat.

They were both revolutionary, independent, original, and highly personal on film making, things you don't see in today's cinema but I felt Godard was a weaker story teller. The majority of his films IMO would fall apart in the later scenes. (Pierrot Le Feu is a good example) Not to mention Godard was more political and seemed to add this commentary far too much in his later works.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
87 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
35 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
320 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
120 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Jimmy Interviews The Roots' Black Thought About His Epic 10-Minute Free..
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
123 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Death of Barry Sherman (Apotex founder) and his wife, December 15, 2017
21 comments
18 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
171 comments
22 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy