Donaghey admitts to rig games against Iverson and for Lakers, and Kobe...

most viewed right now
 53
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 42
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 39
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
174 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 31
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
87 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #101
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
avatar space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6147 6147
what caught my attention is the part where he said that the lakers sent in a tape of 25 calls they felt were missed on bryant. then the heads of the nba basically reviewed the tapes and told the officials there were "a lot" missed calls regardless of the fact that kobe already gets special treatment from refs. they were basically telling the refs to soften to put kobe on the foul line by any means necessary. lakers and the nba hq were all in on this.

how pathetic.


Last edited by JamcnPrettyboy; 12-07-2009 at 09:53 AM..
 8 years ago '06        #103
hood135 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$8,607 | Props total: 3 3
 akademiks said:
s**t crazy.
 8 years ago '04        #104
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
First of all I doubt even half of you dudes even watched the Kings/Lakers series who are talking about it being "rigged".
Second, everyone wants to talk about the game 6 being given to the Lakers when at the end of game 5 an offensive foul should have been called before Bibby's game winner (and it was one of the worst missed calls I've ever seen) that should have given game 5 to the Lakers. The Kings ROUTINELY got to the line at a much higher rate throughout the series than the Lakers did.

And can we please stop with the bulls**t about David Stern preventing Iverson from winning a title? If you watched the interview Donaghy clearly said that it was after a game in 2007 where he threatened Steve Javie. You people are acting like he was dealing with bad officiating for his entire career and that the only reason he didn't win was because of that..
I'm sorry, but he lost because he ran into the best playoff team in the history of the NBA. You know, the one where the NBA suddenly "rigged" the series' for the Lakers to sweep Sacramento, San Antonio and Portland in the WC playoffs? He carried the Sixers to a game 1 victory but that's where it ended.

Plus, here's an article on Donaghy & the Iverson situation...

PHILADELPHIA -- The NBA's seemingly endless nightmare continued Sunday night when disgraced former referee Tim Donaghy sat down with 60 Minutes for his first interview about the gambling scandal that rocked professional basketball.

The death threats, the fact that he threw away his life and career for a mere $100,000 in gambling profits, the knee that he says was damaged by an organized crime operative while in prison and the mob involvement that ultimately got him caught -- all will make headlines. So will an a.ssertion by the FBI agent who headed the Donaghy investigation, Philip Scala, who told 60 Minutes that the ref's NBA picks conservatively resulted in "at least a few million dollars" flowing into organized crime coffers.

While Donaghy reiterated that he was successful on between 70 and 80 percent of his picks -- a claim that matches the FBI's conclusions, according to the 60 Minutes piece -- he continued to maintain that his officiating was honest. But the most significant piece of news that emerged from the interview Sunday night was Donaghy's a.ssertion that he did, in fact, manipulate calls that helped him win a bet on a game between the Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz on Jan. 6, 2007. This is the first time that Donaghy has publicly disclosed a particular game that he wagered on and described the actions he took -- coincidentally, he claims -- to win that bet.

A bombshell -- until you watch the game.

The day before the game, Nuggets superstar Allen Iverson was fined $25,000 by the NBA for comments critical of referee Steve Javie, with whom Iverson has long feuded. In the interview, Donaghy said that he and other referees felt the punishment was too light. Before the Nuggets played the Jazz on Jan. 6, 2007, Donaghy said he and the other two officials a.ssigned to the game -- Bernie Fryer and Gary Zielinski -- agreed that they wouldn't give Iverson a fair whistle that night as a way to "teach him a lesson." Donaghy also said that the referees' onsite supervisor that night approved of the crew's treatment of Iverson.

"I knew that the other two referees and I sought out to do a little justice of our own," Donaghy said. "... In the pregame meetings we came to the conclusion that we were not gonna give Allen Iverson any marginal plays for the basket."

Donaghy told 60 Minutes that he bet against Iverson's team that night, but claimed that he manipulated calls only to stick it to Iverson -- not to help him win the bet. The Jazz beat the Nuggets 96-84, making Donaghy's pick a winner.

"Those allegations have been fully investigated by the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the government completed its investigation, finding that the only criminal conduct was that of Mr. Donaghy," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement released after the 60 Minutes piece.

If Donaghy was able to execute his plan, he did a better job concealing it than you could imagine. The Nuggets attempted 31 free throws to Utah's 17, and Iverson went to the free-throw line more than anyone else in the game; he was 11 for 12. But there's more, thanks to Synergy Sports Technology, which logs in-depth statistics, play outcomes and video clips of every NBA game.

In the game in question, Iverson drove to the basket 12 times. I watched every one of those plays. Iverson made two driving layups, missed four, lost the ball once and drew five fouls -- three of which were called by Donaghy himself. He was called for two personal fouls and drew nine in the game.

Iverson was called twice for palming the ball, an infraction known as a discontinued dribble. One call was made by Zielinski and the other by Donaghy, who also whistled Utah's Deron Williams for the same infraction with two minutes left in the game. At the time, cracking down on palming was a point of emphasis for the NBA's officiating department, according to a source.

The Synergy video clips showed one play on which Iverson obviously was fouled and didn't get the call. With 2:28 left in the third quarter, Iverson missed a driving layup in transition. Donaghy, the baseline official on the play, failed to call Mehmet Okur for hitting Iverson with his left arm. Donaghy did, however, call Okur for fouling Reggie Evans, who got the offensive rebound and missed both of his free throws.

Asked about Donaghy's a.ssertions Sunday after his first practice since re-signing with the Philadelphia 76ers, Iverson told CBSSports.com, "I don't have a reaction. I don't want to get into that. I'll let the NBA and the higher beings handle that."

In the interview, Donaghy focused on games involving another superstar, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant. He said he won several bets in a row by putting money on the Lakers because he was able to use the NBA's own internal communication with referees to guess accurately about how those games would be called. After the Lakers had sent a DVD to the league office complaining about certain calls not going in Bryant's favor -- a common practice for all teams -- Donaghy saw the league's training videos emphasizing those rules not as a teaching tool, but as a way to win bets. According to a person familiar with the league's methods for training officials and emphasizing certain rules, such videos cover a variety of teams and players and aren't specifically geared toward how one player is being officiated.

What does it all mean? Either Donaghy was highly skilled at concealing his use of the whistle in games he bet on, or he continues to be what the NBA has repeatedly cast him as -- a convicted felon whose statements cannot be trusted. It remains the ultimate case of you make the call.

Donaghy continued to maintain his truthfulness, telling 60 Minutes that he had no choice but to be honest with federal investigators or risk losing his plea agreement. Scala supported that claim, saying that the FBI never found any of his statements to be false. In the interview, Donaghy did not unveil any bombshells about the potential involvement of any other referees in betting or passing information to gamblers.

The NBA declined to make Fryer, Zielinski or any other league official available to CBSSports.com for an interview Sunday because it had yet to see the 60 Minutes interview or Donaghy's book, Personal Foul, which is due out this month with a new publisher after a division of Random House dropped it in October over legal concerns.

"I certainly made some terrible choices to do what I did," Donaghy said. "But the culture that existed within the game of the NBA enabled me to be able to do this at a very successful rate."

In the wake of Donaghy's first interview since the scandal broke, only one thing remains certain: The culture of the NBA will never be the same.


Last edited by A.G; 12-07-2009 at 10:00 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #105
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
avatar space
space
$46,366 | Props total: 8458 8458
 akademiks said:
First of all I doubt even half of you dudes even watched the Kings/Lakers series who are talking about it being "rigged".
Second, everyone wants to talk about the game 6 being given to the Lakers when at the end of game 5 an offensive foul should have been called before Bibby's game winner (and it was one of the worst missed calls I've ever seen) that should have given game 5 to the Lakers. The Kings ROUTINELY got to the line at a much higher rate throughout the series than the Lakers did.

And can we please stop with the bulls**t about David Stern preventing Iverson from winning a title? If you watched the interview Donaghy clearly said that it was after a game in 2007 where he threatened Steve Javie. You people are acting like he was dealing with bad officiating for his entire career and that the only reason he didn't win was because of that..
I'm sorry, but he lost because he ran into the best playoff team in the history of the NBA. You know, the one where the NBA suddenly "rigged" the series' for the Lakers to sweep Sacramento, San Antonio and Portland in the WC playoffs? He carried the Sixers to a game 1 victory but that's where it ended.

Plus, here's an article on Donaghy & the Iverson situation...
I remember the game quite well
I also remember prior to that the Portland Trailblazers also got f**ked over by the refs
Scottie Pippen should have another ring
 8 years ago '04        #106
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 JamcnPrettyboy said:
what caught my attention is the part where he said that the lakers sent in a tape of 25 calls they felt were missed on bryant. then the heads of the nba basically reviewed the tapes and told the officials there were "a lot" missed calls regardless of the fact that kobe already gets special treatment from refs. they were basically telling the refs to soften to put kobe on the foul line by any means necessary. lakers and the nba hq were all in on this.

how pathetic.
So nothing is said when the league missed 22 calls IN A GAME on him, but when the referee says the next game he was going to get the benefit of the doubt, this board gets all up in arms?

Do you realize how a.ss-backwards that is?

Does your hate really cloud your judgment that much that it makes it ok when the other player was screwed out of calls?
 12-07-2009, 10:05 AM         #107
N I K E 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To the Kobe/Laker fans.. I mean yall got 4 ships this decade. Congrats..

But just know that those 1st three are about as valuable as the 3 Lombardi Trophies The Patriots won this decade..

This whole sitiation isn't really hard to believe.. Idk if yall remember those 1st couple years after Jordan left the league. But the NBA was lost (in terms of direction and financially). They needed somethin to latch on to..

I remember being in the 4th Grade when Kobe 1st came into the league.. His rookie year he was a great 6th man then by his Sophomore season they was callin him the Next MJ (already).. Kobe basically had the throne handed to him by the NBA brass (and the Refs too)

NOTE: I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan so I got no reason to be bias here.. I'm just stating the obvious..
 8 years ago '04        #108
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 Javon23 said:
I remember the game quite well
I also remember prior to that the Portland Trailblazers also got f**ked over by the refs
Scottie Pippen should have another ring
So when the FBI investigated all of these games how come none of the refs were ever implicated or removed from their jobs?

Let me guess... to save face?

You expect me to believe Donaghy saying he BET on games but never affected the outcome, but then claim another game was rigged that he didn't officate in?
 8 years ago '04        #109
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
avatar space
space
$46,366 | Props total: 8458 8458
 akademiks said:
So when the FBI investigated all of these games how come none of the refs were ever implicated or removed from their jobs?

Let me guess... to save face?

You expect me to believe Donaghy saying he BET on games but never affected the outcome, but then claim another game was rigged that he didn't officate in?
its clearly a cover up
you are a fool if you believe that only Donaghy acted alone in all of this.
 8 years ago '07        #110
JamcnPrettyboy 96 heat pts96
space
avatar space
space
$23,478 | Props total: 6147 6147
 akademiks said:
So nothing is said when the league missed 22 calls IN A GAME on him, but when the referee says the next game he was going to get the benefit of the doubt, this board gets all up in arms?

Do you realize how a.ss-backwards that is?

Does your hate really cloud your judgment that much that it makes it ok when the other player was screwed out of calls?
when the f**k have I ever came in here and hated on kobe bryant or the lakers?

the people saying the calls were missed were not officials. there were the big wigs.

the nba has a policy against players and coaches complaining about officiating. sending in the tape itself seems to break their own policy.

kobe bryant was already favored by the referees. what was the purpose of heads of the nba bringing forth what they believed to be 22 missed calls on kobe bryant? obviously to soften up on him.

it's not backwards, you're just very simple minded


Last edited by JamcnPrettyboy; 12-07-2009 at 10:22 AM..
 8 years ago '04        #111
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 Javon23 said:
I remember the game quite well
I also remember prior to that the Portland Trailblazers also got f**ked over by the refs
Scottie Pippen should have another ring
LMAO @ the Trailblazers choking now being f**ked over by the Refs..

You never cease to amaze me with the amount of stupid things you say.

 N I K E said:
But just know that those 1st three are about as valuable as the 3 Lombardi Trophies The Patriots won this decade..

NOTE: I'm a Dallas Mavericks fan so I got no reason to be bias here.. I'm just stating the obvious..
How can you diminish the 3 titles and then claim to be unbiased?
 8 years ago '05        #112
The_Legend23 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$3,379 | Props total: 0 0
explains a lot
 8 years ago '04        #113
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 JamcnPrettyboy said:
when the f**k have I ever came in here and hated on kobe bryant or the lakers?

the people saying the calls were missed were not officials. there were the big wigs.

the nba has a policy against teams and coaches complaining about officiating. sending in the tape itself seems to break their own policy.

kobe bryant was already favored by the referees. what was the purpose of heads of the nba bringing forth what they believed to be 22 missed calls on kobe bryant? obviously to soften up on him.

it's not backwards, you're just very simple minded
That's because the Lakers sent the DVD's up to the front office so they they could get another look at the calls. You don't send tapes to referees, genius.

The NBA has a policy that you're not allowed to criticize the officiating in public. If you don't already know that then you're not even worth arguing with.

Obviously if there were 22 missed calls then the intent was to make sure those are called the next time. How do you think the referees all across the league have nearly the same threshold for what's a foul and what's not? The league sends tapes and examples. Do you realize how many points are swung when there are 22 missed calls in a game? That's how referees communicate - they send notes and game tapes to make sure they're all on the same page. Do you think they live in a vacuum and have no outside communication with anybody?

I love the fact that you bring forth absolutely NO valid argument and make quite possibly the worst and most uninformed post in the entire thread and have the nerve to call me simple-minded.
I guess ignorance really knows no bounds.
 8 years ago '04        #114
Javon23 265 heat pts265
space
avatar space
space
$46,366 | Props total: 8458 8458
 akademiks said:
LMAO @ the Trailblazers choking now being f**ked over by the Refs..
i have the game on DVD
during that run Portland did not get 1 call
 8 years ago '06        #115
m!ck3y 2 heat pts
space
avatar space
space
$9,246 | Props total: 628 628
 akademiks said:
First of all I doubt even half of you dudes even watched the Kings/Lakers series who are talking about it being "rigged".
Second, everyone wants to talk about the game 6 being given to the Lakers when at the end of game 5 an offensive foul should have been called before Bibby's game winner (and it was one of the worst missed calls I've ever seen) that should have given game 5 to the Lakers. The Kings ROUTINELY got to the line at a much higher rate throughout the series than the Lakers did.

And can we please stop with the bulls**t about David Stern preventing Iverson from winning a title? If you watched the interview Donaghy clearly said that it was after a game in 2007 where he threatened Steve Javie. You people are acting like he was dealing with bad officiating for his entire career and that the only reason he didn't win was because of that..
I'm sorry, but he lost because he ran into the best playoff team in the history of the NBA. You know, the one where the NBA suddenly "rigged" the series' for the Lakers to sweep Sacramento, San Antonio and Portland in the WC playoffs? He carried the Sixers to a game 1 victory but that's where it ended.

Plus, here's an article on Donaghy & the Iverson situation...


Ak I have been here for a few years now and I understand that you are a Lakers fan. IMO you bring up some credible points in your posts but lose a lot of that credibility when you are blind to the obvious facts starring you in the face. The Lakers shot 27 FT's in the fourth qtr of that game 6 vs the Kings and I don't care how you try to twist you and I both know that's bulls**t. More then anything in that entire video it couldn't have been more blatant of the bulls**t that took place in that game than the elbow to Bibby right in front of the referee who seemed to be looking directly at the incident.

Star players will get star calls and that is a fact in any sport, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Everyone knows that today's NBA is beyond soft it is almost impossible to watch as players throw themselves on the ground and barley touching a guy going to the rim is an automatic foul. The games that have been made public information of being fixed seem to all hold weight..I mean s**t just look at the videos it is ridiculous..

At the end of the day the NBA is a business but instead of it remaining a sport the game we all love is turning into a soap operas and there isn't s**t anyone can do about it..its a f**kin shame.
 8 years ago '04        #116
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 Gattsau said:
Do u think the only person they miss calls on is kobe bryant? It happens human error is part of the game...but going out there to give kobe calls because he's the face of the biggest market team is not human error and it is not ok..

How u can sit here and defend cheating is beyond me...u would not act the same if this was about lbj
Posted via Mobile Device
Did I say that?
Again, you guys are SELECTIVELY choosing to think that the league told the referees to give him calls.
There's a difference between SHOWING them what is and what is not a foul (recapitulation), regardless of who it is, and consciously telling a referee to call more fouls to benefit a certain player.
Donaghy said that when the league sent out that memo that the referees missed so many calls that he knew Kobe was going to get a lot of calls in the next few games to "make up" for that fact, and he used that to his advantage in betting.
Now, do you think that this is the only time this has happened? Do you still not think that the league communicates with referees and tells them what calls they mess up and what player should be going to the line?
What happened last year after Lebron's called back game winner due to travelling (aka. crab dribble)? Did you ever see that called after that ever again? Do you think that the referees weren't TOLD to stop calling that, even when Lebron DID take that 3 step approach? It also didn't help the fact that they changed the rule to start the season so that it wouldn't be called again.. But Like I said, referees communicate. They're told what should and what shouldn't be called.
 8 years ago '07        #117
timdog 926 heat pts926
space
avatar space
space
$30,520 | Props total: 15081 15081

[pic - click to view]




[pic - click to view]



kobe stop i cant kickyou out the game i got money on it
 12-07-2009, 10:42 AM         #118
N I K E 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 akademiks said:
How can you diminish the 3 titles and then claim to be unbiased?
I call it like it is son.. There's a lot of things in sports that I don't respect anymore including

- The '98 Home Run Race between Sosa & McGwire (or any baseball in the "steroids era)

- The Patriots Spy-Gate championships

- And now this Kobe nonsense


The Kobe thing was always obvious to anyone that wasn't a Die Hard Lakers fan.. There was just never any proof.. I don't think anyone was surprised to hear this news (especially about the LA/SAC series') because it was clear that somethin was fishy. Now we know why..

Once again. This is comin from an unbias perspective. Yea.. There are "star calls" and non calls by refs in every sport.. But there's a difference between a "star call" and CHEATING.

I remember when Dallas was in the Finals in 06. We was up 2-0 and we dropped the ball.. Sure Wade got some obvious "star calls" that played in Miami's favor but it was more that Dallas dropped the ball in that series.. But with the LA/SAC series' everybody I know was watchin that series and we was all thinkin the same thing, like "damn.. These refs are cheatin" or "this is fishy".. It was obvious.. There's a difference between "star calls" and refs manipulating games
 8 years ago '04        #119
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 m!ck3y said:
Ak I have been here for a few years now and I understand that you are a Lakers fan. IMO you bring up some credible points in your posts but lose a lot of that credibility when you are blind to the obvious facts starring you in the face. The Lakers shot 27 FT's in the fourth qtr of that game 6 vs the Kings and I don't care how you try to twist you and I both know that's bulls**t. More then anything in that entire video it couldn't have been more blatant of the bulls**t that took place in that game than the elbow to Bibby right in front of the referee who seemed to be looking directly at the incident.
Yes they did shoot 27 free throws.. And Kobe did elbow Bibby - but the reason it wasn't called was because it was a) incidental from Kobe trying to get free from Bibby guarding him from the front, and because Bibby had no established position. It wasn't called at all and that's how it should have been (see. Kobe elbowing Jameer Nelson for another example)

Star players will get star calls and that is a fact in any sport, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Everyone knows that today's NBA is beyond soft it is almost impossible to watch as players throw themselves on the ground and barley touching a guy going to the rim is an automatic foul. The games that have been made public information of being fixed seem to all hold weight..I mean s**t just look at the videos it is ridiculous..

At the end of the day the NBA is a business but instead of it remaining a sport the game we all love is turning into a soap operas and there isn't s**t anyone can do about it..its a f**kin shame.
That's true.. But I have a hard time believing a referee who says that he would bet on games he refereed but never affected the outcome of the games he was reffing. I believe that the NBA has agendas and referees have certain biases, and that's where it ends.
I'm not gonna feed into all of the conspiracy theories and whatnot because throughout history there have been some examples of favoritism - from the Knicks' rigged draft to get Patrick Ewing to MJ's entire career being spent on the free throw line when he wasn't in gatorade commercials..
 8 years ago '04        #120
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
 Javon23 said:
i have the game on DVD
during that run Portland did not get 1 call
Good for you, I'm sure as an unobjective and biased fan you are one who should be believed.

 N I K E said:
I call it like it is son.. There's a lot of things in sports that I don't respect anymore including

- The '98 Home Run Race between Sosa & McGwire (or any baseball in the "steroids era)

- The Patriots Spy-Gate championships

- And now this Kobe nonsense


The Kobe thing was always obvious to anyone that wasn't a Die Hard Lakers fan.. There was just never any proof.. I don't think anyone was surprised to hear this news (especially about the LA/SAC series') because it was clear that somethin was fishy. Now we know why..

Once again. This is comin from an unbias perspective. Yea.. There are "star calls" and non calls by refs in every sport.. But there's a difference between a "star call" and CHEATING.

I remember when Dallas was in the Finals in 06. We was up 2-0 and we dropped the ball.. Sure Wade got some obvious "star calls" that played in Miami's favor but it was more that Dallas dropped the ball in that series.. But with the LA/SAC series' everybody I know was watchin that series and we was all thinkin the same thing, like "damn.. These refs are cheatin" or "this is fishy".. It was obvious.. There's a difference between "star calls" and refs manipulating games
So 1 game that you think was rigged now makes it 3 titles that the Lakers didn't deserve?
Sorry "son", but you're a f**king moron. Go back to the hip hop spot.

I guess the league helped the Lakers sweep the entire western conference in 2001, right?
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 17
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 16
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
83 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 11
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 9
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 8
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
186 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 6
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
70 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 5
I'm taking that one-way flight to London
16 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 4
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy