Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
40 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL NFL Network suspends Marshall Faulk, Heath Evans, Ike Taylor due to sexual..
225 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Silver & Black Or Black & Gold?
Raiders 12 75.00%
Steelers 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 8 years ago '07        #1
8880 pageviews
194 comments

theFREAK 3680 heat pts3680
space
space
$53,669 | Props total: 38450 38450
The OFFICIAL Oakland Raiders Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Game Day Thread

[pic - click to view]

VS.

[pic - click to view]

Raiders vs. Steelers, what was once a great rivalry…

[pic - click to view]

December 2nd, 2009 Victor Cotto Leave a comment Go to comments

Nothing was fierier, as vicious or as heated than the Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers rivalry of the 1970s.

This opposition teetered on hate and physical a.ssaults on the football field.

Both organizations have a place in football history that is etched in stone; and both helped each other build on their legacies with the competitive nature of each match-up in the golden era of the NFL.

From 1972-to-1977, they played ten times with both teams winning 5 of those contests. They played in the divisional playoff round in back-to-back years (1972-1973), and those games were split. Then at the height of the rivalry, the Silver & Black faced the Black and Gold in three straight AFC Championship games from 1974-to-1976. Pittsburgh won two out of three and during that span, both organizations were crowned world champions.

But as it stands today, the club that dubs itself the ‘Team of the Decades’ has been mired in a historic slump since 2003 while the Steelers have been perennial players for playoff contention.

Oakland is 27-80 during one of the worst seven-year spans in the history of the league. During that same time, the Steelers are 68-39 with four playoff appearances and adding two more Super Bowl crowns to their record six league titles.

Why have both organizations headed in opposite directions instead of adding to their great past?

One word – continuity.

Yes, just like the Rooney Family, Al Davis has been at the helm of the Oakland Raiders for a long time. The Rooney family is synonymous with Steeler football since 1933.

But unlike the Rooney’s, Davis has failed to keep continuity on the sidelines, the field and in the front office. He has not showed the patience needed to build and has not allowed stability to permeate his organization. The Rooney’s have steered away from controversy in trying to convey one message to the club – just win, baby.

In 40-years of football, dating back to the start of this great rivalry, the Steelers have had three coaches grace their sidelines (Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin). On the other hand, the Raiders have given 10 men the opportunity to lead Davis’ renegades.

That continuity, clear structure, orderliness and well defined roles within the organization that the Steelers posses is what Oakland should try to mimic.

The Rooney’s don’t reign supreme or use their power to influence football decisions that directly effect the product on the field. Davis does.

The Rooney’s allow their scouts and personnel people to find the best talent in the draft and work in unison with the coaches to make the right decisions for the good of the football team. Davis does not.

And that is some of the reasons why this Sunday’s game will not conjure the incredible memories that they should from the past.

Nineteen of the players that competed in the 1970s for both of these organizations have been inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

On Sunday, you won’t see many potential inductees unless you are talking about the passer that has two-rings already. And Oakland instead of flying into Pittsburgh, trying to win with a new crew of young Raiders that are ready to add to this rivalry, are trying to motivate themselves enough to end the season strong so they can avoid a record seventh straight campaign with 11 or more losses.

It’s sad to see what this rivalry has come to.

But only Oakland is to blame, as Pittsburgh has held up their part of the bargain.

Contact Author: Victor Cotto – SB Report Columnist

SERIES:

Sunday’s contest is the 18th regular season meeting between the Raiders and Steelers. The Raiders lead the regular season series, 9-8 since the teams first met on October 25, 1970.

POSTSEASON VERSUS PITTSBURGH:

The Raiders and Steelers have met six times in the postseason and are tied with three wins apiece.

The teams met in the postseason for five straight seasons in the 1970s (1972–76).

The Raiders beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-7 in the 1976 AFC Championship Game on December 26 en route to the Silver and Black’s first of three World Championships of Professional Football, following with a 32-14 win over the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl XI in Pasadena.

The Raiders defeated the Steelers in an AFC Playoff contest, 38-10 on January 1, 1984, on the way to the organization’s third World Championship of Professional Football, a 38-9 win over Washington in Super Bowl XVIII.

LAST TIME:

Playing in front of a sold-out crowd at McAfee Coliseum in Oakland, the Raiders defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers, 20-13, on October 29, 2006. CB Nnamdi Asomugha's third interception of the season resulted in his first career touchdown, and CB Chris Carr had a 100-yard interception return for a touchdown. DE Derrick Burgess had 2.5 sacks and LB Kirk Morrison picked off a pass and logged nine tackles.

The Raiders struck first when Asomugha picked off a pass which was tipped by then-rookie LB Thomas Howard, returning it 24 yards to give the Raiders a 7-0 lead with 6:12 left in the first quarter. The Steelers got on the board on a 29-yard field goal to cut the Raiders lead to 7-3 in the second quarter. A second Pittsburgh field goal, a 39-yarder, trimmed the Raiders lead to 7-6 in the second quarter. K Sebastian Janikowski's 19-yard field goal gave the Raiders a 10-6 lead in the second quarter. Janikowski's 41-yard field goal capped a 6-play, 41-yard drive, and gave the Raiders a 13-6 lead in the third quarter.

Carr intercepted a pass at Oakland's goal line and raced 100 yards for the Raiders second defensive touchdown of the game. Janikowski's extra point gave the Raiders a 20-6 lead the fourth quarter. The Steelers scored a touchdown and extra point to cut the Raiders lead to 20-13, which turned out to be the final score.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

PREDICTIONS?

Last edited by theFREAK; 12-02-2009 at 04:37 PM..

194 comments for "The OFFICIAL Oakland Raiders Vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Game Day Thread"

8 years ago '07        #2
theFREAK 3680 heat pts3680 OP
space
space

[video - click to view]

8 years ago '07        #3
space
space
poll added
 8 years ago '06        #4
SHootar 48 heat pts48
space
space
$22,362 | Props total: 1784 1784
if we lose this game i quit life
 12-02-2009, 07:09 PM         #5
YOUNGZERO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I see another UPSET jim... The Raiders here pull it off against the short yellow school bus. Can we say, "Go Dumb" on t.v.?
 12-02-2009, 07:36 PM         #6
Pimpwin 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SHootar said:
Hey my n*gga when is Troy P due back?
 8 years ago '07        #7
space
space
 SHootar said:
We beat ya'll in 2006 in Oakland and if i remember correctly that was the last time the 2 teams played eachother
 8 years ago '07        #8
space
space
bumpp
 8 years ago '07        #9
space
space
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/videos/7p0O_h_c8v6fN9I7GzDB5GThJfoDnvv_
 8 years ago '07        #10
space
space
i got a feeling we haven't seen the last of JaMarcus Russell this season
 8 years ago '07        #11
space
space
Steelers Fans in hiding this week?
 8 years ago '07        #12
space
space
well this died before it even started
 8 years ago '07        #13
space
space
DHB hurts foot; Listed as questionable vs. Steelers

[pic - click to view]

Raiders rookie Darrius Heyward-Bey is a late addition to the injury report Friday with an unspecified foot injury, the team announced this evening.

No word on how DHB hurt his foot but he is listed as questionable for Sunday's game at Pittsburgh. Raiders coach Tom Cable did not mention the injury after the team practiced Friday.

Heyward-Hey has started all 11 games this season, catching nine passes. If he is not able to play, rookie Louis Murphy likely will return to the starting lineup.

Also, defensive end Greg Ellis is doubtful with ongoing knee trouble.

Read more:
 8 years ago '05        #14
twodollars2 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,607 | Props total: 70 70
 theFREAK said:
well this died before it even started
lol nice try but if oakland played hard like they did against cincy i think ppl would be more intrested in da game i hope we can pull it out "GO Raiders"!!
 8 years ago '07        #15
space
space
 twodollars2 said:
lol nice try but if oakland played hard like they did against cincy i think ppl would be more intrested in da game i hope we can pull it out "GO Raiders"!!
haha word but no steelers fans have even posted anythin either
 8 years ago '07        #16
space
space
Raiders Gradkowski returns home to Pittsburgh

[pic - click to view]

ALAMEDA, Calif. — Bruce Gradkowski is heading home and the Oakland Raiders quarterback wouldn't mind if he and his teammates were greeted with a blanket of snow.

"Being from Pittsburgh and playing at Toledo and Ohio, you face all the weather you can face," Gradkowski said. "It'll be a nice fall, winter day. I'm looking forward to it. Early December, we might get some snow flurries. It'll be good."

Gradkowski, a former standout at Seton-La Salle High School, grew up in the Steel City, played in college at the University of Toledo in Ohio and his mother still lives 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Several other relatives also live in the area, making for a homecoming of sorts for the Raiders' journeyman quarterback who as a youth frequently attended Steelers games at Three Rivers Stadium and at the team's new home at Heinz Field.

Now, he comes in as Oakland's starting quarterback trying to salvage what's left of a dismal season.

The Raiders are 3-8 and coming off a 24-7 loss to Dallas on Thanksgiving Day. Gradkowski passed for 200 yards and a touchdown against the Cowboys, and in two-plus games already has thrown for more than half as much yardage (546) as JaMarcus Russell (1,064) did in nine starts.

Gradkowski has started twice before while playing in Pittsburgh, once as a rookie with Tampa Bay in 2007 and in Week 17 last season shortly after he signed with the Cleveland Browns when he passed for just 18 yards and compiled a quarterback rating of 1.0.

"It's always nice going back to Pittsburgh," Gradkowski said. "You have to have fun with it. My family, my cousins, they're die-hard Steeler fans. Last year, when I was with the Browns, it was hard for then. They wore neutral colors, but I think being with the Raiders this past year and getting to know these guys and being with this team, I know I'll have the family behind me on this one."

There's been some speculation Oakland will put Russell, the top overall draft pick in 2007, back into the starting lineup at some point this season. The Raiders, who invested more than $60 million in Russell, need to have a better idea where — or if — he still figures into their future plans.

Oakland coach Tom Cable is sticking with Gradkowski for now and hopes to find some balance to the offense against the Steelers.

"You've got to have enough run," Cable said, "But you've got to be able to do it throwing the football."

The weather in Pittsburgh is expected to be in the mid- to upper 30s this weekend, but snow is not in the forecast.

"Over the next month, we're going to play three times and will probably be in some severe weather somewhere, whether it's in Pittsburgh, Denver or in Cleveland," Cable said. "We've kind of talked it over and mentally we're prepared for that. Whether it's wind blowing and snowing, icy, whatever it is, it still comes down to both teams have to go out and perform in it."

The Steelers have lost their last three games and need a win to stay in the AFC playoff hunt, while the Raiders have dropped seven of nine and are just trying to make it to the finish.

Gradkowski, who took over when Russell was benched in the second half of Oakland's 16-10 loss to Kansas City on Nov. 15, provided a little spark for the Raiders offense but hasn't been able to sustain it. He has three touchdowns and three interceptions with a 66.3 quarterback rating.

"When I watch him on tape, I see a guy that's got very good accuracy and pretty good mobility, can release the ball from a variety of body positions and locations," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "It seems like he's been a sparkplug for that offensive unit."

Even with the improved play from the quarterback spot, the Raiders are still last in the league in passing, scoring and first downs and are 31st in total yardage.

"We just need to execute," Gradkowski said. "When plays are there we need to make them. (The Steelers) don't really lack in any position on defense, and they're experienced. We have to be ready for anything."

Notes: DE Greg Ellis (knee) was held out of practice and is questionable. ... Trevor Scott will make his second career start at weakside linebacker while the Raiders' former starter at the position, Thomas Howard, will start at the strongside spot.
 8 years ago '08        #17
Jimmy_TwoTimes 
space
space
$280 | Props total: 0 0
Steeler fan here.

I'd reference stats and other s**t that would point to this being a LOCK game for us if this season had not been as obscure (for us) as it's been, but I will say this:

Oakland is in the basement this year and the Steelers are high in the middle tier - IF Pittsburgh was going to Oakland, we'd have cause for concern - there is something about East Coast teams traveling to the West Coast and getting smashed (I heard Jim Rome discussing this after Cincy lost to you guys - he a.ssumes it has something to do with playing at a time that doesn't feel right for them, among other factors)

However, that isn't the case. I'd pick the Steelers on this even if I wasn't a fan.
 8 years ago '05        #18
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,443 | Props total: 7086 7086
Steelers fans arent posting because we're not concerned with this game. s**t, i'm goin out tonight, probably sleep in till 2 tomorrow and miss the first hour. Not worried in the least.
 8 years ago '07        #19
space
space
 Reppindaburghh said:
Steelers fans arent posting because we're not concerned with this game. s**t, i'm goin out tonight, probably sleep in till 2 tomorrow and miss the first hour. Not worried in the least.
Did u do the same thing when we kicked ur a.ss in Oakland in October of 2006 the last time the Steelers and Raiders played eachother? And we lead the series with u guys all time 10-8 in the regular season with more wins so..............

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by theFREAK; 12-05-2009 at 06:42 PM..
 8 years ago '04        #20
Jasonb619 
space
space
$3,242 | Props total: 60 60
Steeler fans will hit up the thread if they beat oakland, but until then I bet the last few losses keeping them in hiding lol
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
25 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
296 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
50 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
69 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
62 comments
2 days ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy