Greatest Director Of All Time...

most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
124 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
43 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
177 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
91 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Greatest Director Of the past 30 years...
Steven Spielberg (E.T., Indian Jones SAGA) 19 15.57%
James Cameron (Alien, Titanic) 13 10.66%
Ridley Scott (Gladiator, Black Hawk Down) 6 4.92%
Martin Scorcese (The Departed, Taxi Driver) 40 32.79%
Peter Jackson (King Kong, Lord Of The Rings SAGA) 1 0.82%
Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Big Fish) 3 2.46%
Quentin Tarentino (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) 13 10.66%
Michael Mann (Heat, Miami Vice) 1 0.82%
Bryan Singer (Apt Pupil, The Usual Suspects) 0 0%
Clint Eastwood (Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River) 1 0.82%
Ang Lee (Broke Back Mountain, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) 0 0%
Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Da Vinci Code) 0 0%
M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense, Signs) 1 0.82%
The Coen Brothers (No Country For Old Men, O Brother, Where Art Thou) 5 4.10%
Steven Soderbergh (Solaris, Traffic) 1 0.82%
Sam Raimi (A Simple Plan, The Gift) 0 0%
Hayao Miyazaki (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke) 1 0.82%
David Cronenberg (A History Of Violence, Eastern Promises) 0 0%
The Wachowski Brothers (The Matrix Saga) 0 0%
George Lucas (Star Wars) 1 0.82%
OTHER... 16 13.11%
Voters: 122. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #81
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,768 | Props total: 14586 14586
 modalee81 said:
He might not have double digit amount of movies made but every movie he has done so far in his career has been excellent.

Following
Memento
Insomnia
Batman Begins
The Prestige
The Dark Knight

all of those are great movies, while some other directors on the list may have lots of movies directed most arent great only a handful of them are.
Yea Nolan is pretty consistent and he doesn't take forever to come out w/ something.
 8 years ago '04        #82
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,973 | Props total: 4301 4301
 KeepinItTrill said:
wtf?

he doesn't have enough on his resume to even compare to the other people being mentioned
Soderbergh and The Wachowski Brothers don't have many more.
 8 years ago '04        #83
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
 thehogue... said:
Yea Nolan is pretty consistent and he doesn't take forever to come out w/ something.
I feel like he's like Ridley Scott meets Steven Spielberg for some reason.
 8 years ago '04        #84
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
 thehogue... said:
Yea now he does but he's still not THAT bad. Some people say it like EVERYTHING he did was bad. He's just lazy and thinks he can put anything out there .
Everything since Unbreakable has sucked. Even Signs.
 8 years ago '07        #85
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,768 | Props total: 14586 14586
 JFamis said:
I feel like he's like Ridley Scott meets Steven Spielberg for some reason.
that just gave me an idea.
 12-17-2009, 09:32 AM         #86
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illstreet said:
@ smoke, I'm not gonna reply again because you keep going in different directions...

First it's: "Hitchcock would take a big s**t on Bergman and he would admit that."

So either you are being the arrogant d*ck, or you are presenting Hitchcock as being one, if what you are now saying you meant is true... Which I don't believe.

Then it's you can't judge a filmmaker by whether none of their films have personal themes, because some Directors aren't writers... So I gave you serveral examples of Great Director's making personal films that they did not write...

And all of this leads back to the fact that there are like Two people in here attacking my opinion on Bergman and calling it "Absurd", even after I have supplied numerous other people that hold a similar opinion... So if there are other people who think the same as me, many of whom are very accomplised Director's in their own right, then how come my view point is being attacked?... How come it's "You are stretching his ability"?

Uh no, I'm not... You just don't happen to see it the way I do.

The simple fact that you listed "The Seventh Seal", "Wild Strawberries" and "The Virgin Spring" as being "awesome", without a single mention of "Winter Light", "Persona" and "Cries and Whispers", whom many as well as Bergman himself consider to be his Three greatest cinematic achievements... This tells me that we just don't see eye to eye when it comes to film.

So there really is no point in continuing this debate... Because everytime you bring up a point, I counter that, and you just go in a whole other direction.

It's deaded.
His 2 best films are Seal and Strawberries, I won't argue other wise, you pushing you opinion as a fact and getting upset because I don't agree with you and your knowledge of Bergman, I could care less what he considers his greatest or what directors made personal films, it doesn't impact this discussion. You seem more interested in what others have said in the past instead of debating pure cinematics in which Hitch makes the better movies, regardless of praise or emotions as a cinematic director Hitchcock s**ts all over him as stated already.

Deal with it young man.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 12-17-2009 at 09:40 AM..
 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM         #87
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Eyes Wide Shut straight up sucks. Sorry Kubrick purists, but that is not a good movie at all.
Doesn't put a dent in his catalog though, he is still one of the most consistent.

BTW Eyes Wide is still better than Dark Knight and Basterds. Mediocre Kubrick is still something we could use today
 8 years ago '05        #88
itsallcalypso1 
space
space
space
$432 | Props total: 0 0
Scorsese wins for Raging Bull and Goodfellas alone.

Where's Paul Thomas Anderson? He's more talented than the majority of the directors on that list.
 8 years ago '05        #89
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
 smokeweed101. said:
BTW Eyes Wide is still better than Dark Knight and Basterds. Mediocre Kubrick is still something we could use today
Dude, were we watching the same movie? Eyes Wide Shut was not mediocre. IT WAS BAD. REALLY BAD. Watching it, I couldn't believe it was Kubrick. I don't have to feel loyal to it because he made 2001 or because he's dead. I'm sorry, but that movie is not good even in the slightest.

And yes. TDK and IB are both better than Eyes Wide Shut in my opinion.
 8 years ago '05        #90
space
space
 thehogue... said:
That's very true. I think he is probably the most consistently good director of this decade.
 8 years ago '08        #91
904Nole 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,634 | Props total: 2103 2103
 DaOmega_1 said:
That's very true. I think he is probably the most consistently good director of this decade.
Yeah, him and PTA
 12-17-2009, 09:49 PM         #92
BobbiJo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
Of the last 30 years? hmmm... lets do this in categories:

Action films: James Cameron
Dialogue-driven dramas - Quentin Tarantino
Storytelling Genius - Ridley Scott
Director of chaos - Tony Scott
Best track record - Christopher Nolan
Mos interesting films - Spike Lee
The two-head directors - The Coen Brothers

I like your list!
 8 years ago '05        #93
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,986 | Props total: 1312 1312
Hitchcock, Takashi Miike, Coen Brothers, Scorcese, Quentin Tarantino, Spike Lee and Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by katalist; 12-18-2009 at 01:54 AM..
 12-18-2009, 03:46 AM         #94
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Maybe doesnt deserve to be on any list yet, but Guillermo del Toro is comin up in a major way, with Pan's Labyrinth and El Orphanato under his belt this dude is about to outshine M. Night (who shouldnt be on any list either, though). He's gonna be directing the 2 parts of The Hobbit and I personally think this'll launch him way above Peter Jackson.

On a side note, still shakin my head at that cat who said 2001 wasnt a good movie... how can people be that ignorant?
 8 years ago '05        #95
space
space
 tipt420 said:
Maybe doesnt deserve to be on any list yet, but Guillermo del Toro is comin up in a major way, with Pan's Labyrinth and El Orphanato under his belt this dude is about to outshine M. Night (who shouldnt be on any list either, though). He's gonna be directing the 2 parts of The Hobbit and I personally think this'll launch him way above Peter Jackson.

On a side note, still shakin my head at that cat who said 2001 wasnt a good movie... how can people be that ignorant?
For every Pan's Labyrinth, there's always a Hellboy 2.

And, he didn't direct The Orphanage... at least I don't think so.

When he works in his own language OR with other writers other than himself, his films are great. But, when he writes scripts (especially the one for Hellboy 2), it just fails... monumentally.
 12-18-2009, 10:19 AM         #96
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
I don't have to feel loyal to it because he made 2001
Never said you did, I don't look at the name but the movie. Same way I shouldn't regard Tarantino as great based on one classic film, just a difference in opinion, it isn't top 5 or maybe even 10 of the 90's but still is a decent film.

Arguably the best war and horror of the last 30 years goes to Kubrick, Platoon comes close for war but that's it IMO, disregard Eyes Wide and you still have a contender.

Last edited by smokeweed101.; 12-18-2009 at 10:23 AM..
 12-18-2009, 10:21 AM         #97
smokeweed101.  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 tipt420 said:

El Laberinto Del Fauno is already ten times better than Sixth Sense, meaning he has already passed M Knight.
 8 years ago '05        #98
space
space
 smokeweed101. said:
Never said you did, I don't look at the name but the movie. Same way I shouldn't regard Tarantino as great based on one classic film, just a difference in opinion, it isn't top 5 or maybe even 10 of the 90's but still is a decent film.

Arguably the best war and horror of the last 30 years goes to Kubrick, Platoon comes close for war but that's it IMO, disregard Eyes Wide and you still have a contender.
I agree with the Quality VS Quantity thing that you're pushing here, but I just don't think that his films (The Shining excluded, of course) were that great these past 30 years. I absolutely loathe Eyes Wide Shut, and Full Metal Jacket is good but not great, to me.

Kubrick is one of our best (if not the best) ever to do it, but that's far to say that every film he's made has been awesome.

But, it's whatever. Agree to disagree, I guess.
 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM         #99
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 DaOmega_1 said:
For every Pan's Labyrinth, there's always a Hellboy 2.

And, he didn't direct The Orphanage... at least I don't think so.

When he works in his own language OR with other writers other than himself, his films are great. But, when he writes scripts (especially the one for Hellboy 2), it just fails... monumentally.
True, forgot he didnt direct Orphanato, my bad. But, Hellboy gave him the cake and credit to make Pan's Labyrinth, its safe to say he did Hellboy 2 for the same reason: to have the freedom to do his independent projects while beefin up his resume. Theres nothing wrong with that at all. And he definately did something right if Jackson is getting him to do The Hobbit.
Nothing about the script for Pan's Labyrinth failed in my opinion, and he did that all by himself.
Also, we're discussing directors here, not writers. And besides, with a movie called Hellboy, one shouldnt expect much from the writing anyways. ;)
 12-18-2009, 01:59 PM         #100
tipt420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 smokeweed101. said:
El Laberinto Del Fauno is already ten times better than Sixth Sense, meaning he has already passed M Knight.
Uhh... M. Night has grossed over a billion dollars with his movies, just because one movie is better than another doesnt mean the guy has passed him. Dont get me wrong, I like Guillermo better, but I'm sure there're plenty of hollywood exec's that'd disagree. And besides the Devil's Backbone he hasnt really done much aside from Labyrinth, so he's got some catching up to do, thats all I was tryin to say.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
44 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
94 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
20 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
73 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
58 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside XXXTentacion gets 7 more charges added to his case and asks fans to sho..
93 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
130 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy